• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many ROBs are really out there?

chckn

Smash Ace
We all know about how good ROB really is, but in actuality at least from my experience not many people play him. I mean there are the few exceptional ROBs that consistently place high in tournaments, but those are few and far between. So I was wondering what the reason is for his lack of representation in tournaments and even casual play. Any ideas?

blueyoshi5

Smash Rookie
I think it is that everyone just forgets about him, because he's not God in a SSBB form, or the magikarp of SSBB.

Sudai

Stuff here
I think it is that everyone just forgets about him, because he's not God in a SSBB form, or the magikarp of SSBB.
^This^

Also, a lot of people, from my experience, believe that he's really not good. Which I prove the, wrong. : P

Normally I'm the only ROB at the Louisiana Tournaments, but this last one I had three players comment that they were going to pick up the overlord after watching some of my fights.

I kind of don't want them to though? I like that not many players play ROB and that I was the only one in Louisiana. I love the element of surprise on our opponents and some of the comments I get like "**** you can aim that laser", "You have to spike him how many times?!", or other stuff like that.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I kind of don't want them to though? I like that not many players play ROB and that I was the only one in Louisiana. I love the element of surprise on our opponents and some of the comments I get like "**** you can aim that laser", "You have to spike him how many times?!", or other stuff like that.
Agreed 100%. Part of the reason I decided to main him was because he's so unpopular compared to other high tier characters.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
I only saw 3 or 4 ROB mains, Including myself, at the last EC's esticle Series. That was about 60 people or so. It was sad, really.

chckn

Smash Ace
^This^

Also, a lot of people, from my experience, believe that he's really not good. Which I prove the, wrong. : P

Normally I'm the only ROB at the Louisiana Tournaments, but this last one I had three players comment that they were going to pick up the overlord after watching some of my fights.

Exact reason why I decided to pick him up. Even from the first day the game came out, I loved how confusing his disjointed nair was+his wop and such that people really underestimate due to lack of practice against him. Playing competitively with him(at least at this point) almost feels like how using gw in melee felt. No one knows wtf is going on lol. But yeah I have a feeling that once people see his potential he will become alot more popular possibly decreasing this element of surprise. On the other hand though, the more ROBs the more contributions to his metagame so its win win!

Sudai

Stuff here
I dunno. We already have really good contributions to his metagame. It's not quantity, it's quality we need. From what I've seen, the ratio of good players to total players is a lot better for ROB than for a lot of other characters.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I picked up ROB for a couple reasons.

1) I've always loved a good projectile game, and he's got it.

2) Two of my friends in my playgroup are named Rob, and they both suck with him. I love beating them with themselves.

3) He's good without being overrated. As soon as Brawl came out, half of the people I play with rushed to MK or Snake. ROB is pretty much on the same level as those characters, but since he's not as well known, I can make people go "Wtf? He can do that?" Everyone and their baby sister knows MK is a good character. Hell, a lot of people picked up MK and Snake right off the bat just because they're MK and Snake, pretty well-known characters outside of Brawl. ROB comes out of nowhere and still owns up.

O, and my secondary is G&W. Fits in pretty well with point 3, I guess.

chckn

Smash Ace
I dunno. We already have really good contributions to his metagame. It's not quantity, it's quality we need. From what I've seen, the ratio of good players to total players is a lot better for ROB than for a lot of other characters.
This is true, I mean you look at other characters like snake or mk and there are 802342390402 decent players but only a handful of substantial ones that actually contribute to furthering their metagame.

null55

Smash Master
cough. Ike.

Axis

Smash Apprentice
It seems to me like more people have him on their doubles roster than singles...
It might just be me tho :confused:

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
am I the only one who picked up ROB because he's just a sexy robot? >_>

I've got a few people inspired to pick him up, but there are usually 3 ROBs, including me, at SoVa tourneys. But I'm the best of them so I'm not worried about it hahaha. I look at them and think "well, you can TRY to be this sexy awesome character, but I mean..you won't quite 'get it' so it's okay."

I'm torn though; this amazing ROB player, who inspired me to pick him up, actually, essentially quit Brawl. I want him to come back and I don't, you know? I have a lot I might be able to learn from him and he could potentially become better than me >_>

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I'm torn though; this amazing ROB player, who inspired me to pick him up, actually, essentially quit Brawl. I want him to come back and I don't, you know? I have a lot I might be able to learn from him and he could potentially become better than me >_>
Thats sweet toasty.

Everyone should learn a lesson from SoVA..

They have nothing but love and respect for everyone :*)

Viktormoros

Smash Rookie
I started to play using R.O.B. recently. It was a smooth transition with my other main being Jigglypuff...Does anyone else feel like R.O.B. is an improved version of Jigglypuff? They're both good in the air, can fly around a lot, wall of pain etc. Best of all R.O.B. has projectiles and great smashes. I might switch my main to R.O.B. once I practice a bit more.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ROB is really nothing like Jiggs. ROB has very sluggish aerial mobility, most of his aerials are slow coming out, he has projectiles, and he's heavy as hell. Wario is the new Jiggs without a doubt, with all that aerial maneuverability. ROB is more like Peach, since his dsmash is a great GTFO move, he has an item projectile, and he can hover in the air forever.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
when I first started playing Brawl, I figured that ROB was like a combination of Jigglypuff and MR. Game & Watch...but as I got more familiar with ROB, the Peach comparison makes a lot more sense.

Also: wtf @ Kirby eating Super Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze....and then taking Marth's tilts...and then the fatass ate poor Taz...and we all know what happened next :(

Viktormoros

Smash Rookie
when I first started playing Brawl, I figured that ROB was like a combination of Jigglypuff and MR. Game & Watch...but as I got more familiar with ROB, the Peach comparison makes a lot more sense.
Ah, I see what you mean. R.O.B. can float, but doesn't fling out the aerials fast like Jigglypuff. (except for F-air)
Yeah, I played a lot more today and got used to R.O.B.
I think he is going to be my new main along with Wario as my secondary character... Jigglypuff will just be for fun.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I originally played R.O.B. for nostalgic reason, kept playing with him because I liked the way he felt, and stuck with him because he has the most strategic freedom, imo, out of all the other characters in Brawl.

chckn

Smash Ace
I originally played R.O.B. for nostalgic reason, kept playing with him because I liked the way he felt, and stuck with him because he has the most strategic freedom, imo, out of all the other characters in Brawl.
All of this is nice, but the fact that he is a sexy metal beast really is most important.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ROB was the first character I played.

I sat down and all the characters were unlocked on the japanese version at a gamestore we would go to for tournaments now and then. I then said "Holy crap, that's ROB the motha****ing robot" and picked him. I won a free for all with three people.

Haven't dropped him since ^_^

Kegsbane

Smash Rookie
I just started playing Smash games when Brawl came out (flamesuit already on, don't bother) and I bounced around from Kirby to Marth and back, when I picked up ROB on a whim one day. Instantly I was hooked by his comical fighting style and insanely powerful moveset. I've gone from being a complete virgin to somewhere between novice/intermediate, so I'm not saying my opinion is worth much, but he's my favorite character in the game by far. It's gotten to the point where I'll give players who are much better than me so much trouble that they start using ROB themselves! I can't imagine the fear a top-flight player could bring about with ROB.

From watching OS and maXXX's vids, I honestly feel I can get a handle on ROB's game before too long, thanks for the help guys. From a novice's perspective, I think going back and forth from OS to maXXX style is the best, with little middle ground, as it provides the most problems for your opponent to deal with (learned that from Doyle Brunson's anecdote book about poker, but I think it applies to Brawl as well).

As an aside, I actually own the Play N Trade game store in Glen Allen, VA (basically Richmond, VA) and I plan on having a Brawl tournament soon, so I will be leaning on some of you more experienced guys to help me make it as legit as possible. Also, if you can tell me where to best let people know about this tourney, I want a huge turnout, but I don't want to spam the boards with what amounts to advertising, so if someone can let me know what the etiquette is regarding that, I would appreciate it. Just so you know, if the one-store tournament works out, I will try to arrange a regional tourney, so it's important for me to put butts in the seats at the first one so I can get my business partners behind it.

I guess this has turned into an introductory post as much as anything, but add one newbie to the ROB main list. I look forward to learning as much as you guys will reveal about what I believe to be the best character in the game. If you're ever in the Richmond, VA area, stop by, we almost always have Brawl running with a crowd around the TV.

Well, back to lurking. Keep the advice coming guys, I'm soaking it up as fast as I can. This forum is accelerating the learning process for me tenfold.

P.S. I've never met another ROB main in person, nor anyone who even casually plays him, and we have a ton of Brawl players come through the shop on a weekly basis. Again, I am a newbie and tournament virgin so take that for what it's worth. We have tons of Metas, Marths, Spacies, Snakes, Pikas, etc. but no ROBs except for me.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
I mained peach in melee b4 i realized she was higher up on the tier. Then playing rob, i felt right at home as i hate peach in brawl. Now it seems like rob is going to be higher on the tier. I think melee peach is a lot like ROb

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I don't main him, but I'm very serious about adding him to my Roster. he's a very interesting character.

I main Marth so I mainly picked him up to help the Snake matchup, but it's also nice just to have a different character who does cool stuff, and one I can camp with if I'm lazy.

Plus, he raises the roof when he up tilts. How ****ing cool is that?

Top Bottom