• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How old should I be to go to Tournaments?

GonashX

Smash Rookie
NNID
OandKC
So, I've been playing Smash 4 competitively for a while now and I was wondering if I should start going to tournaments. I don't think that I'm 'good' enough but I do want to learn from people, even though I will probably not do well. I recently turned 14 and have been playing Smash a bit 'lowkey', I don't know how young Smash 4 players normally are but I do want to start attending at this age. What do you guys think I should do?

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Wasn't there a Smash Wii U tournament for 12 and under?

Anyways, now is a good start, as long as you have the transportation to get to and fro (At least until you can drive yourself). Try not to worry about things like if the scene will die out. Melee is still being played 14 years later. You have your whole life ahead of you so you stay humble and adopt a will to learn and remember, it takes patience; it's not an overnight thing, if I were to give some general advice.

GonashX

Smash Rookie
NNID
OandKC
Wasn't there a Smash Wii U tournament for 12 and under?

Anyways, now is a good start, as long as you have the transportation to get to and fro (At least until you can drive yourself). Try not to worry about things like if the scene will die out. Melee is still being played 14 years later. You have your whole life ahead of you so you stay humble and adopt a will to learn and remember, it takes patience; it's not an overnight thing, if I were to give some general advice.
Thanks. I'll try since I'm hoping to convince my parents to help me make this my hobby. Also, yes they did have a tournament. Not sure who won tho :/

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I know Nakat did a bit on age and tournament attendance. He was all about going even if you're a bit younger. You should be fine, just consider the venue, where it is, what it's like, the sorts of people who go there, etc. Most Smash players are pretty welcoming and nice so you will probably be fine. Consider bringing a parent with you if they are concerned.

Found a couple of possibly relevant videos:
-A video addressing the parents of young SMashers by Nakat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWQFOnF1k8
-Nakat directly talking a fan's parent about them attending tournaments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUotvDtGvG8
-He's got some other vids about balancing school and Smash and stuff, check it out if you think it may be what you're looking for. Hope these help!

Last edited:

GonashX

Smash Rookie
NNID
OandKC
I know Nakat did a bit on age and tournament attendance. He was all about going even if you're a bit younger. You should be fine, just consider the venue, where it is, what it's like, the sorts of people who go there, etc. Most Smash players are pretty welcoming and nice so you will probably be fine. Consider bringing a parent with you if they are concerned.

Found a couple of possibly relevant videos:
-A video addressing the parents of young SMashers by Nakat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWQFOnF1k8
-Nakat directly talking a fan's parent about them attending tournaments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUotvDtGvG8
-He's got some other vids about balancing school and Smash and stuff, check it out if you think it may be what you're looking for. Hope these help!
Awesome man, I can't wait to start talking to my parents about it. NAKAT and LoF as a whole are really inspiring to me, and to see them welcome new Smash players with open arms is incredible! Thanks so much for this!

Raijinken

Smash Master
Aside from the mentioned obvious things like ensuring you have a ride and your parents are cool with it and whatnot, just go out of your way to make sure people see (and treat) you as a fellow Smash player and not the stereotypical little kid who goes to tournaments and wonders why items are off.

Basically, it would probably help to go a few times as an onlooker instead of an entrant. Get a feel for the attitudes, maybe play some friendlies, ask some questions, stuff like that. Go with the intent to learn more about the game and how to improve, and just be sure to keep an open attitude about it.

It's a lot like going on a forum, in some ways. It's better to lurk and get a feel for things so you don't risk making an idiotic first impression. The last thing you want is to fuel the (unfortunately often justified) bias a lot of players have against young players.

Oh, and obviously don't do the above when someone's in a tournament match. As questions and get suggestions during friendlies or from someone who isn't in a match. Especially if you already know anyone attending, find out if anyone has a reputation as a good coach. The TO may be a good place to start if you don't know anyone.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I mean, Raijinken has some solid advice there, but I don't think there's any harm in going and playing your first time. It beats standing around and watching. Isn't that what you're there to do? Play the game? People are mostly pretty nice and will probably give you tips after or during your matches. Questions are fine, try not to overdo it, but that's something you can feel out; it's just dealing with people, standard stuff. Of course, there may be some jerks, but that's normal. Don't pay attention to them.

Just showing up and participating is enough. Have fun. If you want to learn, there are plenty of ways to get better while you're there, you just have to put yourself out there a bit. But be careful, of course. These are strangers, so you should know the drill. Watch out for creeps, play as much as you can, ask questions, have fun, or keep to yourself and mostly watch other play, whatever. It all really depends on what you want to get out of it. Big thing is working it out with your parents and being smart about things. Hope it all works out!

Raijinken

Smash Master
I mean, Raijinken has some solid advice there, but I don't think there's any harm in going and playing your first time. It beats standing around and watching. Isn't that what you're there to do? Play the game? People are mostly pretty nice and will probably give you tips after or during your matches. Questions are fine, try not to overdo it, but that's something you can feel out; it's just dealing with people, standard stuff. Of course, there may be some jerks, but that's normal. Don't pay attention to them.

Just showing up and participating is enough. Have fun. If you want to learn, there are plenty of ways to get better while you're there, you just have to put yourself out there a bit. But be careful, of course. These are strangers, so you should know the drill. Watch out for creeps, play as much as you can, ask questions, have fun, or keep to yourself and mostly watch other play, whatever. It all really depends on what you want to get out of it. Big thing is working it out with your parents and being smart about things. Hope it all works out!
This is true. My first tournament experience was pretty terrible, so I'm a bit of a skeptic about just showing up and playing. But Oats is right, the best way to learn and have fun is to play. Just don't set your expectations too high, and give it your best.

D

Deleted member

There are kids at my scene who I think are 9 or 10, something like that. They both main Mac and they are garbage but we love teaching them about the game and they love learning! Their dad come's sometimes but mainly for the coffee :p

Also my Mum came to my first tournament to make sure I would be alright and she ended up leaving and doing some shopping halfway through ;)

My point being, you're 14. Go.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Go whenever you can stay for the entire length of a tournament. That's really the only bar imo.
Whilst staying the whole time is cool, it's also not essential. It'll give you more time to play friendlies and talk to people, but if it's your first tournament you might not want to be there for hours after you get eliminated.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I started playing this tabletop strategy game competitively when I was 10. It was a great way to get into competitive games in general, and now, four years later, I'm one of the top players at my venue and very seldom lose. I say go for it.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Just do it!!!!!Hax$ started like at 12 or something like that. You will probably need an adult to be with you cause you know parents need to know their kid is safe.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Whilst staying the whole time is cool, it's also not essential. It'll give you more time to play friendlies and talk to people, but if it's your first tournament you might not want to be there for hours after you get eliminated.
That's the best way to learn though: both playing and watching others.

Also if you end up doing amazing, nothing would suck more than to have to DQ because your parents came to pick you up even though you weren't eliminated yet.

GonashX

Smash Rookie
NNID
OandKC
Alright, after everything I've gathered from this I'm still a bit confused. I know that I should start attending but why should I stay after I have been eliminated? Is it to learn from the players or something else? Also can you guys tell me what your first tournament experiences were?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Alright, after everything I've gathered from this I'm still a bit confused. I know that I should start attending but why should I stay after I have been eliminated? Is it to learn from the players or something else? Also can you guys tell me what your first tournament experiences were?
Largely that. Get to see how the best in your area play and learn from them. You also make friends easier if you're there the whole time. Which means next time you're have an easier time picking up friendly matches to play before the tournament starts.

A tournament isn't just strictly a tournament, its also a social event.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Nothing says you cant start doing tournaments now unless that specific tournament is 18+. And if they ever say that its either because they had issues with whiny/ragy kids in the past, or they just fear it happening so getting in might be difficult.

Only reason i avoid tournaments is because i dont find that level of play to be fun. If its fun for you, go for it.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
I dont think there's an age to stary going,after what happened yesterday with LEO you can see 14 year olds are perfectly capable of playing at pro level.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I swear I've seen this exact same thread posted about a dozen times before.

There typically is no minimum age requirement for attending Smash tourneys (unless it is being held in a bar, of course). However, if you are below the driving age in your state, then you will need to find a transportation method, and if you are below 18 then you need to make sure your parents are okay with it. You also need to have some thick skin, as there is definitely a bias against younger players, especially if you are better than the older players. The Smash 4 community is much more accepting of minors than the Melee community, but that doesn't mean it's all sunshine and rainbows, so make sure that you are prepared to call people out if they start treating you rudely. Also, Smash players are very crass, so if swear words offend you, you might want to reconsider attending.

robbyisninja

Smash Rookie
I'm even younger than you are, and I attend tournaments. Unless there's an age limit, it really doesn't matter. Whenever you feel like you're ready for the competition, go for it! The only aspect that age might affect is getting transportation. Thankfully, my parents are willing to give me a ride, and even to a tournament in another state. So as long as there's no age limit (or you're old enough), and you can get the transportation, then you should go!

Diner

Smash Rookie
I go to tournaments also at a young age :) i started going to smash 4 tournaments when i was 14 also, but now im 15. The main issue i have about being young is rides and money. My parents dont support me going to tournaments, so they never take me. The only way i get to tournaments is from my friends from the tournaments being nice enought to take me. But other than that, there is nothing to worry about. I've got quite a bit of friends from tournaments, who are all much older than me, but they all see me as a friend. Although I think the reason for why is because i look a lot older than i am, so people thought i was there age until i told them.

Tl;dr
Go for it man. Main issue is rides, and money. You get more benefits than losses in the competitive scene :)

Top Bottom