• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to master mario's spike

Big Burn

Smash Lord
The only move i havent really mastered with mario his is spike. Does anyone have any advice on how to get marios spike down to art. Its hard to pull off because it takes so long and when i try it i seem like i kill myself many times

thundah

Smash Apprentice
(whisper) use the character specific boards...

timing, homie... timing

and luck, that helps too...

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Try to predict when your opponent is going to use their second jump and time it for that moment. This also seems to make it less likely that they'll meteor cancel (pssst, btw, it's not a spike, but a meteor) it and make it back to the stage.

Also try to practice SHFFLing it near the edge of the stage (harder than it sounds) to catch sweetspotters.

-Xplicit

b3nz0r

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming you're talking about his Hulk Smash (fair). Just jump into them and when you're nearly there, hit A, so that the windup occurs on the path there and the hit occurs when you want it to.

TWP

Smash Ace
I had trouble with his f-air for awhile too, but you know, I did what werewolf said..PRACTICE.

Go to training, fight a Computer, it doesn't matter what you do, just practice. We can't tell you a formula to do it, because its all timing.

Just keep at it and eventually you'll notice you can do it more and more frequently.

Zero X

Smash Rookie
Mario's spike is quite hard to to pull off, but is much easier than doc's. usually when i use doc's the opent usually goes up or someother direction, that has nothing to do with going straight down. so depending on what u like, it is much easier to hit down with mario, buit doc's is much stronger and can be good as even a mid air hit.

Till than, it's best to just practice, i mean im not even that good at pulling off the spike, and mario and doc are among my top characters.

-Zero X-

Zero X

Smash Rookie
uhhhh.....just want to apologize for the horrible grammer mistakes in the last post, lol:D

SynikaL

Smash Lord
The reason Doc's F.Air isn't working the way you want it to is because it's not supposed to knock them straight down-at all.

It always sends them at an upward angled trajectory. Mario's is the true meteor.

-Kimosabae
(NOT spike!)

Neophos

Smash Ace
Zero X, thats why there is a edit button=P

and on topic, Marios fair is hardly worth it IMO. But if someone wanna use it, fine with me :D

its yeah, timing.

Zero X

Smash Rookie
The reason Doc's F.Air isn't working the way you want it to is because it's not supposed to knock them straight down-at all.
Hey thanks, i never knew that it actually was supposed to launcch the oponent up

and I just today i noticed the edit button, lol , wow i am dumb

Leon

Smash Cadet
I've found it's best used as a surprise attack, it has such huge lag that if people see it coming they can easily do something about it (usually dodge). Use the nair and bair for edgeguaring most of the time, then whip out the spike when they least suspect it :D

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Wow. i never realized it was that hard to pull off. I just always seem to get it right. :shrugs: The only way i miss is if they use the 2nd jump.... I got my practice on the bowser in event match 1. 2 forward throws to F-air.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Mario's Fair is a great offensive when placed properly.

Try catching it at low low percentages on a gound-planted opponent so you can create that "stun" animation.

With that, if LC'ed you can link it to Mario's fastest smash, his downsmash.

Goes like (shuffle Fair) to (Down Smash).

Nothing to do with meteoring out-of-stage but, eh.

Charoo

Smash Champion
meteor with this move is all about guessing. They sent flying and you ahve to run and get ready to sue ur fair right away. You have to guess where they will be cause waiting for them to jump then you jump for fair will usally result in a miss or you get hti instead cause they know where you going and you can't move. So it's all about you guessing what they would do. You jsut gotta be a steap ahead of them ya.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to really 'guess' if you use the move correctly.
If someone jumps before you jump, the worst thing you can do is try to use the f-air. Using it as DireVulcan mentioned is the best usage for it. Rarely ever should you use it to finish off your opponent.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
You should cooperate with the fast fall and then irritate ur oponnent...

i mean short hop fair fast fall its cool...BUT

YOU JUST HAVE TO L CANCEL IT!!!!

Or you have tons of luck in your pocket...youll need it

Top Bottom