• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Cytosquid

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm super new, (just getting past learning to l-cancel and such) and I'm really digging ganon. I've read some of the guides here on the ganon boards but I wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

What do you think is the best stuff to work on to get better?

I'm usually playing against falco and getting dair'd out of existance. I also always hear that ganon has good edgeguarding capability but I don't really know how to pull that off.

Cytosquid

Smash Rookie
Learn how to deal with Falco's lasers. They won't be frustrating after you do. Powershield, wd away oos, wait for your openings.
Is there some reason why wd away is better? Wouldn't that just lead to getting shot more?

On a side note, do you think it's more important to practice combos or neutral in terms of a first step?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Is there some reason why wd away is better? Wouldn't that just lead to getting shot more?
Getting shot more doesn't matter when you handle lasers well. Falco can jump over your PS'd laser and be right in your face. You want to be close enough to stuff approaches, but when he has frame advantage wd back or take a platform

Cytosquid

Smash Rookie
Getting shot more doesn't matter when you handle lasers well. Falco can jump over your PS'd laser and be right in your face. You want to be close enough to stuff approaches, but when he has frame advantage wd back or take a platform
So the powershield is to stop from taking the damage and stun and the wavedash oos is more to stop him from using the lasers to approach whenever he wants?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So the powershield is to stop from taking the damage and stun and the wavedash oos is more to stop him from using the lasers to approach whenever he wants?
The ps also stops him from lasering as much and he starts second guessing his approaches which helps you.

If he does approach successfully, just shield the aerial and the first shine, then roll/aerial/grab depending on the situation. If you know you'll be hit, SDI away.

Last edited:

Cytosquid

Smash Rookie
The ps also stops him from lasering as much and he starts second guessing his approaches which helps you.

If he does approach successfully, just shield the aerial and the first shine, then roll/aerial/grab depending on the situation. If you know you'll be hit, SDI away.
In this situation is dair an option? I feel like it's too slow and i'll just get jabbed or something but i might be wrong

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Can I dash wd forward sh after a knockdown, and then react to whatever he techs with a waveland? I actually wanna try that out now
You can't react to everything. In theory you could probably get everything except getup attack by jumping at the right time so that you could simply land and grab tech in place, or wL grab rolls. But it's just not practical. There will always be some guesswork involved.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure you can't, you don't have enough time to distinguish between tech roll/in place/ no tech.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Human reaction is about 15 frames, no tech takes 20. Normal landing lag is five, and to be able to waveland to cover rolls you need to land after you have reacted to their option. Therefore you are actionable earliest at the 20th frame when doing this, meaning you can't cover all options. It's really hard to see a difference between tech options, you have to see tech in place within the first 3 frames to be able to jab tech in place on reaction.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Human reaction is about 15 frames, no tech takes 20. Normal landing lag is five, and to be able to waveland to cover rolls you need to land after you have reacted to their option. Therefore you are actionable earliest at the 20th frame when doing this, meaning you can't cover all options. It's really hard to see a difference between tech options, you have to see tech in place within the first 3 frames to be able to jab tech in place on reaction.
What do you mean no-tech takes 20 frames? Tech in place is 30 frames in total, for comparison.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
the bounce lasts 20 frames, they can act after that. Also tech in place is 26 frames, where the last 6 frames are vulnerable (2 for pikachu and pichu).

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What do you mean no-tech takes 20 frames? Tech in place is 30 frames in total, for comparison.
Both no-tech (versions of DownBound) and tech in place are 26 frames for all characters. Everyone except pikachu/pichu are vulnerable during the last 6 frames of tech in place.

Edit:Ninja'd rofl

Last edited:

Cytosquid

Smash Rookie
Actually as a follow up, can someone give me the general breakdown on ganons oos options? I just end up sitting there wondering what to do and then get grabbed every time...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Actually as a follow up, can someone give me the general breakdown on ganons oos options? I just end up sitting there wondering what to do and then get grabbed every time...
What matchup?

I just tired finding an old post of mine in this, this is all i found, getting tired so i gave up. im sure i posted a general rundown for what to do vs falco somewhere... oh well. shielding vs him isn't nearly as bad as shielding too much vs falcon or fox.

https://smashboards.com/threads/how...uini-q-a-thread.215432/page-601#post-20783255

Last edited:

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Hey Ganons, I do go on all the low tier boards, but I actually main Ganon and Bowser, how is everyone? And can I have the link to the ganon discord?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What matchup?

I just tired finding an old post of mine in this, this is all i found, getting tired so i gave up. im sure i posted a general rundown for what to do vs falco somewhere... oh well. shielding vs him isn't nearly as bad as shielding too much vs falcon or fox.

https://smashboards.com/threads/how...uini-q-a-thread.215432/page-601#post-20783255
Id rather take 50 lasers at this point and either CC to have more actionable frames to defend myself or just take it and have sick DI to prevent follow ups. I feel like this is the best strat to discourage lasers because its possible to combine CC and SDI. PSing them at times is ofc a good strat too if you can do it with good % rate. Shielding it should be last resort imo but its important to mix all 4 of those options at first ya?

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah, CC and SDI mean a lot when you're close to falco.
That tech can be used to survive at absurd % too. I remember doing CC+SDI and i wasnt even close to dying from a knee at 160. lol This game is broken/too deep. Defensive options are nowhere near mastered.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Is shielding really that bad? If laser is staled (which it usually is, and ofc you can also just take 1 laser to make it staled), shield lag is only 5 frames total, which is the least you can get vs laser. Even crouching you get 7 frames of lag, and you're less often in position to crouch than shield. Just got to act fast out of stun.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
That tech can be used to survive at absurd % too. I remember doing CC+SDI and i wasnt even close to dying from a knee at 160. lol This game is broken/too deep. Defensive options are nowhere near mastered.
I believe you Kage, but don't be surprised if other people need video evidence, just like me magically amsah teching rest.

:denzel:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Well, crouching will make you survive significantly longer, but if you could crouch, you could as well just shield with better result.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lasers keep you in shield stun, even fox's lasers do that
Yeah but unless you're really close up shielding is fine vs Falco. Ganon's oos options make more sense vs Falco than vs fox/falcon. Stage positioning matters but in most cases you're fine with shield DI + appropriate option. Falco's grab follow-ups are ****.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Is shielding really that bad? If laser is staled (which it usually is, and ofc you can also just take 1 laser to make it staled), shield lag is only 5 frames total, which is the least you can get vs laser. Even crouching you get 7 frames of lag, and you're less often in position to crouch than shield. Just got to act fast out of stun.
Today I learned something new about Falco's lasers. I never considered what they do when they stale, I guess cause I never thought they staled LOL

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Today I learned something new about Falco's lasers. I never considered what they do when they stale, I guess cause I never thought they staled LOL
I learned only 6 months ago that damage is floored for shield stun calculation, which makes the difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom