• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to do the Freeze Glitch

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Okay, this is being requested lot lately--not sure why--so let's see if we can sticky this too and keep new threads from being made and older threads from being cluttered.

The freeze glitch is performed by having Nana grab the opponent, then using forward+b with Popo at the right moment.

One common question many people have is wanting to know how to get Nana to grab an opponent. There are a couple of ways to do this.

One way is simply to de-sync Nana using a dodge, grab, or taunt. There is a guide to de-syncing that has also been sticked.

A more combat-oriented method is to grab the opponent with Popo, then down-throw and have Nana grab them right as they bounce off the ground. It takes practice and some timing, but this is actually doable in normal combat. She will then throw, and you can try to glitch.

So when do you time the forward+b? The freeze glitch is normally done using an up-throw or f-throw, and hitting B right as you see a blue spark appear around Nana.

That's really all there is to it. Apparently it can be done from a back-throw or down-throw as well, although I have never done it myself.

Something important to remember about Nana's throw: it is, in most situations, completely random. However, if you are near the edge of a platform or the level, Nana will always try to throw the opponent off the edge. This means if you're facing the edge and you're close enough to it, Nana will always forward-throw. This helps tremendously in setting up the glitch.

A fun fact, courtesy of nealdt:

nealdt said:
Note that you don't have to hit the opponent with your Forward+B, nor do you have to be anywhere NEAR the opponent for this to work. You can be all the way across Final D and freeze them so long as you time the Squall right.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and I (or somebody else) will answer to the best of my (or his/her) ability.

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
So far all practical reasons is there any situation when you would do the freeze glitch instead of wobbling if the freeze glitch were legal? It sounds like it needs the same components, a close, not busy nana and a popo with a grab (this is saying you do not somehow actually get the grab with nana, which obviously makes the freeze glitch a more viable option.)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Truthfully? I wouldn't. If both were legal, the infinite would be the easier option. It's also safer and, assuming the tournament has restrictions on the glitch, just plain better in about every regard.

But people ask, and it's fun to do when you're bored.

Binx

Smash Master
if you got a 0% grab at an edge with Nana near you could freeze instead of wobble, but why not just get a high damage edge infinite instead, its infitely cooler (lol @ punsies) and people won't complain as much when you do it, although it is harder.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Note that you don't have to hit the opponent with your Forward+B, nor do you have to be anywhere NEAR the opponent for this to work. You can be all the way across Final D and freeze them so long as you time the Squall right.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
Do you control the way nana throws it? It seems like shes throwing it at random for me.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
From the first post in the thread said:
Something important to remember about Nana's throw: it is, in most situations, completely random. However, if you are near the edge of a platform or the level, Nana will always try to throw the opponent off the edge. This means if you're facing the edge and you're close enough to it, Nana will always forward-throw. This helps tremendously in setting up the glitch.
Gotcha covered...

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Repeat the previous instructions, but before you do them, eat every mushroom you can find.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The timing of the forward-B is actually really easy, especially on the forward-throw. If nana forward-throws, just do forward-B right when her hammer hits. It'll work every time. For up-throw try to time the forward-B just before the opponent gets sent upwards. For down-throw you have to forward-B really early but it's too random to time properly.

According to Cort it's possible to activate the freeze glitch when Nana gets up-B'd by Ganon or Falcon, but I've never seen it performed and haven't tried it myself.

Öni

Smash Cadet
NTSC/Pal

I use the Pal version and I tried it very often but it doesn't work.Is it possible with the Pal version or can u just do it with the NTSC?

Top Bottom