• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the hell do I fight Falco?

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
Everything I can do, he can do better. And then punish me for it.

The Falco I'm fighting is a ****ing robot. It seems that every time I attack, he spot dodges and dsmashes. I just can't even touch him.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
If the falco begins to spot dodge to much then just use the jab combo instead of smashes or you charge your smash for a split second longer and get him as he is comming out of the dodge. But as for the other part of fighting him you will have to provide a bit more info (you were kinda vaige). I fight allot of falcos and I know what you mean by how annoying they are.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
He just...he's perfect. I can't describe him. I've never beaten him. Not even once.

Except for that one time I bowsercided him to hell and back.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Try ftilting or dtiliting. I'm fairly sure it reaches further than his dsmash does, though I could be wrong.

They made spotdodging way too spammable, and much too nonpunishable.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Honestly the best thing I think you can do if you're playing someone who spotdodges a lot (Wolf players most notably imo) is to change up your pace. Instead of quick moves, do ones that have large startup (NOT like Falcon Punch though). Throw in Fsmash. Throw in BACKWARDS Dsmashes (the back kick gets them EVERY time). Throw in Utilts. That's it. It would be nice if Raptor Boost had dodge frames like in Melee (goes under the lasers) but it doesn't. :(

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
It seems like it would be relatively easy once you get him off the edge. Gimp with U-airs and B-airs, Falco has a garbage recovery.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
It seems like it would be relatively easy once you get him off the edge. Gimp with U-airs and B-airs, Falco has a garbage recovery.
You'd think so....

Phantasm is actually an incredible load of **** to have to guard against. Lag makes it near impossible.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
Lag. That's one of my biggest problems.

I'd do much better if I didn't just stand there eating attacks while waiting for my shield to come up. Trust me, though, this guy is good. I try to edgeguard, and I usually end up getting killed.

Your probably better of counter-picking as someone else.

Falcon s very vulnerable to characters that can camp well, and Falco's one of the best of the business. Falcon doesn't stand much chance in this situation

ADHD

Smash Hero
When all else fails, main samus. Falco cannot stand her floatiness and great ariel combos

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
When all else fails, main samus. Falco cannot stand her floatiness and great ariel combos
When all else fails, become the greatest Smash tactician ever and then just play the same character as your opponent. Your superior mindgames will always equal victory.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Falco's recovery is very good in Brawl. Not in terms of distance, but in terms of how incredibly difficult it is to react to it.

Try punishing a Phantasm. Try it. I think you'll see why Falco's recovery is so good in Brawl.

Honestly this matchup sounds too painful to even consider. But whatever. Basically don't get grabbed at low percents. Counterpick with a stage that has platforms. Bleh...

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Falco's recovery is very good in Brawl. Not in terms of distance, but in terms of how incredibly difficult it is to react to it.

Try punishing a Phantasm. Try it. I think you'll see why Falco's recovery is so good in Brawl.

Honestly this matchup sounds too painful to even consider. But whatever. Basically don't get grabbed at low percents. Counterpick with a stage that has platforms. Bleh...
lol Nothing like a good old A2ZOMG post to make us all optimistic.

Just kidding. I love you man, even though you crush my hopes and dreams. lol You're realistic though so it's ok.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly I'd say Falco is Falcon's worst matchup. Against someone like Snake I think you can ledgeguard and pressure him a bit in the air. You really can't do that with Falco when he can challenge everything you got with that gigantic B-air or D-air of his or even break your combos with a Forward B. Not to mention he's got lamer camping.

Also he gets to chaingrab almost everyone from 0-40. wtfgay.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'd say Falco is Falcon's worst matchup. Against someone like Snake I think you can ledgeguard and pressure him a bit in the air. You really can't do that with Falco when he can challenge everything you got with that gigantic B-air or D-air of his or even break your combos with a Forward B. Not to mention he's got lamer camping.
Olimar ain't sunshine n rainbows either. Maybe incredibly intense sunshine and lucky charms rainbows up the arse. Made of pikmin.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I guess. Olimar is like the toughest character in the game to hit lol. So small, and so much priority.

At least you can gimp Olimar 99% of the time. Maaaaybe Falcon kick also goes through Pikmin?

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
My top main has trouble will Falco. Your best chance of beating him is using a quick fighter with projectiles as well. My Pit does a fancy job against Falco users. I seem to always have 3 stock left when I beat him. Falco is strong and fast so using a slow and strong person may pose difficulty for you.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
I'd say I have more problems simply figuring out wtf move Olimar's trying to pull on me. He has no mother****ing sound cues, he barely moves, all attacks involve throwing pikmin. Seriously, did you just flick a pikmin at me or dya smash one in my nuts? I can't ****ing tell anymore, stop it please...

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Honestly I would put Pikachu as a worse matchup than Olimar. Pikachu is almost as small as Olimar, is harder to kill, and has the same ridiculous priority. Plus he's infinitely more annoying. Olimar is at least weak to jump dodging (if you jump pretty much every attack of his will go under you. Then you can aerial punish).

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
as a falco and captain falcon player, falco is ridiculous to fight as falcon

I have a friend who plays falcon, and falco's bair absolutely dominates him.

seriously, falco's bair alone outprioritizes everything you have. Try to get him on the ground with dtilts and ftilts or something, this is a horrible matchup

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
From a Falco player to you C. Falcon players, these are what would annoy a Falco player coming from the good captain:

-close range falcon kicks
- uair spam
-choose yoshi's island or lylat cruises. horrible stages for falco.

That's about it lol. Spot dodge a lot and use utilt as an edge guard.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
From a Falco player to you C. Falcon players, these are what would annoy a Falco player coming from the good captain:

-close range falcon kicks
- uair spam
-choose yoshi's island or lylat cruises. horrible stages for falco.

That's about it lol. Spot dodge a lot and use utilt as an edge guard.
Falcon Kick gets me shined, I can't uair spam because he's always the one under me (unless he's spiking me).

As for Yoshi's Island and Lylat, I'll give it a try.

The Idealist

Smash Cadet
whenever some random guy on smashboards say something like this, im like "oh thats definently just his opinion that's definently not true..." but then I can't help believing it. :p

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The Falco matchup revolves around getting Falco off the edge. When he's off, make sure you stay at the same vertical level as he is and get ready to b-air and side b's; chances are he's going to do it near the height of the ledge, but it's all variable. If he goes past the height of the ledge, sweetspot a b-air and jump back to the ledge. Falco's up-b has absolutely abysmal range; ledge drops to bairs can fend him off. If he phantasms back onto the stage above you (if he caught onto your ploy), mix it up; if you fake an edgeguard attempt and he side b's high then you have a free knee. It's much trickier to do than to say, but it does work.

As for spot dodging Falco's, dash-->slide--> up smash works well due to the strength and length of the attack. However, it only works if they spot dodge like crazy; they can reflector you away if they catch on to you.

It's a very difficult matchup, but it is winnable.

NéNé

Smash Rookie
once you get him off the ledge use falcons up b, id like to say that its my finisher because when it kills its sweet but the idea is that itll force the falco to recover sooner. unless he sweet spots the ledge you can wait for and anticipate his phantasm and if you see him starting to do his up b grab the edge or anticipate his landing.

Also, im guessing that due to his lasers he's forcing you to come to him but do the opposite and make him come to you. you can spot dodge all of falcos lasers if you time it right, and if hes spamming lasers spam, your spot dodge. make him come to you

Top Bottom