• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to spike with marth?

Archimonde

Smash Rookie
I understand there are a few ways. (d-air,DancingB)

But how do you actually set these up. Im having real trouble spiking people, I usually just fall to my doom since d-air has huge lag after its use.

How could i set the enemy up so i CAN spike.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
To elaborate on Sasuke Bowser, if you footstool and then do a dair as fast as you can, it'll meteor smash the opponent. Also, it is easy to tip the dair if you are facing away from the opponent. hope this helps.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
According to this video the most effective way against MetaKnight is...taunting
(forgive me, I know it's an oldie but I had to post it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1XMOLixxjA&fmt=18

Edit: But not to make this post completely pointless, what ike is solid is talking about has been called "Vertical Space" (or Vertical Spacing). Search for it under that title.

And remember, you don't have to spike in order to gimp

Archimonde

Smash Rookie
Ok i am going to final destination and i wont come off the wii until i learn vertical spacing :)

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
Rising dair - I like to use Cstick for this
tipping from the front isnt hard
as long as you hit the tip from a circumfrence of the move then it will send them down

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
OverB towards the stage, so you can take advantage of the Dair's huge range behind marth..

Also, second jump JUST before you you use Dair, so the insane lag won't force you to SD. And when done on top of an opponent, should result in an instant Vertical Spacing ..whateverspike thing.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
if you're falling to your death it's probably because you are fastfalling it. to avoid this make sure you are still on the way up from your jump when you use his dair. Also, RAR it because it's much easier to spike from the back.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
I've never heard of verticle spacing it doesn't really make sense to me since you need spacing for every spike but either way I can explain it to you since it is a pain to get and much different than in Melee.

Firstit depends on which way you are facing. If you are facing toward your opponent the spike initiates right after you do it, right before Marth's sword passes his legs but this is difficult spacing. If you are facing away from your opponent it's much easier. It spikes when Marth's arm is almost full extended like at a 45 degree angle.

This is WAY easier because you can set things up easily. Once your opponent is off the stage it gets pretty simple to either jump off backwards and spike them since they won't expect the move or grab the ledge and drop off to double jump and spike. Sometimes you can just stay on the stage facing away and spike characters with verticle recovery like snake or DDD in some cases. Just practice it it gets pretty easy and he has a great spike. Also if you look up SSBB Marth combo vid on youtube the good ones will be doing spikes. Hope this helps.

Also with some characters (heavy ones usually) if you stand about a characters length from the ledge and forward throw them off and jump and dair from 0-30% you will spike them like definately almost it's strange. I can't think of who right now but I know Ike and Snake are a couple fo them. Ike definately but don't quote me on Snake.

Archimonde

Smash Rookie
I've never heard of verticle spacing it doesn't really make sense to me since you need spacing for every spike but either way I can explain it to you since it is a pain to get and much different than in Melee.

Firstit depends on which way you are facing. If you are facing toward your opponent the spike initiates right after you do it, right before Marth's sword passes his legs but this is difficult spacing. If you are facing away from your opponent it's much easier. It spikes when Marth's arm is almost full extended like at a 45 degree angle.

This is WAY easier because you can set things up easily. Once your opponent is off the stage it gets pretty simple to either jump off backwards and spike them since they won't expect the move or grab the ledge and drop off to double jump and spike. Sometimes you can just stay on the stage facing away and spike characters with verticle recovery like snake or DDD in some cases. Just practice it it gets pretty easy and he has a great spike. Also if you look up SSBB Marth combo vid on youtube the good ones will be doing spikes. Hope this helps.

Also with some characters (heavy ones usually) if you stand about a characters length from the ledge and forward throw them off and jump and dair from 0-30% you will spike them like definately almost it's strange. I can't think of who right now but I know Ike and Snake are a couple fo them. Ike definately but don't quote me on Snake.
Thanks, That helped alot :)

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
use with the vs it really potent and once you the the timing it a 100% chance of spiking

LuckY007

Smash Rookie
is the meteor smash the same as this spike? to perform this move do you just footstool, then jump, and then D-Air IMMEDIATELY after you footstool?

To D-Air do you just hit down + A?

also.. does it matter which way your facing? I mean can u do this facing the opponent and facing away?

thanks.

deftdefier

Smash Rookie
is the meteor smash the same as this spike? to perform this move do you just footstool, then jump, and then D-Air IMMEDIATELY after you footstool?

also.. does it matter which way your facing? I mean can u do this facing the opponent and facing away?

thanks.
Jump off stage > toadstool with second jump > C-stick down to spike
You could use down+A but IMO it's easier to just use the C-stick, and yes make sure you do the spike immediately after you toadstool them.
It doesn't matter which way you're facing since you are directly above your opponent you will hit them with the bottom of your spike.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman

thanks.
I answered this already ha. No you don't need to footstool that wouldn't be an ideal to set up a spike. Too annoying. Just jump off and hit them. The way you face changes where you have to hit them.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
Well, Dancing blade has never spiked for me, in brawl.

Vertical Spacing: When Marth Dare to Dair.

Dair is the best now. Vertical Spacing is the gimmicky name of Marth's Dair. Really... you learn to implement your 2nd jump according to your Dair (basically creating a RISING DAIR) this makes SURE YOU DON"T FAST FALL TO DOOM...

This method is for quick pace gameplay and even mindgames.

A set up for the type Dair is to dash off (or jump off once) and DI and FF according to where your opponent is. LEARN your Dair Spacing. When you feel that you will hit. SECOND JUMP and Dair.

If you're using your backside you don't need to be above your opponent, but beside them. Either way, Marth's Dair will spike or hit them away from the stage (on contact) at starting at 120% if Dair doesn't spike it should still kill via knockback.

If you are above the oppoenent and initiate the 2nd jump and Dair--occasionally it will foot stool spike which give exact spacing for a spike.

Dair as an edgeguard:

Much like Bair edge guard, face inward and jump off (or remain above the stage) The back side of Dair is easier to Tip with than any other side. Actually I never Dair except when I know I'm using the back side.

Sometimes, I Fmash a character across the stage. Characters with a linear 2nd up and Up B can be quickly killed if you (I) dashed and RAR a SH DAIR. (though you can just normal Dair them, but again, backside is a lot easier and has a bigger hitbox)

A setup that some people will fall for (not typically competiveplayers) is the pivot grab -> down throw -> Dair.

Another thing is the Usmash. Like most Usmashes it slightly slides (even without boost smash; since marth doesn't have one or one that is useful) Typically, if its a big character, Usmash will Stage spike. There was an old thread about it. It wasn't too useful, but Knowing that Usmash can stage spike is useful. (careful if they roll, attack, or get up, since you'll be left vulnerable.)

Beyond that. Learn to space with Dair, and FF SH DAIR (off stage) to get proper vertical spacing.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I actually spiked somebody with dancing blade today (wierd i know) but it wasnt a complete meteor. It still worked pretty well tho considering my opponent got sent WAY down. Anyway, to spike, just go for the RAR dair. Knock em offstage then have at it. Make sure u do a rising dair though or ur screwed. Just practice.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
^ if your still talking about ledge hopped...

it's incredibly situational... they'll see you hanging off the edge, good spacies will illusion over you... plus a better punishment for them is to dash out of illusion's range and Usmash them.... and you'd really need insane timing to pull that off (though it is possible)

and problem with that is Falco illusion will spike YOU if you didn't spike him... so take heed...

and plus ledge dropped Dair is for people below you//beside you (say Ness's 2nd jump + jump canceled fair; but you're in invinciblity frames! then he goes for PK thunder... and is right beside you... you can ledge drop Dair...

it's even more situational... and you'll need to learn to DI onto the stage during the Rising Dair OR ELSE...dun dun dun...

Top Bottom