• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Many DLC Characters do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
DLC has been heavily rumored for SSB4. But the one glaring question is - just how many can we expect? Part of the problem is that we can't confirm exactly how many will be on the initial roster. 46-52 is the range everyone is predicting... and I'm inclined to agree especially since the game has been delayed by roughly 3 months. Clearly Nintendo wants this to be a big seller for the Wii U so more development time makes sense.

How many characters could possibly fit into the 3DS version, though? The Wii U could probably handle 60+ characters including DLC, but the 3DS doesn't have as much memory space.

I'm speculating that the amiibo figurines will be DLC for SSB4 and you can only get those particular characters by buying the figurine associated with the character. Seems like a smart way to sell amiibos.

Any cut veterans from Brawl seem like a given for DLC except Snake. I'm not sure if he's coming back... he provides a unique moveset and he's enjoyable to play, so I'd like to see him return, but 3 3rd parties is pushing it in a Nintendo All-Stars game without Ridley, King K. Rool, etc.

I'm predicting 9 at a minimum (Cut Brawl vets and amiibo figures) and 14 at a maximum (Cut Brawl vets, amiibo figures, Roy, 4 newcomers unrelated to amiibos but with new games coming out - Krystal, Sceptile, Dixie Kong, and one unrepresented franchise)

What do you guys think?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think it's too early to make any real guesses. They could focus on cut characters that didn't make the initial roster/have been absent since Melee, or bring in new characters from IPs that came about after Smash 4's development (like Splatoon) or both camps.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Depends on how long they take to develop. I expect Smash to get support at least a year ahead of its release date, I'm not sure how much they'd be able to make in that time span. I'm mostly expecting it to be cut veterans though, maybe 2-3 newcomers at most.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm not expecting much, to be honest. We'll probably get back cut veterans like Squirtle and Ivysaur, and maybe those who were removed back in Brawl if they didn't make it in. If we get any newcomers, I think they'll be luigified clones of existing characters.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I think 5 is the absolute max we will get. Nintendo has always been a bit shaky on DLC.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How many characters could possibly fit into the 3DS version, though? The Wii U could probably handle 60+ characters including DLC, but the 3DS doesn't have as much memory space.
I honestly don't think memory or storage is an issue with the 3DS. The DLC would simply load from the SD card, which is very cheap to upgrade for anyone, and added characters wouldn't do anything to its use of RAM.

Anyway, to your point, I highly doubt they'll add more than four or so. Two veterans and two newcomers. Nintendo hasn't ever really pursued the idea of post-launch support in the past; this is new territory for them. Judging by their usual M.O. and how many resources would be needed to even create additional characters, my prediction would be four or less.

At the same time, I can see them adding costumes post-launch, as that is far easier to do. Fans of those costumes would just eat those up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
5 tops.

If every character costs 5-8 monies it's gonna add up. I'd prefer if there was like a pack of 3 characters and a stage for 15 or something.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Quite simple

All of the veterans that did not make the cut and are not closer to alternate costume will be the dlc characters.

Sakurai said it him self as little cuts as possible, i think thats why he delayed the 3ds version till fall in the first place.

Last edited:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't think memory or storage is an issue with the 3DS. The DLC would simply load from the SD card, which is very cheap to upgrade for anyone, and added characters wouldn't do anything to its use of RAM.

Anyway, to your point, I highly doubt they'll add more than four or so. Two veterans and two newcomers. Nintendo hasn't ever really pursued the idea of post-launch support in the past; this is new territory for them. Judging by their usual M.O. and how many resources would be needed to even create additional characters, my prediction would be four or less.

At the same time, I can see them adding costumes post-launch, as that is far easier to do. Fans of those costumes would just eat those up.
Well considering the game has been delayed a couple months, it's obvious that they're still working on a few characters, working out the kinks, etc. the Wii U version isn't likely to come out until around Black Friday. That gives them almost two months in between the two. Enough time to finish making a few cut/planned characters (2 or 3, since they've already been developing them but just couldn't finish by October). You could sell them in packs (3 characters per pack - Lucas, Ivysaur and Squirtle likely as the first one).

Not to mention Nintendo wants to sell amiibos... so making them DLC for SSB4 by buying associated characters figurine would be a great way to get them off the shelfs.

I'd also say some clones/semi-clones would be easy to add (Roy, Pichu, Paper Mario, etc)

They could also time new DLC with a new game release. Krystal could be DLC once the new Star Fox game releases. Sceptile could be released alongside the Hoenn remakes. Dixie Kong whenever they make the next DK game, Bandana Dee whenever the next Kirby is released, etc.

I'm not expecting tons of characters (I'd say 14 is the absolute maximum for DLC), but the leak seems to give credability to the idea that Nintendo might do more DLC than we think.

1. Lucas
  2. Ivysaur
  3. Squirtle
  4. Snake
  5. Roy
  6. Pichu
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Another amiibo based newcomer
  9. Krystal
  10. Sceptile
  11. Dixie Kong
  12. Bandana Dee
  13. New franchise rep (Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, etc)
Nothing too extensive, but enough that they could be sprinkled over 2015. New costumes, stages, and music could be scattered throughout the year as well.

Those characters are achievable by November/December 2015 (a year's worth of DLC)

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Just enough to get the last 2 characters off my wishlist since brawl. about 4-5.

inb4 they only do melee veterans or cut characters... which would be a bummer. but i'd still get it

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well considering the game has been delayed a couple months, it's obvious that they're still working on a few characters, working out the kinks, etc. the Wii U version isn't likely to come out until around Black Friday. That gives them almost two months in between the two. Enough time to finish making a few cut/planned characters (2 or 3, since they've already been developing them but just couldn't finish by October). You could sell them in packs (3 characters per pack - Lucas, Ivysaur and Squirtle likely as the first one).
I just wanted to quote this part. I think you're unaware of how character creation and balance works. At this stage of the game's developmental process, no new characters are going to be added. They're fine tuning all of the minutia of the game, assuring that there aren't any unintended glitches, infinites, unbalanced attributes, etc. Whatever the roster is right now, that's going to be the roster when the game releases. And Sakurai has already stated at his E3 roundtable interview that the reason for the staggered release dates is that their focus in QA is the 3DS until it goes gold, then they'll do the same for the Wii U version.

Knowing Sakurai, and Nintendo in general, they won't be withholding characters for DLC (which is what most companies do, which is why DLC characters are available as early as mere weeks after the game is launched), which means all primary work on these DLC characters will happen post-Wii U-launch. At that point, most of the staff will have moved on to other projects, limiting the work force available for DLC work.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just explaining how the developmental process works in Nintendo projects so we don't get our hopes up too high. Unless they're investing way more into post-launch production than they ever have before (which is a possibility), we likely won't see our first DLC character until a good two or three months post-launch.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm willing to bet we could see about 6-8. If the roster really was decided nearly two years ago, there would be a lot of time for characters to become relevant that weren't when the roster was finalized, and a chance to add characters that were on the bubble but didn't make the cut. If Sakurai really did make all of Greninja's animations, singlehandedly, in one night, then even at a more reasonable pace an entire team could probably make an entire character from scratch in a week or slightly less. Maybe they'd start working as soon as post-production.

I also think most of them would be newcomers, for the same reasons. We could see a veteran or two come back, but considering every character that missed Brawl besides Mewtwo was a clone, what would they bring to the table other than nostalgia? New characters come with new potential.

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I'd prefer not to see any honestly. I'd rather have the characters saved for SSB5.

If we did have to get some form of DLC, I'd only want it to be cut characters (Roy, Pichu, Mewtwo, Lucas...)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll go with the lucky number 7 for DLC since Nintendo is really obsessed with that number in most of their titles.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I predict anywhere from 5-10.

My prediction list:
Lucas
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Roy
Mewtwo (Assuming he does not return)
Sceptile
Krystal
Toad
Dark Pit
Bandanna Dee

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
5 tops.

If every character costs 5-8 monies it's gonna add up. I'd prefer if there was like a pack of 3 characters and a stage for 15 or something.
Nintendo's first attempt at planned DLC should give you hope then. Mario Golf on 3DS had three DLC packs announced: each with two new courses and a character. If you just wanted a specific pack, $5.99. If you wanted it all, you could pay $15 and get everything, plus an additonal character added in.

I'm not a big fan of DLC being announced prior to a game's release, but overall I think Nintendo's offer was reasonable.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Quite simple

All of the veterans that did not make the cut and are not closer to alternate costume will be the dlc characters.

Sakurai said it him self as little cuts as possible, i think thats why he delayed the 3ds version till fall in the first place.
This! I fully expect it to be cut veterans and if we are lucky time constraints newcomers like 1 or 2

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's hard to say....

Personally I'm expecting somewhere in the region of 6-12. (With 12 being the absolute maximum)

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS can handle all the content (memory wise) that Brawl had, of what most were cut scenes

I don't think the character space is gonna be a problem

My prediction list:
Lucas
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Roy
Sceptile
Krystal
Toad
Dark Pit
Bandanna Dee
That list is rather disappointing
I thought you were supposed to WANT to pay for the DLC :awesome:

I mean, they're fun characters, but I don't see myself wanting to play with any of those except for Mewtwo and possibly Dark Pit

Edit: I think I misunderstood the function of DLC xD

Last edited:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Depends on how long they take to develop. I expect Smash to get support at least a year ahead of its release date, I'm not sure how much they'd be able to make in that time span. I'm mostly expecting it to be cut veterans though, maybe 2-3 newcomers at most.
I'd estimate about 10-20% of the initial roster.
Sounds reasonable! wouldn't mind 2-3 though if there's 51 from the start (the Leak, 4 initial cuts, plus Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley and a Retro newcomer)

My prediction list:
Lucas
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Roy
Sceptile
Krystal
Toad
Dark Pit
Bandanna Dee
Nice prediction list! I'd add a new franchise rep somewhere (Issac or Chibi-Robo maybe?). Also, Captain Toad might be more likely since he's getting an amiibo figure.

My new list of DLC candidates (Ivysaur and Squirtle could be an awkward fit if Greninja and Sceptile are in the game)
  1. Lucas
  2. Snake
  3. Roy
  4. Pichu
  5. Sceptile
  6. Bandana Dee
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Paper Mario
  9. Krystal
  10. Impa
  11. Dixie Kong
  12. Issac
  13. Takamaru
  14. Chibi-Robo
  15. Dark Pit

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
4 characters. Not including cut veterans (because I don't think they will be released as DLC or so I hope).

I can't say who I expect those characters to before knowing the full roster of the game.

Wonder Red and Inkling please.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Rockband DLC must make your head spin eh?
Only plastic instrument game I ever bought was Donkey Konga and that was enough for me? What was the DLC of those games like?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Trying to answer this without knowing the final roster count seems silly.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Hmm. Well they'll probably try to bring back the characters they cut, and the characters that were started during development but weren't able to be finished.

Then they'll probably move on to the rest of the pokemon,mario enemies, cars from fzero, and then the digimon, and probably the cast of dragon ball after that.

Not sure where they'll go from there, but the final dlc character will probably be shrek

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
One thing we should all keep in mind and look out for is all news on a character getting a Amiibo because Sakurai said all playable characters will get one.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm expecting to see 3 at most with the feeling at least one will be a total throwaway. Maybe if enough money gets thrown at these people in the form of initially strong DLC sales, they'll add an extra character or two, but that might mean supporting Pichu or Dr. Mario in the interim, which is something I can't stomach.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And when we get the game look out for characters oddly missing like Diddy Kong not having even a trophy in Smash Bros Melee.

D

Deleted member

I don't really want DLC. I don't know why, but I just don't want DLC characters. Stages I am perfectly okay with, but something about DLC characters... I dunno. I'd certainly buy them, but...
So I guess you could say I hope for zero.

Trying to answer this without knowing the final roster count seems silly.
I like you. Speculating DLC before release seems like a really dumb idea. We don't even have a finished game out yet, and some people are already speculating post release content. It just feels greedy.

Completely unrelated, but anyone who expects Snake as DLC in some form should prepare to be disappointed. He'll either be main roster, or not in the game at all. With the way third party characters are treated in Smash, why would they go out of their way to pay licencing and crap only to make him optional DLC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't really want DLC. I don't know why, but I just don't want DLC characters. Stages I am perfectly okay with, but something about DLC characters... I dunno. I'd certainly buy them, but...
So I guess you could say I hope for zero.
Same, something about it I just don't like, but I'd still probably buy them. (Maybe that's it, I'm cheap)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I do hope we get a couple dlc characters

In fact I think I'll make a support thread for some of my less than likely choices

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Only plastic instrument game I ever bought was Donkey Konga and that was enough for me? What was the DLC of those games like?
4,500 songs at $2 a piece for majority of them, released every week for almost 5 years. (From November 21st 2007 to April 1st 2013.) You want to talk about DLC adding up, there are countless people who have 1k songs and more.

Smash DLC doesn't have to be anywhere near that amount but they can still release 3 characters every 6 months and people would love it. $10 for 3 characters would be my ideal price, its perfectly reasonable while still covering the costs of going back to make more characters.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping they come in packs of 4-5 and 2 or 3 separate releases. Heres what I think the first one would be
1. Bowser Jr.- unlikley to start due to rosalina
2. Krystal- when more news of the new star fox she will be too.
3. Sceptile- Starting grass
4.Mewtwo- I guarantee he will be save for DLC because everyone would buy.
Also something that I would like would be to return all cut characters in one DLC excluding snake, with minor moveset changes.
1. Lucas
2. Roy
3.PT plus one more older pokemon
4.Dr. Mario
5.Young Link
6.Pichu
Sorry if I'm missing anyone and thats assuming Lucas is cut.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to make a guess when we don't even know the full roster, but I expect 2-5 characters tops.

I doubt there will be much character DLC, if any. Sakurai seems hesitant about doing it and I'm sure the developers want to save newcomers for the Smash 5 and would rather not use them all on DLC for Smash 4. Also, nintendo have much of a history with DLC in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom