• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
when did he critique your sets?
Just last night actually. He does match analysis on Mondays if you're a sub. I subbed to him and he critiqued one match (since he only has so much time). I'm gonna try to get Wobbles to analyze the whole set, since he does whole sets and not just individual games.

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle I hear ya man. Here's to next time that I face him in tournament that I beat him.

Cav

Smash Rookie
What should i practice next as ganon after im comfortable with SHFFLs, wavedashes and wavelanding?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
What should i practice next as ganon after im comfortable with SHFFLs, wavedashes and wavelanding?
Spacing. Learn how to put out your moves in just the right places at just the right times. Spacing when you're moving around, when you throw out a move, when you control space, etc. It's such an overlooked fundamental at low levels because it's not apparent to most players at that level of just how important it is, so in basic terms, I could tell you that you should try to hit with the very tips of your moves on players, and that you should only throw out a move if it will absolutely come into contact with your opponent. Finding a good balance between the two is crucial.

tm

Smash Ace
Ill rep the ganondorf at Sweet :)

Btw tm it was because of u that i learned shielddropping. I was so mind****ed when u did it vs me at tbh4 i just felt the urge to forfeit
loooool. Well I'm glad I inspired you somehow. You're one of my favorite players to watch. Let's play again at Sweet, and good luck!

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle @ Coastward Coastward JUST GO

Coastward

Smash Lord
loooool. Well I'm glad I inspired you somehow. You're one of my favorite players to watch. Let's play again at Sweet, and good luck!

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle @ Coastward Coastward JUST GO
id need to reg tonight which would be impossible for me. i have a bit too much on my hands right now, but ill defnitely make it down again the next time, michigan is fun as ****.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
So, this is a pretty cool trick.

https://gfycat.com/DistantPleasantArkshell

edit: thanks, Coast.

Another question here: when can you grab a spacie's dash attack? Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Sometimes, you can't even grab it when they hit your shield facing the other way.

One trick that I do is light shield if I can expect it, but that's obviously very heavily read based, rather than reaction based.

Last edited:

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
You can crouch cancel their dash attack. When you are at a lower percentage, just crouch cancel to grab. When you are at a higher percentage, hold your control stick down and hit L/R to tech while getting hit by the dash-attack in order to tech in place and grab right away (assuming their dash attack ends in front of you).

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Thanks Bizz. But I meant if you're already shielding. CC is a really good option for a lot of things in the fox / falco matchup though (as long as they don't dair). That insta-tech is really, really good though, I like to use it against falcon's side-b

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I _just_ noticed that you could advertise your mains on your smashboards account. Cool.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I would argue that Ganon is so slow when he's dashing that it's actually faster (and easier) to just WD forward and turnaround ftilt instead of dashing forward and doing a pivot ftilt. You could even dash till you start running and then crouch turn around into an ftilt (but that might be too slow because you have to wait to get out of crouching animation and are fully standing before you can turn, which takes a good few frames). Pivoting out of a dash is really useful for characters with a good dash dance, since Ganondorf does not have this, I personally believe it's not as useful in terms of how fast and how far you can reach with the WD to turn around ftilt as compared to the dash forward to pivot ftilt. Not to mention how much easier it is to just WD forward and ftilt back, or even just WD back into an ftilt.

If you fail the pivot ftilt (which I definitely think is much harder than a shield drop btw) and do a pivot fsmash, more likely than not it will be too slow for it to work, but it might be useful if you know your opponent is going to try to grab you, but I feel like that option doesn't come out until way later when you condition them. Fsmash is not safe on shield if they shield DI... maybe even without shield DI they can still just WD oos and grab you while you're still in fsmash lag. It's really a terrible move overall. If you miss with a dash-attack or hit their shield that is really easy to punish also. Failing the pivot ftilt is a huge detriment, so that's why I'm advocating a bit for the WD to ftilt instead.
Pivot ftilt is alot faster than WD ftilt, but doesn't reach as far. WD ftilt is fine, but you need both imo. One day someonr will master this, and we can see how useful it is.

Top Bottom