• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Many DLC Characters do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It could depend. Are they being sold in like packs like getting a character and stages, or are they separate? If separate, I say about 6 maybe. It depends on if games that are newer then the smash 4 have the ability to get content into it through DLC or not.

If sold in packs, then I couldn't guess. :/

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say zero.
I only predict this because it doesn't seem like a Sakurai thing to do. However, with this Smash Bros., standards have been broken.

This isn't to say I don't want downloadable characters. I'd be happy to pay for characters that weren't able to make it in the game in time, or even ones that were afterthoughts...or even ones that are clearly a greedy, money-grab for Nintendo. I'd buy them all.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I'm expecting a lot of DLC !

...yeah, I'm hoping too much. But most of the characters I want seem to have DLC potential. Toad, Dixie, Krystal, Bandana Dee, and probably others as well. Besides, perhaps they'll use the popularity of DLC content for the next Smash installment ?

But yeah, Nintendo would be foolish not to jump on the occasion to make more money.

As for them not doing DLC right off the bat... Well, I'm not sure if it counts, but what about Mario Golf World Tour ? I bought the DLC pack day 1, and one third of it was already available.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who would like to see more DLC stages than DLC characters? I always felt that stages are just as an important part of what makes Smash what it is as the characters are.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
5 characters at the most. Honestly though I see 1. Snake.

...2 if Mewtwo isn't on the disk roster.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I see maybe six or seven depending on how the final roster plays out. I am however expecting to be horribly disappointed and end up with only the first three here:
  • Mewtwo.
    People will pay through the nose for him, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mewtwo was DLC. Sly business tactics.
  • Roy. Big in Japan, not too unpopular over in the west either. Hopefully decloned though.
  • Possibly Lucas or Wolf/Falco.
    Depending on if any of them are cut.
  • Dixie Kong or K. Rool.
    Whichever isn't on the final roster. Still believe one of them will be.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee.
    Kirby's latest game will probably generate a bit of hype.
  • Inkling.
    Splatoon was revealed far too late to be included in standard Smash, but already appears to be one of the most hyped games at E3.
  • Captain Toad.
    Whilst 3D World was known at the time of Smash creation, Captain Toad's mini missions turned out to be so popular they're getting released as their own game.
I can't see Snake, Ridley or Isaac getting in as DLC though. They're either in as playable at the start, or they're not in. Or possibly retaining their NPC roles in the latter two's case.

Pokemon could have Squirtle, Ivysaur or Sceptile as well. Maybe.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I can't imagine DLC will be used to bring back cut veterans and newcomers. I feel like Nintendo will pick one or the other. But I've made lists for who I think would show up for both:
Veterans:
Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Falco/Wolf

Newcomers:
Chrom
Dixie/K. Rool
Isaac
Shulk
Sal never said his characters won't appear as DLC...

Last edited:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
I can't imagine DLC will be used to bring back cut veterans and newcomers. feel like Nintendo will pick one or the other. But I've made lists for who I think would show up I both:
Veterans:
Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Falco/Wolf

Newcomers:
Chrom
Dixie/K. Rool
Isaac
Shulk
Sal never said his characters won't appear as DLC...
I doubt Chrom and Shulk will be DLC - Chorus Kids would have to be DLC too. Plus I can't see only one more non-DLC newcomer.

Veterans:
Lucas (unless he wasn't cut - then no veterans)

I still think Mewtwo is on the main roster... but if he is DLC, then get rid of Roy. 1 veterans and 7 newcomers would be solid.

1. Lucas
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Krystal
  4. Sceptile
  5. Captain Toad
  6. Inkling (Splatoon!! and it's getting an amiibo)
  7. Impa
  8. Takamaru
Of course, I'm adhering to a 51-54 character main roster.

Gematsu leak + Mewtwo & Lucas + 2 to 5 more newcomers.

The ones I'd want.
  1. Ridley
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Mach Rider
  4. Chibi-Robo
  5. Issac
Of course, I wouldn't mind 47, but 51-54 leaves some excitement in terms of picking who is going to be added. Chorus Men, Shulk and Chrom just don't appeal to me that much... and I can't imagine Sakurai would leave us without a surprise no one saw coming. Plus, Reggie and Iwata hinted the roster is huge (but that could be misdirection... personally with Namco-Bandai helping with development, making a larger roster might not be too difficult).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why would people be against DLC?
I understand not wanting to pay, and potential lag. That is it.
Yet, if there are characters in the main roster (likely) absent who could and easily should be there-- why would you not want DLC?
This is incomprehensible to me. 'Well, we could have K Rool and Mewtwo. But, naw. I'd rather they not be on at all if they are downloadable.'

I think, or hope, tunes will change once the roster is revealed

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one who would like to see more DLC stages than DLC characters? I always felt that stages are just as an important part of what makes Smash what it is as the characters are.
I actually think DLC may focus on exactly that; stages and music and other niceties. I don't think characters will be DLC this time around. Gematsu mentioned DLC, but never specified what. This could also explain the sole discrepancy with 47+Random: the DLC button. It wouldn't exist.

Exciting!

D

Deleted member

I actually think DLC may focus on exactly that; stages and music and other niceties. I don't think characters will be DLC this time around. Gematsu mentioned DLC, but never specified what. This could also explain the sole discrepancy with 47+Random: the DLC button. It wouldn't exist.
If PictoChat isn't main roster, but is DLC on the 3DS version, I'd buy it twice.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Given speculation on the final character select being 47 characters, I'd guess exactly 4 or 8 characters so they can keep to multiples of four with the random button (leaning towards the latter if 3DS ends up with an 8x6 grid). Difficult to say what they might release until we know the final roster but I'd anticipate mostly newcomers with a few notable cut veterans (Lucas, Snake, ???).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

(Lucas, Snake, ???).
Snake will not be DLC. Main roster or bust IMO.
Considering how Smash treats third party characters, why pay licensing only to make the character optional DLC?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I've always liked the idea of Halo map packs, but I like the idea of Smash stage packs even more. Also I'm willing to put money on Sceptile being one of those DLC characters.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure how many there will be, but I would encourage people to not be afraid to ask for your favorite characters as DLC should they not make the initial roster. I can understand the pessimism regarding expectations, but it does not hurt to support characters as DLCs. I also highly doubt it will just be clone newcomers because Sakurai and Namco Bandai are going to want DLCs to sell like hotcakes and what better way to do that then to add characters like Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, etc?

Exciting!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ano-gematsu-leak.353570/page-52#post-16866157

- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy
If the Gematsu leak is entirely correct, this means that we are going to see character DLC happen. Also, before everyone freaks out about the last part, it may be just a person who hates DLC in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Knowing Sakurai, and Nintendo in general, they won't be withholding characters for DLC (which is what most companies do, which is why DLC characters are available as early as mere weeks after the game is launched), which means all primary work on these DLC characters will happen post-Wii U-launch. At that point, most of the staff will have moved on to other projects, limiting the work force available for DLC work.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just explaining how the developmental process works in Nintendo projects so we don't get our hopes up too high. Unless they're investing way more into post-launch production than they ever have before (which is a possibility), we likely won't see our first DLC character until a good two or three months post-launch.
This is actually a good thing as it means we'll get the whole game at launch; not parts of it being deliberately held back as overpriced DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking... Would Konami want to get Snake in there at this point? It's not like Phantom Pain is coming to the WiiU.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure how many there will be, but I would encourage people to not be afraid to ask for your favorite characters as DLC should they not make the initial roster. I can understand the pessimism regarding expectations, but it does not hurt to support characters as DLCs. I also highly doubt it will just be clone newcomers because Sakurai and Namco Bandai are going to want DLCs to sell like hotcakes and what better way to do that then to add characters like Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, etc?http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ano-gematsu-leak.353570/page-52#post-16866157

If the Gematsu leak is entirely correct, this means that we are going to see character DLC happen. Also, before everyone freaks out about the last part, it may be just a person who hates DLC in general.
  1. Mewtwo
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Ridley
  4. Mach Rider
  5. Issac
  6. Sceptile
  7. Krystal
  8. Captain Toad
  9. Inkling
  10. Chibi-Robo
  11. Bandana Dee
  12. Impa
Hype-worthy DLC newcomers... I'd buy a Mewtwo, K. Rool and Ridley DLC pack in a heartbeat. I'm also thinking amiibo might have an impact on DLC. Captain Toad and Inkling would be the best non-clone options (Yarn Yoshi... just no) since they've already got a solid SSB4 fanbase.

I wouldn't mind DLC if it means we're getting extra along with the confirmed roster for the initial release. I don't want Sakurai and the development team cutting the roster down to make some extra bucks. 47+Mii/random=48. 5 to 12 in addition to that would be just about perfect.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Honestly, I seriously doubt we will get downloadable characters, especially now that we have the Mii Fighters, where you can create almost any character you want. I could definitely see them making downloadable stages, music, Assist Trophies, and alternate costumes, however, as those would probably be much easier to do than creating a whole new character, and balancing said character with the rest of the cast. [Shrugs] That being said, I could be wrong.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I seriously doubt we will get downloadable characters, especially now that we have the Mii Fighters, where you can create almost any character you want. I could definitely see them making downloadable stages, music, Assist Trophies, and alternate costumes, however, as those would probably be much easier to do than creating a whole new character, and balancing said character with the rest of the cast. [Shrugs] That being said, I could be wrong.
Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Mach Rider, Dixie Kong, etc... just a few characters that wouldn't work with the three forms of Mii Fighters. No matter the moveset you wouldn't be able to recreate those characters with a Mii.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Because it's Nintendo, I'm not expecting any. That way I won't be disappointed if there aren't any, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if there are. If there are any, I wouldn't expect any more than 3 or 4.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I feel like 6. Three of them would be characters the fans want and the other three would be random.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
5ish for me. I'd say Lucas, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee (if not already playable), Splatoon rep, maybe another star fox rep

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
This thread = :/

Maybe we should wait and see who makes it in the game upon release before we do this?

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that they would release 3 DLC packs with 4 new fighters, 2 alt costumes for disk characters, and 1 new stage. So that would make 12 DLC fighters, 6 alt costumes, and 3 stages. And also, we don't have to worry about space on the screen. I know the WWE games just have a "DLC" box for all the downloadable wrestlers. I assume if they wanted to add more than they could fit on the screen they could easily do that.

So for example, let's say the first pack the release is the Pokemon pack, we would get.

1. Sceptile
2. Squirtle
3. Ivysaur
4. Mewtwo

Pichu costume for Pikachu
Raichu costume for Pikachu?

Mt. Chiminey Stage (Volcano from R/S/E)

Not saying they all have to be themed like that, that was just the easiest for me to make an example of.

Last edited:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that they would release 3 DLC packs with 4 new fighters, 2 alt costumes for disk characters, and 1 new stage. So that would make 12 DLC fighters, 6 alt costumes, and 3 stages. And also, we don't have to worry about space on the screen. I know the WWE games just have a "DLC" box for all the downloadable wrestlers. I assume if they wanted to add more than they could fit on the screen they could easily do that.

So for example, let's say the first pack the release is the Pokemon pack, we would get.

1. Sceptile
2. Squirtle
3. Ivysaur
4. Mewtwo

Pichu costume for Pikachu
Raichu costume for Pikachu?

Mt. Chiminey Stage (Volcano from R/S/E)

Not saying they all have to be themed like that, that was just the easiest for me to make an example of.
^this

Pack 2 could be an amiibo/DK based one -
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Inkling
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
Toadsworth costume for Captain Toad
Another costume?

Splatoon stage

Pack 3 could be sci-fi based -
  1. Krystal
  2. Ridley
  3. Mach Rider
  4. Chibi-Robo
Meta Ridley costume for Ridley
Excitebiker costume for Mach Rider

Chibi-Robo stage

I'd also say an AT/Pokeball with each one might be a good idea as well.

D

Deleted member

1. Mewtwo
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Ridley
  4. Mach Rider
  5. Issac
  6. Sceptile
  7. Krystal
  8. Captain Toad
  9. Inkling
  10. Chibi-Robo
  11. Bandana Dee
  12. Impa
Hype-worthy DLC newcomers... I'd buy a Mewtwo, K. Rool and Ridley DLC pack in a heartbeat. I'm also thinking amiibo might have an impact on DLC. Captain Toad and Inkling would be the best non-clone options (Yarn Yoshi... just no) since they've already got a solid SSB4 fanbase.

I wouldn't mind DLC if it means we're getting extra along with the confirmed roster for the initial release. I don't want Sakurai and the development team cutting the roster down to make some extra bucks. 47+Mii/random=48. 5 to 12 in addition to that would be just about perfect.
Just add Lucas on there and I would be in heaven. Also I wouldn't worry about them deliberately holding back contents to sell as overpriced DLC. There hasn't been a single case where Nintendo has screwed over gamers in regards to DLC and I don't see why they'd do this with Smash. It's going to compliment the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmm... Here's who I see as potential DLC for each Series. Only rule, they've to not appeared as anything higher than an assist trophy. If they appeared as a normal trophy they can slip past.

Any missing Brawl Veterans
Mario Series: Captain Toad, Bowser Jr
Legend of Zelda: ???, Impa?
Pokemon: Mewtwo, Sceptile,
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, King K Rool
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Metroid: None (Ridley is either playable or a boss)
Yoshi: None (Debu my foot)

Earthbound: None
F-Zero: Black Shadow (if Ganon's original moveset is dropped)

Retro Nintendo: Takamaru,
Fire Emblem: Anna, Roy

Wario: None
Kid Icarus: Medusa, Hades
Pikmin: Any of the other captains

New Series: Wonder Red, Inkling (Splatoon)

My top 5 from that are Mewtwo, Bandanna Dee, Takamaru, Dixie and a newer character.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm speculating that the amiibo figurines will be DLC for SSB4 and you can only get those particular characters by buying the figurine associated with the character. Seems like a smart way to sell amiibos.
PLEASE DON'T GIVE NINTENDO ANY IDEAS!!!!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
2 - 4

I think Snake and Lucas have a good chance at taking up two of those slots as well. Besides them, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Dixie, and King K Rool really stand out as possible choices.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Since I'm guessing a 50 character roster overall, I'm gonna guess 5 DLC characters for an even 55
Firstly, If we're talking veterans that might've gotten cut:
:lucas::mewtwopm::roypm::squirtle::ivysaur: should come back as DLC if they couldn't make it back

BUT if we're talking newcomers, then (to satisfy fans overall, not just my interests and to represent Nintendo's more important series):
1) King K. Rool
2) Ridley (if possible :troll:)
3) Isaac
4) Chibi-Robo
5) Paper Mario

These guys make the most sense in my opinion

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I can see about 5 or 6 DLCs max of 3 that would add playable characters and if we are luck 1 or 2 could have new modes and all of them may include more trophies, assist trophies, stages, and some other minor stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom