• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat fox with DK

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
IDK how janky this is from 1 - 10, but I've had good success with using forward-b to edgeguard fox&falco's illusions, and spinning kong pokes on their up-b to decent results.

Forward b is usually bad, but on the illusion moves, they can only land in one of two places, one if they are far from the ledge, and well-timed forward-b is gg

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Pick FD or Stadium. Play like RockCrock vs Colbol or Green Ranger vs Toph.

Last edited:

Lord Ike

Smash Rookie
It is almost impossible. Fox can out maneuver DK completely and it isn't even right.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
To edgeguard illussion you should F-tilt or D-tilt. If l'm too late, l up B towards the edge and edgehog.

Well spaced bairs hit firefox everytime. But if l'm not well positioned l use side B when he recovers from below.

You guys are playing too much PM, his nair is pretty bad. I've only used it in a ledgehop regrab to punish a whiff.

MrMo

Smash Rookie
As far as edgeguarding Fox:

1. Butt bump (under 100% ledge recovery) Fox's illusion and firefox to knock them back off the stage. This gives you time to follow-up with a b-air and/or up-b from the edge of the stage

2. Up-b Fox's firefox if they're below the ledge or far enough from the stage that you can easily predict the up-b angle.

3. F-tilt or d-tilt Fox's illusion/firefox

4. D-throw from the edge and follow-up with a b-air and/or up-b. I learned this one from DFU :idea:

Some of the things I've learned against Fox players is that they will bait your grabs (and punish missed ones), shine you off stage and c-cancel your b-airs & tilts.

That said, spacing and working your neutral game will (ideally) make Fox players less inclined to just nairplane in whenever they fill like it. For example: f-tilt their nair; ground slap obnoxious dash-dancers (once or twice, followed by a headbutt or dk-punch and they'll get the idea, heh); b-air/n-air --> grab combos; n-air --> d-tilt to create space.

Also, abuse platforms for your combos, especially shorter platforms like on Battlefield and Yoshi's as DK's headbutt hitbox covers most (if not all) of the surface. If you're close to the edge during or at the start of a up-cargo combo, players will DI off the edge so pick a follow-up that's safe (up-b, fading f-air, b-air...). One of the things I see Green Ranger do is take Fox (and Falco) to a top platform before starting an up-throw combo because it makes DI much less effective.

Good luck.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
When I watch Green Ranger he's also doing the up-air strings banana slamming Foxes for pretty much every bit of damage and to get the KO.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Up-B. A lot.

Once Fox is off the stage DK has a ton of options. Wait for the recovery and act accordingly. Even a traded bair into a firefox will set you up nicely, and learning to sweet-spot the up-b is really important. I usually cargo, full jump off the stage and forward throw. You can usually DJ back and either grab the edge or camp the stage. Don't be afraid to jump out there either. I routinely run off the edge or jump out to sweet spot an up-b.

Top Bottom