• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How many of you actually play this game outside of your house?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I see the excuse "It's portable!!!" to justify the 3DS version thrown around A LOT, and I'm kind of skeptical. I have a 3DS since 2012, and I played it outside of my bedroom twice, maybe three times for like 10 minutes before getting bored the **** out and starting doing something else.
I feel like most of the people saying this are really trying to find a good reason for this game to exist other than "I don't have a WiiU so I couldn't play it!" (which is fair to say the least, mind you). I find it hard to believe that all of you, especially the ones who play it mostly online, use the "portability" factor more than once every three months. I bet that outside of Japan, 80% of the people who bought this game never played it outside of their bedroom.
The only portability I found regarding this game it's when you're on the toilet, really.
So, be sincere, how many of you play this game a lot in the open?
Again, be sincere.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
As someone whose weekly transit includes about 15 hours of public transport, I'd say that about 90% of those hours are spent playing Smash on the go. The portability of the game is incredibly well suited to my routine. :)

...and still, I spend more than that playing it at home. :p

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Lol man, just because YOU don't use a portable console outside your house doesn't mean "It's portable!" is a bad way to justify the 3DS version. I've played it outside my house nearly everyday I've left the house since getting it, whether it's just a quick game on the bus or playing a match with my friend, it's great.

People really don't seem to appreciate that this is SMASH BROS that you can take ANYWHERE, just because you don't utilise that doesn't make it any less impressive.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Honestly?
I'm still in High school, therefore when I have off-periods or we're not doing anything in class I play constantly.
I spend that time playing as different characters trying to find my main.

It's a portable iteration of Nintendo's fighting game celebration. It's fantastic.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I'm a college student so this is helpful when I have nothing to do during vacant classes. Although my transportation hours are only 1 hour per day, or even 30 minutes, I still hang around the campus more often than my house.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Play it a ton at school with a friend, I still think the 3DS version shouldn't exist, though.

Jarb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6167-0433
I've always liked portable systems even if I don't use them outside as much anymore. Being able to play games comfortably in bed and overall not being rooted in one place is a huge plus to me and apparently for others too, considering that portable consoles still sell very well despite being much less powerful than their console counterparts. If you don't care for exclusives or portability, I don't know why you'd even buy a 3DS.

For the record, I've only really played Smash Bros once outdoors since launch, but I appreciated having it. I expect to have a much longer transit time in the next couple of years, so that'll be a lifesaver if I'm still playing it.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
I have a handful of friends who say they always play it.

Personally, I keep an old PSP on my person that has the ability to emulate ancient relics called GBA games. Whenever I find myself waiting for more than 10 minutes I always pull it out. If I ever decide to buy a 3ds and Kerfuffle, I would just replace it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Some friends take their 3DS with Smash to classes almost daily. Perfect for breaks.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have a bus journey to and from college every day (except when I'm off, like now), and each journey is between an hour and an hour and a half, depending on traffic.

Which means there is a guaranteed 2 hours (at the least) where I will play Smash, when I otherwise would be listening to music while dozing off out of boredom/tiredness. And then for the most part, the rest of my day is going to classes, or spending my lunch breaks getting extra work done (outside of actually getting my lunch).

However, even if I am feeling too tired or sick to play Smash on the bus, I still use the awesome Sleep Mode Sound Test feature, to listen to my favourite songs from the game without having to waste memory on my phone by filling it up with such a huge soundtrack.

And if I do happen to have no work to do or a free class due to a tutor's absence, I may play Smash then too.

Then there are more isolated instances where I will play it out of home. I had to take a few trips to the doctor's clinic and the hospital recently, and while I was in the waiting rooms, I would play Smash. And on Saturday, while on the way up to my dad's house, he had to stop at a tiles and baths shop so he could pick up some tiles. However, he had to wait a good while (I think it was at least an hour). So I played Smash while I waited, and continued playing on the way up to the house after that.

And when I first got the game on release, I had to go to the doctor. Played Smash Bros as I waited there. The doctor then told me to go to the pharmacy nearby, to get some prescribed medication. When I got there, I was told I had to wait 5-10 minutes so they could get my order. So I customised Mega Man a bit and played a game of Smash Run. When I finished the game, my stuff was ready. Then, I was feeling peckish since I didn't get a proper chance to eat that day, so I got some chips from Pizza Hut. Had to wait 5 minutes though for them to cook the chips, so I played yet another quick game of Smash Run with the customised Mega Man I had previously made.

The game has definitely been really handy. It's actually been a bit of a life changer. In all honesty, although the Wii U version will be more enjoyable overall, it'll be a lot harder for me to find time for it before summer.

Last edited:

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
Almost every day. When I go to class and it's canceled but I have a class after that I just play smash in my car. Also I don't understand the hate you can play it while your pooping ffs.

drew95gt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1822-0347-0579
I have a good bit of down time at my job...like several hours usually every day...so I play it a fair bit at work. I do play at home too, like if my daughter is watching cartoons and the TV is occupied for example.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I play it only if i'm on a coach or plain.

On Bus: why the hell would i play my 3ds on a bus? Got a mobile phone full of music and i can look at the scenery outside.

At College: Why play my game when i can socialize with my friends? Rather not stick my face in a game while outside my house what am i 8.

Why go outside if im gonna stick my face in a game when i can easily do so at home, when the Wii U comes out i won't touch this version unless there's a power cut or something.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Play it frequently before and after classes at college. Not as frequently as I would of in past semesters since I don't have any back-to-back classes, but still, my friends and I sometimes just sit around and play after Japanese or something.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I play outside of my house during the long trips I make to other places driving with other people. Also, if I were in college (I graduated), I would have taken my 2DS and play in between classes with my friends.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I appreciate the portability, but I personally only play it at home.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Nope. I'm usually the one driving when I go out so there's never a good time for me to whip it out (the 3DS). There are rare occasions where I could but I never have the thing on me at those times.
I can't even take the damm thing to work. They're really paranoid there so I have to go through this approval process to verify that I didn't steal the 3DS. It's really not worth it for the 15 minute break I get.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I see the excuse "It's portable!!!" to justify the 3DS version thrown around A LOT, and I'm kind of skeptical. I have a 3DS since 2012, and I played it outside of my bedroom twice, maybe three times for like 10 minutes before getting bored the **** out and starting doing something else.
I feel like most of the people saying this are really trying to find a good reason for this game to exist other than "I don't have a WiiU so I couldn't play it!" (which is fair to say the least, mind you). I find it hard to believe that all of you, especially the ones who play it mostly online, use the "portability" factor more than once every three months. I bet that outside of Japan, 80% of the people who bought this game never played it outside of their bedroom.
The only portability I found regarding this game it's when you're on the toilet, really.
So, be sincere, how many of you play this game a lot in the open?
Again, be sincere.
Wow, you can't be serious. I'm not gonna hold myself back from sounding rude, but jfc dude. You're really basing this argument (about what others people do) on yourself?

Last edited:

1down

Smash Rookie
I used to be like the OP. My 3DS never really left my bedroom. Mainly because until I got smash, the only games I had are RPGs and when I play those, I usually wanna play them in longer sessions (like 1+ hours) so I can get into the story. So my time wasters on the go were mobile games on my phone (eww I know).

With smash 3DS, its a game I don't mind playing for 10 minutes. Now I have my 3DS on my person pretty much all the time. Theres nothing like playing a few online matches using my phone as a hotspot during lunch at work. Bored at the in-law's house? Guess what I take out. I even played it while waiting for food at a restaurant since my friends were all on their phones. Most recently a friend and I were waiting in line at a grand opening of a store to win free stuff so we were smashin in line.

So yes, I do have my 3DS away from home. But its only because of smash that I do.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I don't bother to bring my 3DS to work (I only have to drive about 20 minutes to get there and my breaks are short), but I usually bring my 3DS with me whenever I go anywhere else so that I have something do whenever I'm sitting down anywhere.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Wow, you can't be serious. I'm not gonna hold myself back from sounding rude, but jfc dude. You're really basing this argument (about what others people do) on yourself?
I asked a question. What does "jfc" mean?
Anyway, I can see there are at least 10 or so people in the world who play it out of their homes.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
So just because you play don't play it outside your house much, you just automatically think that others don't as well? :p
Anyways, I play it at my house and other places as well, so I find the portability great.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I use my 3ds just as I'd use my console. I don't play out in public; I'm not a kid anymore. Not that I played out much back then, either. When I'm out, my attention is on other things.

Seeing as I need WiFi anyways to play online, I just don't see the purpose of Smash "on-the-go". Useless, imo.

RedScizor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0302-0652-2111
I played it at a campground with my friends a couple days ago.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
None of my friends have bought the game, so no, I only play my DS in my room. The screen is so much brighter if I have it plugged in charging, so I'd probably prefer to play it at home. We're not allowed anything like that in school either, so that's a no go. But hey, a lot of people obviously enjoy the portable aspect, so whatever floats your boat.

Aeggoh

Smash Rookie
Seems like the consensus is "it depends." Not everyone has the same gaming environment.

That said, I play Smash on my 3DS like 70% home, and 30% on the go. :p

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
I mostly play at home, but I did bring it on a trip last week to play during down time. I also brought my 3DS to play Pokemon X on the plane ride to Europe a few months ago, and during down time in Europe. 3DS + Smash is great.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I only play within a house (be it my own or a relative's). I don't feel very comfortable with the idea of publicly using my 3DS due to fears that I may be mugged for it, even then, my focus is everywhere elsewhere anyways. (It must be my own living areas too, I don't want to be rude and in my own world when over at a friend's house :p)

So the most I've taken advantage of the portability, is which room I'm playing in. xD

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Lol man, just because YOU don't use a portable console outside your house doesn't mean "It's portable!" is a bad way to justify the 3DS version. I've played it outside my house nearly everyday I've left the house since getting it, whether it's just a quick game on the bus or playing a match with my friend, it's great.

People really don't seem to appreciate that this is SMASH BROS that you can take ANYWHERE, just because you don't utilise that doesn't make it any less impressive.
This. Usually when I play it during break at work or when I'm traveling somewhere important while I'm out the house. The convenience is there. Good luck when life tells you to get out of the house more and not be able to play any home consoles nor PC at all for long periods of time. But speaking of which...

I play it only if i'm on a coach or plain.

On Bus: why the hell would i play my 3ds on a bus? Got a mobile phone full of music and i can look at the scenery outside.

At College: Why play my game when i can socialize with my friends? Rather not stick my face in a game while outside my house what am i 8.

Why go outside if im gonna stick my face in a game when i can easily do so at home, when the Wii U comes out i won't touch this version unless there's a power cut or something.
Yeah, not everyone likes the same old (change on occasion) scenery from the last time I remember and having no friends isn't uncommon around here (not that it's a bad thing but wouldn't blame having some). Besides, sounds like you would be sticking your face in your cellphone more than anything.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
This. Usually when I play it during break at work or when I'm traveling somewhere important while I'm out the house. The convenience is there. Good luck when life tells you to get out of the house more and not be able to play any home consoles nor PC at all for long periods of time. But speaking of which...
OHHHHHH excuuuuuuuuuse me! Some of us have the responsibility of driving y'know. We can't all be playing games willy nilly wherever we go. That's not the kind of world I live in. And usually when life tells you to go outside, it usually means to take a break from video games. Get some air, excercise, socialize.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
OHHHHHH excuuuuuuuuuse me! Some of us have the responsibility of driving y'know. We can't all be playing games willy nilly wherever we go. That's not the kind of world I live in. And usually when life tells you to go outside, it usually means to take a break from video games. Get some air, excercise, socialize.
Well I drive, socialize with my friends, and exercise as well and still have plenty of time to play some Smash on-the-go. And more than likely will have enough time to play Wii U version as well. I'm not going to say everyone can do this but clearly this thread is a potential circle jerk to actually say "this game is not on the home console, thus is bad."

Last edited:

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
I only use it to play with my friends at school if I use it outside of my house. The only other really fun thing to do is For Glory which requires me to have wifi, aka be at my house.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I play during school, when of course, there's free time. Mostly smash-run, because it's only 5 minutes and it helps for customizations.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
lol @ all the overly offended people, I think OP was being pretty tame about questioning how often people play outside home.

I myself don't play it much outside the house, I kind of get bored with single player modes so I prefer the online modes with friends that have the game who I don't/no longer live near. I take the train late at night so pulling out anything other than an MP3 is hell no, so at most I can play it for an hour on my lunch break and I don't feel all that motivated to do so because yeah single player.

As hyped as I was for this version, I do agree with some that the game may as well had been wii-u only (ESSSSSSSSSSSPECIAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY after seeing the Wii-U exclusives.) But a 3DS version isn't a horrible idea and it mostly can be seen as a little something extra on the side and training for the big cheese. Most butthurt you can be about it is ice climbers, but tough luck all 200 people that wanted them.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well I drive, socialize with my friends, and exercise as well and still have plenty of time to play some Smash on-the-go. And more than likely will have enough time to play Wii U version as well. I'm not going to say everyone can do this but clearly this thread is a potential circle jerk to actually say "this game is not on the home console, thus is bad."
It's not bad. I actually really enjoy the game. But it's not perfect and I can't get behind everyone's "portibility" trump card to excuse all of it's shortcomings.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I honestly don't see how people enjoy playing this game offline often, I get bored after 5 minutes it's just too much repetition in the game modes and I'd rather have that repetition playing with friends online. Also I don't know who designed target smash but that's the worst substitution for target test you could ever think of

The wii u version definitely held the 3ds version back, I love all the characters they added but they didn't need to cram it full of characters if the modes and stages were going to take a huge hit. The 3ds is more personal than a console because you can take it any where, and missing all of the modes it does, doesn't help show us that it's better in its own right other than just being portable.

If you think about super Mario 64 ds compared to the 64 version it's not aromatically better because it's portable

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's not bad. I actually really enjoy the game. But it's not perfect and I can't get behind everyone's "portibility" trump card to excuse all of it's shortcomings.
Oh it's beyond from perfect, but for what it is, it's generally a welcome addition for most people's 3DS library. Your "Smash Bros 4" is on the 21st of next month utilizing a much larger beast. Clearly it's going to blow it out of the water in nearly every aspect, which is also not surprising. This is all I'm really seeing from this thread.

Top Bottom