• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Should They Be Represented? Day 5: King K. Rool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Sandbag: Playable Character
The Smash series has become an All-Star Nintendo series itself, and should have its own playable character in! Once you get rid of Master Hand and Crazy hand for being too big and awkward if small, you are left with Tabuu, a Primid, and Sandbag. Sandbag is more iconic, while Tabuu and Primids are recent and wouldn't represent the entire Smash series. Sandbag could use the old designs of the items as his attacks, and could have a very unique fighting style that would only fit with him! And Sakurai is looking for unique characters, isn't he?

Nomination: Koopalings (as a whole)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sandbag: Playable Character
The Smash series has become an All-Star Nintendo series itself, and should have its own playable character in! Once you get rid of Master Hand and Crazy hand for being too big and awkward if small, you are left with Tabuu, a Primid, and Sandbag. Sandbag is more iconic, while Tabuu and Primids are recent and wouldn't represent the entire Smash series. Sandbag could use the old designs of the items as his attacks, and could have a very unique fighting style that would only fit with him! And Sakurai is looking for unique characters, isn't he?

Nomination: Koopalings (as a whole)
I'm a little curious as to why you brush off Master Hand as unworkable and then say Sandbag is totally plausible. Anyway:

Sandbag: ...Sandbag

I see no reason why this thing should be anything other than what it was explicitly designed to be; a punching bag.

Nominating: Shulk

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Sandbag has been added to the directory.
Sandbag: Sandbag: Personally, I prefer the air Master Hand. He easily can have a great move set IMO. Sandbag? Can't really see it with him.
Nom: Ninten

andimidna

Smash Master
I actually wouldn't mind Tabuu either.

But when Little mac punched the punching bag in his trailer, I think he was confirmed to be a punching bag again.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Sandbag:
Representation: Playable, Riding inside a walking master hand glove like a mech.

Nomination: Ancient Minister

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's leave him as is.
@megabidoof Yes Smash Bros is its own game, series, has allstars... but I feel like, as on SNL, this game is the setting, the cast, there to help the true stars shine. If a Smash character goes off from this cast, and has a spinoff first (the sandbag game?) I'm all for it. But if his only representation is from Smash, keep that sucka' stricken out.

Nominations: Koopalings (since I'm on a stride, and this seems likely to be the first interesting conversation; other than 'too much Mario' shenanigans)

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sandbag should stay an item

Nominate: Kalos Trainer

This game has a lot of potential. Keep it up.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Sandbag: Sandbag, Home Run Bat Target, Online Loading Stage Training Buddy, Trophy

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ok, sorry for yet another week of not updating the thread, but I just finished letting out my hype over that Direct last Tuesday, and I'm ready to get down to business to defeat the Hun.
So almost everyone voted for Sandbag to be, well, Sandbag.... :p
So Sandbag's role apparently deserves to be Sandbag.

Coincidentally, he was confirmed to be a Sandbag during the direct, so yeah.

Next, I will be using my nomination override power, and we will be voting for the Direct's newcomer that no one honestly predicted, Greninja!

Does he deserve to be playable, or should he be a Pokeball Pokemon?
If playable, how should he be so? Should he be standalone, or should he be part of a Pokemon Trainer?

We will also be voting on how Charizard, Zero-Suit Samus, and Sheik should be represented, as they were revealed to be there standalone characters!
Do they really deserve to be standalones, or should they be part of Pokemon Trainer, Samus, and Zelda?

Ignore Yoshi from this picture. :p

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ignore Yoshi... aha.

I'm fine with it now.
I will miss Squirtle, and Ivysaur, who reall should not be playable.
And I've always known it, which is why I was adamant about Pokemon trainer.
Whom I like as a standalone character.
I always wanted Red to summon Pokes anyway.
But enough of that, moving along.

Greninja- I think he is fine as a playable character. He doesn't look exceptionally unique to me, but so be it. I am not sure he deserves to be playable, but Pokemon is hard in that respect, because- does anyone from gen six, when one is unfavorably and undeniably too iconic to have representatives from most anywhere else, justabout?
Charizard with him, yeah... fine. Popularity override. Just make him not suck. Original too. He should Fly, and if he doesnt have Seismic Toss, he fails as a character.
Though, seriously, Im aware this leaves few options for grass starter, but really... it seems missing without one, and the only option is Sceptile, who fails in comparison to Blaziken.
I'm sure he would get a Mega Evolution though, even if Game Freak invented it just for Smash and then added it to Pokemon later.

Zero Suit and Sheik, I say welcome aboard, though I agree that Sheik, at that point, might as well be Impa (though to Smash players who dont play Zelda, it wouldnt make sense... some random other biddy). Which makes me say... just an Impa costume.
We must remember Making it into smash, all star before hand or not, makes you an all star.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
Greninja: Playable

Greninja is a rising star, so it makes sense for him to be in Smash to gain Gen VI even more buyers than it already has.

Charizard: Part of Pokémon Trainer

This may just be a bias, but I freaking hate Charizard and I don't think I deserves to be his own character. At all.

Sheik: Part of Zelda

Sheik is no longer relevant to the series, and the only reason she's stuck around is Zelda. I wouldn't mind seeing her go. She does not deserve to be her own character.

Zero Suit Samus: Part of Samus

Zero Suit Samus, though I do like her more than Sheik, is just Samus again. If they are the same person, they should have the same slot.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Crikey, I thought this thread was dead. Apparently I missed...Sandbag, huh? Okay I can live with this.

Thanks for the Tag, KingShadow.

Greninja: Undecided(??)
Does he deserve a playable slot? This one's a toughie. He is undeniably amongst the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon, easily outranking Chesnaught and Delphox in overall popularity...but is he...ya know...an All Star?

Well...yes and no. On the one hand he's so new it's hard to tell if he'll stand the test of time. On the other, he is a starter. Starters are never truly forgotten and thus he's far more likely to continue to keep his strong fanbase when we hit Gen 7 than say...Pangoro or Hawlucha. Or Jigglypuff.

I'll be honest, as much as I like Greninja, I don't think his inclusion was vital and certainly not at Charizard or Mewtwo's level. He seems slightly less random than Lucario did at the time of his Smash debut, but still smells eerily of the "Promotional shoehorn" that I tend to smell on the likes of Rosalina.

Overall, I'm not disappointed with his inclusion(far from it; Brawl + Mewtwo was the dull outcome I was dreading), but he was by no means vital. I'm split between Pokeball and Playable for him.

Charizard: PLAYABLE(without a doubt)
The most popular Pokemon on the entire planet; has two mega forms, most popular starter of all time, most popular ANIME Pokemon of all time. Has TWO versions named after him; Red and Fire Red.

I didn't like the cutting of Squirtle or Ivysaur, personally I preferred both to Zard both in Smash and in Pokemon, but I know I'm in the minority. Due to sheer presence, popularity and importance overall to the Pokemon series Charizard is probably the most worthwhile Pokemon to be included in Smash after Pikachu...yep, even over Mewtwo.

Zero Suit Samus: Playable
When Sakurai trolled us in the Direct by stating she would not be returning, I honestly said "Yes". I always felt the forced transformation gimmick on Samus to be a pain in the rear end. Then she returned, and I realised I didn't mind her being there as a solo. She plays different from Samus enough, and she IS the main protagonist of Metroid. Admittedly in a different outfit, but still the main protagonist.
It's going to be REALLY weird seeing Zero Suit Samus and Samus face off in their correct colours.

Sheik: Assist Trophy(controversial!)
Sheik is a character I've always felt out of place in Smash. Originally added as a way to make Zelda more unique, Sheik's roles within the Zelda series have been limited and now Sheik's been separated from Zelda, it makes me wonder if she really stands up on her own merits, taking up a character slot on one of Nintendo's most popular franchises.

Simple answer; she doesn't. She's not important at all overall to Zelda. Yes, she is Zelda in ONE game, but Tetra was also Zelda in one game...a ghost was once Zelda in a game. Hilda was once alternative universe Zelda in ONE game, and yet I don't see any of these characters getting a fast pass to playable status. This isn't quite the same situation as Zero Suit Samus, where she is always Samus' under the suit...Sheik is Ocarina of Time Zelda's disguise and no others.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are technically more important to their series, and yet they appear to have been cut whilst Sheik, a one time NPC whose moveset was mostly made up for Smash, returns. Sakurai obviously likes the character a lot. That much is obvious; Toon Sheik was found in Brawl's data for goodness sake, and that character didn't even exist in an actual Zelda game.

Now, I'm not exactly an Impa fan, but I feel out of the two Impa's reoccurring status and ACTUAL sheikah blood should allow her the upper hand to represent this sort of moveset over (Ocarina of Time) Zelda's crossdressing form. Sheik's moveset is great, don't get me wrong, but the character herself doesn't really deserve more than an Assist Trophy role.
Outside of the Smash she's just another non-reoccurring Zelda NPC amongst many.

I'll probably never think she deserves it honestly unless she appears in future Zelda titles.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Greninja: Poke Ball: I'll admit he's unique. But so are Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, and Meowth, all of which more important. I don't mind him in Smash (in fact, I like it), but playable is kinda pushing it.
Charizard: Stand Alone: It's Charizard. He's deserving on his own. He's that important.
ZSS: Trophy: It's Samus without her suit. Transformation or not, Ridley and Dark Samus are both more deserving.
Sheik: Trophy: See ZSS, basically.
Nom: Ninten

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Greninja: Playable.
It is like Blaziken, in which it is much more popular than most of the starters and their evolutions.

Charizard: Pokemon Trainer Pokemon
Pokemon Trainer was my secondary. So I might be baised. Still, the Bulbasaur and Squirtle lines are popular as the Charmander line, unlike the Torchic and Froakie lines.

Zero Suit Samus: Trophy/ Not Forced Transformation of Samus
Was either a pathetic attempt to please the Metroid fans, or was because Sakurai is a complete pervert. (Was actually hoping she was cut)

Sheik: Transformation for Zelda
Zelda always had Sheik, and I felt that she is not as unique anymore. It is not as how Zero Suit Samus was changing Samus.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Greninja: Pokéball
I really like Greninja and I'm happy he's playable(second favorite newcomer). But I'm not sure myself if he really deserves to be a character.

Charizard: Playable
Not only is Charizard one of the most popular Pokémon, he's among the most relevant IF not second.

Sheik: Transformation
Eh, I never cared for Sheik but i don't think she deserves to be her own character slot before some other possible Zelda reps.

Zero Suit Samus: Transformation
I like ZSS, but I think she was fine as being a transformation. However, she deserves to be playable.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Just so everyone knows, I didn't update this for a week on purpose, because I thought I would get more votes that way since this was a big thing. :p
But now we are back to 1-day days!

OUTCOME OF DAY 4!

Greninja: Playable Character!
While some people wanted him as a Pokeball Pokemon, the majority showed to like his inclusion as playable.

Charizard: Playable (Standalone)!
Many people seemed to be OK with him being separated from the Trainer, and think he deserves to be a standalone playable character.

Sheik and Zero-Suit Samus: Transformations!
Most people preferred them as transformations for Zelda and Samus, instead of them being their own standalone characters.

Day 5: King K. Rool!

So I went back and organized all the nominations, and today we will be voting for how King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series will be represented!

[IMG}http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/209/0/a/newcomer_king_k__rool_by_lawlzy-d41zbf8.jpg{/IMG]
Look in the OP for a description and background of this iconic gaming villain!

So vote for K. Rool today!

Just gonna tag some important people here:
@ Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar
@ Groose Groose
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
@Brawler610
@ BKupa666 BKupa666

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
King K. Rool:

Pros:
  • Main antagonist of the Donkey Kong Series.
  • Extremely popular. Possibly only behind Mewtwo and Ridley.
  • Moveset potential.

Cons:
  • Becoming less relevant.
Verdict: Playable
In my opinion, K. Rool should be the next DK newcomer. Also, the DK Series is more than deserving to have a 3rd rep and King K. Rool is probably the candidate for that spot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool - Character
Of course. Main villain of Nintendo's fourth best-selling character-driven franchise. Intensely popular. Potential and personality out the wazoo.

lami

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool would be pretty dang awesome to have in the game. His moveset would be crazy unique and fun, and we could use another iconic villain. I remember playing DKC-DKC3 with my cousin growing up, and K. Rool would be a great addition to the cast.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
King K. Rool:

Pros:
  • Main antagonist of the Donkey Kong Series.
  • Extremely popular. Possibly only behind Mewtwo and Ridley.
  • Moveset potential.

Cons:
  • Becoming less relevant.
Verdict: Playable
In my opinion, K. Rool should be the next DK newcomer. Also, the DK Series is more than deserving to have a 3rd rep and King K. Rool is probably the candidate for that spot.
K. Rool - Character
Of course. Main villain of Nintendo's fourth best-selling character-driven franchise. Intensely popular. Potential and personality out the wazoo.
Don't forgot to use your nomination.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I've wanted K. Rool since Melee. I'm not gonna lie though, before the recent Direct I was thinking K. Rool might not show up at all. The Kremlings haven't been in any games since 2008. Many people (including myself) were worried Nintendo or Retro were trying to wipe the Kremlings out of the DK series. Nintendo wasn't too kind to the DK series after Rare was bought out. Jungle Beat was set to get rid of everything besides DK himself. Koizumi has been quoted that DKC "wasn't fresh enough for today's audience". Yeah, okay. Surely it wasn't just Nintendo being stubborn over Rare's work on the DKC series.

I'm rambling though, so let me just get to the point. Kremlings appearing in Smash Run shows that either Nintendo has nothing against the Kremlings, or if they do, then Sakurai just doesn't care. I'm banking on a 50/50 chance of him being either or a playable character or a boss.

Nomination : Captain Rainbow

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
K Rool

He is the main villain of his series. I think that nobody would have his moveset.

Nominations: Ridley

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
K. Rool

Boss.
If it's good enough for Ridley...

Alright, I'm just poking the bear croc here.

K. Rool needs to get back into the DKC series ASAP. It's clear from his vocal supporters here he has the fanbase, so Nintendo really need to start acting off of that support and start insisting he be included in future DK titles, or else K. Rool is going to fade into obscurity like Wart or Tatanga did.

That said in his current position I feel he's more suited to a boss role. His moveset is great, but honestly I can't see it fitting better as a playable than a boss. 'Kredits' for example seems like something that would only work in a boss fight(as it did), I can't see it working in a playable moveset.

Should K. Rool get back into his own series, I'll happily change my opinion on the matter for future Smashes.

Nominate

Wii Fit Trainer.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
K Rool - A reluctant "Playable"

I'm not a fan of K Rool, but I'm still pretty unclear on what his role should be. In the end I decided on playable almost purely based on his popularity. If it was up to me I'd make him an assist or a boss, but I think I'm a little biased against the Donkey Kong series.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
K Rool: Playable: It's King K Rool. Alongside Ridley and Toad, he's one of the biggest All-Stars never playable in Smash. That alone is good enough, but the move set helps.
Ninten is my nom, as usual.
Directory has been updated.

D

Deleted member

King K. Rool

What else can I say? It's playable or nothing for King K. Rool. He isn't boss material at all and he wouldn't fit as an Assist Trophy or Stage Hazard.
Nomination: Shulk

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Playable. No reason he shouldn't be.

Tharja

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
K. Rool?

Playable. If not that, Boss. Nothing less; ever.

He has the fanbase, and if the gap between Brawl and Sm4sh was any indication, he will always have that fanbase, and the Kremlings will always be around. So they just need to start using him again god damn it.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
K. Rool: Playable.

Let's face it: he deserves it. He is the main villain of a very important series, and he would make for a very interesting character. Worst case scenario, he should at least be a boss, but I think he deserves more than that.

Nomination: Dixie Kong

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Just gonna tag some important people here:
@ Groose Groose
I'm flattered, Bidoof.

King K. Rool: Playable
He's a top-ten request in both the East and the West. He's the main villain of the DK franchise*. He has a pretty deep movepool. We could always use more villain characters. The DK franchise is extremely popular, underrepresented, and in the midst of a major uptick. Need I go on?

*OK, he didn't appear in Returns or Tropical Freeze, but he was the antagonist in the DK franchise from 1994 to 2008. He had the role of the main villain in DKC (1994), DKC 2 (1995), DKC 3 (1996), DK64 (1999), DK King of Swing (2005), DK Jungle Climber (2007), and DK Barrel Blast (2008). Also, he was in pretty much every episode of the DKC Cartoon (1997-2000). K. Rool also was in Super Mario Sluggers (2008) and Donkey Konga (2003), but his roles there weren't really as notable as in other games. The only DK game he missed from 1994 to 2008 was Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga 2, and that game cut pretty much everything--even Diddy Kong was left out!

Nominate: Bandana Dee
Just kidding! I wouldn't wish that fate upon another thread!

Nominate: Tingle

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
King K. Rool: Playable

I don't think he deserves anything less. I suppose you could argue for him being a boss, but I would say that if Bowser, King Dedede, and Ganondorf should be playable rather than be bosses, K. Rool should be playable as well.

Nominating: Ridley

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool: Playable.
He's a very recognizable and very popular character with diverse options for a moveset.

Nomination: Tingle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom