• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is the competitive scene where your from?

($WaG)B1GT

Smash Rookie
I am from downtown toronto and there are quite a few tournaments going on i am posting from a laptop at school in the middle of one right now and its awesome that over 5 years later this game is still getting competitive support but i wonder how it is in other places in the world

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's pretty dead here in Kuwait, it's quite rare to spot a competitive Smash player. Most of the guys here are obsessed with either Call of Duty or Fifa.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I am from downtown toronto and there are quite a few tournaments going on i am posting from a laptop at school in the middle of one right now and its awesome that over 5 years later this game is still getting competitive support but i wonder how it is in other places in the world
I'll be heading down there to play competitively when I get a car.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Still pretty hype down in Florida. I just got back from a Smashfest with some really strong guys, so its rather active down here.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I'll be heading down there to play competitively when I get a car.
Good to hear. I can personally let you guys know that the Toronto scene is awesome.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
He couldn't possibly tell if any smasher's personality is "wacky", unless he knowns them in person :). V115 you are definitely underrated as a smasher, you are the third best Zero suit in the world in my perspective (Below Salem and NickRiddle). I wouldn't be really surprised if you were able to ultimately surpass them into becoming the best ZSS worldwide.

TreK

Is "that guy"
In Paris, it's not dead, it has never really been, but we're just not numerous enough to cover the venue fees. So we end up only organizing regionals like twice a year to make sure everybody and their mother can come.
Back when the game began, there was an association that did SF+Smash tournaments like once every month. Back then, you could afford missing a tournament, it wasn't a big deal. When it disbanded in 2011, we were soooo depressed xD

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I don't know a single person in Ottawa who even plays Smash anymore, let alone anyone who's aware of the metagame.

Varg Foad

Smash Cadet
In Paris, it's not dead, it has never really been, but we're just not numerous enough to cover the venue fees. So we end up only organizing regionals like twice a year to make sure everybody and their mother can come.
Back when the game began, there was an association that did SF+Smash tournaments like once every month. Back then, you could afford missing a tournament, it wasn't a big deal. When it disbanded in 2011, we were soooo depressed xD
I'm from Paris as well, and I think that the major problem with local tourneys are rules. Items enabled, random characters or stuff like that. It's really frustrating. Maybe the majority of smashers from here are not into competitive play.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Up at school (Uconn) its alright, mostly melee and project m. Not massive but a decent sized group and that's all that matters. Home, not really much to speak of, I can't find anything super close and I'm too out of practice to drive across the state or to MA or NY to get my ass handed to me first round.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
South Australia's Brawl scene has like 4 decent players who regularly go to tournaments.

Though it's actually been growing a bit recently so we'll see how that turns out.

peeup

Smash Lord
Seems bustling enough in my hometown (Mass) but my schooltown (CT) seems dead, for Brawl at least. I need to get into Melee...

Nido

ily Sebby
The Brawl and Melee scene in Victoria, Australia is pretty alive but the P:M scene is nonexistent which sucks balls.

Micro

Smash Rookie
It's pretty dead where I am in California. I'm interested in playing competitively, but there are never any tournaments around here :/

Thor

Smash Champion
Minnesota has a few serious smashers and we have weeklies and Smashfests (few actual tournaments). I can't go to most of that stuff (wait I should actually learn to drive?) but we have at least a few decent Smashers. Pretty sure an MN Smasher named YoshQ got into bracket at Apex 2013. But I think he hit DEHF round 1, so... yeah... he was in LB pretty quick.

My only source of experience is the local board and some weekly Smashfests, so take it with a grain of salt, but we're not... dead, just not very active. For competitive scene in general Melee is more popular and so is P:M.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'm also part of the downtown toronto scene and to be frank it is quite Maddening

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You live between Orlando, Tampa, and Gainesville. All 3 of those places have very active scenes. If you can drive you're pretty set. If you can't drive, you could probably get people to go and play.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
You live between Orlando, Tampa, and Gainesville. All 3 of those places have very active scenes. If you can drive you're pretty set. If you can't drive, you could probably get people to go and play.
I'm pretty much in that exact situation. I live in Lee county, and my car is broke atm. I try to get people from FGCU and friends of mine to go, but most of the time there isn't enough people.

SiLLyDJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SiLLyDJ
3DS FC
4399-0933-5544
I dont know of any places to go play though. Gainesville is only an hour away from where I live but I'm not sure of when they actually play or anything. I dont even know where to go from there. I've never really traveled anywhere to go play but now I'm willing to since I have my license.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty proud to say the smash scene in east coast Canada has been steadily picking up over the last 3 or 4 years. We're still not near the level of competition in Central and Western regions, but we've got a pretty awesome convoy of ready to go road trippers, and there have been more and more events it seems every month. We just recently re-ignited the melee scene in Halifax and Moncton, we're currently coming up on our 4th melee monthly in Halifax, and I think Moncton is on to it's 3rd pretty soon. The few players who are in this region for university that have experience from elsewhere have been pretty sweet, the chance to see other region's habits is a real treat. Our Brawl community has a lineup of great people who are constantly pushing us scrubs to improve. The Brawl monthlies now include an equal sized P:M bracket (which even though I'm not that into, am really happy to see flourish), and the place where they host those monthlies has recently gotten an amazing live stream setup.

Last little bit of positivity, the West coast smashers have been great with taking the opportunity to visit and attend some of our bigger tourneys over the last few years, and I think have really pushed the top brawl players in our region to up their game.

Even though the trip is pretty brutal, I think it'd be wonderful to try and arrange something with the Quebec Smash scene and try and host something in Fredericton or Edmonston. Even if it were an annual or biannual event, it would still be great for the community to get that experience (Would love to go to a Quebec Event but we usually save the big road trips for Apex and Impulse, still I seem to remember show me the poutine being a pretty well covered and popular event).

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Good to hear. I can personally let you guys know that the Toronto scene is awesome.
and here I was planning to be all "our competitive scene is alot of fun especially when I get to play with people who know the zss matchup rather well thanks to this guy v115 xD

Top Bottom