• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you train alone?

_sAmUs_n00b_

Smash Cadet
What is a good way to practice with Samus when there is no one else to practice with? I know that comps aren't that great, mainly because they're so predictable! :ohwell: So please just give me some pointers if you can, and maybe tell me where i can find some good Videos of HugS or Wes at there best (Or any ither training video) Thank You ;)

co_and_me

Smash Lord
by reading the other training post that is like a few threads below this. OMG read something please.

spud

Smash Apprentice
Missile cancels

When practicing my Samus solo I usually go to platform levels and find situations to do missile cancels, and practing fast fall missile cancels and from edge missile cancels, basically I work on missile canceling. I hope I haven't said missile cancel to much. But missile cancels are freaking sweet. Also if you want to get really tricky practice the full hop double missile, it's cool because it causes a wall of missiley death with missile cancels to boot.

ak47

Smash Journeyman
spud said:
When practicing my Samus solo I usually go to platform levels and find situations to do missile cancels, and practing fast fall missile cancels and from edge missile cancels, basically I work on missile canceling. I hope I haven't said missile cancel to much. But missile cancels are freaking sweet. Also if you want to get really tricky practice the full hop double missile, it's cool because it causes a wall of missiley death with missile cancels to boot.
its just double missile but missile canceling is good. and really just practice combos out on level one coms and try them out on people when you get the chance. watching vids to understand moves are good.

ryanmercland

Smash Apprentice
I play street fighter aswell so I can super wave dash easy as ****.
That took a lot of practice and I still havent mastered it.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
it all depends on what you cant do. Obviously stuff like WD should be learned too. MC and double missle are good. Um SWD isnt super duper important. so yeah again just depends on where you are playing wise. If you want i can explain how to practise ledgeteching and meteror canceling.

Sensai

Smash Master
Assuming ya got the basics down (L-Cancelling/WD), try to work on the SWD and double missle jump.

And maybe goof around with bombs a bit. It's so predictable seeing a Samus come floating down on bombs. Learn to switch it up a bit.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
i would say MC then dual missle jump then beam cancle then SWD. I feel thats the order of important.

Jasona

Smash Ace
I often practice alone and it can be alot of fun
-practice chaining WD's. try to vary the distance of each WD, from the shortest to the farthest. Always try to go faster, continue minimizing the time between WD's and never believe that you've reached your maximum
-DJWD (double jump WD) onto/across platforms. walk/WD off of platforms and jump/FF/dodge. practice FFing through platforms as soon as you land on them.
-practice DDing and WDDing and combinations of the two at different lengths and speeds
-practice WDing between sheilds and WDing out of a sheild into an aerial and l-canceling it
-put it all together and fly around some random level (I highly recomend randomly visiting each tournament legal level

Takalth

Smash Ace
There is some value that can be gained from CPU battles. Whenever I learn a new technique (double missile jump, for example), once I've gotten it down in training, I do a few CPU battles and over-use the move, just to practice doing it under pressure.

You can't really judge the effectiveness of a move in a CPU game, but you can get accustomed to doing it when somebody's trying to hit you.

lceman

Smash Cadet
Honestly the best way to train with any character is to do a 99 stock match in melee against a lvl 1 CPU. You can pratice all of your advance techinques as well as some combos, because a lvl 1 is nothing more than a dI-ing dummy that sometimes recovers properly (depending on character).

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
lceman said:
Honestly the best way to train with any character is to do a 99 stock match in melee against a lvl 1 CPU. You can pratice all of your advance techinques as well as some combos, because a lvl 1 is nothing more than a dI-ing dummy that sometimes recovers properly (depending on character).
comps don't DI no matter what level they are and if you just want the comp to recover, might as well do training. besides you get infinity lives there.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
actually cpus do DI. It just depends. I think they dont DI the first hit from something but after that they will. You can try chain throwing and find the same. If you upthrow they wont di it once but then they will. It just depends on the situation though. I dont like training because i like my cstick.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
i guess, but they don't really DI there way out of combos, especially falling in the air. but i do agree the lack of cstick blows. I'd say do training for all technique practicing except when you're doing combos that need the cstick; otherwise level 1-9 can be in the way while trying to practice and that can get annoying...

Intolerance

Smash Rookie
co_and_me said:
it all depends on what you cant do. Obviously stuff like WD should be learned too. MC and double missle are good. Um SWD isnt super duper important. so yeah again just depends on where you are playing wise. If you want i can explain how to practise ledgeteching and meteror canceling.
i wouldn't mind.

Sensai

Smash Master
Call up your girlfriend, and then drag her to your house and make her play against your God-Awesome Fox.

That's what I do, at least.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
ok soooo when no one is around I have my methods of practising and i have been asked to share them. Some of them are known but some are just nice to hear. For combos i use a level 1 cpu. Its just to get the feel for how far the character will move. If I am trying something like SWD where the cpu gets in my way i will turn on a second play and select a character. Then i can make them stand out of my way. like stadium and they have to stand on a platform.
ledge teching practise- do to training mode and get a motion sensor bomb. The jump over the ledge and drop the bomb on the edge. You can then second jump and upb. You should try to sweet spot the ledge with your upb. Then if you do sweet spot and the bomb is on top of the level you will explode the bomb and you will still grab the ledge. If you hold L R or Z 20 frames before you get hit then you will tech. You can then hit up and wall jump then air dodge on the stage. I think thats the fastest and safest way back on from a tech. But if you just try to sweet spot up b again you can. Just make sure that when you practise this you try to sweet spot. Because if you use the up b where you will go over the ledge a good player will let you go over the ledge and then smash you. you will be able to practise the teching if you would have over shot the ledge because you explode. But against a player you have to tech the hit so you have to make them hit you when you are still by the ledge. ie try to sweet spot while practiseing I cant say it enough.

meteor practise- I use a level 9 mario. Then WD back away from him and ftilt a few fireballs. Then jump off the stage while facing away from the stage. Then bomb once. Dont bomb jump. Just lay one bomb. Then second jump into his fair. Then meteor cancle with upb. I set the time to like 10 mins to practise this. But once you figure out when to jump off the level you are golden. Also mario is stupid and will jump off the stage and then up b the wrong way. I personally ftilt him just to save him. So i dont have to wait for respawn. So jump off bomb once then second jump into fair.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
thanks co, i play mario a lot and i noticed that when i switched to doc mar, he actually recovers. I know doc mar's hit knocks you up (yeah yeah hahahahaa) so i guess i'm not sure if it's tech. a meteor smash, but if it is, that relieves you from saving mario a billion times

co_and_me

Smash Lord
they DI in different situations and their di is predictable. IF you try to chain throw them they wont DI the first one then behind you then keep going behind you.

Sensai

Smash Master
co_and_me said:
they DI in different situations and their di is predictable. IF you try to chain throw them they wont DI the first one then behind you then keep going behind you.
But, it's better then just having a punching bag in training mode.

madd eddie

Smash Rookie
i dont do it often witch is practice alone but i usually do alot of wavedasing and l cancel

W.Jr

Smash Lord
What you can do if you practice by yourself spam on you move. Like L caneling

all the move you use that are needed in a match. Then you should try them on the

characters not the computers. :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick:

The Bino

Smash Lord
i personally am always workin on my evasive skills, mind games and stuff like that, i will play against 3 lv 9 Cpus... with them on teams, and team attack off

I know that Co and Me is gonna disagree with this, but fighting 3 cpus at once and if ur able to beat all three u will get more evasive and beable to DI well and make it back decently, at least the main theme bout comin back and will beable to learn how to sweet spot, and u should beable to use all ur evasive techs u learn in a regular match with ur friends

Scizor11

Smash Cadet
here is one i do often. I go face a level 9 computer in the "pit" section of hyrule temple (the spot where u can easily get to 300% damage and still live because of walls). I practice my wavedashing there, its extremely easy to practice teching, u can practice powershielding against weapons from some characters, and other characters, like marth, u might even be able to try to tech out of their throws since the throws have to hit u off the ground first. Obviously, i try not to be cheap by automatically wasting their repetitive attacking style. U can also try out all ur combos on them, as sometimes ur combos that u are simply trying to learn will hit. Plus powershielding can be useful in a junkload of battles. Especially samus dittos, lol.

Of course, i would get wasted by a good amount of the smash players out there, but thats simply because i never really get to play against humans (hence all the reaction timing training, and also the combo practice training).

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Practice SWD, rising grapple, and.......double/triple missiling. Those are the only truly difficult things to do as a Samus.

Isn't the SHFFMC difficult? And I never really found rising grapple that difficult, as long as you keep holding the dodge button and use A instead of Z. Placing it can be difficult though.

Top Bottom