• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the costumes should have been

The-Judge

Banned via Administration
Smash Bros dont focus too much on costumes, and that is very sad.
Having less costumes would spar space in the game, and having more interesting costumes would make the game far funnier. In that way, there would also be more characters in Brawl, through they would only be palette swaps.

First of, there should max be 4 costumes per character. More is just not neccesary. And the costumes should not just be other colors. More like this:

MARIO:
costume 1 - Mario as we know him
costume 2 - Dr. Mario outfit
costume 3 - fire outfit, with white trousers. would be cool.
costume 4 - without cap

LINK:
costume 1 - Twilight Princess Link. he is new
costume 2 - Ocarina of Time Link. should not dumb the old.
costume 3 - Dark Link (i am glad and surprised this made it to the game)
costume 4 - Twilight Princess Link without his tunic, as in the start of TP.

KIRBY:
costume 1 - Kirby as we know him.
costume 2 - Keeby, Kirbys yellow, identical friend.
costume 3 - White Kirby, as in his old box art.
costume 4 - black Kirby (there is a white. f*ck racism!:laugh:)

PIKACHU:
costume 1 - Pikachu as we know him
costume 2 - Shiny Pikachu
costume 3 - Pikachu with Reds cap
costume 4 - i got no idea... but some flashy, unusual colors. green with white stripes?

you get the idea, dont you think they should use less costumes, but make them more interesting? also, mention some costumes you would like.

EDIT:
When Mario is wearing a Dr. Mario costume, his name should also change to Dr. Mario. And when Link is Dark Link, his name should also be that. In a way, that would mean more characters in Brawl, paletteswaps or not.

Paletteswap characters we already got:
-Shiny Pikachu
-Daisy
-Dark Link
-Classic Wario
But they seriously need name changes ingame to truely stand out as unique characters;)

I'd hate to say it, but this is how you would want it, not everyone.
I'm glad for the costume swaps that we did get, even if they don't match everyone's taste.
The game is made. Get a hobby or something...

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Lucario-Mewtwo
Pikachu-Raichu
Samus-Fusion Suit Samus-Dark Samus (ACTUAL customes, not the color chages we have seen)
Sonic-Shadow
Fox-Wolf wait...
ROB-R2D2 (Just joking... But R2D2 is waaaaay cooler than ROB)

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
I like to post in stupid threads like this.

"QQ I hate the costumes because they weren't the way I wanted them!"

Tough luck, get over it.

=Samus-Aran=

Smash Journeyman
Costumes on right side of characters.

Luigi-Mr. L, Flying Luigi (Black and Green)
Mario-Dr. Mario, Flying Mario (Black and Red)
Samus-Dark Samus, Light (?) Samus
Sonic-Knuckles, Silver, Shadow, Amy, Blaze
Pokemon Trainer-Female Pokemon Trainer
Lucario-Shiny Lucario

=S-A=

The-Judge

I dont complain. Why are you *******s SO ****IN NEGATIVE!? Somebody shot your cat or something!?

If you dont like a thread, be mature and dont respond to it.

At least a few of you understood what the thread is about.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Lucario-Mewtwo
Pikachu-Raichu
Samus-Fusion Suit Samus-Dark Samus (ACTUAL customes, not the color chages we have seen)
Sonic-Shadow
Fox-Wolf wait...
ROB-R2D2 (Just joking... But R2D2 is waaaaay cooler than ROB)
But nobody LIKED the Fusion suit.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
red color Pikachu IS shiny Pikachu

Shiny pikachu is a darker orange color, a color Pikachu picks up.

As of currently, Charizard and Lucario are the only two without shinies, but Charizard's dark blue, and lucario's white somewhat resemble shiny colors.

In Melee, Pichu was the only Pokemon without a shiny form, btw.

Jiggly's "blue" costume is her shiny form. Shiny jiggly is sort of a duller pink, which Jigglypuff takes.

The-Judge

red color Pikachu IS shiny Pikachu

Shiny pikachu is a darker orange color, a color Pikachu picks up.

As of currently, Charizard and Lucario are the only two without shinies, but Charizard's dark blue, and lucario's white somewhat resemble shiny colors.

In Melee, Pichu was the only Pokemon without a shiny form, btw.

Jiggly's "blue" costume is her shiny form. Shiny jiggly is sort of a duller pink, which Jigglypuff takes.
Yeah. Dont you think it would be cooler if they didnt added so many random costumes, but only 4 interesting ones per character? More than 4 is a waste of space.

The-Judge

No. What's wrong with more variety? What if people like more colors than just the ones you like?
So you would rather want Mario in random colors than:

MARIO:
costume 1 - His ordinary look
costume 2 - Fire costume
costume 3 - Dr. Mario costume
costume 4 - His ordinary look, but without cap

?

The customs i just made up are more variating than even 10 different colorvariations for Mario. Cause they are not only colors, but actual costumes from Mario's history.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think this is one of the few things everyone does have a right to complain about. Even subpar fighters like the Naruto series and Bloody Roar have alt. outfits, as did Melee knock-off Dream Mix TV World Fighters.

I was honestly really disappointed not to see at least one alt. for everyone. ****, Wolf or Falco could've been alts and saved a character slot, same with Ness/Lucas.

The-Judge

Honestly, I think this is one of the few things everyone does have a right to complain about. Even subpar fighters like the Naruto series and Bloody Roar have alt. outfits, as did Melee knock-off Dream Mix TV World Fighters.

I was honestly really disappointed not to see at least one alt. for everyone. ****, Wolf or Falco could've been alts and saved a character slot, same with Ness/Lucas.
True! Brawl could easily have had like 50 characters if there was only 4 costumes per character, and some of the characters were made paletteswaps.

DinnerSonic

Smash Cadet
Maybe they didn't want to do over a hundred different models, or rip off characters who wouldn't have any good possible alternate character possibilities(Like Pit) or those who's most/best possible ones would just be recolors?(Kirby)

Also remember that colors are used for Teams too, so they always have to have a red, blue and green costume. I personally think they outdid themselves with the color sets for most characters, with things like Dark Link, Waluigi Luigi and the general Black/White color sets added along side the red blue and green ones. It's no alt-costume set, but they're pretty cool compared to before.

The-Judge

Soo...more characters from less characters?
Ness, Lucas, Ninten and Ness in pyjamas could work as one character, just paletteswaped. Would make space for more innonative characters, yet still give more Earthbound characters. Just use less space.

The-Judge

It's not like color swaps take up that much space anyway.
If everyone had only 4 costumes. And nearly identical characters, like Lucas and Ness, were made COMPLETELY identical and used as paletteswaps... There should be room for 2 more innonative, outstanding characters. If you then consider all the possible paletteswap characters, there could be beyond 50 characters, circa 41 of them being invidual, differently working characters.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
If everyone had only 4 costumes. And nearly identical characters, like Lucas and Ness, were made COMPLETELY identical and used as paletteswaps... There should be room for 2 more innonative, outstanding characters. If you then consider all the possible paletteswap characters, there could be beyond 50 characters, circa 41 of them being invidual, differently working characters.
No, color swaps are just color swaps, they don't take as much programming as an entire character would, and that's why they decided to include so many of them.

The-Judge

If it was like this, there would be far less space used, and still MUCH more variety:

MARIO:
costume 2 - Fire costume
costume 3 - Dr. Mario costume

LUIGI:
costume 2 - Fire costume
costume 3 - Mr. L costume

WARIO:
costume 1 - WarioWare costume
costume 2 - Classic costume
costume 3 - Dr. Wario costume
costume 4 - Classic costume, but without cap

PEACH:
costume 1 - Her ordinary look
costume 2 - Daisy
costume 3 - Tennis dress
costume 4 - Bride dress

BOWSER:
costume 2 - Bowser's skeleton
costume 3 - Toonish appearance
costume 4 - Bridegroom costume

YOSHI:
costume 2 - Boshi
costume 3 - Red color
costume 4 - Blue color

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
And once again, color swaps take up very little space, and there's nothing wrong with having lots of colors for a character so people can pick their favorite. If they wanted to make a completely new character, they would have done so regardless of how many color swaps there are.

The-Judge

First off, add Ninten to the roster. Him, Ness and Lucas should have the EXACT same fightingstyle, NO difference AT ALL. Then, on the select screen, you only see Ness. You can change his costume to Lucas and Ninten, and the name also changes to Ninten or Lucas. The fourth costume is Ness in pyjamas.

Wouldnt that be cool? I think its better than Ness and Lucas having nearly no difference, but seperately wasting so much space.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
First off, add Ninten to the roster. Him, Ness and Lucas should have the EXACT same fightingstyle, NO difference AT ALL. Then, on the select screen, you only see Ness. You can change his costume to Lucas and Ninten, and the name also changes to Ninten or Lucas. The fourth costume is Ness in pyjamas.

Wouldnt that be cool? I think its better than Ness and Lucas having nearly no difference, but seperately wasting so much space.
It would be, but there's nothing you can do about it now. The speculation ship sailed away a long time ago.

The-Judge

It would be, but there's nothing you can do about it now. The speculation ship sailed away a long time ago.
This is not speculation, but theoretical correction. Instead of having Ness and Lucas with only few differences, wasting character slots and having so many costumes, my method could be so much better.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
This is not speculation, but theoretical correction. Instead of having Ness and Lucas with only few differences, wasting character slots and having so many costumes, my method could be so much better.
You're super late, the big complaint fest was about a week ago. Regardless, there's no use in crying over spilt milk.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I dont complain. Why are you *******s SO ****IN NEGATIVE!? Somebody shot your cat or something!?

If you dont like a thread, be mature and dont respond to it.

At least a few of you understood what the thread is about.
Being mature means not blowing up when people are trolling your topic. Back to reality...

I thought instead of clones, they should have alternative costumes that alters a character's stats.
That's why they made the sticker system. Also, alternate stats would sort of imbalance a tournament environment. Better to make everyone play with default stats so that it's based more on skill centered around the same character.

Anyways, I don't mind having a lot of different color schemes. Sure, it would have been nice to see Shadow as a Sonic alternate costume, but I'm not going to hold that against the game developers. Every time you decide you want an alternate model instead of a palette swap, that's another day/week/month you're pushing back the game release.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I am not complaining. Just talking about what could have been better.
Same thing. What makes your wants/wishes more important than anyone else's? There's probably already a 'would have/should have/could have' topic somewhere else, you could just dig it up.

And yes, for those that did want alternate stats for characters, SSE Sticker mode is for you.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't take more than 2 days dev time to make a model skin and implement the swap. Anyone who can code worth their sack knows as much.

Now, even if they did one for let's say... 30/34 characters... that's still only 2 extra months. But you know what? A character probably takes about 2 months to dev, given creation, innovation implementation and testing.

Goodbye ROB, hello alternate outfits. Sometimes, Sakurai kind of had his head up his ***.

And no, asking "What about people who like ROB?" isn't a valid response. People who think ROB was a worthwhile addition to the roster need to be beaten in public.

Top Bottom