• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with camper/staller

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Buzzsaw Im not sure why youre equating casuals with Brawl or Smash 4, it started with the melee community and those people were around well before Brawl. Ive been lurking since 2005 and I was one of those people who thought c-stick was cheap and remember the polls where a good 1/3rd of people thought so too as well as many other casual vs competitive threads, many more than what exist now. I didnt start changing my mind till I saw a video of Anther and that convinced me to join smashboards.
I'm not equating them. I said that the release of Brawl is what brought the influx of new noncompetitive players to the forum. Again, rather than enjoy being noncompetitive, they stormed the forum and began lecturing tournament players how they play the games wrong. My favorite arguments revolved around us having to respect and honor the game creator's wishes. "Items were put in the game. That means they were meant to be used!"

Apronoob

Smash Rookie
That's For Glory mode for you. Playing exclusively on flat stages invalidates a lot of characters who don't have projectiles, especially if you're playing against a campy opponent. I'm a DK main, a character with great punishes but weak approach options, and FD is the worst possible stage for him.
This

Darklightjg1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darklightjg
Up your patience game or leave if it's stressing you out too much. Using the most effective way to approach and win isn't always gonna be fun.

Xperious

Smash Rookie
Some characters are just better suited to combating campers, but there's always a way through your opponent's strategy.

Characters like Zelda and Mario that has a way to reflect projectiles back can put a huge damper on campers if played correctly. Faster characters without ranged attacks such as Falcon and Little Mac are forced to approach but can generally get in the campers face and punish them.

It all really depends on the matchup and your opponent. Characters just are better at fighting some and worse at others. As Link, I usually have a fairly easy time with Marth and Lucina but one who knows how to perfectly time their counter can be a problem. The matchup may not be in your favor, but you need to watch you opponent; once you get a feel for the camper's playstyle, you'll notice patterns you can exploit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom