• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play Super Smash Brothers 64 Competitively.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Okay so the main problem people for what can end up being years is that they do not know how to play the game. So here is a guide on how to play smash64. Basically everything technical wise can be found at the SSB64 ATs but here is what you'll need to git pro.​

Hitboxes
Hitboxes are the Character (say DK), His attack area (Dair). But there is also the untouchable hitboxes which you cannot be grabbed, hurt, or make any sound to attacks. Then the superman hitboxes where you just take hits without knockback or damage. Here is an example

Spacing
"Spacing" is literally what it means, Space between your (Move) hitbox versus their (Move and or Body) hitbox. Say your Jigglypuff and your versus Kirby, Kirby trys and Fair, and you used Nair at the right time so you got the hitbox at the first few frames clashing kirby's Fair. Also sometimes it's good to space out Weak spots of a hitbox for say mario's uairs so he turns around and does uairs so the othejr person will land behind you with a lot lower knockback then the regular uair so you can uair chain upsmash on platforms or higher stage ledges.
Directional Influence (Di)
Diing is required to stay alive, You must rapidly tap your analog in the direction you want to di to while being in hitstun of an attack. This will push you out of range for some combos attacks if used effectively enough. To roll around di where you di and roll around something like Di'ing into a edge Di so you do opposite direction knockback. Doing this you need to hit onto the ledge then di onto the actually map from diing at angles, you will get the feel of it.

Movement
Movement is all about how you get from point A to point B and how you avoid attacks on the ground. You first need to Pivot often to anticipate, wait, go around, go around and turn around, and go around then run away. Pivoting is can be shown best with Falcown because he has the biggest dust when he dashes, All you do is dash back and forth and or dash turn around.. direct left to direct right repetitively is called dash dancing​
You can also space your jumps axis rates by slightly holding upward at say 65% range perhaps so you dont fully jump nor shorthop too low So you can land on platforms perfectly to continue onward to point B. Jumping from angles can also be a priority of spacing your landing position. For keyboard users and some other situations, you can also use the C button to control your full C jump. If you use Fox, you can Shine to cancel onto higher areas, if your ness or yoshi you can djc onto these areas.​
When you are being slammed into the ground where you have ground effects you can press Z to land without being slammed around anymore so you can get the **** out of there, You can also just roll onto the sides or stay in one spot then attack but this will allow the other player to follow you up easier, and if you roll against the ledge or wall you will be wasting time rolling while covering no space.
This also go for regular rolling, Regular rolling like shield jumping has it's untouchable frames to get out of a sticky situation but when used to get away as in spacing out your enemy or just trying to get around them or somewhere to do a move is actually using more time then needed when you could just pivot and possibly,
Taunt cancel then turn around if you are on keyboard for example and want to do Kirby Fthrow to double suicide stock. Or if your say Focks and your using Jabs and you know your next jab will not stun them enough and they will grab or hit you so then you just pivot and turn around then jab then do it again and work with something like that.

Priority
When Player A is at 20% and player B is at 90% then if both players used Nair and they normally would clash each other out, in this situation player A's hitbox priority will be over player B and knockback player B. Priority does not overtake Untouchable frames but can lower superman frames so you are hittable in terms of knockback and damage yes.

%
Damage Precent is what determines priority, Knockback range, knockback speed. Playing based on % will allow you to understand how and which combos will work in which situations so you can have more death combos at your command such as Falcon Fthrow to B on 68-84% Falcon dito.

The Star King

Smash Hero
lol, Smasher realized his ban from the 64 boards is gone with the forum move

hi Smasher

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
You forgot about ledge canceling, fast falling, and pivoting off ledges

M!nt

Smash Champion
shhhh your gonna get him banned again

hi smasher

The Star King

Smash Hero
"Hey guys, DMoogle here. It's good to be finally back! O SHI- *bans Smasherx74*"

^I'd die

B Link

Smash Lord
I have a theory on how to improve. It still needs more time to see if it's actually making a difference though (and no it does not resemble "don't get hit" or "play a lot"). I'll release it once I can confirm its success. SOME* players, perhaps unwittingly, already utilize the method I'm testing.

B Link

Smash Lord
It's not much of a secret. People who play me often know. I just want to make a full thread on it but I don't have time atm.

B Link

Smash Lord
Meh, I tried making a guide, but I didn't like how it sounded. I guess I'll just reveal what I've been doing recently here:

Proposal: Play 1 character only (all the time, no switching ever). I've been using Pikachu ONLY for a couple of weeks. My goal is to keep using just Pikachu for maybe 1-2 years. I haven't seen amazing improvement yet, but I think I will in time if I'm disciplined.

It sounds obvious, and maybe easy. But it is actually very hard not to lose focus and choose other characters when you get bored. So even though it's obvious, it's only been done by a handful of players.

Why not use other characters for fun? Well, from my experience: when I play too many characters I am trying to solve way too many problems. I think it would be better for my improvement if I just focused on one character. That way my mind and muscle memory would not get distracted and confused in a sense. That's the best way I can describe it at the moment, lol.

It's a very debatable proposal no doubt. I can't defend it against all of its counter-arguments (e.g. there are good players who can use a variety of characters) but intuitively I am pretty confident that I will see results.

I'll stop if either:
1) I become S Tier level with Pikachu
or 2) it's been 1-2 years and no improvement has happened anyway.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
2 things i tried but can't do

stick to only 1 character

just wait for them, don't try to combo

reason

both are mind-numbingly boring

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
instead of focusing on the mindset that you have to be the best you should mediate yourself and understand that becoming isai tier isn't going to happen overnight and be more realistic to your faults so they're easier to improve on

that or play console

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Instead of focusing on one character at a time, why not focus on one move at a time? Try to beat a lvl 9 yoshi using only fast fall up airs or only platform drop up airs, or only short hop up airs, or do non z canceled slip-off down airs to up airs. This way you can still play with every character, and practice the hardest moves. Once you master those things work on character specific moves.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Instead of focusing on one character at a time, why not focus on one move at a time? Try to beat a lvl 9 yoshi using only fast fall up airs or only platform drop up airs, or only short hop up airs, or do non z canceled slip-off down airs to up airs. This way you can still play with every character, and practice the hardest moves. Once you master those things work on character specific moves.
sounds fun if anything, i might try this

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay. It was a genuine question, I don't know his level.

I know I sometimes try to stick to one character (sometimes Yoshi, sometimes Fox). It only lasts a couple matches then I get bored.

The Star King

Smash Hero
paging Star King...
Yeah, obligatory derision. There's no player evidence that it's a good idea, so dunno why you would invest so much of your time into such an unsure thing.

Short list of people who play(ed) one char 99% of the time off the top of my head: Moises, MATTS!, I LOVE SMASH, DaBomb, Kabal, Lupogg King, Zeus. No offense to anyone, but this isn't a godly list. You don't see these people dominating the scene. And you don't see these players making rapid progress either - they all kind of stagnate like everyone else. Probably the fastest improving players I saw in my 4 years online were Zenyore, th3kuzinator, and myself, and all of us played a lot of characters. Not to mention the very best of this game all pretty much every character in the game...

B Link

Smash Lord
There are a lot of counter arguments to what Star King says. For example, you can't dominate the scene if you specialize in Samus like Kabal has. He is however a very good Samus player and he doesn't progress I think because he plays very rarely.

There's no player evidence? I do not personally monitor players to see who they use all the time. But Kefit, Gerson, Sima, Red Mario, Kikoushi, Sheer madness (in the past) , Nangoku, are known for their best characters and I have a feeling they rarely changed characters when trying to get good at one. I can't say that for sure because no one monitors people's friendlies all the time to see who they use. But I don't see why you're this strongly against using only one character to get good.

DC-NERD

Smash Cadet
I tried sticking with Yoshi but only lasted a week or two.

I've been Mario a lot recently, maybe i should try to stick with him for a while.

The Star King

Smash Hero
There are a lot of counter arguments to what Star King says. For example, you can't dominate the scene if you specialize in Samus like Kabal has. He is however a very good Samus player and he doesn't progress I think because he plays very rarely.

There's no player evidence? I do not personally monitor players to see who they use all the time. But Kefit, Gerson, Sima, Red Mario, Kikoushi, Sheer madness (in the past) , Nangoku, are known for their best characters and I have a feeling they rarely changed characters when trying to get good at one. I can't say that for sure because no one monitors people's friendlies all the time to see who they use. But I don't see why you're this strongly against using only one character to get good.
Uh, 5 of the 7 people you listed are foreign (and Sheer doesn't even play one character). I think there's a reason for that lol. You don't actually know. You don't know how often they play other characters in friendlies. Like, for example, Red Mario's matches on Youtube clearly shows that he actually plays other characters much of the time in friendlies. You evidently simply assumed that he used one character, so I'm gonna take your claims on the others with a grain of salt.

Kefit is the one good example. I don't know about you, but when looking at all the other people who play one character as well for years and are still like B tier, that's not enough for me to conclude that playing one character is that much better for improvement and waste years of my playtime attempting that method.

I'm not "this strongly" against it. I ain't stopping you if you really want to. But I think that thinking it's better for improvement without any basis is a bit ridiculous, and investing 1-2 years of your play time based on these assumptions is even more so.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I didn't start getting better till I started branching out into lots of chars. Now i feel like I get better every single time I play. Just my two cents.

B Link

Smash Lord
First, my examples were used only as a reply to your initial post. Your initial post was way too biased in its player selection. Sheermadness, I'm pretty sure, used only yoshi for a very extended period of time. It was my fault for using the bad example of Red Mario, but at least I'll admit it. I'm sure there are many more though (e.g. clubba's example of kikoushi). We'll never know for sure, unless we take people's testimonies as evidence.

You can completely leave out player evidence as reason to support my proposal, because I never intended for it to act as empirical support anyway. In my proposal post I describe the reasons for why I am doing what I'm doing:

B Link said:
when I play too many characters I am trying to solve way too many problems. I think it would be better for my improvement if I just focused on one character. That way my mind and muscle memory would not get distracted and confused in a sense. That's the best way I can describe it at the moment, lol.
So I'm not doing what I'm doing because of any unsupported assumptions. It clearly has a basis. Although it isn't completely fleshed out yet, I'm sure there are players who would still side with what I'm doing here (and there already is, apparently).

Finally, your position is unclear. You call it "ridiculous" yet you say you are "not strongly" against it. If you call something ridiculous, you are implicitly claiming you are pretty strongly against it. For example, if I call racial segregation ridiculous, I cannot say afterwards "meh, I'm not that strongly against it though." You can't use condescending vocabulary against a position while at the same time stating that you are not in serious disagreement with it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
The good people (obviously) play many characters because they get bored whupping with one and switch off. I can't prove it but it's common sense. There's pretty strong evidence that one-char mains can be really good (Kefit, for example, is much better than any of the "fast improvers" SK cited), and while we definitely should not say that the foreigners we see only play the char they play in tourney (Kikoushi and gerson both have very strong secondaries) they do MAIN one character and spend more time on that character than the others.

Top Bottom