• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to take my game to the next level

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You use math, we say maths. We say sport, you say sports. Cultural differences.

American football is great. Basketball is fine. I like racquet sports too. Baseball, on the other hand...I'm sorry, but that is quite likely the most boring spectator sport I've encountered. I would honestly prefer to watch something mundane like billiards or darts.
How about cricket then huh?

Football is fun to watch but there are so many commercials. The TD commercial Kickoff commercial stretch is brutal.

Also football would be way better to watch if the camera was behind the offense.

India and China are poorer countries and dont have much tradition in olympic sports. You gotta give them time and YES they will pwn every other country probably IF they do get focussed at it. In fact, China already pwned usa in Beijing @ medals.
Landon Donovan would be a good reinforcement for the spanish team...
for warming up the bench and cleaning Xavi and Villa's boots.
Uh the US won the most medals in Beijing, sorry.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yes I knew that but you said "most medals".
I didnt say most medals, i said "pwned in medals" :p
gold > all
Anyway, yeah my point is clear that the larger a country is, the more advantage they have.
If China keeps the effort on olympics we should expect them to dominate as they have 1300 million inhabitants lol

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
How about cricket then huh?
I find Cricket just as hard to watch as I do baseball lol. Playing it is just as bad for me, especially if you're fielding - standing in Australian sun for hours on end is lame.

Watching and playing Aussie Rules is the greatest though, more countries should give it a go =D

walsh

Smash Cadet
I was, at a point, Now 7/9/2010 i'm super rusty and are horrible. But back in 07 and 08 and stuff i was new, I didn't get good till i forced space. When i started forcing people to be so far away from me so i could hit them at where i wanted on my hit box i started getting good. Also when i started playing Mario, Luigi, Falcon and stuff i started to get good also. Back when im talking about with zenyore i use to lose to him, fire, holy, NEAR, and lots of people lol. To think i was so nubish to lose to someone Stoned iXi or Scampy back in 07. Ah, such bad times.
I feel you bro, my football team back in high school was so close to winning state! I could throw 50 yarders like it was no one's business. If Robbie Williams hadn't dropped that last pass in the final 5 seconds of the 4th quarter, I definitely wouldn't be standing here at this college party 15 years down the road still wearing my letter jacket.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I think I get better by isolating moves in my game play. To see whats nessisary, and whats my own bias of move sets. I spend about a week or 2 at a time picking a random move, and in predictable situation, I set my default go-to move (in my head) to that move. It doesn't make you win more, but you find the turn-around situations your looking for by testing for them. The knowledge that I take away is only bits and scraps of information, but you never know when their useful.

IMO this way of training also develops a more well rounded character as long as you don't just have a fair-weather stance on moves, which would just cause worse biases to form.

The hardest things to eliminate from your game play is core-moves (such as a grab for DK and Falcon) but you don't have to be completely ridged about it. Its more like a guide-line to discovering different move sets, and combos.

Again, you don't win many matches by doing this, but I think it gives a new edge to your game when you revert back to using your full range of moves.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
is it harder to go from complete noob to average than it is to go from average to "pro"?

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
I find Cricket just as hard to watch as I do baseball lol. Playing it is just as bad for me, especially if you're fielding - standing in Australian sun for hours on end is lame.

Watching and playing Aussie Rules is the greatest though, more countries should give it a go =D
Shhh.

-.- **** Doublepost

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
uhhhhh no. People get to the "average level" without really trying.
+1 to that, it's easier to pick up the basics rather than the more advanced techinques.

As a general tip to improve I'd say to pick a character that forces you to play smarter to win, like Samus.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
dont agree at "without really trying".
A lot of people (especially noobs) usually try hard because in this way they dont look as terrible and also in 95% of cases they hate losing.

Whats "average level" anyway?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Whats "average level" anyway?
bout 10million above your level

/hate

not really, you can get to an average level without vsing real people:
just look up yoshi combo
pikachu combo
etc.. on youtube

spend 5 -15 minutes practising it,
and your a fairly average pikachu/yoshi/falcon/luigi/jigglypuff if you can pull it off 50% of the time after that

NixxxoN

Smash Master
huh what
you will always be a sh¡t player if you never played real people LOL
CPU's are dumb and its not all about combos, its also about spacing, reading, mindgames... that you only improve by playig a lot

I know smash isnt really martial arts, but colour belts exist for a reason.

Theres way more besides "noobs", "average players" and "pros" IMO

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Boom is black
Johnny is black with 1 tip
Isai is black with 2 tips (4 if it is Pikachu/Fox lololol).
Tigerbombz is probably Brown.
I am Green or Blue. Someone like Frogles or Nintendude I guess is Red.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I think I get better by isolating moves in my game play. To see whats nessisary, and whats my own bias of move sets. I spend about a week or 2 at a time picking a random move, and in predictable situation, I set my default go-to move (in my head) to that move. It doesn't make you win more, but you find the turn-around situations your looking for by testing for them. The knowledge that I take away is only bits and scraps of information, but you never know when their useful.

IMO this way of training also develops a more well rounded character as long as you don't just have a fair-weather stance on moves, which would just cause worse biases to form.

The hardest things to eliminate from your game play is core-moves (such as a grab for DK and Falcon) but you don't have to be completely ridged about it. Its more like a guide-line to discovering different move sets, and combos.

Again, you don't win many matches by doing this, but I think it gives a new edge to your game when you revert back to using your full range of moves.
I was never good with link and because he was one of the characters I lacked skill with, I decided to pick him up last week in the hopes of improving my game. After playing a few matches online, I came to see that I relied/spammed boomerangs, dsmashes and utilts. For the past week I took those three elemenets out of my game entirely and thus have now developed a solid use for all of his airials. During these 5-7 days of just playing without these moves (i forced myself not to do them) I lost almost all my matches due to being gimped constantly. Though I would win the occasional few out of skill the rest were just humiliating defeats. However just yesterday I reintroduced the utlit and boomerang back into my game and like magic my link improved tenfold. I now had very good shield pressure utilizinf the sh dairs and bairs followed by utilts and my recovery improved with the use of the boomerang to ward of edguarders. Since I do not rely on these moves anymore, I really feel taking them out and improving your other strategies is important. I have completly removed the dsmash from my game (because I now realise its more situational than reliable). Try if with a character your not good with and take a week to boost someone elses ego. I guarentee when you come back, youll be much better

Battlecow

Play to Win
Boom is black
Johnny is black with 1 tip
Isai is black with 2 tips (4 if it is Pikachu/Fox lololol).
Tigerbombz is probably Brown.
I am Green or Blue. Someone like Frogles or Nintendude I guess is Red.
So there's more of a difference between you and tigerbombz than between you and a total beginner? huh.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I still suck pretty bad at this game D: Even after my months being on and off of it...
Best i could say is practice up against different people until you know you're at the top of your game. Is better than thinking you've de-rusted, and go get ***** by expert player you used to match up against and go even with.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So there's more of a difference between you and tigerbombz than between you and a total beginner? huh.
Because it does not take nearly as long to get into the game and be average than it takes to become one of the top players. Just look at Isai/Boom/the other top people who can 4/5 stock people who are above average.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
huh i thought you were better koro

I'd say

white would be a kirby noob
yellow would be a non-kirby low level player
orange would be a falcon scrub (grab uairs up+b) with poor skills at everything else
EDIT: orange accpeted for pika scrubs too.
green woud be a player who can use several chars at a decent level
blue would be a player who can use several chars at at better level than green and knows more stuff in general
the other colours are like blue, but better each time

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Why such bias against kirby

Just because a noob uses kirby doesn't mean they're worse than another noob...in fact they're probably better, because the most obvious thing that represents skill is the ability to win...

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Why such bias against kirby

Just because a noob uses kirby doesn't mean they're worse than another noob...in fact they're probably better, because the most obvious thing that represents skill is the ability to win...
Kirby is by far the easiest to use at noob level. A noob who manages to keep up against a kirby noob with another character, is a better player in my opinion

DMoogle

A$
Kirby is by far the easiest to use at noob level. A noob who manages to keep up against a kirby noob with another character, is a better player in my opinion
I was about to say the same thing, but if you read what cheeseball wrote carefully, he said it's the most OBVIOUS thing that represents skill, not necessarily the most... representative. Players who think on a higher level than noobs are going to be able to look beyond that.
Kirby is cool, Falcon is easy
I agree, Kirby is cool, but he's definitely easier than Falcon (albeit maybe not by that much).

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
all i mean is kirby is hated for generally Utilt & Dair spam...but i mean if you look at falcon and pikachu...you are going to have to deal with the same kinda thing from anyone who isnt creative / informed

kirby is just really ...ugh....tabuu?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Kirby's more annoying. That's a subjective opinion, but one that most people seem to share. I love playing against all falcons and virtually all pikachus.

DMoogle

A$
I never really thought Kirby was all that annoying. Maybe I've just come to accept the up-tilts.

I find fighting Fox the most annoying, followed by Link, way more than anyone else.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Fox and Kirby are both so annoying but in different ways. Kirby is more annoying because of the ridicilous hitboxes and overpowered attacks. Fox is annoying because he doesnt let you play

Falcon can be pretty annoying too

And Pikachu beats them all, its a hitbox machine like Kirby but faster and a bit beter

asianaussie

Smash Hero
God I hate Fox...especially those who can shine projectiles back without standing in place...

Fox isn't the best camper, but he beats all the other campers, so I'm not sure who to call the best camper anymore...probably Mario...

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Pikachu camping is something awful....you dont get spammed with projectiles so much but...well you dont really do anything else either

a lot of priority and huge hitboxs to get away from :o

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
God I hate Fox...especially those who can shine projectiles back without standing in place...

Fox isn't the best camper, but he beats all the other campers, so I'm not sure who to call the best camper anymore...probably Mario...
fox is the best camper. best projectile use>high a** priority

NixxxoN

Smash Master
How is link good on dreamland? And the same for fox, i think they can be chased easily there as its a small stage, they have no room to camp, and they can be gimped quickly (spamming campers ask to be gimped imo)

Smash

Smash Rookie
Get one of these. Best way to play on N64 which has not delays and actually be able to play the game without a super sticky controller and messed up analog.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Get one of these. Best way to play on N64 which has not delays and actually be able to play the game without a super sticky controller and messed up analog.

Wow I can't believe that name hadn't been taken already.

Top Bottom