• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to do the gentleman in NTSC

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
In PAL which is what I usually play for obvious reasons you just press A three times and it's done. But when I play in NTSC (got a friend with an american gc+smash, also ill start playing it more when i upgrade my pc so i can emulate it at full speed) doing the gentleman is an AT in itself. How do you do it?
And I want to do it properly so I can follow it up with a dash, not cancel it with a shield. (ive seen darkrain do it)

joeplicate

Smash Master
if you hit a shield/body, you can do it this way

press A three times (you need to do it in a specific timing--it's close to full speed or just at full speed usually), then you need to interrupt the knee with some action and HOLD the button you interrupted it with until he completely puts his knee back. (this is why people shield a lot afterwards, because it's easy to see/people just got in the habit/idk)

the easiest way to do it, I find, is just get the timing down and HOLD A for a long, long time, until he puts his knee back down. you seriously need to hold it for a while. then you can input the dash right afterwards.

you might also want to look into A, A, A, then tilting the stick in one direction and holding it till he puts his knee back. that way is pretty easy too. but for dashing, just holding A is your best bet IMO.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
So wait, there's no way to do it without hitting someone?
Thanks though, the holding A trick works flawlessly. You need to delay the last button input a little bit for it to work though.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
joe's wording confused me, maybe he meant this but the trick is to hold A until you interrupt with something else, and then you can let go of A

you can also just hit A A Z with a certain timing, darkrain hits A Z A+Z, but i dont know the mechanics of how those work and theyre very inconsistent for me

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
AA (quickly) wait a VERY short amount of time hold A

If you don't hold A the punches will come out but you can cancel it by shielding, dashing, or jumping.

joeplicate

Smash Master
yeah the AAA method is legit. you can let go as soon as he puts his knee down (experiment with the timing i guess).

i asked SS how he did he gentlemans, and he said that was how he does it mostly. shielding afterwards has different applications.

if you wanna do a gentleman without hitting anybody, you need to time the presses really well, and you can only do it at a certain speed (as least that I know of). my advice would be to just stop after the first 2 jabs! lol

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I've only ever done the gentlement without hitting someone of the gaps between each hit are like the maximum you can go before it just starts with the first jab again. If i do it that way i just tap AAA.

When i'm hitting someone i do it two ways. one is hit AAAR and hold A and R. This way works even if i hit with only one jab, but it means my shield comes up afterwards, so not good for combos. If i want to follow it up, i hit AARA and don't have to hold anything, but that doesn't work if i don't hit with all three hits.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
if you dont wanna cancel it with a shield you can do the gentleman input holding the las A and down on the control stick.you can do this without hitting someone but like joe said you gotta time it well

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I do A A A+Z and time it so each input is after the previous attack is fully retracted, works for me (if I hit them)

The Official

Smash Rookie
The easiest way to do it and be able to dash after is press A A then hold the last A, keep holding it, do a dash out or dash dance, then release A. As long as your taps are clean, meaning not mashed, then it will come out every time.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
magus, do you have any idea why a a z or something similar also works even without holding the third one?

Magus420

Smash Master
You rapid jab when the total time holding A/attack compared the total time is above a certain amount/ratio. You can stay under that without holding the 3rd one but the total time needs to be higher. Holding the 3rd one then IASAing out of it just makes it so the 3rd input is never counted towards your total A input time, so the total time can be less and still get the gentleman.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i understand that, but then does z not count towards the total a button time? it works to just hit A A Z and not hold z, and i know darkrain does A Z A+Z, so something else must be at play because otherwise i could just hit A Z Z and it would be cake every time, and im pretty sure that A A A without holding it never works

Magus420

Smash Master
A: Attack
Z: Attack+Shield

I'm pretty certain they function exactly the same provided you are pressing them in the same way. I can get AAA without holding just as easily as AZZ, AZA, ZZZ, etc as long as the exact same timing/hold duration is used. I think there's something more to buffering the next jab during hitlag that affects the way the input is treated that I didn't look into. Probably something like if you press and/or release attack during hitlag it doesn't count, any time held during hitlag is treated as only 1 frame, or it doesn't start counting until after hitlag.

BrandonOwnageking

Smash Journeyman
im random when it comes to it. 80% of the time i use A A Z(holding down) the rest of the time i use A A A (holding down). Im not very consistent for obviously.

Top Bottom