• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should nintendo change Sonic from the demo to the finished game?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I heard smash pros who went to E for all said that Sonic is no doubt the fastest character in the game, in running speed. But his aerial mobility is average... When sonic is speedy all around, thats the only complaint about him that I have. Is there anyway to complain about that to nintendo?
Anyone else have any complaints about how nintendo made sonic? Moves, recovery, dodges, costumes? Except for the black shadow like one. Thats awesome!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I heard smash pros who went to E for all said that Sonic is no doubt the fastest character in the game, in running speed. But his aerial mobility is average... When sonic is speedy all around, thats the only complaint about him that I have. Is there anyway to complain about that to nintendo?
Anyone else have any complaints about how nintendo made sonic? Moves, recovery, dodges, costumes? Except for the black shadow like one. Thats awesome!
Why are you complaining? Since when is SSB exactly canon to the respective franchises a said character comes from? Perhaps giving Sonic average aerial mobility was a way of balancing him out for having the fastest running speed (so far) in Brawl.

-Knight

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Sonic's costumes should be, Blue, Black, Silver, Gold, and Meta Sonic metallic blue.
Blue- His default costume.
Black- Shadow costume.
Silver- Sliver's costume, from sonice and the secret rings.
Gold/Yellow- Super sonic!
Metallic Blue- Meta Sonic look alike.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Why are you complaining? Since when is SSB exactly canon to the respective franchises a said character comes from? Perhaps giving Sonic average aerial mobility was a way of balancing him out for having the fastest running speed (so far) in Brawl.
Look at Captain Falcon in Melee, he was fast in the air and on the ground. And he had powerful moves, Sonic doesnt have powerful moves. So he needs that speed in the air.
Hmm, maybe sonic should use the homing attack in the air to speed himself up, what would be even better is if he can cancel his homing attack, and do another attack out of it while having the homing attacks aerial mobility.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Captain Falcon's physical attacks weren't that fast compared to the other speedy characters which is why I had a problem controllig him yet he had the fastest running speed.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It seems like sonic is more of an ground attack character, that has good grabs backed up by speed and ground momentum. I do have a question for anyone for might have played him at E for all. Is it possible to cancel any of sonic's dash attack moves while he is in the air, like homing attack (neutral B), or side B, or down B, and use the momentum of the dash to attack with an aerial attack?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It seems like sonic is more of an ground attack character, that has good grabs backed up by speed and ground momentum. I do have a question for anyone for might have played him at E for all. Is it possible to cancel any of sonic's dash attack moves while he is in the air, like homing attack (neutral B), or side B, or down B, and use the momentum of the dash to attack with an aerial attack?
If you saw the videos you'd know you can go direction from a spin dash to an air attack....that was the entire purpose of the move, in fact

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I actually read that you can cancel sonic's all of sonics dash moves while he is dashing and you can use any other move after you can the dash. However, its not known if you can cancel the neutral B, homing attack. It is possible that the dash cancel moves can give sonic more aerial momentum, which would be great!

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Sonic kind of seems like an 'all-over' character to me, being too fast to stick just to the ground or air. He appears like he could be amazing when controlled right, but otherwise only mediocre. Dunno what I'd ask for change on him, his B moves seemed too similar and unoriginal at first, but seeing it in action more has shown to me that they can each be useful in a way. Only bit the bugged me was the Falcon Punch-like charge-up for his neutral B Homing Attack.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I actually read that you can cancel sonic's all of sonics dash moves while he is dashing and you can use any other move after you can the dash. However, its not known if you can cancel the neutral B, homing attack. It is possible that the dash cancel moves can give sonic more aerial momentum, which would be great!
The N-special is not cancel-able. Reports shows that the Homing Attack was very glitchy, and resulted in many self-destructs because it'll fly you off the edge. One report said that if you use it (while facing away from the stage), and the opponent gets under you, you'll make a big arc and end up below the entire stage. The arc was big enough that you can go under the stage unless you were near the middle of a stage like battlefield (that comes to show that this glitch will cause death on most stages at most locations on those stages). And of course, this wasn't the only glitch seen (just one I happen to remember clearly) These glitchy Homing Attacks really needs to be fixed in the final version (or else using that move is a great risk of dying every time).

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Homing attack = Sonic suicide? Im sure nintendo will fix that, Im curious to know the homing attacks range. Its probably less suicidal when your near your opponent, and more suicidal the farther you are away, creating a bigger arc.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet

-Knight
What are you talking about SSB tends to be so dang close to canon that it's ridiculous!

For example in the his games Sonic really doesn't have much aerial control. He's either moving with his insane momentum.... or he's just sort of jumping straight up

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I feel like nintendo did sonic wrong in brawl. yes, they gave him the nessesary speed, but i felt like hes going to have a nice even flow like shiek in SSBM, but from the looks of the videos is movements are to fast to control.

im hoping to see changes in his homing move alot. ive been playing sonic since he arrived in the scene. Ive beaten almost every game of his, and he just doesnt look right to me. his homing should be just an arial move, like hitting B in the air he just launches at the closest opponent, which would also be a helpful way if someone follows you off the edge, and on the ground it should be like sheik running A, exept he rolls into a ball which would help for spindash combos.

im also hoping while is down B is charging it does damage to attacking people, i havent really seen anything in E4A reports but i wasnt looking to hard either.

his forward smash is a joke. a wind-up punch? they couldn't come up with anything better than that?
Sonic has a hobby of DJ, i was certian that nintendo and the sonic team were going to sheo that as a possible taunt, but apperently not. chillidogs are a must taunt as well.

where are the rings? chao? where is all this stuff? sonic is more than brawl is making him look like

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
He needs the Axe Kick. From Sonic battle. That move would be the king of all spikes, I'm tellin' ya. . .
Yeah the axe kick would be a better down air move than the one he has now that resembles a falcon kick in the air. I always thought sonic would have a spiking move. Im saddened to see that his d-air cant spike. I would much prefer the axe kick, that spikes people down, I think that would suit Sonic more.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I feel like nintendo did sonic wrong in brawl. yes, they gave him the nessesary speed, but i felt like hes going to have a nice even flow like shiek in SSBM, but from the looks of the videos is movements are to fast to control.

im hoping to see changes in his homing move alot. ive been playing sonic since he arrived in the scene. Ive beaten almost every game of his, and he just doesnt look right to me. his homing should be just an arial move, like hitting B in the air he just launches at the closest opponent, which would also be a helpful way if someone follows you off the edge, and on the ground it should be like sheik running A, exept he rolls into a ball which would help for spindash combos.

im also hoping while is down B is charging it does damage to attacking people, i havent really seen anything in E4A reports but i wasnt looking to hard either.

his forward smash is a joke. a wind-up punch? they couldn't come up with anything better than that?
Sonic has a hobby of DJ, i was certian that nintendo and the sonic team were going to sheo that as a possible taunt, but apperently not. chillidogs are a must taunt as well.

where are the rings? chao? where is all this stuff? sonic is more than brawl is making him look like
Well, the chilidogs quite frankly have no chance at all. That's Archie-Comic's deal, and Sega of Japan hates them with fire. As for rings and Chao. . .well, too much of that sort of stuff would get a bit cheesy, IMO. To be totally honest, I think they could have done better with his UpB, too.

Not to say that it's a bad move, just that I think I'd like to see something other than a spring.

I do agree about the wind-up punch, though. And if there's one thing other than the axe he needs, it's some pressure differences. You know, cyclones and the like.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon's physical attacks weren't that fast compared to the other speedy characters which is why I had a problem controllig him yet he had the fastest running speed.
There's also the whole inertia factor, he was the only character known to keep zooming across the screen after a long jump, even after performing an attack. Captain Falcon has the whole inertia thing and partially laggy start ups to his otherwise very powerful attacks. His B attacks (except for Falcon Punch) were very weak though. Raptor Boost I remember had minimal damage of about 5% - 6%. His FAir, which is no fair, can deal massive knockback and damage.

Sonic needs to be made less awkward. Sonic also has the whole inertia thing going on with his ground attacks, and it'd be nice to be able to have him stop on a dime. Running fast has no point if you zoom past the enemy and miss your dash attack.

Mavridik

Smash Cadet
One of sonic costumes could be the darkspine super sonic from secret rings.
And a little change of his B moves should be great too.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
The available costumes is the main thing that disappoints me. Other than that, I could care less because in the final cut Nintendo will come through on the playability of the character.

tacosrus

Smash Cadet
One question about sonic, are his dash moves like Yoshi's egg where you can go off the edge, or is it like Fox's illusion where it stops?

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Reports shows that the Homing Attack was very glitchy, and resulted in many self-destructs because it'll fly you off the edge. One report said that if you use it (while facing away from the stage), and the opponent gets under you, you'll make a big arc and end up below the entire stage. The arc was big enough that you can go under the stage unless you were near the middle of a stage like battlefield (that comes to show that this glitch will cause death on most stages at most locations on those stages)..
Nothing to worry about then. It seems the homing attack performs just like it does in the 3d Sonic games.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
If i had some edits on sonic......

1) Sonic's model is too big.... he needs to be smaller
2) I don't know the idea with the wind up punch, that needs to end
3) Sonic should have a chao move
4) Speed up, blowback down

Alternate Costumes
-Knuckles (no neo/supersonic bull)
-Shadow
-Tails

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Sonic needs to be made less awkward. Sonic also has the whole inertia thing going on with his ground attacks, and it'd be nice to be able to have him stop on a dime. Running fast has no point if you zoom past the enemy and miss your dash attack.
That did seem to be a problem, but in my opinion that's only going to make him more fun to master. So, you know, you can be the very best like no one ever was.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
Nothing to worry about then. It seems the homing attack performs just like it does in the 3d Sonic games.
QFT, if there ever was a QFT, this is it. XD

SO many frustrating, yet fun, times. :D

I think they were mainly in the Sonic VS. Shadow True Story level.

I want more alt costumes, but why Knux and Tails? I can't really imagine "This game's winner is... Sonic!" and it be Knux. It don't fit man.

Otherwise, I know only what I've read. But man do I really really wanna try him out...

My mains would be Sonic, all the Kirby characters, DK, Yoshi, Mama Luigi, and Tails is he's in. ANd don't start anything about these here please.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
Reading this thread left me under the impression that people wanted Sonic to resemble some other Melee character they know better, gameplay-wise. He's a NEW character guys, that's part of what's interesting.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
My main complaints are the costumes, except for the black shadow look alike one. And his down aerial, it seems like if sonic uses the down aerial over the edge, he cant cancel it and he will fall to his doom. So I hope you can cancel it, or they replace it with the axe kick spiking move. At least give him one spiking move.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
When I played sonic he seemed to play better than i imagined him to be. We'll definitly be seeing him a lot more than Link in tournament play.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Link actually seems alot better than in Melee. But, I know its too early to say. I know my main will either be Link or Sonic, or another character that Im naturally good at.

Top Bottom