• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to convince some friends that edgehogging is a perfectly valid tech?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Some friends are rather adamant that edgehogging is unfair and *cheap*, regardless of how I tell them it's a valid tech. Any suggestions on how to convince them?

Strangely, they don't mind edgegaurding, just edgehogging.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but its about a tech so I figured this would be the best place to post it.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
I know where they're coming from - I used to call "CHEAP!!!" on techniques before I manned up, but I can't think of a single person who NEVER did this. The main problem I had (and they probably have) is that the technique is effective, easily repeatable, and *seemingly* something they can do nothing about. In other words, edge-hogging appears to be an over-powered move to them.

Obviously, we know that edgehogging is not the be-all, end-all KO sealer. Because we know how to deal with it, we don't complain about it. Tell them that, like all other techniques, there's a way to counter edgehogging. Knowing there's a counter should encourage them to learn it and apply it. If your friends are the curious type, this will cut down on complaints drastically. They'll know that (1) they can counter edge-hogging if you do it, and (2) you'll stop edge-hogging as much if it stops being effective. Doubly good incentive to learn how to counter it, I say.

However, if they DON'T stop complaining, or just complain because they can't figure it out as fast as they'd like, explain how to counter edge-guarding. You don't have to spoon-feed them EVERYTHING, as they can learn some of it on their own, which will be good for them in the long run. But you should at least tell them to find alternate recovery techniques that don't depend on grabbing the ledge or to use aggressive recovery techniques.

Hope this helps. Peace out.

Gr8

Smash Rookie
i rarely edgehog however i feel its perfectly fine to use, it may or may not bet a cheap win but if you get knocked off once you probably have high damage and will get killed when you land since you are waiting for them to get back anyway, besides play to win however you can tell them if they don't like it don't get knocked off

Taleran

Smash Rookie
Why be a coward when your playing with your friends of course they won't like it

fight like a man as in stop doing it and BRAWL

peachori

Smash Journeyman
ask them whats wrong with edgehogging
when they say its cheap, punch them in the face
repeat punch for each subsequent mention of it being cheap
problem solved

also there was a "edge hog" bonus in melee. havent paid attention if its in brawl too though.

Ubezor

Smash Rookie
SIMPLE: Every match that you ever have with them, try to make EVERY kill caused by a edgehog.
Soon they will get pissed off are start doing it too.
Then they will open their hearts to the goodness of EDGEHOOGGIIINNGGG

PS it helps if your better than them

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
lol, yes, Tell them to Man up.

=]

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
They told you how to do it in Melee.... there is a bonus award for doing it.... they purposely gave you the ability to edgehog...

That's like saying, "Using that attack on the edge is so cheap!!!"... that's all edgehogging is really is an attack that kills them...

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Olimar.

That character alone is enough to make it a prevalent technique in this game.

I can edgehog an Olimar for all of his lives and there's essentially nothing he can do about it unless his front runner is a purple pikmin. Then he can hurl it at me. Aside from that, he's at the mercy of an edgehogger. o_O

It's cheap huh?

Tell them that Ice Climbers are cheap. Using two characters at once is unfair.
Tell them Olimar is unfair. He has six helpers! And most of his attacks have tons of range and power! That's just unfair.

Or better yet. Tell them to use on of the MANY floaty characters.
Pit, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, DDD, Charizard.
Or characters that can get back without needing the ledge usually like Zelda, Toon Link, Peach, Game & Watch, Pikachu, Lucario, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Snake...

Come on!
Edge hogging is perfectly viable.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Tell them this. The best counter to edgehogging is prevention. In other words, avoid getting in a position where you would have to recover in the first place. :chuckle:

Why be a coward when your playing with your friends of course they won't like it

fight like a man as in stop doing it and BRAWL
What?

sxiz

Smash Cadet
in a game where the whole point is to knock your opponent off the edge letting them back on is pretty stupid

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, letting someone get back on is a scrub way of dealing with not being able to edgeguard. Edgehogging in Brawl is even easier to get around than melee.

In both cases, though, edgehogging was mostly for edge/stage mixups, NOT just killing them as they aim for the edge. If you're so far off that you can't land on the stage, you're as good as dead anyways.

And, if it's in the game, it's a valid technique.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
My friends reacted this way when i first started wavedashing backwards off the edge with Luigi for easy edgehogs in Melee. But it was new to me, too, and they quickly found I was far from perfect at it, and they could get around it if they knew what they were doing. Nowadays, they still don't really edgehog much, but they don't complain at all, and they handle my edgehogging pretty well.

Just keep it up. They'll learn it's not an automatic loss for them in most cases, and they'll learn to play better as a result.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
I think it's fair. It's also not really the easiest thing in the world to do, since your invincibility only lasts a second or so, and if they have a long up b, you could get screwed instead of them.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
It wins. It's in the game. It's valid.

It's counterable. Tell them to learn how, or you can just tell them how depending on how flaky they are. XP

Ørion

Smash Ace
In my opinion, no character or technique in this game is cheap. The only thing that can be cheap are stages and items (including smash balls, as some characters have final smashes that are clearly better than others).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you know what i do, when ever they say that something is cheap, i stop doing it and then do something thats even worse, or to them even cheaper. than edgehogging wont seem as bad by comparison. so next time, instead of just holding the edge, jump off for a freee back air, or even better let them fal past you and than fall off and spike them and then SD.
Mindgames, i never leave home without them

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
If your friends are unwilling to use the techniques that lead to victory, then you are playing with scrubs. Go find better players who are playing to win, instead of only playing for fun.

Lucan Desmond

Smash Rookie
If your friends are unwilling to use the techniques that lead to victory, then you are playing with scrubs. Go find better players who are playing to win, instead of playing for fun.
I agree... almost. ALWAYS play for fun, AND play to win. Don't take the game so seriously that you lose friends over it! In the end, it is just a game. A game you want to win, but don't play so hard that your friends think you're an ***hole and stop talking to you. It's true that most people who complain about a tactic like this a "scrubs" that are simply not as good as you, but that doesn't mean you should insult them or ditch them. Try to teach them to counter the tactic and then you can all become better players together. Before you know it, they'll be edgehogging against you and you'll have nobody to blame but yourself! Then you'll have to get better too!

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
I agree... almost. ALWAYS play for fun, AND play to win. Don't take the game so seriously that you lose friends over it! In the end, it is just a game. A game you want to win, but don't play so hard that your friends think you're an ***hole and stop talking to you. It's true that most people who complain about a tactic like this a "scrubs" that are simply not as good as you, but that doesn't mean you should insult them or ditch them. Try to teach them to counter the tactic and then you can all become better players together. Before you know it, they'll be edgehogging against you and you'll have nobody to blame but yourself! Then you'll have to get better too!
I edited my post :)

His point is that he's TRIED to teach his friends how to edgehog, but because they have labeled the move as "cheap" they refuse to use it. And yet they still continue to complain about him using it.

His options are thus:
A) Stop using it against this group of friends.
B) Find a better crew of brawl players who play to win.
C) Both A) and B)

-notic

Smash Cadet
if they can't comprehend edgehogging then get some new friends that do

Smash Apprentice
I feel your pain. My friends used to complain that I used Marth. They would blame every single loss on the fact that I used Marth. Before I came along, they wouldn't even let anyone else use Marth, simply because his sword was 'cheap'. So I killed them. And now they know how to counter Marth, and don't even complain.

So, I suggest killing them over and over and over edgehogging. Or, if your friends are the type to punch you in the face after multiple successive edgehogs, pretend that you are a really bad edgehogger (ie, die multiple times trying to edgehog. Press down, or something.) Then, gradually get better, but slowly enoguh that they don't realize it.

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
Edgehoging isn't even something easy to do.
If your friends are complaining about a skill that was meant to be in a game, just play with other people whom don't take the game seriously but still have fun playing it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Tell them how emasculated their being. All guys hate knowing they're emasculated.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Haha yeah...

Eh, if it gets them angry, keep doing it. That's what I do, they started trying to do it to me (although I just knock them off or go above them) so they get so frustrated that they'll just start doing it more often.

Fun to see complainers doing the one thing their "code of honor" tells them NOT to do lol

(100th post ^_^)

Dante X

Smash Apprentice
I've got a friend who bags on people for edge guarding and edge hogging, so I know how you feel. Just tell them it's part of the game and to move on with their lives.

yoonie

Smash Cadet
i convince my friend's it a valid technique by using it to win. a lot.

Top Bottom