• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootise pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Well a tootise pop is like 0.5 cm, and each lick probably takes a lot less than a millimeter but more than a micrometer, so lets say each lick takes away 10 micrometers. Thats like 0.5 cm/10 um = 500 licks.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Well a tootise pop is like 0.5 cm, and each lick probably takes a lot less than a millimeter but more than a micrometer, so lets say each lick takes away 10 micrometers. Thats like 0.5 cm/10 um = 500 licks.
you forget the amount of saliva from each lick. more saliva=erode it faster.

and 500 is too small.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
you forget the amount of saliva from each lick. more saliva=erode it faster.

and 500 is too small.
I don't think saliva would make it erode much faster. Assuming near 500 licks, if you licked every second, it would take like 10 minutes to eat it without biting it, which seems reasonable.

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
In a small, unobstrusive office hidden beneath Len
This had to be done:

Aha! That is the picture I was looking for a very long time. Kudos for finding it for me!

Anyways, I once counted the licks it took me to get to the center of a Tootsie pop when I was in middle school, and it took me about 400-500 licks to get there just by licking it. I can't remember the exact number of licks though, but I recall it was somewhere in between those numbers, but the real question is why do I still remember that...?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Since tootsie pops are spheres instead of a simple flat surface, your calculations would be wrong.

I think some students at Stanford made an auto-licking machine which counted it at 3000 licks.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
measure the amount of saliva you produce per lick, measure the volume of the Tootsie Pop, find the amount each lick your saliva takes away from the pop, and divide that much by the total volume of the Tootsie Pop.

remember the overall surface area of everyone's tongue IS NOT the same and the
density of the papilla(taste buds) IS NOT the same in every person,
thus resulting in the difference in the number of licks

also, i've seen some tootsie pops range in different sizes. the ones with gum in the middle are much larger then the ones without.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
There are a lot of variables. To keep this Brawl related I will use confirmed characters.

Variable 1: The tootsie pop itself. Some might have more mass to them than others.

Variable 2: The person who is licking it. Some people may lick more furiously than others, while others may not lick as hard. Leads to the next one. I would say a character like DK would lick the thing an awful lot harder then Zelda.

Variable 3: The amount of saliva the person creates. Some people naturally have more than others, meaning it will dissolve slower or faster depending on the person. I figure Bowser would have more saliva than Mario, for example.

Variable 4: What is "getting to the center?" Licking one part until you reach the tootsie roll, or getting ALL of the sugar flavored part off, leaving only the tootsie roll exposed?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
There are a lot of variables. To keep this Brawl related I will use confirmed characters.

Variable 1: The tootsie pop itself. Some might have more mass to them than others.

Variable 2: The person who is licking it. Some people may lick more furiously than others, while others may not lick as hard. Leads to the next one. I would say a character like DK would lick the thing an awful lot harder then Zelda.

Variable 3: The amount of saliva the person creates. Some people naturally have more than others, meaning it will dissolve slower or faster depending on the person. I figure Bowser would have more saliva than Mario, for example.

Variable 4: What is "getting to the center?" Licking one part until you reach the tootsie roll, or getting ALL of the sugar flavored part off, leaving only the tootsie roll exposed?
Yes those are all the points I was trying to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom