• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to grab and shield properly...?

xephyr417

Smash Rookie
Ive been wondering for a while why it is that half the time i press the grab button (x for me) i shield. and when i try to pivot grab i end up rolling... i know it has something to do with timing so im assuming im just getting the timing wrong a lot... for example, the other day i was playing and i pressed x three times trying to grab and just flashed my shield 3 times and ended up getting smashed in the face.

So, i was wondering if anyone could explain to me WHY this happens or at least what im doing wrong and how to fix it? Thanks!

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Ive been wondering for a while why it is that half the time i press the grab button (x for me) i shield. and when i try to pivot grab i end up rolling... i know it has something to do with timing so im assuming im just getting the timing wrong a lot... for example, the other day i was playing and i pressed x three times trying to grab and just flashed my shield 3 times and ended up getting smashed in the face.

So, i was wondering if anyone could explain to me WHY this happens or at least what im doing wrong and how to fix it? Thanks!
If your using a GC controller, you need to press the Z button.

Willntdie

Smash Cadet
Probably just a problem due to input lag from your controller or it might be caused by Brawl's frame buffer. Why not try using L/R + A?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What Willntdie said. Either you're not used to the buffer (I believe it's like 10 frames or something. Correct me, if I'm wrong), or it could be input lag if you're using an HDTV. Heck, it might just be the fact that you have your jump set to X, though that seems rather unlikely.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ the OP
Are you absolutely sure you have your grab inputted button at any button (you said X) and you are pressing said button=???

Also as previously mentioned, any HDTV of any kind will create all sorts of controller input lag. It's somewhere around 1/6th a second, which is actually pretty noticeable.

Elite Cowdung

Smash Rookie
this happens to me all the time dont tell me it hasnt happened to you. hes not ******** or anything he said that when he presses the button he sheilds. really open you damn eyes it not hard. just because he has nine posts doesnt mean he's an idiot

xephyr417

Smash Rookie
Elite Cowdung, thank you. i was about to get pretty frustrated with these guys...

alright, YES i am sure by x button is set to grab. NO, that shouldnt make a difference because it did the same thing back when it was Z.

I have trouble pivoting the grab when i use L/R + A. i usually roll... the thing is the grab button SHOULD work just fine... but i shield instead of grab. It only happens sometimes. Im pretty sure its cuz the grab button inputs (Shield + A) instead of a unique grab command. So when certain stuff happens the "+A" part doesnt get inputted properly and thus you shield.

All im wondering is is how to avoid that happening. Its annoying and makes me mess up a lot. I mean reading the roll and timing your pivot grab perfectly is sooooo not satisfying when you roll yourself instead of grabbing.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Erm, well that's odd to say the least. Try setting grab to another button to see if it's the controller that's broken. I've had situations where I'd crouch instead of Dsmash because my A button failed.

Grab gets inputted by the system as Shield+Attack, which is why some of the buffers are funny. There are a few scenarios where what you listed in the OP occurs, but I doubt that it's what's affecting your controls:
-If you're about to land and hit grab before landing, you buffer shield.
-Holding down grab after the grab comes out makes you shield.
-Tapping grab during shield drop animation buffers shield (this might be why your shield kept popping up when you spammed the grab button).
-Holding down the grab button during the ending frames of an action buffers shield.
-If you try to pivot grab but input the grab+reverse direction before your dash startup animation is over (as in before you start actually running), you'll roll. I think this happens if you do it during dash cooldown animation too (when you skid from stopping from a dash), but I've never had a problem with it lol so I'm not sure.

Yeah, so good luck with whatever. Also, protip: get out of General Brawl Discussion ASAP because 90% of the people here are scrubs and the other 10% are good players that troll the scrubs.

xephyr417

Smash Rookie
Erm, well that's odd to say the least. Try setting grab to another button to see if it's the controller that's broken. I've had situations where I'd crouch instead of Dsmash because my A button failed.

Grab gets inputted by the system as Shield+Attack, which is why some of the buffers are funny. There are a few scenarios where what you listed in the OP occurs, but I doubt that it's what's affecting your controls:
-If you're about to land and hit grab before landing, you buffer shield.
-Holding down grab after the grab comes out makes you shield.
-Tapping grab during shield drop animation buffers shield (this might be why your shield kept popping up when you spammed the grab button).
-Holding down the grab button during the ending frames of an action buffers shield.
-If you try to pivot grab but input the grab+reverse direction before your dash startup animation is over (as in before you start actually running), you'll roll. I think this happens if you do it during dash cooldown animation too (when you skid from stopping from a dash), but I've never had a problem with it lol so I'm not sure.

Yeah, so good luck with whatever. Also, protip: get out of General Brawl Discussion ASAP because 90% of the people here are scrubs and the other 10% are good players that troll the scrubs.
this was EXACTLY what i needed to hear. thankkkk youuuu. :D

if not here, then where?

Top Bottom