• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Nice meeting all the other ganondorfs at CEO. And I apologize to whichever one I drunkenly disrespected on Saturday.

Had a great time.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X what kind of "pivots" are you talking about in the first part? Like out of a dthrow, wd, or wL? Basically move lag?

You can dash pivot without fail? Not even Thomas Tipman claims that lmao. You mean out of a jump? If you're super consistent with pivot jab, any height ftilt, dash attack and dtilt, out of a DD (or even just a dash itself is tough) you sir are pushing the metagame hard and need to get more matches recorded.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
@ X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X what kind of "pivots" are you talking about in the first part? Like out of a dthrow, wd, or wL? Basically move lag?

You can dash pivot without fail? Not even Thomas Tipman claims that lmao. You mean out of a jump? If you're super consistent with pivot jab, any height ftilt, dash attack and dtilt, out of a DD (or even just a dash itself is tough) you sir are pushing the metagame hard and need to get more matches recorded.
By the way you should have came I really want to money match you.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I can do them out of anything. But when I practice, I do it in place. Basically, I can be facing the left and perfect pivot to the right so that I move backwards very slightly and then face the same direction. When I do this pivot facing the right, it turns me around like a regular pivot. But I learned from someone in my scene that the reason I stay the same direction instead of just turning around when I do the right pivot facing left is because I do perfect pivots. I just naturally did them that way when I first learned so now I just do them without even thinking on my right side. Left side I can't perfect pivot, but I pivot obviously.

First of all, I am still not a good player. I got 3rd yesterday in my amateur bracket at my monthly, which would translate to 35th overall. I have a lot of work to do. I don't know all the matchups as well as I should.

But one thing I am good at is tech skill. What do you consider a dash pivot? I believe it's when you dash and then pivot out of the dash correct? If that is the case, I can do that every time on my right side without fail and sometimes on my left side. If that's a super hard technique, I guess I didn't realize it lol. I'm super consistent with pivot jab and dash attack. Pivot dtilt is something I'm working on. And I suck at pivot ftilt, although I can do it if I try enough times lol. I have not practiced doing pivots out of DD enough. I have ****ed around with it and can do it, I just would like to get it down to muscle memory before I start using it. I guess I should start putting together my ability to pivot jab/dash/dtilt with dash pivot and then learn to pivot ftilt.

So if these are things that would be really useful for the Ganon meta, please arm me with some things I can do with this tech skill lol. Because I am definitely not using this stuff as well as I should given the consistency I've obtained.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Pivot jab is insanely good bruh. Like I said in my last post dash pivot DA is mad good too vs falcon approaches especially (many others too). Retreating bair is just not as good as dash pivot ftilt/jab, or even DA in matchups where winning exchanges and re-establishing neutral is most important.

It's basically a huge upgrade to your ground game.

Last edited:

Tribulation

Smash Rookie
Here are two of my matches from the last two tournaments. These are the first time I have beaten both these guys and they are both higher ranked then me, so I'm moving up. I know that at least Eikelmann seemed to care about my progress. Also, I know that I need to work on my edgeguard and the spacing on my moves, but if anyone has any kind of critique, I would like to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m_swE2jjYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctuUFqhrZ3Y

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Day 1 Log entry: Ace and I have been making strides with helping me with my neutral game; and me helping him with his consistency in tech. The battles we have are arduous and demanding but we're determined in our resolve.

smoke weed/natty ice

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Here are two of my matches from the last two tournaments. These are the first time I have beaten both these guys and they are both higher ranked then me, so I'm moving up. I know that at least Eikelmann seemed to care about my progress. Also, I know that I need to work on my edgeguard and the spacing on my moves, but if anyone has any kind of critique, I would like to hear it.

My main critique for you is to crouch more. You're too hasty to go straight to your shield. And getting stuck in your shield can be bad news against spacies. I'd use it more against Falco. But against Fox, it's sometimes better just to crouch in between your fairs instead of trying to shield immediately.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Up to you man. I experiment with that myself.
So my thinking is the dash pivot jab/ftilt is better for micro spacing when you can only dash within your dash dance range. And the dash crouch jab/ftilt is better for macro spacing where you are dashing outside of your dash dance range. But there seem to be certain advantages that both have over the other in different situations. The dash crouch offers you the protection of cc, where as pivots do not. On the other hand, I believe you can act faster out of the pivot than the crouch. Regardless, you can't really pivot out of a dash that is longer than your DD anyway, so you don't really have that option and reversely you can't crouch fast enough out of a dash within DD range.

Alright more discussion time. I'm really getting into Melee right now, so I have a lot of things to say lol. Is crouching out of a wavedash/waveland slower than crouching out of a long dash? I feel like it is, but I am not completely sure. My thinking is replacing dash crouch tilt options with wavedash/waveland crouch tilt options over longer ranges. I know that the former dash crouch methods are crazy good. But I'm not so sure about the wavedash/land options. Feels like the crouch might be a bit slow to be of use against really good opponents.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration

oh god wtf you've changed so much hahaha, can't wait to see you at evo. we all care about your progress here. :)

k so i'm watching now, gonna add what i see as it comes

up throw them and they DI behind? don't dash attack, do bair. if they're gonna land on platform, be ready to cover the whole platform with fair or bair.

https://youtu.be/3m_swE2jjYY?t=2m25s you do up throw, but do you know what would have happened if you did down throw? two things would have happened 1. he would have DI'd behind you which is a free angled down ftilt and at that percent would have likely led up to a kill 2. he DIs forward or neutral which is an easy regrab. in the moment that you know/feel that he will DI behind in most situations, you can do up throw instead of dthrow which will lead into followups on the platforms.

if you're going to be shield grabbing falco, you need to be ASDI'ing away while falco is pressuring your shield.

learn to shield drop. why? look at https://youtu.be/3m_swE2jjYY?t=3m10s and tell me how things would have been different if you implemented a defensive OR even an aggressive shield drop option.

https://youtu.be/3m_swE2jjYY?t=4m25s what are some other options that you think you could have used there? jab is one of them, and likely the best in situations where falco is using up b above the ledge at that angle. remember this.

amazing up smash to end game 2, remember that wait/option vs floaty characters, especially vs peach.

https://youtu.be/3m_swE2jjYY?t=7m38s opt for up air spike in this situation.

gotta stop critique for now, but overall i'm very very impressed with your improvements. ****'s crazy. work on your followups, edgeguarding, and knowing which throws to use and when.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
How come I go to CEO and the only Ganon I play are Ian, Yort, and some other guy that Ian introduced me to but I forgot his name rofl.

Man I wanted to play renth, spider sense, and all the other good ganons. RockCrock was there but ****, I was lazy to play him :(

Эикельманн [РУС]

How come I go to CEO and the only Ganon I play are Ian, Yort, and some other guy that Ian introduced me to but I forgot his name rofl.

Man I wanted to play renth, spider sense, and all the other good ganons. RockCrock was there but ****, I was lazy to play him :(
i got to mm rock crock a couple of times actually. it was nice getting to play with a legend. you shouldn't have been lazy wtf. you'll probably never see him again lol

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
I can do them out of anything. But when I practice, I do it in place. Basically, I can be facing the left and perfect pivot to the right so that I move backwards very slightly and then face the same direction. When I do this pivot facing the right, it turns me around like a regular pivot. But I learned from someone in my scene that the reason I stay the same direction instead of just turning around when I do the right pivot facing left is because I do perfect pivots. I just naturally did them that way when I first learned so now I just do them without even thinking on my right side. Left side I can't perfect pivot, but I pivot obviously.

First of all, I am still not a good player. I got 3rd yesterday in my amateur bracket at my monthly, which would translate to 35th overall. I have a lot of work to do. I don't know all the matchups as well as I should.

But one thing I am good at is tech skill. What do you consider a dash pivot? I believe it's when you dash and then pivot out of the dash correct? If that is the case, I can do that every time on my right side without fail and sometimes on my left side. If that's a super hard technique, I guess I didn't realize it lol. I'm super consistent with pivot jab and dash attack. Pivot dtilt is something I'm working on. And I suck at pivot ftilt, although I can do it if I try enough times lol. I have not practiced doing pivots out of DD enough. I have ****ed around with it and can do it, I just would like to get it down to muscle memory before I start using it. I guess I should start putting together my ability to pivot jab/dash/dtilt with dash pivot and then learn to pivot ftilt.

So if these are things that would be really useful for the Ganon meta, please arm me with some things I can do with this tech skill lol. Because I am definitely not using this stuff as well as I should given the consistency I've obtained.
Vid or RIOT

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
lol jason dave would drink natty ice. we'll get some matches when there's more than 2 setups, whens the next vs?
Next Sunday bruh. And lol, I have some neighbors that sell basically everything under the sun next door to me. Natty ice $1 is the only beer they sell LOL. Hit me up when you're back, back from Cali, Cali.

Also for those who care I entered another tournament, no vids, beat a sheik that couldn't DI, beat a falco that had weak laser control, lost to my boy porkchops again and had to forfeit, lol.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well my DI was abysmal lol. I should have caught more turnips, less b-moves, less flubs, approach less, etc. Those accidental fsmashes lol.

My DI is the first thing to go when drinking though

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Vid or RIOT
Here to oblige. I just created a 5 minute video detailing my method for the dash pivot and a few applications of it off the top of my head. I talk about the difference between perfect pivoting where you face the same direction and regular pivots where you change directions and how they can be used in the neutral. You can watch me perform it multiple times with little difficulty while simultaneously talking. It's uploading at the moment, but you should be able to view it soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkDDb8Ny4k&feature=youtu.be

But to add to what I talk about in my video, these pivots can be really good for tech chases and punishes off throws because of how you change direction so quickly. For example, a classic thing fast fallers will do is DI one direction off your throw and tech the opposite direction. So a pivot before performing something that would cover multiple options like down-b or dsmash can be good. Or in a floatier example, if you dthrow a Marth and they DI behind at medium to higher percents, you could pivot quick enough to get a fair off. I'm sure a lot of you know this, but hopefully this gives some people some ideas.

Last edited:

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
So Armada, Rik, and Voorhese (two of the three best in Indiana, alongside LanceinthePants), are going to be housed by my friend who lives ~10 minutes away for FC. I have never been this excited about ****. Armada is going to be at our local game shop tomorrow playing friendlies. Gotta channel that Bizz.

Эикельманн [РУС]

So Armada, Rik, and Voorhese (two of the three best in Indiana, alongside LanceinthePants), are going to be housed by my friend who lives ~10 minutes away for FC. I have never been this excited about ****. Armada is going to be at our local game shop tomorrow playing friendlies. Gotta channel that Bizz.
or channel eikelmann if he goes peach vs you.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So I got high last night and played a lot of Melee. I now understand why Linguini would get high and just play super well at tournaments. I actually have that entire play session recorded as a matter of fact. I might upload it later this week once I get my hands on the footage again.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So I got high last night and played a lot of Melee. I now understand why Linguini would get high and just play super well at tournaments. I actually have that entire play session recorded as a matter of fact. I might upload it later this week once I get my hands on the footage again.
Lol the weed gives random results.. wouldnt trust it unless you continuously play under the influence in training.

Top Bottom