• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play Brawl, and a guide to understanding the metagame: UPDATED 10/18

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
Good job so far with the updates Pierce! I'ma keep up with this read its really well done =) I cant wait to start trying out some of this in my actual gameplay and hope it would help me improve.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
Wow, thanks Pierce. Just read up to date and now I'm understanding baits and approaches better and how to read my opponent better.

Veel

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, just thank you for the guide. Your continuing posts are one of the few reasons I still log on to Smashboard. Good read.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
hahah peirce moving on the metagame for the newbs, man i can even learn stuff from here. good sht brah

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Knew most of the stuff posted so far, though I'm really looking forward to the conditioning write up since I literally have no clue.

D

Deleted member

I agree with the double jump mixup. its one of the reasons i felt at one point like yoshi has trouble mixing up his approach and movement, because he cant do that with his double jump.

Its also the reason characters like falcon can actually not lose =P

Good stuff, many players dont know how fantastic double jump mixups are

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I agree with the double jump mixup. its one of the reasons i felt at one point like yoshi has trouble mixing up his approach and movement, because he cant do that with his double jump.

Its also the reason characters like falcon can actually not lose =P

Good stuff, many players dont know how fantastic double jump mixups are
We sort of can if we DJC with a special or an IT, but it's still not very good. :(

I still think you should mention air grabs' potential since you did talk about how people will shield if you jump towards them.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
This is some good stuff... I'll have to get to reading it all theres alot of stuff

Albert.

Smash Master
wow good s*** Pierce. This reminds me of the super-quality stuff we used to have on the marthboards 2 years ago. Really good guide, reinforces some things I used to know.

Off topic, but I'm curious: what does the 7D stand for?
It stands for 7 d***s to please 7 beautiful women at once.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I know I promised an update yesterday, but I got caught up in watching Anime (not something I do frequently, but it happens.)

I'm working on an update now.

Also, 7 is my favorite number and 'd' is the first letter of my name (Daniel)

It has no real significance.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Geez. Hopefully this stuff will really help me out against my opponents. Thanks for posting these up.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So just to let you all know, I actually did type up an update, and when I was nearly done, there was a brown-out here, and I lost the whole thing, without a chance to save. I normally copy before posting, just in case of a 502, but I couldn't anticipate such a random power outage, and I kinda took some time off to blow off the steam. I'll retype it up soon.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
This kind of thing has actually happened to me many times, so I can relate. Good luck getting it all typed up again though; I'm looking forward to it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So just to let you all know, I actually did type up an update, and when I was nearly done, there was a brown-out here, and I lost the whole thing, without a chance to save. I normally copy before posting, just in case of a 502, but I couldn't anticipate such a random power outage, and I kinda took some time off to blow off the steam. I'll retype it up soon.
I expect this after Apex is finished ^_^

A very nice read indeed. I was expecting you to go a bit more indepth with ledge get ups and what not with the Scar v Mufasa section, but ah well, definatly will read again.

GingaNinja

Smash Rookie
The material you've posted so far Pierce has been uber effective for me. I main Marth and only recently have I been comparing myself to the rest of the world (Thanks to my sparring partner/friend). My friend is a high level gamer who is one of the best players in Counter-strike in North America. To say the least, he showed me what it means to take brawl competitively. Forcing me to take my game to a new level, or rather "ascend" (dragon ball z ref.)
So I'd like to ask you your opinion on an approach for Marth. A retreating dash into backwards roll, possibly ending up behind them or in front of them? I was thinking ground dodge if you end up in front of them. Potentially viable?

Thanks for your input!

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I'm no marth mainer, but back rolling as an approach can become at any point, predictable, or just something they can react to as soon as it comes out.
Either way it can be used against you, and you will get punished if you're going to be easily read.

If you're going to look at good approaches for marth, just go to the character discussion boards for him.
As far as I know short hop fair is pretty popular, but it depends on your opponent. Whether you need to be defensive or offensive. Just work on creating and abusing their openings they create from your defensive play.

Top Bottom