• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters do you want, and how many do you think will be in?

sdhonda

Smash Cadet
Me? Id prefer in the high thirties, but it will probably be around 32ish

You?

Iris

Smash Ace
40-50 would be great. As long as there's significantly more than Melee.

Hong

The Strongest
I originally came up with 35, but I think Mr. Game & Watch will return so 36.

gtkdltk007

Smash Apprentice
Preidction of actual combatants - 42
Wanted number of combatants - 56 (and I can make a great list of those 56 too)

God Link

Smash Cadet
For me mid 40's to low 50's. I know it sounds like were asking for too much but Melee was in a developing process for only 9- 10 months rushed and still had double the amount of characters it did in SSB64.

This has been a good 2 and a half years developing process with a huge team thats composed over 100+ people and reps from Nintendo such as Shigeru Miyamoto actually helping on the game, legends in music such as Koji Kondo and a delay to add to it.

There has to be plenty of popular characters, characters like Kyrstal, Ridley, King Dedede, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., Wolf O Donnel, Geno, etc

There should be more than in the 30's. 32 would be quite disapointing. Melee (10 months)= 26 (including Sheik) while Brawl already has announced a lot of Newcomers, has been in development for 2 and a half years with an add on due to delay and still only have 10 more characters. It would feel empty even if some characters are being replaced/removed, etc.

So yea 40's-50's. Thats not asking for too much considering they have a lot of time, people, and resoures.

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
I would say 21 Vets Slots and 15-20 New Comers slots would be ideal. Realisticly I think 35 is an acceptable number of slots and 37-39 characters based on transformations.

Hong

The Strongest
Only if they are balanced and de-cloned.

I still think some of you guys are crazy.
I agree. Regardless of time constraints, they had trouble thinking up the SSBM roster. Even now with an engine that won't allow for frame collision and movement errors (Pit and Meta Knight's wings for example), it's going to be hard to come up with 35 radically different characters. Even back in SSB64, the only similar characters were Mario and Luigi. Since then characters have only gotten further and further apart. I much rather have 30 completely original characters then 50 similar characters with poor balance.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
There was a pretty decent jump in roster size from 64 to Melee so I don't see why a roster of 40-50 seems unreasonable, seems about right if you ask me.

SiD

Smash Master
I have no idea how many will get in. Obviously, I want in as many as possible, but not so many that balancing becomes impossible.

Mama

Smash Ace
I agree with SiD. As many as possible. I'd like at least 44 characters anything above that would be nice. Although 64 characters would be the funniest/greatest roster number evar for a Ninty game.

Melee = 26 characters and after 6 years you sort of get tired of those same faces/options. 18 more characters seems both plausible and very nice. Although better balancing would also solve my issue of not enough interesting characters.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
On top of the already announced characters, characters i would like to be included that have not yet been officially announced on the Dojo (regardless of how likely some of them are) are:

Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Jigglypuff
Mr. G&W
Falco
Ganondorf
Krystal
King K. Rool
Ridley
Bowser Jr.
Megaman
Captain Olimar
Andy (Advance Wars)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Marth

That's about all i can think of. Needless to say, not all of those are likely to make it in, but at the same time, i couldn't make a prediction about the final roster.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Me? Id prefer in the high thirties, but it will probably be around 32ish

You?
You think there will only be about 6 more characters total than Melee had? You're kidding. They had less than a year to work on Melee, and came up with 14 new characters in addition to all the new modes, new physics, etc. They've been working on Brawl for over two years.

Besides, we already have 11 newcomers - to wind up with a total of only 32 characters, we'd need to lose 5 veterans now, and another for every newcomer that is announced beyond that. That'd be pretty darn disappointing. Most of us have never predicted losing more than about 4 veterans, and many were counting on just dropping the 3 obviously gone one (Doc, Pichu, Roy).

Personally, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 is realistic. Perhaps one or two more or less, but thats a good ballpark to expect. I can't imagine it would drop below 36 or get above 44, but certainly if the latter happened you'd hear no complaints from me!

Zevox

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
id say about 35 people you must remember the more characters they have the more uncreative the movesets get, id rather have 35 totally unique well thought out characters than just 45 thrown in the game.

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
For me mid 40's to low 50's. I know it sounds like were asking for too much but Melee was in a developing process for only 9- 10 months rushed and still had double the amount of characters it did in SSB64.

This has been a good 2 and a half years developing process with a huge team thats composed over 100+ people and reps from Nintendo such as Shigeru Miyamoto actually helping on the game, legends in music such as Koji Kondo and a delay to add to it.

There has to be plenty of popular characters, characters like Kyrstal, Ridley, King Dedede, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., Wolf O Donnel, Geno, etc

There should be more than in the 30's. 32 would be quite disapointing. Melee (10 months)= 26 (including Sheik) while Brawl already has announced a lot of Newcomers, has been in development for 2 and a half years with an add on due to delay and still only have 10 more characters. It would feel empty even if some characters are being replaced/removed, etc.

So yea 40's-50's. Thats not asking for too much considering they have a lot of time, people, and resoures.

True that...we shoudl be getting like 56, thats what I want.....Unfortunantely im expecting about 40.

EPX2

Smash Ace
You think there will only be about 6 more characters total than Melee had? You're kidding. They had less than a year to work on Melee, and came up with 14 new characters in addition to all the new modes, new physics, etc. They've been working on Brawl for over two years.

Besides, we already have 11 newcomers - to wind up with a total of only 32 characters, we'd need to lose 5 veterans now, and another for every newcomer that is announced beyond that. That'd be pretty darn disappointing. Most of us have never predicted losing more than about 4 veterans, and many were counting on just dropping the 3 obviously gone one (Doc, Pichu, Roy).

Personally, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 is realistic. Perhaps one or two more or less, but thats a good ballpark to expect. I can't imagine it would drop below 36 or get above 44, but certainly if the latter happened you'd hear no complaints from me!

Zevox
Yeah, I agree completely. 32 is a very pessimistic expectation and not very realistic at all, in my opinion. I mean, it's definitely not the lowest prediction I've ever seen (someone suggested that Brawl would actually have fewer characters than Melee... I think the ignorance of that prediction speaks volumes for itself), but it's still pretty darn low.

I'm personally expecting ~40, with my own personal roster being at exactly 42 (not including transformations and PT's Pokemon as separate characters).

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I would want about...late 40's early 50's......

but if we get something in the 40's I wouldnt mind....

and Sakurai changes his mind about clones.....50's-60's

Top Bottom