• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to take my game to the next level

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I've played this game for about a year now and i've been stuck at the same skill level for a few months. I've mastered basic skills like z-cancel, short-hop, DJC, and basic mind games. What do I need to learn to take my game to the "pro" level.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Play people who are better than you, acknowledge that they're better than you, and keep playing. Ragequitting in the middle of a match you can't win isn't going to make you better.

rpotts

Smash Lord
smashboards is the worst place to be if you ACTUALLY want to get better at smash. Go play and never come here again. You'll be pro status in 2 weeks tops.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
smashboards is the worst place to be if you ACTUALLY want to get better at smash. Go play and never come here again. You'll be pro status in 2 weeks tops.
sure thing buddy

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
thats pretty much all the important stuff u need to know if u ask me, next level is to not get mindwhored. learn a few more techs like shield platform drop and other useful ****. watch s2j's vids, im not quite sure if he still doing some

but yeah, mindgames are pretty much all in this game.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Play people who are better than you, acknowledge that they're better than you, and keep playing. Ragequitting in the middle of a match you can't win isn't going to make you better.
what this guy said..outside the flame, make up with the people you got angry with before. Play good people and only good people. Make yourself less predictable and just space well.

You can be incredibly good at Z-canceling and short hopping but it does not mean S*** if you can't space/you are incredibly predictable (Unless you main Kirby, wut)

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Once you got the mechanics of the game done
you just gotta learn mindgames,
and making the right choices
as well as comboing

NTA

Smash Lord

yeah battlemilk would know
all the matches we had and stuff hes quit about 10 of them out of 9

EDIT: im thinking of milk ixi

zenyores too good :D

Agent_21

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I was stuck at the same spot too, after I got ***** by A$ I found the missing piece that all pros seem to do. When you are counter attacking, you have to make every hit count, by that I mean you need to start a combo with every hit you are taking. This pays off greatly as I watch A$ play me, every hit he does starts a combo.

NTA

Smash Lord
yeah play jamie alot
his samus is hax and its bs to get caught in bs combos full of bs
but jamie pwns with samus play it about 200 times andd then 200 more and youll be ready :D

NTA

Smash Lord
yeah play jamie alot
his samus is hax and its bs to get caught in bs combos full of bs
but jamie pwns with samus play it about 200 times andd then 200 more and youll be ready :D

DMoogle

A$
I feel like I was stuck at the same spot too, after I got ***** by A$ I found the missing piece that all pros seem to do. When you are counter attacking, you have to make every hit count, by that I mean you need to start a combo with every hit you are taking. This pays off greatly as I watch A$ play me, every hit he does starts a combo.
Actually I think this is more of a stylistic thing. I think I put more emphasis on combos than most people, because combos are one of my favorite things about this game. However, there are definitely some successful players who focus more on hitting hard and getting their opponent off the stage. Not Frogles and, to a lesser extent, SheerMadness are two examples that come to mind, IMO. A lot of players who main Pikachu too.

Battlecow

Play to Win
yeah battlemilk would know
all the matches we had and stuff hes quit about 10 of them out of 9

EDIT: im thinking of milk ixi

zenyores too good :D
I was about to say. I don't ragequit.

Be happy to play you sometime, though, to illustrate the superior taste of my milk.

That came out wrong.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Play people who are better then you and just keep playing them over and over no matter how many times you lose or how mad you get. Worked for me, ask zenywhore he use to be able take my jigglypuff and kick it like a soccer ball across the Atlantic ocean.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
soccer football

Spain made it to the finals.
Ze Germans got pwned. Spain best national team in the world, 3/4 of the team are actually Barça

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, well, Soccer ain't our sport. You know what our sport is? Super Smash Bros. That's right. We'll take you Spanish dip****s in that any day.

Also Basketball, football, baseball, Dodgeball, Women's fast pitch softball, aerobic gymnastics, staring contests, Lacrosse, and ultimate frisbee.

Get at us.

dandan

Smash Lord
Yeah, well, Soccer ain't our sport. You know what our sport is? Super Smash Bros. That's right. We'll take you Spanish dip****s in that any day.

Also Basketball, football, baseball, Dodgeball, Women's fast pitch softball, aerobic gymnastics, staring contests, Lacrosse, and ultimate frisbee.

Get at us.
isn't baseball japan's game now :p
and the us are not the strongest in gymnastics, that is for sure.

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Get at us.
lol
take it easy american fanboy.
basically the bigger country = the more possibilities of better people at anything.
The country comparison at the olympics or other competitive stuff is so unfair for the smaller countries. Europe vs USA would be more fair.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
So China should be like 6x as good as the US at everything right?

And India is really tearing up the olympics too :p

Also the top American athletes probably aren't playing soccer

P.S. Landon Donovan > Spanish team

Battlecow

Play to Win
isn't baseball japan's game now :p
and the us are not the strongest in gymnastics, that is for sure.
AEROBIC gymnastics. It's a joke, because that's a really lame sport.

And before Cheeseball gets here, that post was made in jest.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Now now, I could care less about how good America is at sport. I do know that they invented quite possibly the best spectator sport on earth - American football.

Australia wins at aussie rules football

yeah

Battlecow

Play to Win
Now now, I could care less about how good America is at sport. I do know that they invented quite possibly the best spectator sport on earth - American football.
Seriously? Because I live in and love America, and I kinda think football is stupid. Always been more of a baseball/basketball guy. I always assumed that you had to be raised in a football-crazed culture to love it.

Oh, and I love how you use the singular of "sports" to denote all of them. You Aussies *shakes head*

BTW- When I say football, I mean football, not that silly alt name for soccer that you non-americans use*

*I'm not serious.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You use math, we say maths. We say sport, you say sports. Cultural differences.

American football is great. Basketball is fine. I like racquet sports too. Baseball, on the other hand...I'm sorry, but that is quite likely the most boring spectator sport I've encountered. I would honestly prefer to watch something mundane like billiards or darts.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You use math, we say maths. We say sport, you say sports. Cultural differences.

American football is great. Basketball is fine. I like racquet sports too. Baseball, on the other hand...I'm sorry, but that is quite likely the most boring spectator sport I've encountered. I would honestly prefer to watch something mundane like billiards or darts.
We say tomato, you say tomato. And baseball is shizzy- it takes a while, sure, but it gets really intense. I suppose it's subjective, but me and the rest of America/Japan/Nicaragua/Cuba like it.

Anyways, the greatest specator sport (not counting SSB) is fencing. Hands down. You have to know a little about it to get it, but to the trained eye, that **** is off the hook.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
So China should be like 6x as good as the US at everything right?

And India is really tearing up the olympics too :p

Also the top American athletes probably aren't playing soccer

P.S. Landon Donovan > Spanish team
India and China are poorer countries and dont have much tradition in olympic sports. You gotta give them time and YES they will pwn every other country probably IF they do get focussed at it. In fact, China already pwned usa in Beijing @ medals.
Landon Donovan would be a good reinforcement for the spanish team...
for warming up the bench and cleaning Xavi and Villa's boots.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
I thought you were already god at SSB64?

I was, at a point, Now 7/9/2010 i'm super rusty and are horrible. But back in 07 and 08 and stuff i was new, I didn't get good till i forced space. When i started forcing people to be so far away from me so i could hit them at where i wanted on my hit box i started getting good. Also when i started playing Mario, Luigi, Falcon and stuff i started to get good also. Back when im talking about with zenyore i use to lose to him, fire, holy, NEAR, and lots of people lol. To think i was so nubish to lose to someone Stoned iXi or Scampy back in 07. Ah, such bad times.

Top Bottom