• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you trick someone into a CG?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I thought that, sometimes people might have trouble getting people into D3's CG (me). But can do it if they get the person in the grab. I was wondering if you guys could say how you usually trick people into a CG?

Tyser

Smash Champion
Once you perfect shield something, grab and go from there. I work off my perfect shield and thats pretty much it. Not sure if people still call it perfect shield anymore but you know what I mean.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know what you mean. Now it seems I need to tighten up my CG timing again, taking a day to master kirby wasn't the best thing for my D3 >.>

BlackWaive

Smash Rookie
Here's my chaingrabbing strategy...

1. Camp with Waddle Dees. If your opponent approaches with an attack, you can shield grab and get a full chain in.

If that doesn't work...

2. Approach with tilts, especially F-tilt. Eventually you will be face-to-face with your opponent, and a grab opportunity will arise. If your opponent tries to jump over you, counter with an aerial, especially B-air.

noodles

Smash Champion
something that might work is wait for a side dodge and once its done just grab him.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Here's my chaingrabbing strategy...

1. Camp with Waddle Dees. If your opponent approaches with an attack, you can shield grab and get a full chain in.

If that doesn't work...

2. Approach with tilts, especially F-tilt. Eventually you will be face-to-face with your opponent, and a grab opportunity will arise. If your opponent tries to jump over you, counter with an aerial, especially B-air.
This.

I play defensively, luring them to hit my shield. Once they do, it's chaingrabbing time.

RedSerpent55

Smash Rookie
Just like chaos, I play defensively, dodging and shield grabbing. tricking people with waddle dees is another thing that works for me.

noodles

Smash Champion
yeah, i mean, theres no way they can grab you while your in your shield

JST

Smash Apprentice
You guys are making it sound way too simple. :p

You'll have to be reading your opponent's movements, while you're doing everything you can to keep from getting hit and keeping them OUT. You simply just can't wait for them to hit your shield, as more often than not they'll be just out of grabbing range (If they're competent). You have to wait for your opponent to make a spacing mistake, like, they accidentally attack too close (At which you shield-grab), they land behind you (turnaround grab out of shield), they try and rush in and grab (Spotdodge+pivot grab), they leave themselves vulnerable (Run in and grab them), etc etc.

But really, those are just basic situations. You should be watching your opponent carefully, and you should know the perfect moments where a grab is appropriate. In this case, advice won't get you too far. It's more of an issue of your thought-process and seeing if you really can get that grab at all - factor in how fast you can get the opponent, whether they have or don't have enough lag to be grabbed without them reacting, distance, what they'll try to do if you run in and grab them, what they'll be doing if they attack your shield.... I'm just listing random stuff now, but in short form, you need to listen to your intuition and instinct. Recognize perfect opportunities to grab. And the best and probably only way to do this is to practice against real opponents.

Also, just random advice here, but try work on improving your DDD game outside of the constant Bair/CG/Waddle Dee spam. You might find opponents growing more comfortable with the idea with going in for the attack because the DDD isn't just sitting there with his shield up.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Well, good news is that I've gotten much much better at getting people into my CG, and its funny when you do one, then they roll into a Fsmash, best thing ever.

Now I'm just having a problem timing my CG to work with the fire emblem characters, I seem to be about frames off from the grab. I also need to work on my infinite, can only do it to Bowser, but not DK/Samus ext...

Top Bottom