• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many ROBs are really out there?

Asian_Mario

Smash Rookie
If you know the history of ROB, then you'll understand why people don't really choose him.
ROB was only used in two games, not including SSBB. After that, Nintendo just...ditched him. And being Nintendo Fan Boys, if Nintendo doesn't like it, neither do they.

I've gotta say, ROB is very fun to use. Flying around for hours and just Nairing people. It's the "WTF?!" look on their faces from the surprise of his knock-back that makes him an awesome character.

chckn

Smash Ace
If you know the history of ROB, then you'll understand why people don't really choose him.
ROB was only used in two games, not including SSBB. After that, Nintendo just...ditched him. And being Nintendo Fan Boys, if Nintendo doesn't like it, neither do they.

I've gotta say, ROB is very fun to use. Flying around for hours and just Nairing people. It's the "WTF?!" look on their faces from the surprise of his knock-back that makes him an awesome character.
First off ROB was not only featured in the two NES games, but he was also an unlockable char in mariokart. Secondly I highly doubt that the reason for his little use is because people feel that nintendo "gave up on him". At least imo choosing a character goes a little deeper than that lol.

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
The reason I chose to try out ROB originally was because I didn't think anyone had paid him much attention. No-one in my area had, and all the forums talked about Meta-Knight and Snake and such. So I thought 'yeah sure why not'

I'm so glad I did, because ROB is awesome and I really enioy using him, and I think he's underrated. I'm no pro, but I'm certainly no n00b either and I see no logical reason why he's not more widely acknowledged as a good character to use.

In short - R.O.B. = awesome

null55

Smash Master
I'm going to be honest here... I pretty much chose R.O.B. for two reasons. One, he's hilarious. I don't stop laughing when I see him. And two, most importantly, it was easy for me to do well with him. And I know some of you had said R.O.B.'s a harder character to learn how to use, but I really found it very natural. I guess that's what you call fitting your "play-style."

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I don't know, I needed a secondary and I wanted someone with a projectile to offset Marth, and I picked ROB because of his great recovery, too and now I figured out there is much more to him, and I'm getting pretty good with him.:)

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
None of my pals played him and I decided to try him out one day, not great play on my part but it seemed more natural than some of the other cast members I've tried. Decided to look at the guides and some posts on here and learned some tricks and I've mained him since. :)

Johnyboy

Smash Rookie
The first time i played R.O.B. it already felt good. And he's cute lol! I think that people don't pick him because he's pretty slow

In mariokart DS he's my favorite

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
People are just pissy because they picture him as the one who took the spot of their desired character. I used to think he was a random choice, but in practice, he's really deserving of the spot. I mean, he didn't have a long run, but that run gave the gaming industry the extra boost it needed back in the day. I reflected upon that while I was practicing as him the first time I unlocked him. Besides, his role in SSE suggests he was a top priority on Sakurai's list (and it was the most epic plot twist/revelation in the game). I use him about as much as Link or Snake, the two who I use the most.

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
R.O.B. is amazing. He's got killer moves and a great backstory, and it's a shame he isn't a popular character.

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
I just like his playstyle and the way his moves work. Plus not a lot of people play against ROBs so they don't know how to deal with him.

Ginger

Smash Rookie
I used to play olimar for the first week or so that brawl was out.

I would dabble in every character, though, I found that experimentation with everything would make me a better smasher and possibly find the character that fit my playstyle.

Eventually I was playing ROB more and more until I was playing him more than any character. His unique moveset and subtle tricks allow him to be a well rounded character whose meta game has the opportunity to expand extremely far. I am a ROB main in vegas, hopefully the best (unless techno beast takes over :D)

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
At first there were only a couple of notable ROBs in the US, but he is picking up fast since people realize his potential. Still though, only a few ROBs are actually ranked/do well in tourneys.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
As soon as he was announced I knew this would be my character. And ever since then it's been on. I really need to own this game...or a Wii for that matter -_-

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
omfg just make sure you watch all the videos when playing through the Subspace Emmisary =D

it also helps to get a friend who's been through SSE and KNOWS it to play along with you to make it a much shorter journey [and by shorter, I mean 8-9 hours] so that you won't completely hate it

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
Well im not really in the competitive scene yet but i have been playing rob ever since the game came out, his WoP and awesome N-Air did it for me, plus he is a robot how cool is that?:) I know i will not be the only rob in my area though seeing as im from NoVa.

Top Bottom