• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is it going Melee Fans?

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
Share how you got into Melee (apart from just playing Smash 64. Include the year).

Who was your first favourite character(s) and how did you progress to playing your current main.

Who is your top three favourite and least favourite characters (personally, don't refer to tiers, unless that legit is your preference)?

Favourite Item?

Favourite Stage?

When did you start playing melee competitively?

Who is your favourite Competitive Smasher(s)?

Have you tried out Melee's Glitches (i.e Master Hand, Black Hole, Samus Super WaveDash + Extended Grappler, Links Super Jump, Pixel Kirby Glitch, etc.)?

If you have anymore trivial questions to ask others on this thread feel free to do so!

Xyzz

Smash Champion
We have the social thread for this, I guess ;)

Also: Items... uh, I had to endure them for ~3-5h when unlocking all the stuff. Never again.
Favorite characters for me are kinda interchangable (my friends threatened to count how often per hour I change my opinion on the greatest / most fun character in the game :D), least favourite to play against are Jiggs (boooring) and GaW (that thing is so ugly...)
Favourite stage is definitely dreamland (the music! :D)

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
Share how you got into Melee (apart from just playing Smash 64. Include the year).

Who was your first favourite character(s) and how did you progress to playing your current main.

Who is your top three favourite and least favourite characters (personally, don't refer to tiers, unless that legit is your preference)?

Favourite Item?

Favourite Stage?

Have you tried out Melee's Glitches (i.e Master Hand, Black Hole, Samus Super WaveDash + Extended Grappler, Links Super Jump, Pixel Kirby Glitch, etc.)?

If you have anymore trivial questions to ask others on this thread feel free to do so!
Now to answer my own thread :D

In 2003 a few kids I went to camp with brought Melee along and that game seriously tripped me out. It looked so interesting, and at that time I just got a Cube so I begged my mom for the game and she said only If I got B+ or above on my report card. Getting Melee was probably the hardest I have ever worked in school lol.

Roy looked really flashy with the armour and sword so he was the first I chose at camp. Once I got my own game I played Kirby because of his recovery and copy ability. Then I chose young link because he was a new character and his spin attack (up b) was the only move I could use to beat my sister at the time (she was cheaply spamming tilt a with Zelda). I eventually showed my buds this game and they all got game cubes because of it and we would play it at every one of our birthdays. My one friend bragged how I was amazing (all I did was spam up b with adult link) but then I started getting owned so I switched to Fox and remained undefeated for a while until my one bud also switched to fox and destroyed me, so I decided to use Falco and have been owning my friends with him ever since.

Top 3 Favs:

Falco
Captain Falcon
Marth

Top 3 Least Favs:

Pichu
Bowser
Ness

(For throwing) Home Run Bat

Battlefield or Dream Land 64

I am starting this March Break.

My favourites are Axe, Kage, M2K, Shroomed, and Mango.

Yes, most of them with my friends.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I started playing when my friend got a cube back in early 04 and i have been in love with the game ever since.

Bing

Smash Master

I started Melee in November of 2009, but I watched the pro videos for years prior...
Well actually, I did play at my cousins a few times back in 04...
I had always been a Fox man, but when I first started, I used Link for a bit, then Puff. Then when I really took is seriously, Marth/Fox and now Fox/Marth

Top 3 favourite Characters: Fox, Pichu and Link.. and Marth...and Falcon.. and Yoshi... and I must stop now...
Top 3 least favourite: **** G&W. The rest are good... weird

Favourite Item?
I hate items.. except for bumpers which arent in Melee. Homerun bats are cool
Favourite Stage?

November 09. Went to KirbyKaze's house for a smashfest. What a great day. People 4 stocking me all around!

I've done all of these... though I hate Samus' SuperWaveDash

If you have anymore trivial questions to ask others on this thread feel free to do so![/QUOTE]

Also, funny story, Im currently at work(I work at a call center) and I just called a woman who lived in Bowser, British Columbia.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
I got into melee last year. One of the seniors brought in a gamecube with melee and hooked it up, I became hopelessly addicted in record time.

Marth->Link->Ganon->Sheik->Marth
I started with marth, but everyone complained he was too good so I stopped. Roll dodge and c-stick is broken, man. I went to link next since he has a sword, and that's when I saw a Germ combo video. whoa did that blow my mind. After realizing I couldn't be germ, I switched to ganon because Linguini videos looked less impossible (because I couldn't comprehend the fancy wavelanding etc stuff). Then I went to sheik because z0mg high tier, then ended up playing Marth because he's just who I enjoy most.

Marth, Ganon, Link are my favorite characters.

Favourite Item would have to be the beam sword. It's fun to throw around, and whenever I get it as Ganon I go all Darth Vader mode.

Favourite Stage? Tough question. Don't really have an answer.

When did you start playing melee competitively? Very late '11.

Who is your favourite Competitive Smasher(s)? Salepate, Taj, Germ, Mango, and M2K.

Have you tried out Melee's Glitches (i.e Master Hand, Black Hole, Samus Super WaveDash + Extended Grappler, Links Super Jump, Pixel Kirby Glitch, etc.)? Yeah.... they weren't all that great, lol.

There's a place called Bowser?? :o

Bill_the_Duck

Smash Cadet
I got into melee... well I started screwing around with it around March last year, began to get serious in September.

Link->Falco->Link->Peach->Ganon->Peach
Started Link because... idk, thats just who I liked :p went Falco when I figured out Link sucks :( Went back to Link because I didn't like Falco's aggressive style and I fail at lasers. Went to Peach soon after because it's the character I legitimately enjoy, left for Ganon because of haters and also because Ganon's Down-B into a recovering Fox's face makes me lol. Then back to Peach because I figured, haters gon' hate.

Favorites are Peach, Link and Ganon.
Least favorite are Fox, Pikachu and YL. It's the fast characters that need to get in a storm of consistent hits, maybe? Idk, I think I just don't like fast characters but these 3 are particularly annoying. I have no problem with C.Falc, for example :/

Item... um... the hammer, because hammer.

Stage... Corneria, as long as nobody is gay and screws around with the wall.

September 11

Armada, I guess. I watch him the most anyway.

Yeah, they're mostly stupid.

Spyro

Smash Ace
It was late 2010 I found out about competitive melee (I wish I would have just made an account instead of just lurking these boards).I got into melee after watching this video. I was just looking up brawl "combo" videos for characters and cause Mewtwo is not in brawl, it showed me how much more fun, fast paced and cooler melee is. I watched the video before the audio swap btw.

I don't remember my very first character but I remember maining Mario back when I thought he was the best character and how I thought I was so pro, this was back when I was like 12 years old lol. I started maining Pikachu because of Axe, Nuff said there.

Top 3 favorites
1) Pikachu
2) Fox
3) Falcon

Don't really know who my least favorite are.

I don't ever have items on and I have not liked items even before I knew there was a competitive community.

I have not truly gotten into competitive melee yet cause I have no car or any way of getting around :(

My favorite smashers are Axe (why I play Pikachu) and Silent Wolf (why I play Fox)

The only glitch I have really tried is Samus'es super wavedashing.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Always played IC's at a casual level until about 2006, watched some Chu and applied Wave Dashing and D-throw Nana dair combos. Watched some King/Mango and picked up Jiggs, then decided to say **** it and learn Pichu and Mewtwo as well.

Currently in the process of experimenting with Desynchs other than Ice Block Chase-> Read -> appropriate response.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
My neighbor who was a good friend of mine had Smash 64 and I'd go there and play that every day. Eventually he got a Gamecube and we started playing Melee. I think it was in around 2001 when the game came out when I actually started playing.

My favorite character when I first played the game was Kirby (cuz I was a n00b and I still liked him from 64). Eventually I figured out Kirby was a crappy character and instead opted for another character that I loved using: Captain Falcon. I kinda used Falcon as a joke character for a while, but eventually he just stuck as my main.

My three favorite characters... hmm... probably Kirby, Captain Falcon, and Fox (though I've been liking Samus a lot lately). Least favorites are probably Luigi, Bowser, and Pichu.

My favorite item is the bunny hood, cuz 12 mile long moonwalks is some epic ****.

Favorite stage is Battlefield.

I started playing Melee competitively about a year and a half a go.

Favorite competitive smasher: Hax, Scar, S2J, Darkrain. I also like Nakamaru's Falcon a lot. Pretty much all the awesome Falcon mains.

I've only really tried Master Hand glitch, Name entry glitch (play by yourself and stuff), and Samus' SWD and Extender.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
oh right there were other questions

top three favourite- Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, and Pichu

least favourite characters- Peach, Roy, and Pikachu

Favourite Item- Lip's stick and Bunny Hood tied, (Melee) screw attack close behind

Favourite Stage- Competitively: Yoshi's Story, Friendlies: Mute City, Casual matches: Fourside

When did you start playing melee competitively- Well, recreationally anyway, 2007. I still have no way of making it to actual tournaments.

Who is your favourite Competitive Smasher(s)- Chu, Wobbles, Gimpyfish, Zhu, and Taj. Sorry Fly.

Have you tried out Melee's Glitches?- I regularly apply Samus's grapple in friendlies. It's always funny to hear reactions. ALSO I WAVE DASH ALL THE TIME ITS IS A GLITCH GUYS THATIS WHY IT WAS REMOVED OBVIOUSLU

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
I got into melee... well I started screwing around with it around March last year, began to get serious in September.

Link->Falco->Link->Peach->Ganon->Peach
Started Link because... idk, thats just who I liked :p went Falco when I figured out Link sucks :( Went back to Link because I didn't like Falco's aggressive style and I fail at lasers. Went to Peach soon after because it's the character I legitimately enjoy, left for Ganon because of haters and also because Ganon's Down-B into a recovering Fox's face makes me lol. Then back to Peach because I figured, haters gon' hate.

Favorites are Peach, Link and Ganon.
Least favorite are Fox, Pikachu and YL. It's the fast characters that need to get in a storm of consistent hits, maybe? Idk, I think I just don't like fast characters but these 3 are particularly annoying. I have no problem with C.Falc, for example :/

Item... um... the hammer, because hammer.

Stage... Corneria, as long as nobody is gay and screws around with the wall.

September 11

Armada, I guess. I watch him the most anyway.

Yeah, they're mostly stupid.
Well Armada being the best Peach player currently that makes a whole lot of sense.

Bing

Smash Master
hmm I didnt mention my favourite smashers...
Well Obviously my gta homies...
Now in terms of playstyle.. Lovage, SilentWolf, Eggz, Tec0, The Germ, PC Chris. <-- So Fox mains and a Link. I also love Niko's Marth
In terms of pros I've met.. Shroomed, Axe,Tai, Vman(so AZ), Plup, Hbox, PPU.

Im probably forgetting some people but oh well...

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
i don't know who my main is right now, probably captain falcon.
i love falcon, ganon, and sheik.
i love the beam sword.
i love dreamland.
i love hax, armada, and m2k.

edit: peach is a pretty cool character too

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Saw it randomly at a game store and was liek all wide eyed. This was before I read gaming news so I didn't know 64 had a sequel nor that it had come out that month.

I ended up wanting to try new characters so my mains went as follows
Peach
Shiek
Marth
Falco
...Go ****ing figure.
also Mewtwo but he ruins the coincidence

I went to my first tourney in '06 with a friend. He got into melee, I didn't. Mostly because I was 12, couldn't use the bus/subway alone and couldn't get constant rides to the tourneys which weren't super far but somewhat out there. Unfortunately my friend did live pretty far and would have had to go out of his way to pick me up and drive me to any tourneys, which didn't happen since he pretty much just took the subway(older than I was) with people in his area while my home was far from any station and again, 12 year old busing it wasn't an option. I forgot about the game for a few years but now I'm older and want to finally get into competitive smash since I've been following it for so long.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
Falco, Mewtwo and Falcon
Favourite Item?
Star Rod. Huge knockback and handy for Z-drop mindgaming
Favourite Stage?
Depends on what character i'm playing against really.
A year ago. I've been playing since launch.
Mango, Armada
All of the above, except the ones which don't work on my version.

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
Got a cube strictly for melee. 05 or 06

Started with link didn't like his weight so swapped to young link
link>yink>puff>falco>fox>sheik>falco

Top 3... falco falcon ness
bot 3... ICs bowser pichu(only characters I don't like playing)

Fav stage... yoshi's story, randalls a pimp

Item... pokeball

Fav players... mango, silent spectre, recently mofo, sions pretty fun to watch too

Tried those glitches, im pretty good at samus' swd

:phone:

Mean2U

Smash Cadet
Started in 02 after it came out but only played for fun as a kid hahaha.

Main Falco because Ive always loved Star Fox 64 and he's awesome.

Item: Home Run Bat.

Yanz

Smash Rookie
When did I get into Smash? Probably around 10~
Who are my favorite characters?~ Zelda, Jiggely-Puff and Kirby!~ Actually depending on my mood and if I'm in the zone I can play any character!~ ^.^ ^.^
Who is my main? Zelda!~ ^.^ Even though I am a guy!~
Don't have a least favorite!~ I love them all!~ ^.^
What Smash do I play? I play Smash Melee for the Gamecube~
I like stages that don't usually move, best for maximum moves and smash!~

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I got into smash in 05, my sister got it and weve played ever since.

Main progression:
Roy (when I was a kid)
Falco (when I started going competitive (this year around winter))
Sheik
Falco
Falcon
Ganon
Roy (pro version (he just feels right))

Like I said, went competitive this year beginning of winter.

Item: bombomb, lols

Stage: Jungle Japes, funniest stage ever
Best stage: Pokemon stadium (im amazing here)

Least favoirte char: the ICs are stupid, samus is annoying (mega roy bias)

Favorite smashers: Zhu (my inspiration), Mango (too funny), Darkrain (no comment), M2K (love watching him as marth)

Glitches: ive played sheik before i guess (lolzlolzlolz sheik is broken)
but seriously i pull out master hand on people as a joke when they havent done it before.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I first played melee with one of my friends in like 03 or so.
He happened to own a gamecube with melee, and I wasn't allowed to own any video games (over protective parents) until i was like 10, so I though melee was the funnest game I'd ever played.
After that, one of my other friends got it and we played every weekend until the wii came out and we just played wii games for awhile (we were young, we've learned).
After brawl, we tried to get serious at that, then as we became more aware of competitive smash, we decided to try melee again (this was probably in '09-ish) with the intention of one day becoming professionals.

my first favorite character was ness, because I thought PK fire was cheap and just spammed it.
After that I played boozer, because I though he was cool.
then luigi.
after brawl, I played Falcon.
then a bunch of characters.
Eventually, I tried pichu as a joke and loved him.
now i play pichu and fox.

my three favorite characters are Pichu, Fox, and Luigi.
I don't know if I have any least favorites, but I don't care much for playing against marth, puff, or samus.

favorite item? probably either the bunnyhood or motion sensor bombs
favorite stage? ****ING POKEFLOATS. dead serious, I love that stage.

my favorite smasher is Mango by far. followed by Axe, SilentSpectre, and a few others.
those three were probably the most influential to me though. Especially Mango.
I was such a Jeff fanboy when I first started taking melee seriously though, I always rooted against mango, but now I love him so much. Absolute favorite player.

and yea, I've tried every glitch that I know of, don't know what my favorite would be. probably the super wavedash or the extender because they look ******** and always make me laugh when I see them.

and now you all know more about my smash career than you ever wanted to ^^

Top Bottom