• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters do you want, and how many do you think will be in?

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I agree. Regardless of time constraints, they had trouble thinking up the SSBM roster. Even now with an engine that won't allow for frame collision and movement errors (Pit and Meta Knight's wings for example), it's going to be hard to come up with 35 radically different characters. Even back in SSB64, the only similar characters were Mario and Luigi. Since then characters have only gotten further and further apart. I much rather have 30 completely original characters then 50 similar characters with poor balance.

Regardless, the Nintendo family has grown a good bit since Melee. None of the Wario Ware characters existed, and neither did Krystal. As far as having poor balance, I think we're underestimating their abilities a little. This team is, I am guessing, much larger than the one that worked on Melee. They're also working on it for more than twice the time of Melee. I'd have to strongly disagree that it would be so hard to come up with 35 radically different characters, I mean, just look at the character wishlist that Sakurai had. I think you could get into the high 40s without that becoming a problem.

Frogla

Smash Ace
Regardless, the Nintendo family has grown a good bit since Melee. None of the Wario Ware characters existed, and neither did Krystal. As far as having poor balance, I think we're underestimating their abilities a little. This team is, I am guessing, much larger than the one that worked on Melee. They're also working on it for more than twice the time of Melee. I'd have to strongly disagree that it would be so hard to come up with 35 radically different characters, I mean, just look at the character wishlist that Sakurai had. I think you could get into the high 40s without that becoming a problem.
dont forget about Pikmin, Custom Robo, Stafi and Pokemon have all rose to brawlness.
Im expecting 40ish. But i really want Lucario in
Mario people will take up about 10 spots (including all his spin offs)
Zelda and pokemon will take up about 10
Fox, Samus, Mother and Kirby will take up another 10
So we got 10 to play with for retros, fire emblem and new series

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I would like around 30-40 characters.

Though we already have more characters with original move sets in Brawl than Melee already.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
The more I think about it, the more I feel like Sakurai will come out and surprise us all with 50 characters. This Brawl team has more of EVERYTHING than the Melee team did...they had a lot more time, and ALREADY had the Melee work to build from, literally. Meaning that all the characters in Melee were pretty much "set" for Brawl, aside from little touch ups here and there of course.

It's not only the fact that the Melee team had to create 14 new characters in the span of a year (supposedly), but they couldn't use the SSB original engine in the first place. So they had to start off brand new. And STILL managed to fit 26 characters in there...although 19 of them were truly original.

So if Melee really DID only have one year to work and Brawl has had over two years then...they should at least be able to double the total. Seriously.

Aaaaaaaand finally, my final points...the characters themselves.

Right now, we know of 23 characters. I think a lot of people fail to realize this.

WE ALREADY HAVE ALMOST AS MANY CHARACTERS ANNOUNCED FOR BRAWL AS THERE ARE IN MELEE.

I really think this is just the tip of the iceberg. And that isn't even counting Melee vets that are sure to return...discounting all clones (including Falco >.>) other than Ganondorf, who has already been "announced", we have 31 characters on our Brawl roster.

The eight I'm referring to are Luigi, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, (the original four hiddens), Ganondorf, Marth, Mewtwo, and Game & Watch.

You can infer G&W is in the game due to the whole icon links thing on Dojo.

Apparently, this is the icon of his little G&W series.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_13.gif
The reason people infer this is because it is the only icon that hasn't been revealed yet that isn't after the last icon...and it's squished between the Fire Emblem and Ice Climber icons. Which means that it must be a veteran icon...and G&W is the only one left. Makes sense.

Most people agree that Marth will return. Screw Ike, he plays completely differently. In addition, I think there is a Fire Emblem remake that features Marth, so he is still relevant in Nintendo-lore.

Mewtwo...well, there really isn't much to back him up. But I'm confident he'll return if G&W will. :laugh: He is unique and totally badass. And if the development team can make Bowser awesome in Brawl, then I'm sure they could shore Mewtwo up...and he is THE greatest (Pokemon) villain in the Poke-universe, even after all these years. Mewtwo could play an interesting role in the Emissary...;)

Yeah, those are my points. So assuming all non-clone vets will return from Melee (which I'm quite sure of), we know of 31 characters in Brawl already. And to think that there are only 5 or 10 characters left to unveil is RIDICULOUS. I'd say 15-20....putting the total at 45-50. :D

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm personally hoping 47-53 characters. How many are likely, I don't know.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
When this game first came out, I envisioned a ridiculously large roster with 64 characters. Some of these characters have already been un-confirmed (Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Little Mac, Deoxys), and I now envision about 48 excluding transformations. This would just be allof the characters that I want to see, and the four lamer clones eliminated (Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, Young Link). We already have 23 characters confirmed, 11 of which are new, and I highly doubt that Sakurai will announce every character on Dojo. Considering the larger developement team, the longer developement time, and the fact that there are over 30 people working on just music in this game, I'd say 48 is realistic. And look, I'd rather have original characters than clone, but I'd rather have clones than Assist Trophies, or not seeing a character at all. Anything below 40 would probably dissapoint me.

axi0n

Smash Apprentice
I would be happy with 40. I'm expecting 35-40 excluding transformations.

Top Bottom