• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to convince some friends that edgehogging is a perfectly valid tech?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Wow, never expected to get so many replies. I might be able to convince them this thursday when I see em by showing them all these responces:)

selendrile

Smash Apprentice
There is no such thing as cheap tactics in a competitive game. Keeping yourself from using certain techniques just because someone complains will make you worse off when you are playing against real competition.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm okay with it...especially since CPUs will do it too. Gah.
Like it's been said, they should deal with it. Take action!

PS how do you counter edgehogging? (Yes, I'm still very new to any tech.) Varies from chara to chara?

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I've been having the same problem with most of my friends (all of them accually except for one). I don't think edgehogging is cheap or broken or whatever, since it DID reward you for it in melee, but I don't do it against my friends online anymore because they don't have fun when I do it.

And no offense, but if you follow any of the advice in this thread, I don't think you'll have friends anymore lol

PS I do admit I feel kind of bad for Olimar's disadvantage and I feel bad edgehogging Olimars, but I still do it :p

TheHoustonKid

Smash Rookie
I hate when people complain about any move being inherently cheap. The last game i played alot before Brawl (other than Guitar Hero) was Gear of War and it was so annoying when people would whine and complain any time you used the chainsaw even after it was significantly weakened. If a move is so easy to use to beat somebody then why not do it yourself? Or if you are not willing to do it yourself then stop complaining and taking the fun out of the game and learn to counter it. For example in the case of Chainsawing in GoW dodge-rolling backwards, switch to shotty, and headshot. If you have a problem with edgehogin then stay away from the edge and projectile the guy to 150%+ and then smash him.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this used to happen to my friend and me. I'd edgehog him and then he'd throw a tantrum and call me a cheater. All you have to do is "accidentally" fall off the edge, and let them edgehog you. They'll be all high and mighty, do a little dance, and when they see how fun and useful it is, they likely won't complain anymore when they get edgehogged. It's also a more challenging game for you, because now your recoveries aren't guaranteed, so in the end, you both benefit.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
You say that your friends don't mind edgeguarding. So that means they don't mind edghogging according to what they say, because edgehogging is a type of edgeguarding without the hitting part.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Just to add to any 'rock the vote', just keep edgehogging. You can dangle a tidbit of pure pleasure in front of their eyes and demonstrate just how utterly satisfying the pleasure is as they adamantly act like some christian who believes that you're the devil tempting them with sin.

Technically, that sounds bad, but I'm a hedonist. If there is a God, he ain't doing nothing. So get out there and have fun.

(I'm a philanthropist.)

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Stop edgehogging around them. It is kind of a lame way to kill someone.

That, or just tell them how to beat it. If they're really your friends and not people you beat at games to feel better about yourself, you'll want them to get better so you have more exciting fights.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
As long, they aren't allowed to do anything to remove a stock off you, then they can ban edge hogging.

Thino

Smash Master
I kept doing that to a friend , at first he was like "stop doing that , it suck" "get off , thats lame " "stop that". after 3 weeks of constantly losing stocks by edgehogging he told me
"ok. teach me how to do that"

so i guess all you need is time

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
This is STILL going on? Seriously?

Really, don't follow the advice here; it's all bad. Edgehogging someone who doesn't like it only makes the problem worse. Resentment grows and eventually they stop playing altogether, which means they lost a game and you lost an opponent.

The answer is teaching. Sit your friends down and TEACH them how to counter an edgehog. Don't wait for them to figure it out (they won't), don't think you're spoonfeeding them the answer (you aren't)... just be a good friend.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Before I started posting on this forum, I had never heard of edgehogging. And I never planned on doing it, either.
But then I tried it a few days ago on Brawl and I was like "wow, that is awesome!"

So actually, I'd like to thank you all for being such nerds and finding out all these tricky little tactics.

And as for it being cheap, just shut up and get over it. It's just a stupid video game.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
tell them that computers edgehog all the time...which is true...put them in the higher levels and when they knock you off, especially if your a character with a tether, theyll edgehog you if your coming back to the stage from the middle plane or from below the stage...

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
You say that your friends don't mind edgeguarding. So that means they don't mind edghogging according to what they say, because edgehogging is a type of edgeguarding without the hitting part.
Your right, should have worded it better. What I meant was that they are fine with all forms of edgeguarding except for edgehogging.

Still trying to convince them atm, anyone have a good way with words want to suggest a way to talk to em about it? So far all I get for a reply from them is its cheap, unfair etc..

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Edgehogging is so much less effective in Brawl, I don't really see what they're whining about.

Bingo,and if you even attempt it vs certain types of recoveries like say for instance Mario,Ike,Marth,your asking to get KO'ed.Edging in this game is still in existance but now due to the character specifics each character has,it does these 3 things.

Earn you kills(Sorry Olimar..)
Only in certain situtations(an early C.Falcon up+b attempt for example)
Gets you killed(Try it vs a good Mario,Marth) :laugh:

Zasku

Smash Rookie
Some friends are rather adamant that edgehogging is unfair and *cheap*, regardless of how I tell them it's a valid tech. Any suggestions on how to convince them?

Strangely, they don't mind edgegaurding, just edgehogging.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but its about a tech so I figured this would be the best place to post it.
I spoke with them, and they said that we will vote on it before the tournament. You know who I am...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I guess I'll be "that" guy...

Personally, I consider edge-guarding to be cheap. It's not fun, it's skill-less, and unfortunately has gained the notorious well-if-everybody-else-is-doing-it characteristic.

I'm not going to stop playing with someone if they do perform this so-called "technique" though. I will counter and avoid and attack, but I will not edge-guard in return. I would prefer to win on the bases of: " I have more talent than you in this game and have therefor taken your stocks through constant pummeling." Instead of just: "I'm holding the edge so you can't return to the stage."

But then, I'm fully aware I will one day have to turn to "the dark side". That will be sad, as at that time I will have joined a group too obsessed on winning to have respect for each other's talents. I will try to prolong this for as long as I can sensibly can, but in the meantime I will have fun being fair and respectful.

Top Bottom