• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How important do you think character movement and fluidity is?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

I like to incorporate fluidity to the characters I use, but that's probably just something I have reguarding aesthetics.

However, I would like to know what more adept players think on this manner. Is character fluidity really important? Also, what kind of tips do you have to improve character fluidity? As far as I know, there's Dash-Dancing...which I don't know any other use for other than this.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Our playstyle here in Europe is quite smooth, but it doesn't really get us far haha. As far as I'm concerned, good movement and flashy movement are different things. But being good at it doesn't hurt.

Pivot, glide toss, wavebounce and platform cancels are a must, and maybe B boosting if your character benefits from it. Dash dance is okay if your character leans a lot when he dashes (so he can use it to dodge things and not just taunt...). Most of the other techs are quite situational (is there anybody here who remembers instant walljumps ? xD)

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of European style. I want move well and flashy. I won't bother with playform canceling, though. ):
Also, what do you mean by "Pivot"? I know of Pivot Grabs, but...

TreK

Is "that guy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9eYjgR9g1o
It's basically the same as in Melee except harder and not as good. You cancel your dash at about three fourths of its length with a soft push back on your stick. It will make you perform a standing turnaround. You can do tilts, dsmashes and jabs backwards out of a dash thanks to it, so characters like MK, Marth, ZSS and Snake dig that technique. You can also dash again, which not only looks cool, but is pretty good considering it's much faster than waiting for the dash to end and dashing again.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Character movement and fluidity is one of the utmost important aspects to consider when choosing a new main or gaining insight towards the character that you currently use. For example I really enjoy playing Peach in Brawl due to all of her Out of Shield options through glide tossing and mobility through turnip cancelling on the edge, d-tilt glides, and ledge cancel floats. Having several options available for each response allows you to continuously keep your defensive game unpredictable and beneficial in forcing your opponent into defense.

If you feel that there are moments where you take damage cause of your lack of mobility, having a wide range of options will help negate the possibility of gaining that damage.

EDIT: LOL Instant WJs

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
They become a lot more important when you get to higher levels of play. If one of your options doesn't seamlessly pave the way for the next option, that's potentially a mistake that can be capitalized upon.

D

Deleted member 189823

Neat. I thought I was the only one paying attention to it and giving it actual importance.
I used to be able to tell someone's level simply by the way they move.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Moving fluidly is of capital importance. Supressing the lag animation of your movement will keep the momentum and the pressure on your side. This is why SHFFL and Autocanceling are so important to learn in Melee/Brawl. A lot of powerful moves in fighting games are completely disregarded exactly because they're way too laggy to follow-up with anything. They flat-out kill the fluidity you had/could've had if you used a faster move. TripleD's DownB or Link's non-SHHFL DAir are perfect examples.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I'm more than convinced that you're smart enough to understand what I meant.

Top Bottom