• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How versitle of a Smash player are you? Take my challenge and find out!

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I bet a lot of you think you're hot stuff, and maybe some of you are. But I don't care. Maybe this seems a bit noobish when I say this, but specialization is not the key to being a good smasher, but rather versatility. Sure, you may be able to rack up the opponent's damage with Wolf or Toon Link, but how are you with say, Mario or Kirby? You also might excel at Smashville or Final Destination, but can you KO at WarioWare Inc. or the Mario Bros. stage? Let's say you are really good with character A. In fact, you can absolutely dominate with him/her/it. But let's also say that someone else likes to use character B, and has specializes in dealing with the tactics of character A. You can't rely on your normal tactics, so you have to improvise or prepare to send your character to Dr. Mario (that's why I think he's not in brawl, too busy healing brawl-related injuries). If you take my challenge, I'm sure you will notice not only a great improvement in your overall smash skills, but also a notable increase in the metagame of your own main character. Here's how it works:

Every day you choose one character to play as and only use them. To warm up with a character, play a level 4 computer on battlefield or final destination. Once you feel ready, try to do as many of these exercises as possible. A good day would involve don't at least 3 of these (PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT YOU CAN USE THE CHARACTER OF THE DAY FOR!! you can do what ever you feel like with them as long as it involves you actually using them):

[ ] Play 3 level 9 computers(make sure they are randomized for optimal training) 3 times on 3 stages youusually do not playon. And no, battlefield, final destination, and smashville don't count (turn on all normal and melee stage for random stages and choose random for best versitility training).
[ ] Clear classic mode on at least 3 difficulty levels without continuing, or jut once on intense without continuing.
[ ] Clear all-star mode on at least 3 difficulty levels without continuing or using a heart container, or just once on intense without continuing/using a heart container.
[ ] Win 3 online matches with that character "With Anyone".
[ ] Set the best record of all the character roster in a stadium event with that character.
[ ] Defeat 15 enemies in cruel brawl or 250 in endless brawl with that character.
[ ] Set your handicap to 180% and battle a level 9 opponent and win (minimum of 5-stock or 5 minutes, best to turn off recovery items) at least once with that character.
[ ] Download a custom stage and do the same thing as the first exercise, only you need only 3 plays for it to count.

Do this with every character and I'm sure you will see a change in your game when you are done! So, will you take the challenge?

Alou

Smash Cadet
If I have the time, then perhaps I will sit down with some random characters and try some of these...if that counts as taking your challenge.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I love this thread..thanks for pointing this out..this takes real skill

itsameSMB

Angewomon

Smash Apprentice
Play 3 level 9 computers(make sure they are randomized for optimal training) 3 times on 3 stages youusually do not playon. And no, battlefield, final destination, and smashville don't count (turn on all normal and melee stage for random stages and choose random for best versitility training).
Done.

Clear classic mode on at least 3 difficulty levels without continuing, or jut once on intense without continuing.
Done.

Clear all-star mode on at least 3 difficulty levels without continuing or using a heart container, or just once on intense without continuing/using a heart container.
Done.

Win 3 online matches with that character "With Anyone".
Done.

Set the best record of all the character roster in a stadium event with that character.
Done.

Defeat 15 enemies in cruel brawl or 250 in endless brawl with that character.
Done.

Set your handicap to 180% and battle a level 9 opponent and win (minimum of 5-stock or 5 minutes, best to turn off recovery items) at least once with that character.
Done.

Download a custom stage and do the same thing as the first exercise, only you need only 3 plays for it to count.
Done.

Wow, I´m a master player! Ok, so I can die and rest in peace now.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
No offense but your idea of versitility is not as good as you would like to do. If I can get the job done with Olimar and Wolf, what is the point of doing it with Jiggs or DK? I like to play with who I like to and who I am good with. While these challenges are entertaining, they do not define someone's skill level, especially playing against unrealistic and perhaps spammable computers.

WR3K

Smash Ace
being able to play woodsball ball good does not make you a better speedballer in paintball

being able to win an F1 race does not mean your place within the top 10 of a nascar race

being a frantic masturbator does not make you McLovin in bed.

specialization is what professionalism is. that does not mean become narrow minded, verstility is key.

but at the same time, your regiment is a little extreme for anyone to bear with characters they dont even care for.

i suggest doing that with the top 3 characters of your choice.

there you go!

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Fighting three level 9's won't help nearly as much as fighting one CPU at a time. How often are you going to fight three people teaming up on you?

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
No offense but your idea of versitility is not as good as you would like to do. If I can get the job done with Olimar and Wolf, what is the point of doing it with Jiggs or DK? I like to play with who I like to and who I am good with. While these challenges are entertaining, they do not define someone's skill level, especially playing against unrealistic and perhaps spammable computers.

I never said that this was... oh wait, I did. What I meant by that is though it is good for you to learn the character you feel comfortable inside and out, you should also be able to adapt or adjust as necessary, as well as have a good grasp of universal tactics (tactics that can be used effectively by everyone) and basics. By temporarily abandoning specialized tactics, you will be forced to develop a strong knowledge of basic tactics and at thte same time learn first-hand the differences between characters and their weaknesses. Once you are done with this challenge, you can go back to playing as your main and you can take what you learned from it and apply it to your meta game. Is versatilty the mark of a good player? No, since adaptablity alone will not be enough to KO your oppenent in higher level play. Is specialization it then? No, since a building is only as strong as its foundation. This challenge will help you with the aspect that is most likely to atrophy as you develop the other one. balance is the key!

As for the computers, you don't have to use computers if you have pals willing to play with you that don't suck. I just say computers because I don't have enough contact with my friends to do this on a daily or even weekly basis, so I described the way I do it.

You don't have to take the challenge if you don't feel like it. Nobody is forcing you. I know you didn't say/imply this in your post, but I'd also like to point out that it may seem ridiculous to some, it works for others, so don't knock it 'till you try it. But if you do try it and don't like it, bash away! I don't care.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, my area isn't too bad in terms of Brawl. Learning new characters isn't a bad thing though I think that if your three "mains" all three have a major weakness, you should attempt to learn another one (though Wolf and Olimar are pretty solid and haven't ran into any who has a bad vibe around both of them)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why the hell would I spend all that time figuring out how to best defeat the computer's lacking AI? No, really, it's really easy to own them, even at lvl 9.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I know I'm a versatile player and I don't need to do all that random computer based shananagins to 'improve' my ability to adapt. You want some real training?

Go competitive in 4 other Genres in gaming.

[ ] FPS
[ ] RTS
[ ] Non-Smash Fighting Game
[ ] TCG / TBS / MMO

When you're considered good in at least 2 games in each of those genres, You can admit versatility. If you still suck after that, you shouldn't be trying to play competitively.

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
Why the hell would I spend all that time figuring out how to best defeat the computer's lacking AI? No, really, it's really easy to own them, even at lvl 9.
How do you find 3 level 9s easy? Seriously, what do you do during a match like that? Especially considering how they gang up on you and what not.

u should rename this thread to "how good are you against stupid computer AI?"
Because it's not like we haven't already had posts like that multiple times in this thread. He already explained himself, so thanks for reading.

Corigames

Smash Hero
If I wanted to find out if I'm a scrub, I would go kick Hugs in the nuts and call him a n00b and have more fun doing it than this waste of time.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
If I wanted to find out if I'm a scrub, I would go kick Hugs in the nuts and call him a n00b and have more fun doing it than this waste of time.
So is that a no? :) Seriously though, it's not like I'm forcing anyone to do this, so I don't know why everyone keeps complaining about this. If you know a method thhat works better for you, do it instead. Better yet, why not enlighten a moron like myself on what it is so that I may try it. The point of the challenge is not to learn how to win these matches or complete the exercises, but to learn how to control the character to do so. The exercises are more like... suggestions for you to learn to use the character.with this, it is the jouney, not the destination, that matters.

I doubt that most will read this though so I guesss I'll have to explain this like 80 more times in the near futre by those who only read the first post. *sigh*

Battousai780

Smash Ace
How do you find 3 level 9s easy? Seriously, what do you do during a match like that? Especially considering how they gang up on you and what not.
Marth + Fsmash = Win.

`Nuff said. :]

Will this help you against a human? Hell ****ing no. (unless they are mentally handicapped, in which case, you probably won't have to do anything to win)

-edit-

So is that a no? :) Seriously though, it's not like I'm forcing anyone to do this, so I don't know why everyone keeps complaining about this. If you know a method thhat works better for you, do it instead. Better yet, why not enlighten a moron like myself on what it is so that I may try it.
Play humans. Many different humans. With different characters and strategies from different areas.

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
Some people just love being totally insensitive to get their oh-so-holy opinions across.

I could understand if someone was being ignorant, but OP was not. He even explained himself, and said you could just fight some real people, but NOOOOO. Let's just add to the pile of repetitive posts!

salaboB

Smash Champion
My problem with all these challenges is that they won't really teach you how each character works. Instead they'll teach you how to position yourself so the computer won't hit you, how to trick the AI into walking into your attacks, how to do hit and runs on computers (the 3v1 modes), and which attacks that character has that the computer is too stupid to avoid.

You do this with a character, you'll have to not use so many of their moves and even worse you'll get used to not using those moves that imo you'll be worse off if you ever do try to use that character in 1v1 or 2v2.

Edit: In the case of the "Win X matches online" one it'll teach you which moves have the greatest usability in lag, which again is going to discourage you from really learning that character's capabilities.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I may be versatile but I'm not good. Computers irritate me, as well as random bombs spawning right in front of a charged smash. There are way too many explosives in this game (deku nut, sticky bomb, bomb omb, smart bomb, flammable box, and the random capsule). With my luck, I end up hitting at least 2 of them per match.

*edit* I find the AI in brawl has actually improved. They still make a few stupid flaws but the characters know what to use and when to use it, which is kind of impressive. I have more trouble with these computers than I did in melee. And does anyone else find level 7s the hardest?

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
I think the "Fight 3 CPU's against you" is pointless. Come on, it's unrealistic, and the lv9 on them won't help in skill... merely exploits.

I can do maybe the Classic one, and the online With Anyone one. I always win on with anyone. :) Well, not always of course! But the majority for me are wins.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Eh, I'l stick to online. I never go tto play people that much with melee, tearing computers up was my pasttime in the past games. I have to ask why everyone ranks on lvl 9 brawl characters. They are quite challenging if you fight them with pure skill rather than pick on their limited tactics. They seem alot smarter than in melee by far.

Anywho, you have a nice thought here, I gained my major skill from computers in melee, and then learned advanced techniques for my character in dittos, and I have been winning more than my fiar share of battles and complimented on my techniques as well, so comptuers are not bad to train on if you fight them as if they were people.

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
Fighting 3 lvl 9 cpus seems to be only good at first but then you notice the many repetitive faults that the cpus have. Its much better to fight against good human opponents. Also, the cpus have a certain style. They're not overly aggressive or defensive. Of course its always good to play cpus to train your reflexes and what not but human players are always preferable when available.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I have an even better challenge. Find a person you can't beat at smash, try to figure out what you're doing wrong and when you finally beat that person...I promise you will see a noticeable change in your skill level.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Some people just love being totally insensitive to get their oh-so-holy opinions across.

I could understand if someone was being ignorant, but OP was not. He even explained himself, and said you could just fight some real people, but NOOOOO. Let's just add to the pile of repetitive posts!
As are you my fellow poster.

The point is that no one beyond a scrub has ever gotten better fighting a computer. You never read a pro's BIO and read, "Well, I didn't have anyone to fight, mostly because I didn't look or was to afraid to go to a tournament, so I played computers. I played lvl 9's so much that I got so good. So, when I went to my first tourny, I was prepared. All those hours spent playing 1 player, training mode, and computer players really paid off!"

NO! Because they know that the only way to get better, gauge yourself, and compare yourself to other players is to PLAY other human players. And since Brawl is online, there is almost no excuse to say there is no one to play.

Play people, Keep track of your wins/losses and your play style. When you've done that, then post about it. Until then, you should just learn spacing and timing when fighting computers instead of trying to master your character solely on them.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Well, I have to agree somewhat with the defenders of the OP, and I also have to agree with the attackers of the OP. My turn? Yeeeeeah, my turn ^^

Most of the tasks are good, yes, but the end result for a good amount of people is probably going to be more of a hindrance on their play rather than an improvement. One should, instead, read up on a character's moveset that is giving them trouble time and time again. I mean, I'm what I consider an adaptive gamer. I'm more natural at my ability, but that doesn't mean that if it's the first game of that genre I pick up I'll be good. Heck, I remember playing DDR for the first time. We were housing a Japanese exchange student or something, and it was the last day, so they have a little party (there were about 20 of them being housed in our area), and they had set-up a first mix for their PS1. I tried it. Yeeeeeah, I got laughed at, even by the Japanese. But since then I've improved my game on that, and when I tried playing Pump It Up, it's the same basic principle, I just had to adjust to the new layout, that is all.

Same thing in Brawl. We all know the buttons. Such and such combination will produce such and such type of move. However, with a human player, then it is far different due to their thought process. There are some players who think more like a computer, and those are the stubborn type of players, the one who refuse to make a workaround because they're positive on their thought of "maybe this time" is going to come through. However, one button combination that is effective with one character does not mean that is effective with another character. THAT'S where the versatility in this game comes from. The player who can realize more readily that such and such a move is not working out and is willing to change their game at risk of loss when pressure is intense is the one who will come out. At first their number of tries is probably going to fail, but in due time they'll know what is good and what is bad. An example is the fact that crouch cancelling is no longer in the game. We'll try it maybe once or twice, but most people will then discard it, realizing that it does not work. Others who are stubborn will try it again and again will end up losing because they are not willing to change their thought process.

And, of course, changing up what games you play helps too. That allows you to play a different mindset, both of your own and of others. An FPS will be infinitely different than what Brawl is, but it helps in the thought that you are trying to read another person's mind for the game. Honestly, I kinda want to go into a psychology class to figure out what a person does when they're feeling like this or that so when I go to a tournament I can read them more easily, figure out how to exploit their problem, give them advice so they're stronger next time I face them and so I have different competition almost ALWAYS in such cases.

Playing competively is not your versatility of characters. It's will, kindness, versatility, insight, adaptation, and many MANY more things.

*skips off to the horizon*

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
What makes you think I didn't read it all the way through? Trying to get better by doing any of the things that was mentioned is what is unproductive.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
If you did, then you would notice that me, including five or so others, have already listed several reasons as to why this only works to a certain degree, therefore your response is not only unnecessary, but makes you look like a complete idiot. You CAN get better by doing things that he has mentioned, but all in one way: Ways to use your character. The application of such uses is what you need other humans for. They'll provide ways out of what you thought worked, as well as provide information on what just frustrates someone even though it doesn't do that much in all reality (Zelda's d-tilt, for example).

Big words does not make one intelligent. Content does.

Top Bottom