• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play Super Smash Brothers 64 Competitively.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so help me god if i put on a metronome next to an isai video and it ****ing synchronizes

i'm going to start vibing hardcore when i play

B Link

Smash Lord
I don't think Isai has gotten that much better in the past few years. His Yoshi maybe but his other characters are pretty much the same.

Battlecow

Play to Win
IDK dude I see improvement. He's always pulling out crazy new stuff that we've never seen before and you have no idea when he developed it

For example that one falcon-puff match taught everyone new ways to combo with falcon

and he started comboing with fox one-hit uairs just out of nowhere

and that crazy shine-out-of-jab-grab technology

and a billion other things

and that's just the obvious surface-level stuff

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
IDK dude I see improvement. He's always pulling out crazy new stuff that we've never seen before and you have no idea when he developed it

For example that one falcon-puff match taught everyone new ways to combo with falcon

and he started comboing with fox one-hit uairs just out of nowhere

and that crazy shine-out-of-jab-grab technology
plz link the Falc v Puff match :3

& what do you mean by shine-out-of-jab-grab?

Battlecow

Play to Win
apparently there's one frame in which fox is at liberty

shine comes out frame 1

Apologies to sangoku for mangling the explanation which he so graciously gave at the time

The Star King

Smash Hero
it's only if Fox crouchcancels the jab IIRC

and the dairs weren't really new at that time IMO but I guess it wasn't that popular either and it informed more people

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
I just want to know what malva had to do to get better, when he was already the best. (inb4 don't get hit)
I assume just playing the game a lot is a big part of it; I'd doubt there'd be more than a handful of people in the world who have played as much Smash64 as he has.
He told me once that he sometimes just puts on some music, goes in training mode and practices movement.
I'm pretty confident at this point that Isai doesn't just do training mode all the time. I think Johnny never actually retired, but just became bitter after losing to Boomfan, and swore off online, competitive play, interacting with community, etc. Johnny must have trained in secret to the point where he is now the best, and all he does is play Isai. Now the two train until Darth Isai is strong enough to kill Johnny and take on a new apprentice. After the last 2 Apex's, it is apparent it may take a while for Isai to be as unstoppable as Johnny now allegedly is.

Sangoku

Smash Master
You're wrong. The truth is Maltfox moved to the US and lives kinda close to Isai's house. Since they don't want people to know what's up he wears a wig and pretends to be his girlfriend. Ant-D is there too, monitoring matches and analysing stuff, providing frame perfect advice and stuff. That's what I heard.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You're wrong. The truth is Maltfox moved to the US and lives kinda close to Isai's house. Since they don't want people to know what's up he wears a wig and pretends to be his girlfriend. Ant-D is there too, monitoring matches and analysing stuff, providing frame perfect advice and stuff. That's what I heard.
obviously

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty confident at this point that Isai doesn't just do training mode all the time. I think Johnny never actually retired, but just became bitter after losing to Boomfan, and swore off online, competitive play, interacting with community, etc. Johnny must have trained in secret to the point where he is now the best, and all he does is play Isai. Now the two train until Darth Isai is strong enough to kill Johnny and take on a new apprentice. After the last 2 Apex's, it is apparent it may take a while for Isai to be as unstoppable as Johnny now allegedly is.

Is Johnny s2j?

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
The good people (obviously) play many characters because they get bored whupping with one and switch off. I can't prove it but it's common sense. There's pretty strong evidence that one-char mains can be really good (Kefit, for example, is much better than any of the "fast improvers" SK cited), and while we definitely should not say that the foreigners we see only play the char they play in tourney (Kikoushi and gerson both have very strong secondaries) they do MAIN one character and spend more time on that character than the others.
This is a pretty solid argument.

There is a guide on SWF, but it's for Melee. It made me won a tournament in doubles over Mariguas though. Here it is: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/drastic-improvement.311129/

Also, two advices:
1. If it isn't broken DON'T FIX IT!
2. If it doesn't works DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Top Bottom