• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is Captain Falcon's performance in the elements of Brawl?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay first off, please read this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199108

Second of all, the reason I am posting this here is because I don't have set-out summaries of Captain Falcon's performance in the elements of Brawl. So, I was wondering if you guys could do it, considering how you guys are the authorities on your own character.

Use this thread to discuss it, and then please post your results in the "Element of Brawl" thread linked above, using this format:

ZONING
  • On the ground
  • In the air
  • Off-stage

SPACING
  • Extreme long distance
  • Long distance
  • Medium distance
  • Short distance

KILLING
  • Killing power
  • Gimping potential

Thanks a bunch.

crewster

Smash Lord
Elements Of Brawl, Captain Falcon

ZONING
  • On the ground-O.K. (Smashes)
  • In the air-Good (Knee, Uair, Bair)
  • Off-stage-V. Good (Knee, Dair Spike, Punch)

SPACING
  • Extreme long distance-None
  • Long distance-O.K. (Ub, Sb)
  • Medium distance-Good (Ub, Sb)
  • Short distance-V. Good (Smashes, U+D+B+Fair)

KILLING
  • Killing power-Good (Smashes, Punch, Knee)
  • Gimping potential-V. Good (Ariel-Punch, Knee)
Just some Ideas

Roager

Smash Ace
A different analysis of Captain Falcon. Cuz I disagree with Crewster's. Nothing personal.
ZONING

* On the ground - Tilts are pretty useful, and Dsmash, but otherwise meh. Average/slightly below average - 2.7/5
* In the air - Uair and Nair are useful. Plus Dair and Fair are pretty good killers. Plus Bair for the stage spike. Above average. 4/5
* Off-stage - Not bad. Flub knee to uair is a pretty beastly gimp. Also, if you can use sideB spike well, its pretty nice. Average/Slightly above. 3.3/5

SPACING

* Extreme long distance - Fail... 0/5
* Long distance - Not really anything. Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost cover about half of FD... Still pretty bad. below average to terrible. 1/10
* Medium distance - Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost... Meh. Below average. 2/5
* Short distance - Pretty much everything Falcon has... Considering the speed, I'd say Above Average. 4/5

KILLING

* Killing power - Dsmash has a nice low trajectory. PAUNCH if you can land it is still pretty good. And the Knee, while nerfed, is still a useful killer. Average. 3/5 to 3.5/5
* Gimping potential - Gimp knee to Uair is ****. True Knee used as a gimp is also ****. Dair spike, dair launch, and falcon dive... Above average to amazing. 4.5/5

Im sure you guys disagree in a lot of places, but there you go. My analysis of Falcon.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, about Falcon's recovery. I know you all hate it. But it doesn't get stuck under lips (FD) and it's actually got some pretty legit use. It grabs people and the ledge at pretty far distances, so it's harder to gimp than before. Plus, raptor Boost spike. Much more useful now, since you get that little hop off of them. Pretty good. Not great, but longer and more stable than before.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ironically, the Prima Strategy Guide gave him an overall rating of 8. Competitive gamers would be complaining to Prima if they saw that.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
ZONING

On the ground - kinda slow moves compared to other chars, but can be used to punish pretty nicely. also predicting opponents roll>Dsmash is good. Like roager mentioned tilts are good, Dtilt to Dtilt sometimes works and Utilt can punish some approaches, so IMO 3/5
In the air - IMO captain falcon's airs are very good. tehy all have their purpose and the knee and Dair are pretty good kill moves. also short hopped gimp knee to autocancel (to jab for example) is good IMO and short hope sweetspot knee to autocancel works on taller opponents wich is also nice.
Captain falcon's Uair is amazing and his Nair combo's into jabs. IMO 4/5 it would be 5/5 if he had more priority
Off-stage - amazing gimp techniques make him good offstage (getting opponents offstage is harder) and with his ability to walljump he has quite some depth in his offstage game (not just because of the walljump as that can only be effectively used on some stages) but he has good options offstage due to his good arials IMO

SPACING

Extreme long distance - *cries* 0/5
Long distance - *cries* 0/5
Medium distance - falcon kick is pretty good, but punishable. raptor boost is also good but if it misses you're screwed. 2/5
Short distance - this is the most part of falcon's game (jab jab grab etc.) 4/5

KILLING

Killing power - good killing power only the moves that do are risky (hard to hit or slow) so he doesn't really have a reliable kill move, but when he hits he hits kinda hard 3.5/5
Gimping potential - very good IMO (gimp knee>Uair like mentioned before, or somtimes even Uair>Dair if you're lucky) but mostly the gimp knee:p

Roager

Smash Ace
Ok, so Prima is fail, good for them. And, uh, DRaGZ, take any of the Falcon summaries, or compile them somehow, or something. Or somebody else do it, so DRaGZ can add it to his other thread. Hopefully this kind of summary will actually come in handy for a quick reference.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Hello fellows.

Okay, two things. One, the version of the analysis I am going to put up is a modified version of Roager's (modified only to the extent that it adds the rating nomenclature, your numbers are very helpful). Here it is as follows:

A different analysis of Captain Falcon. Cuz I disagree with Crewster's. Nothing personal.
ZONING

* On the ground - Tilts are pretty useful, and Dsmash, but otherwise meh. Rating: Below Average
* In the air - Uair and Nair are useful. Plus Dair and Fair are pretty good killers. Plus Bair for the stage spike. Rating: Above Average
* Off-stage - Not bad. Flub knee to uair is a pretty beastly gimp. Also, if you can use sideB spike well, its pretty nice. Rating: Average

SPACING

* Extreme long distance - Fail... Rating: Uncomfortable
* Long distance - Not really anything. Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost cover about half of FD... Still pretty bad. Rating: Uncomfortable
* Medium distance - Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost... Meh. Rating: Uncomfortable
* Short distance - Pretty much everything Falcon has... Considering the speed, Falcon can do a few things here. Rating: Comfortable

KILLING

* Killing power - Dsmash has a nice low trajectory. PAUNCH if you can land it is still pretty good. And the Knee, while nerfed, is still a useful killer. Rating: Average
* Gimping potential - Gimp knee to Uair is ****. True Knee used as a gimp is also ****. Dair spike, dair launch, and falcon dive... Rating: Above Average

Im sure you guys disagree in a lot of places, but there you go. My analysis of Falcon.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, about Falcon's recovery. I know you all hate it. But it doesn't get stuck under lips (FD) and it's actually got some pretty legit use. It grabs people and the ledge at pretty far distances, so it's harder to gimp than before. Plus, raptor Boost spike. Much more useful now, since you get that little hop off of them. Pretty good. Not great, but longer and more stable than before.
So there. Good?

Also, I have added a "Survivability" section to the topic, and the ratings are as follows (rating from Easy, Intermediate, Difficult for Falcon to Recover/Stay Alive)

Captain Falcon
  • Recovery: While his recovery is much better than in Melee, since his Raptor Boost can sort of bunny hop over an opponent in mid-air, it's still pretty bad and can be gimped pretty easily. Rating: Difficult
  • Staying Power: Falcons spacing isn't very good since its priority is so small, and he's fairly easy to hit in general. His one caveat is that he has great running speed, but not fast like Sonic to the point that he's very difficult to hit. Rating: Difficult

This makes his total score 24.

Agree? Disagree? Hate? Any feedback is good feedback.

Roager

Smash Ace
Hey, cool, mine's getting accepted.

anyway, I actually think Falcon's got Intermediate recovery. I mean, with good DI, you can almost always put yourself into a good place to Falcon Dive to the edge. And from there, Ledgehops are Falcon's friend. The new Falcon Dive is actually a pretty good recovery. We're looking at hieght roughly the same as Marth's, but with the added bonus of far more horizontal. On the way up, Falcon Dive also (often) gets "grab armor" (or whatever its called) which makes him FAR less gimpable than in melee. Also, a small bonus, Falcon's tough to trap under lips. Still, it leaves something to be desired in its biggest weakness: below him.

Overall, Decent distance, grab armor, no lips, failure if attacked from below, or by something with range (marth fair, for instance...) I'd say intermediate, but difficult is still kinda legit.

Staying power, I could see him getting a difficult. He's not that heavy, and he's hardly the most stable fighter in the fray.

Mit

Smash Ace
Falcon's recovery is definitely not difficult. I could go as far to say it's better than intermediate even. Raptor Boost is pretty bad, sure, but if you're spamming that for recovery you deserve to get gimped or killed.

Falcon Dive is an amazing recovery move, and it's not easily gimped because of its range. You have to be pretty far off the level to not be able to Falcon Dive all the way back onto the stage (without grabbing the ledge), so edge-grabbing gimps do not happen very often. If people try to come out and attack you, it's risky business, because you usually have a lot of leeway to move around in the air and dodge their attacks, and either get back to the ledge, or grab your opponent with Falcon Dive, which could result in them being gimped.

You can also make odd recoveries from under levels and such (like Smashville) by folding Falcon Dive around the edge (with your back to the ledge) and landing back up on the level.

Compared to a lot of other characters' recoveries, his is definitely better than difficult.

Roager

Smash Ace
yeah, mit's right, but compared to things like ROB, Falcon's nowhere near that level of recovery. Still, he might deserve an easy rating. Either way.

(That said, Intermediate should be the minimum Falcon gets for recovery. On FD, I've been almost low enough for magnifier to kick in, and I made it up with (one, i didn't chain it on somebody) up-b. It's about as vertical as marth, plus the added bonus of a big range to grab the edge.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
You guys are right. If Ganny gets an Intermediate, then I think Falcon deserves an Intermediate (almost solely more because he can wrap that Up+B around the FD ledge).

I would say Ganondorf's recovery is better because he can scare off opponents with Murder Choke whereas other characters can just hit Falcon out of his Raptor Boost without much danger, but not by enough.

It is definitely not Easy though.

crewster

Smash Lord
What do you mean. It does *cough*pokemon stadium*cough*
True:)

Roager

Smash Ace
Ok, at PS, I can see Falcon getting caught, but you get the point. I used FD as an example cuz its a popular stage, and the lips are fairly notorious. At FD, he can make it out from under the ledge. That's a pretty cool bonus.

Top Bottom