• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters can you play "efficiently" as so far in Project M?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
My mains are Mario and Samus, but I can use Ganondorf and Toon Link decently.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I've got 2 tournament ready characters (DK and Ivysaur) I actually train and about 5 friendlies characters (Luigi, Snake, Roy, Falco, ZSS)

But my secret main is Falcon's fair.

Last edited:

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty terrible at the game, but I main wario (poorly) and play DK/Ivysaur on the side, mostly in friendlies or matchups.

I'll play just about anybody in friendlies, though.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I can do well in serious matches with every character in my signature. Edit: :ike::marth::mario2::metaknight::gw::wolf::lucas::falcon::sheik: . Not too sure about Wolf mainly because I don't dominate yet his Wolf Flash finisher combos (prefer bair, dair or any smash).

Vs my friends I can play efficiently too with :dk2::falco::jigglypuff::kirby2::link2::luigi2::mewtwopm::roypm::toonlink:

This game is too awesome. So many good characters. Too much fun.

Last edited:

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
hmm :bowser2::charizard::dk2::ganondorf::ivysaur::kirby2::lucario::mario2::metaknight::pikachu2::rob::squirtle::wario::dedede::diddy::falco::fox::zelda::roypm::218:
Are all characters that i can play comfortably. When i say comfortably i mean i can imitate what i've seen high level players do with them to an extent, and can still beat other players dedicated mains with them. Characters like Falcon, Jiggs and the ice climbers i just have a negative affinity for and just struggle with i guess.

Mains i would use in tourney however are: ROB, Charizard, Wario, Kirby, Gannon.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
None of the characters would really fit me perfectly. as odd as it sounds, but my mains are those who come the closest.

I main (from strongest to least so): :charizard::pit::zerosuitsamus:

I can hold my own as: :sonic::link2::marth::toonlink::ike::ivysaur::roypm:

I'm perfectly fine with a "jack of all trades, master of none" mindset, it leaves some options open for me.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a main, and it's possible that I never will, so I play a bunch of characters. The best ones are probably :ivysaur::bowser2::zelda::link2:

I also play :dedede::charizard::kirby2::gw::pikachu2::roypm:, but not well enough to be confident with them in a tournament setting.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
:lucario: and :yoshi2:
My "efficiency" is determined by how I'm feeling. In pain and easily agitated= :lucario:
Laid back= :yoshi2:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I main Zelda.
I play efficiently with Peach, Sheik, Ivysaur, Jigglypuff, and Ike.

I can sort of play as the other chars at an ok level, but not enough to enjoy or do very well with them.

1FD

Smash Ace
Probs a bad habit.
I noticed you been aquainted with mah homey @Nausicaa
Good ****, always help the peeps out
He's coming down from the mountains for the weekend and might even come online when he visits me.
Never seen someone so casual compete at such a level. If anyone breaks your point with the whole pick 1 character to get good thing, it's that guy and his -never play but be better than everyone at everything- combo.
I'm scared and stoked for tomorrow woop

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Notice how nearly every post has Mario as one of their efficient characters. Damn his incredibly simplistic, yet highly effective playstyle. -__-

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i play around 31 characters, all rather solid

i feel that when you've been playing smash for this long you should be able to just pick up any character and figure him out rather quickly and be able to play them efficiently.

funny enough the few characters i don't play are mostly members of the jank squad. Wario, G&W, ICs, Olimar, Rob, Squirtle.

I think i'm allergic to jank.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I noticed you been aquainted with mah homey @Nausicaa
Good ****, always help the peeps out
He's coming down from the mountains for the weekend and might even come online when he visits me.
Never seen someone so casual compete at such a level. If anyone breaks your point with the whole pick 1 character to get good thing, it's that guy and his -never play but be better than everyone at everything- combo.
I'm scared and stoked for tomorrow woop
Not even a fair comparison. Nausicaa is too stronk. I'm jealous as hell that you get to play with him. Where are you guys around? East coast/ or West coast?

Notice how nearly every post has Mario as one of their efficient characters. Damn his incredibly simplistic, yet highly effective playstyle. -__-
Everyone thinks they have a pocket Mario man. Here's the insider scoop, no one does. The first time I attended weeklies everyone would switch to Mario for fun, and call him an easy secondary, and I mirror matched them with Mario and showed them all the business. Next time I went to the weeklies no one had a pocket Mario anymore. Funny how that works out, huh?

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
i play like 20+ characters well, im still trying to figure out my main tho

1FD

Smash Ace
Not even a fair comparison. Nausicaa is too stronk. I'm jealous as hell that you get to play with him. Where are you guys around? East coast/ or West coast?

Everyone thinks they have a pocket Mario man. Here's the insider scoop, no one does. The first time I attended weeklies everyone would switch to Mario for fun, and call him an easy secondary, and I mirror matched them with Mario and showed them all the business. Next time I went to the weeklies no one had a pocket Mario anymore. Funny how that works out, huh?
I'm north west in canada basically. We're both in bc but not really associated with the BC community since we're so far away from them. Vancouver + Victoria is like the bc region then we're in the mountain valley hobbit land far away from that and all spread out from each other even. BC is bigger than Cali but there are more people in Cali than Canada, so it's like Socal to Norcal distance with little to no population lol

That pocket mario hoax thing is legit. No pocket mario is legit unless they're already a legit super-solid player like m2k or at least naus level or they at some point mained mario/doc in melee/pm for a bit to really get the finer groves of him.
Like heck, I have a pocket mario that is NOT AT ALL legit but it does ok simply because I've seen lots of mario + am ok at fundamentals. Does it count if it's decent and wins me games sometimes and is ok? No, because I've seen THE TRUTH about pocket marios.
He's an easy character like sheik or something where it's all a lie. Try playing melee/pm Shiek at a top level and that 'auto-combo/easy to play' thing will go out the window.
godang hard characters to play ACTUALLY well i tell ya!

To top this off, we got a local doc who gets Upb cancels oos basically 100% of the time and leads them into bigass combos. He's been doing that crap since ages ago and if he plays pm mario he's still better than most marios even without his trademark. Then there's nausicaa with his melee mario upb-walljumps and beating mango in mms with that character in melee, pm mario aint even a thing to these guys when the tech is easy as balls and pivot charged fsmashes out of uthorws into free 70% kills are even easier.
Everyone in pm needs to pivot and rar and do all that easy tech and start really abusing the ease of these melee-godawful techs in this game.

Makes my and a couple other local 'pocket marios' look like 64 samus-tier and most marios i see on streams look like melee kirby-tier lol

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
As for myself if I'm being honest on who I can play at a top/high level it's only 4 :squirtle::zerosuitsamus::gw::olimar:

I will say that having watched local/regional/international tournaments regularly and having been around on all the major community forums for quite some time now, there is a general misunderstanding on what top level squirtle play looks like.
For everyone who says they can play squirtle, I am skeptical. Maybe you can play amish squirtle, as in no advanced techniques for movements (slingjump, wavesling) or not using empty hydroplanes like hydropivot (or maybe any hydroplanes for that matter) but that's like playing fox without ever jumping out of shine. I rarely EVER see a squirtle actually move correctly around the stage, people need to read up on this character if they actually want to play him at a competitively viable level.

A good test to see if you play squirtle correctly is to D-throw a character at around 30-40 percent and see if you can immediately follow up with another hit (regardless of DI). If you can't you need to learn about his movement options. Alternatively, does your squirtle play look like captain falcon? Nope? Go to the squirtle forums and learn some stuff.

For those who use withdraw as a movement option and bubble/D-smash as 80% of their neutral game...

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I can do decently with: :pit:
I can fail miserably with: :bowser2::falcon::charizard::dedede::diddy::dk2::falco::fox::ganondorf::popo::ike::ivysaur::jigglypuff::kirby2::link2::lucario::lucas::luigi2::mario2::marth::metaknight::gw::ness2::olimar::peach::pikachu2::129::rob::samus2::sheik::snake::sonic::squirtle::toonlink::wario::wolf::yoshi2::zelda::zerosuitsamus::mewtwopm::roypm:
I've never bee very good at Project M...

Last edited:

SvenFletcher

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2165-7173-1188
I main :luigi2:, :wario:, and :mario2: and can somewhat competently play as :dk2: and :ganondorf:.

I also play :gw:, but I just fish for 9's 98% of the time.

Epic563

Smash Cadet
NNID
lacoot
I main Ness, but I can also play Marth and Falcon as my secondaries. Every other character I can play okay as.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I believe I do decently enough with the swordsmen (and bow-blademan and swordsqui****hing) of P:M, also Mewtwo, Sonic, and the PKMN Trainer's Pokemon (which I "mained" in Brawl, wherein I was more casual), and there's of course my mains: the FE Lords.

Electric Lady

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnQuixote
3DS FC
0662-4546-8146
As Bowser, I can fortress out of shield regularly and fortress hog pretty regularly. I can also do the Down+B cancel and connect aerials out of it successfully. But I still am developing a better idea of his offensive options. And battling against Lv9 computers isn't going to help me for that.

Zero Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zero_Kirby
3DS FC
3909-7524-8639
Switch FC
SW 7923-7756-9289
I'd probably wind up getting schooled by any actual professional smashers...

But I'd like to say I've gotten pretty decent with Snake and Samus.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
If you main more than 8 different characters, chances are you have no idea what you're doing.
I'm ****ing impressed by anyone that can actually main 8 characters, all at a high level. Very few people can actually claim that sort of broad proficiency.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm ****ing impressed by anyone that can actually main 8 characters, all at a high level. Very few people can actually claim that sort of broad proficiency.
I say 8 because I could see a really proficient Melee player play as Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Mario, so just maybe 8 characters might be possible. But realistically, anybody that can main more than 4 characters at a high level is already redonkulous. Past 8 is just plain impossible unless you're M2K.

Last edited:

Hukster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hukster
I'd like to say the characters I can play efficiently are:

Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game and Watch, Toon Link, Luigi, and Mario.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
All the characters in my signature. I've been learning how to play Lucas and Pit for a while now, on and off. I've been off for quite some time. My mains are Link, Snake, Zero Suit Samus, and Ness. The rest are counters, some better than others.

EDIT: I'm not a top professional or anything, like small tournament skill level.

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
hmm :bowser2::charizard::dk2::ganondorf::ivysaur::kirby2::lucario::mario2::metaknight::pikachu2::rob::squirtle::wario::dedede::diddy::falco::fox::zelda::roypm::218:
Are all characters that i can play comfortably. When i say comfortably i mean i can imitate what i've seen high level players do with them to an extent, and can still beat other players dedicated mains with them. Characters like Falcon, Jiggs and the ice climbers i just have a negative affinity for and just struggle with i guess.

Mains i would use in tourney however are: ROB, Charizard, Wario, Kirby, Gannon.
:218: needs to be nerfed! The PMBR won't listen!

1FD

Smash Ace
@ InfinityCollision InfinityCollision @ KayB KayB
The local I mentioned earlier already got cookies - but he should get another now for this.
He's beaten a melee-top-5 player with 11 different characters (that I know of) in full sets and mms
And won the first ever brawl tournament with over 100 entrants using random in the first match of each set
These things happened from 2008-2011 so it was a while ago but not much has changed in PM other than he doesn't play nearly as much anymore.
It doesn't make any sense since the rest of our entire community is ****ing garbageballs at this game and none of us travel or know wtf we're doing but he's to this day and has been since 2.1 the best player with a lot of characters I've seen in pm.
I'd record a vid of him crushing me just so people could see him but it would just be a showcase of punish game since I'm like ok at best and would just get hit and die but at least you might have a cool vid for your thread (kayb) maybe one day.

It's just a good testament to how you really DONT need to grind out playtime and labwork and travel forever and have a crazy good player near you just to be good at something. Smash or other since he does the same with like Vicotr Wooten and bass guitar or Allan Watts-like speaches or whatever everywhere.

I've benefited so much from changing mental disposition and practicing more about attention and awareness and mind related things that I can't put it to words, and it seems he was always trying to get that message across in his posts too, but man.
I wish I could help others but I can't so I'll just say that I hope everyone is happy here and now.
Imma miss this community when I'm gone too.

You 2 are smart and active around here and if there's anything you can do to help the community be better/etc then awesome and you're doing lots already, but if I can suggest anything I'd suggest to look into the mental developments around how people play the game and grow as players/people, especially when it comes to something like collabroative things like vid collections of forums talks. And help them that way whatever that might mean to you.
Mind matters most!
So much hope and love for this community, keep rocking!

Last edited:

yttik

As far as efficiently goes -

:mario2::marth::falco::ness2::pikachu2::squirtle::link2::zelda::lucas:

The only ones I feel like I actually perform well at are :link2: and :squirtle: though, rest are just for fun.

GeZ

Smash Lord
@ 1FD 1FD that Victor Wooten reference earns mad respect. Definitely a really awesome musician.

Last edited:
Top Bottom