• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Many Characters Will Satisfy You???

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
Based on how much development time Brawl got, there's no good reason to have less than 40. I suppose I could live with 35, but anything below that is just a disappointment. Though regardless of how many characters we get, I'm sure Brawl will still live up to my expectations. Still, it would be a let down if we got less than 35.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
30-40.

30 can satisfy me since there were only 19 (not counting transformations) original characters in Melee. XD

Although, at the same time it would be a little disappointing. Anything over 40 sounds overkill, unless the programmers knows how to make a good balanced roster with THAT many characters, but this is my personal opinion. If they manage to make a good roster with over 40 characters then I'm more than satisfied.

M.K

Level 55
At least 38, that's my minimum EPIC rating.

At least 35, for my THIS WILL BE COOL rating

Below that will be dissapointing

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
If the PRESIDENT OF NINTENDO says the delay was mainly for increasing the roster size, you know we are getting a roster way bigger then Melee, and more character additions then from SSB64 to Melee (14). We've got 11 newcomers so far. Ya, there are probably AT LEAST 5 more newcomers to go. I expect 42 or 43 characters total. If I get more, I will be SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED! If I get less, I will be depressed. Cutting 4 or 5 characters +21 or 22 veterans + 20 to 22 newcomers = PWNAGE!
Don't get your hopes up. That was just a blanket statement to make people feel better about the delay, just like when Bungie said they were delaying Halo 3 to add a "new gameplay mechanic". Except less, that way, you'll be surprised and happy, rather than disappointed and angry.

EPX2

Smash Ace
40, with 42 as an exact prediction. I definitely wouldn't expect a roster lower than the high 30s (that's just being extremely pessimistic)/low 40s (that's just expecting too much).

Pieman0920

Smash Master
There's not really a quantity mark for me. Afterr Ridley I'm set. Falcon and Ganondorf I'd want, and are expected, but it wouldn't bother me that much if they were not in. Same goes for other likely characters. While there are others I would activly want, the game is good enough already for me, that I just need Ridley for this to be teh game of forever. :O

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
well, with Captain Falcon, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Jiggly, Mewtwo, G&W, Marth, Ganondorf, Ness, Falco, Roy, Young Link and Pichu (meaning all unconfirmed vets lol) all returning, we would already have 36 characters.

People in general believe Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario and probably Ness and Falco aren't returning (with Young Link getting replaced by WW Link or getting cut too). This will lower the number to 30-33 characters

If the final number is 35, it will be a disappointment to have that few new newcomers.

Pumako

Smash Cadet
Its not possible but what if every nintendo character was in the game!?!?!?!?!:laugh::dizzy::psycho::laugh::dizzy::psycho:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
36ish is what I expect. Anything more and I'll be elated. Anything at 30 or dangerously close to it is disappointing.

I'm sorry. I like the newcomers revealed thus far, but if the final roster is 30 and they didn't cut nearly everybody from Melee? There's like... no more surprises. The absolute lamest conclusion.

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
Well.. i am hoping for a solid 40. considering they cut Roy, Pichu, The Doc, and Maybe Falco and add a bunch of newcomers. I'm hoping for Knuckles (Unlikely), Megaman, and Marth.

00Elf

Smash Journeyman
It would take a lot, and I mean a LOT of characters to thouroughly satisfy me...

I want to be bukakked with the things.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I think the absolute minimum cast should be 38 (not including ZSS/Shiek/IvyandCharizard). As having a lower cast increase than the 64 to Melee would suck. I'm hoping for a 45-50 as an outside edge of likely.

Skeppio

Smash Apprentice
I'd say 42. It would allow for plenty of characters, the character selection screen would then have a 6 by 7 grid, and it would make for a neat Douglas Adams reference.
Come to think of it, anywhere between 40 and 50 would make me a happy brawler.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I will be satisfied with 151 characters and all of them must be first generation pokemon. If this does not happen I will consider the roster epic failure.

vato_break

Smash Master
I am happy with the ones we have, and as long as Olimar, Ridley, Krystal, K. Rool, and Geno are in the game too, Im happy with that many.

But I think 34-38 is the most logical number, and that would still make me happy as long as the above characters are on that list.
i thought you were agianst geno
whatever

True Fool

Smash Ace
38-40ish. I might be happy with a smaller number if they didn't show us so many dang newcomers.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
40-45, I say. Give me a ton! I don't want them to miss a single worthy character.
We already missed Ness. >_> Still, this is too true.

Don't get your hopes up. That was just a blanket statement to make people feel better about the delay, just like when Bungie said they were delaying Halo 3 to add a "new gameplay mechanic". Except less, that way, you'll be surprised and happy, rather than disappointed and angry.
Bungie always givees disappointment. And there was a ton of new stuff. But that's Bungie Microsoft, this is Sakurai and Nintendo.

We have stage builder, classic mode, the Subspace Emissary, co-op Subspace Emissary, boss fights, trophies, stickers, trophy launcher, target test, co-op target test, home-run contest, co-op home-run contest, online home-run contest, event matches, co-op event matches, stickers, assist trophies, trophies, and so on. Besides, Satoura Iwata (aka the President of Nintendo himself) started off working for Sakurai, was the person who convinced Sakurai to make Brawl (along with Ejji Anouma a couple of days earlier), and has been personally overlooking Sakurai and Brawl.

Also, over a dozen companies are working on this game. Sora, HAL, and "the Studio" are working almost exclusively on Brawl. Nintendo, Monster, Game Freak, the Pokémon Company, APE, Shigesato Itoi Studios, Cero (how Ejji Anouma is working with Brawl=with his company), Koonami Studios, Kojima Production Studios, SEGA, the Sonic Team, and possibly more. That's 14 right there-plus I have a feeling Retro Studios is contributing, along with Shiegru Miyamoto's team from Super Mario Galaxy(hint: Rosalena or whatever is a assist trophy; FLUDD and Delfino Plaza look exactly the same). Point is, we're getting 40 plus playable characters. We'll probably get over a thousand thanks to stickers, trophies, boss battles, assist trophies, all the 497 Pokémon (playable, bosses, Pokéball Pokémon, and Pokémon that make random apeparances, like the crowd in Pokémon Stadium 2=they are ALL Pokémon).

If getting all that isn't a signal we're getting 40 on up characters, I don't know what is. 14 companies are working on this game; 3 almost exclusively on this game, if not exclusively. 36 "original" composers plus a few more. And maybe more thanks to 3rd party support and potentially more 3rd party characters.

We've gotten 11 newcomers-that is 3 less then we got from smash 64 Melee. Melee's origianl commercials said "over 20 playable characters" about 4-8 months before it's release. Ya, we got 26...why wouldn't they say "over 25 playable characters"=??? With Brawl, around 20-22 veterans will return. We got 12 so far. We're missing 8 at most, and that is if Sakurai is cut happy, and he isn't *points at the Ice Climbers*. Plus we're going to get more newcomers then in Melee-guarenteed.

All in all, a large playable roster is ALL that will please the fans. That is the TOP PRIORIETY behind only basic pysics and a balanced roster and game0. Assist Trophies, Stickers, Trophies, Story, One-player Mode, Online, Pokéball Pokémon, Music, Createable Stages, NPCs, Cameo Appearances, Co-op modes, Group Brawl, Tournament Mode, items, stages, etc. all AREN'T EVEN A PRIORIETY NEXT TO ROSTER SIZE! Sakurai shocked us with 26 characters in Melee-we were expecting around 20 or 21. With Brawl, for some odd reason everyone STILL EXPECTS MELEE 2.0, and just 9 more characters. I'm not buying Melee 2.0, I'm buying f***ing Brawl-it's hardly even a sequal-it's more of a original game. Just like Melee and smash 64 were.

We're getting more then we could have ever imagined with Melee, and we're getting it soon. Prepare to Brawl folks, as it is upon us. If this is "suppose" to be the last game a man works with his 3 favorite characters he made and the series that he made that was suppose to be Class-D Japan-only "average" game, and became a miracle AAA class hit around the world, then he sure as hell work hard on it-with all those 14 companies. He's been working on it since May 10th, 2005-and it's January. Brawl could or could not have gone gold yet, but alas, it's upon us. He's spent more timeon Brawl then Melee thus far (he spent around two years on it with probably not even half the staff; probably half of that with Smash 64, with half the time), which is 32 months, or 2 years and 8 months. That is one heck of a long time for one game. It's goint to blow us out of the water harder then Melee, and it is going to go beyond our expectations. I'm just one of the few who probably knows how far into our expectations it will go.

In short-this game is being made like the last game of Sakurai's life. He's getting help from gaming giants like Satoura Iwata, Shiegru Miyamoto, Kojima, Ejji Anouma, and so on. This is probably going to be the biggest game of this age of gaming. This is a hit or miss game, and it's not missing-not by a long shot. It will be a AAA-class game's AAA-class game. It will top all before it, and shall be played until the end of time. This is smash brothers people, and prepare, as Brawl is upon us. All I can say is-Prepare To Brawl 2008 AND BEYOND! Us true smashers (smashers who enjoy all smash series games, and will never stop playing them, regardless of skill level, who we use, or how we play) shall play Brawl, and keep on Brawling. If Brawl isn't going to be a LEGENDARY GAME, I don't know what ever will. It's got "Best Game of the Age" written ALLLLLL OVER IT! Therefore, our expectations should be high-as the higher they are (within reason), we'll be more satified when we find out we're right. :)

Top Bottom