• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not even trying to talk **** to you at this point, man. Nobody who just up and decides to get into a game will suddenly be good at it from the get go. Nobody who's not good at the game will beat a pro. Therefore the plan is to realize that you suck, and play until you stop sucking, then beat a pro 'cause then you become pro.

After that you start a thread in your character boards that goes something like "ask me questions about this character" and have people hype you up while asking how you're so good, like better than Mew2King. Except that you're only almost as good as Mew2King, because nobody can actually be as good as Mew2King.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol

and so i've seen the birth of a couple of the worst posters on the boards

007 jake, and crush

they rank up there with merkuri

they needa take some notes

from our hero insane carzy guy

the king of making bad posts good.

poundslap is a close second, if he was indeed trolling and not serious.

crush

Smash Master
lol

007 jake, and crush

dont compare me to 007 jake

i dont play link

and i provide valuable insight

in every thread i post in

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
lol

007 jake, and crush

darn man...I was really hoping to be an awesome smashboard poster...sigh

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hell keep playing Link if you want. But make absolutely sure that you ALSO play a high level character or two. Because they have more options at higher levels, they will help give you insight into those higher levels, and help you develop your "real" main farther. I highly doubt it's a coincidence that Axe has a ridiculous Falco and Taj's Marth was 2nd or 3rd best in the country at the time of Ken's dominance (hell he even took first over Ken at one of his biweeklies while he was still "king") while they were developing their Pikachu and Mewtwo. VMan's Yoshi is ridiculous but guess what? He also spent countless hours playing Falco dittos with Axe before that was ever a possibility.

People saying "lol don't play a ****ty character" are talking out their *** because you should play whoever the hell you want. But part of playing this game is understanding the limitations of your character and the best way to do that is to play multiple, particularly the ones with a developed metagame that will help you get insight into higher level play across the board.

And if you want to beat pros, be better than they are. Better spacing, decisionmaking, efficiency, calls, fewer errors; elevate your game relentlessly. Accept responsibility for every mistake and use it as impetus to get better.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Hell keep playing Link if you want. But make absolutely sure that you ALSO play a high level character or two. Because they have more options at higher levels, they will help give you insight into those higher levels, and help you develop your "real" main farther. I highly doubt it's a coincidence that Axe has a ridiculous Falco and Taj's Marth was 2nd or 3rd best in the country at the time of Ken's dominance (hell he even took first over Ken at one of his biweeklies while he was still "king") while they were developing their Pikachu and Mewtwo. VMan's Yoshi is ridiculous but guess what? He also spent countless hours playing Falco dittos with Axe before that was ever a possibility.

People saying "lol don't play a ****ty character" are talking out their *** because you should play whoever the hell you want. But part of playing this game is understanding the limitations of your character and the best way to do that is to play multiple, particularly the ones with a developed metagame that will help you get insight into higher level play across the board.

And if you want to beat pros, be better than they are. Better spacing, decisionmaking, efficiency, calls, fewer errors; elevate your game relentlessly. Accept responsibility for every mistake and use it as impetus to get better.
Appreciate it. I play link and marth. Of course I know link has a very hard time against other characters. He's slow and his wavedash is close to one of the worst, although I still find it useful. All this means is, to dominate with link, I will have to play extremely hard and almost a near-perfect game. I like marth because of his awesome wavedashing/dashdancing skills lol. I will use both and continue to improve my game, but link will always be my main.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

Ya alright that's really good advice. But at the same time, it really depends on your goals too.. I mean for me I chose to stay Ganon the whole way since 2006 because I wanted to accomplish something no one was able to do with him. So having a strong goal definitely also helps for growth much faster I'd say.

Vts

Smash Champion
Ya alright that's really good advice. But at the same time, it really depends on your goals too.. I mean for me I chose to stay Ganon the whole way since 2006 because I wanted to accomplish something no one was able to do with him. So having a strong goal definitely also helps for growth much faster I'd say.
my goal isn't to suck

i've been playing IC since late 07 so really 08 and i feel like if i switch now i'm losing 3 years of playing this game.

Still if learning another character will improve my ICs maybe it's something i should do

like wobbles maining doc long ago , now he's an IC main not sure where i'm going with this but demand to see life's manager!

Do you know who i am! i'm the guy who's going to burn your house down! with the lemons

Divinokage

Smash Legend
my goal isn't to suck

i've been playing IC since late 07 so really 08 and i feel like if i switch now i'm losing 3 years of playing this game.

Still if learning another character will improve my ICs maybe it's something i should do

like wobbles maining doc long ago , now he's an IC main not sure where i'm going with this but demand to see life's manager!

Do you know who i am! i'm the guy who's going to burn your house down! with the lemons
Ya well I don't think you should be so adamant about one character.. You need to adapt to everything. You have to see all the options available to you, so switching character might be good. You get to see a different perspective and you can develop a better style in the end. It's kinda the same thing with SSF4, when I played it seriously.. my game plan in smash is now completely different. A different character should also do this.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
You don't want goals

because this isn't soccer

(football for Europeans)

you want stocks

dammit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My goal is to win every match with the Comet Mystic bonus.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
My goal is to win every match with the bonus that comes up when you kill in every direction.

I forget the name. But that means it's Falco upsmash time. :0

:phone:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Jack, Liz, what do you two think about me closing this train wreck?

Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom