• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How important is Wdash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Sorry for another Wdash thread but i was wondering...

How important is Wdash in smash?

I have tell to many people that it was removed (acording to the thread of digipen): some react normally, other were happy (1 or 2) and the rest flamed me saying liar and other things, and when i showed that to them, they said it was false/it is a demo/another random things. What is improtant is that all who are more "pros" like the others (spanish pros FTW i hate a lots of them (but not all of them) but this is offtopic) and they said: without it smash will suck: Wdash is about 50% of smash.

I tried to discuss that but they didnt want to do it.

So... discuss my question, because i didnt know for some people Wdash was soooo important.

Pookiez

Smash Apprentice
in before lock... anyways, it heavily depends on the character. i.e. Luigi/ Iceclimbers will suffer greatly w/o WD since that is their basic means of mobility.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
in before lock... anyways, it heavily depends on the character. i.e. Luigi/ Iceclimbers will suffer greatly w/o WD since that is their basic means of mobility.
they would suck in MELEE, this is BRAWL. We have no idea what the effects will be. A good player should be able to play with and without them anyway....

do ya thang thang Mic_128 or McFox

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
they would suck in MELEE, this is BRAWL. We have no idea what the effects will be. A good player should be able to play with and without them anyway....

There we go.

Really, wavedashing won't make or break Brawl. It'll be just as competitive without it.
Sure midtier characters like Mario and other lower characters like Luigi may suffer, but every character isn't going to be COMPLETELY balanced either way.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah they would, in Melee, Brawl will be balanced differently and hopefully better though.

Still wave landing will be in the game but no wave dashing.

I'm not sad for it's removal, more glad that air dodging won't make your character stunned after words.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I think melee is incredibly fun.. and I don't know how to wavedash.. ( or care to learn)

Can't be too much of the game eh?

Wave dashing sounds more like a drug than an advanced technique.

Mama

Smash Ace
As a whole, wave dashing is not important. Non pro players simply think that if wave dashing is not in Brawl then the pros wont be as good and they'll have a better chance at winning.

Thats wrong of course. For a lot of people wave dashing is simply used as a mind game and spacing attacks. Its simply difficult to learn which causes people to think that just because they can't do it it should be removed and if it is then things will be easier.

In my opinion wave dashing is simply too over rated for its own good. Brawl will likely have its own things that scrubs will be upset about and use as an excuse for not being good at the game because Brawl is different.

If Wdashing was taken out of Melee all of a sudden you'd have some upset Marth's, Ice Climbers, Luigi's of course since its Melee and thats what they practiced. But if you take it out of Brawl (I wouldn't understand why) pro players would not care half as much as the scrubs. Its a new game therefore play styles would be different. Ice climbers that wdash all the time in Melee may not even need to in Brawl and instead would utilize new mechanics like the air dodge to jump in some clever way. Its a new game with new mechanics. Lets kill the wave dash threads now please.

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
QFT. Some of the other characters dont really need those WD techniques

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
That digipen thread was ******** and lacked proof. Wavedashing still has a chance, so quit making assumptions.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
yeah, i got banned for discusing some things like smash balls and items

Anyway i can return if i change my IP, but i'm just too lazy :p i'm no returning there

can you go to the topic? thanks ^^ (more and more saying em is important... and some says that smash will be destryed w/out wdash :S)

Thank mama for explaining it well, i'm starting to understand)

Wow, you are spanish, what a surprise.

So you will lok how i'm flamed because i wanted to have character more balanced, along other things because i sayed "luigi hasn't have a quick fall (and he doesnt... his quick fall is ****)" and i was a noob because of that. Oh yeah, very well >_>

Pookiez

Smash Apprentice
Yeah they would, in Melee, Brawl will be balanced differently and hopefully better though.

Still wave landing will be in the game but no wave dashing.

I'm not sad for it's removal, more glad that air dodging won't make your character stunned after words.
Ummm... he asked for how important it was in melee. I replied. I never tried to speculate how the game would play in brawl.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
Smash will not be ruined without WD, anyone that says so is overreacting and needs to get a new hobby. Millions of people play without it, in fact most people probably don't even know about it. It's an exploit, not a necessity.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's seriously not THAT hard to learn it and it's not like you can win a match just by wavedashing

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
Wave Dashing is like the rocket launcher in Halo 3, you cant lock on vehicles anymore with it, but Halo 3 still kick ***. That being said, SSBB will still kick *** as well even wave dashing gone

Takalth

Smash Ace
Regardless of whether it's in or out (Let's simplify this discussion by avoiding that question altogether), wavedashing is a combination of a useful technique and a status symbol.

Though I'm in the pro-wavedash crowd, it has very little to do with the capacity of Smash as a competitive game. Of couse, if they took out several advanced techniques without adding new ones, it would kill competition, but overall, wavedash is simply a useful technique.

Somehow, though, wavedashing became a status symbol. A person's ability to wavedash was used to define his skill level, and as a result, people on both sides of the fence decided that competitive play revolved around wavedashing. Non-wavedashers blamed it for their losses against competitive players who were simply a lot better than them, while competitive players decided that wavedashing was the determining factor on whether Brawl would be good.

Really, if wavedashing is gone but Brawl meets or exceeds Melee's capacity for competitive play, I'm fine with it, but if they pull a bunch of advanced techniques without adding proper replacements, my copy of Brawl (along with my wii, since that's 99% of the reason I own one) will be on Ebay.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
The point isn't how will be ssbb without Wdash, the point is how important is in melee wavedash and what are we "losing" if we dont get it in brawl

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
Smash will not be ruined without WD, anyone that says so is overreacting and needs to get a new hobby. Millions of people play without it, in fact most people probably don't even know about it. It's an exploit, not a necessity.
exactly. who really cares if its gone. you guys will still play the hell out of the game regardless. its like how those n64 stages appeared in melee but people complained cause other stages werent there (i remember reading posts/rants about that).

you guys will get over it if its not there...trust me. if wavedashing is still there, then good. im sure SOMEONE will complain that it isnt "as good" as melee, but whatever. im sure no one will ever be satisfied with this game, or any game for that matter.

1st post btw.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Pretty important, but not "can't live without it" important. Mind games are going to get dumbed down a lot unless there is another wavedashesque technique discovered in. The ability of your opponent (and you) to instantly change direction on the ground and to preform smash attacks out of a WD make guessing his/her next move much more interesting. Also, tier position will heavily rely on rolling this time around. Poor Samus with her worthless roll doesn't stand a chance.

Also,

Mama

Smash Ace
Pretty important, but not "can't live without it" important. Mind games are going to get dumbed down a lot unless there is another wavedashesque technique discovered in. The ability of your opponent (and you) to instantly change direction on the ground and to preform smash attacks out of a WD make guessing his/her next move much more interesting. Also, tier position will heavily rely on rolling this time around. Poor Samus with her worthless roll doesn't stand a chance.

Also,
Spoken like a true amateur. Seriously, mind games will not be dumbed down in the slightest and the tier list is based on skill not wave dashing. For starters Brawl is a new game with new mechanics that will replace wavedashing regardless of whether it is in or not mark my words.

If anything, things will get even more technical. You're stuck on Melee terms still. You seriously need to open your eyes. "Tier listing will heavily rely on rolling" ....fail.

You're forgetting about things such as acting after Up-b recovery moves, footstool jumps, jumping after air dodging (the list goes on). I don't mean to flame (this bad) but you should think before posting and try not to sound so noobish. If I keep seeing stuff like that I'm liable to stop posting in this section and just read new info...

Jammer

Smash Lord
The thread says "how important is wavedashing for Smash?" By "Smash", did you mean Melee (then very important--it's a very useful spacer/mindgame/versatility advanced technique) or Brawl?

I guess I'm one of those people who can wavedash and are pretty good (but I'm definitely not a pro) who doesn't want wavedashing Brawl, so you know which side of the "fence" I'm on.

I'd say wavedashing (or, rather, the lack of) in Brawl won't be that important. There'll almost surely be new advanced techniques to discover and learn.

Wavedashing is used for mindgames, spacing, and increased options/versatility that the characters weren't designed to have. It won't really hurt to take away those extra abilities.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I mean in general.

Like mama said, i dont see why Roll will make the tier list. There is a LOT of neww techinques we have to see them been used (i want to see footstool jumps) so we can decide.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
it will change nothing ... new strategies will be made. People are just too whiny to accept the fact that the last 7 years of melee and all their practicing will be for naught now that Brawl is coming out.

ACCEPT IT!!! MELEE WILL DIE!, BRAWL IS GOING TO REPLACE IT! yes, people will still play melee, but brawl is going to be the main game.

New Game, New Strategies!!! Dont whine and complain because you cant use your same strategies as in melee. Thats just childish.

$ick

Smash Lord
Wrong place to ask this question Yoshi Fan. This thread is full of "anti-be good at the game" type of people. They'll just cry about cheating and wanting to be good blah blah. Go to your regional zone and ask anyone who goes to tournies. Basically wavedashing is very important if you want to be good. If you don't want to be good, like 90% of the people in this forum, don't worry about. ^_^

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Although I love WD, I still love SSB64. It will be missed if its really gone, but its not something to cry/whine over.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Wavedash is not important. There were alot of people happy dancing on the supposed grave of wavedashing. The people happy about its removal outnumbers the pro wavedashers on the Brawl boards.

Who the **** told you that wavedash made the tier list? God, do you people not have any logic at all? Why is the Brawl boards so ****ing ********.

Salaad

Smash Ace
I just hope they have new glitches/exploits..

If you think about the transition between 64 and Melee I bet a lot of people felt that way..

GTR!

Smash Journeyman

Yea good point but i mena we have all (and ii mean we as in everyone who uses WD as a technique, let it be WDing or Wavelanding) gotten used to the fast game play so it will just be different not bad

Wait, this thread is no joke. When was Wavedashing deconfirmed?
Exactly this is just forum how can we belive that digipen thread i mena i will belive WDing is out when i playh that game and i cannot do it any more

That digipen thread was ******** and lacked proof. Wavedashing still has a chance, so quit making assumptions.

QFT

im out

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Wrong place to ask this question Yoshi Fan. This thread is full of "anti-be good at the game" type of people. They'll just cry about cheating and wanting to be good blah blah. Go to your regional zone and ask anyone who goes to tournies. Basically wavedashing is very important if you want to be good. If you don't want to be good, like 90% of the people in this forum, don't worry about. ^_^
Like your nick, you have been sickness... for noobs. Every one plays like they want, end of the story. :S

In my regional zone almost all the people are anti-noobs, and very "competitive", i got baned of the forum for taking not-so-pro things and beinmg flamed about them (posibility of brawl without wdash/balancing characters/others). I play to be the best, and i use l
all techs and that stuff, but i CAN't see why Wdashing is SO important compared to shuffling or others, its only have no sense.

And i'm talking about smash in general: melee-brawl and other advanced techs of 64 melee brawl. But the main point is that about: Brawl without Wdash=Worse game than melee? I can't see it

NES n00b

Smash Master
Like your nick, you have been sickness...

In my regional zone almost all the people are anti-noobs. I play to be the best, and i use lal techs and that stuff, but i CAN't see why Wdashing is SO important compared to shuffling or others, its only have no sense.

And i'm talking about smash in general: melee-brawl and other advanced techs of 64 melee brawl. But the main point is that about: Brawl without Wdash=Worse game than melee? I can't see it
Why is it important to scrubs? Because it is the easiest to lay blame on since it is the easiest to see, that is why. When someone wavedashes, it looks like a glitch therefore it is easy to blame. That is why it is "important." Prowavedashers defend it because these people attack wavedashing and we all know that short hop and fast fall aren't going anywhere.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Removal of Wavedashing means players will have less options in mindgames, as well as making spacing harder and ruining things such as Waveshining and destroying all the potential in Luigi.

StevenM

Smash Apprentice
Tournytard.

Two reasons people attack Smash tournament players - assumptions about wavedashing, and assumptions about Dylan Tnga.

The wavedashing can depend on any number of issues, concerning how skilled the debaters are at playing a childrens' fighting game, how skilled they are at executing an 'exploitation' or how large said 'exploitation' is, said debaters' knowledge on the 'advanced techniques' used to turn a childrens' fighting game into serious business, whether the debaters need to abuse this system in order to win at all, or whatever.

Dylan on the other hand is just a complete **** and we have far more easy-to-access proof of that, e.g. actual quotes. He's pretty much redefined the image of butthurt tournytards.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Yea i hope some new Advanced tactics will be implimented but on the Short Fuse thread that got locked he posted a couple advanced tactics i had never heaerd of and has anyone heard of thses and sorry for this (noobish question) but still could someone elaborate??

Weaving
Overshooting
Turtling
Throttling
Perfect-Block Countering

NES n00b

Smash Master
Tournytard.
Why thank you. :)

I am guessing you are against wavedash because it is unfair or do you feel I hurt people's "feelings" when I use the term used by Sirlin?

As cute as this, scrub is not an offensive term. And the way people use tourneytard, it ins't offenisve either by how rediculous it is. :laugh:

Weaving: Doulbe lasering with Fox while DIing back
Perfect-Block Countering: Power Shield.

Everything else I have no idea.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The melee section is for you.

Lol the guys from 4chan are still here? They must have lots of free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom