• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you plan to play online?

loungeact404

Smash Cadet
The Wii LAN Adapter is coming out on in early January, but most people have already hooked up their Wireless Routers and are on their Wiis. I'm thinking about possibly getting a wireless router but then again there's the Wii LAN Adapter that might ensure better ping stability than wireless. What are you guys planning on doing and why?

beebee

Smash Apprentice
I already have a wireless router so ill play with that. I shouldn't be to different from the adapter.

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
No, there's a LAN Adapter for wired connections. You plug a Cat6 cable coming from your modem/router into the adapter and then into the USB slot of the Wii. I still don't have a internet conenction for the Wii.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
I got my Nintendo Wifi USB connector for Christmas, so I should be good.

As for when Brawl actually comes out, I expect to win during the first few months of its initial release, then steadily go down as more players exploit fine tuned glitches that have to be pulled off in a 3 milisecond window that can't be blocked and results in instant death.

But if there are no glitches, I might actually enter tournaments.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
Does this mean Online has been confirmed now? I haven't been really following SSB:Brawl lately.

I already have a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector,and it works just fine,so i'm set for brawl.

But specifically how Brawl will be played online..no one knows yet.

BTW,does anyone know how to put text under your name?(where smash lord is),call me ****** but i never figured it out.^_^

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I don't play games online often, just because of the great number of n00bs out there who are likely to disconnect in the middle of the game because they are losing. I prefer to play with friends who are more sensible.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Pit 24 is right how will they deal with other people disconnecting because the are losing?
and will you be able ot press start in a wireless battle because that can be annoying when some presses start to take a long dump and your their for hours ant knowing when he will resume or if they are just doing it on purpose just to get wins

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Pit 24 is right how will they deal with other people disconnecting because the are losing?
and will you be able ot press start in a wireless battle because that can be annoying when some presses start to take a long dump and your their for hours ant knowing when he will resume or if they are just doing it on purpose just to get wins
I think it will mark them as they lost if they disconnect, and also pause would be disabled when you where online.

sytrix

Smash Rookie
i don't have internet on my wii but I am soon getting something called a wifi max that's can connect the wii and ds to the internet. it's made by datel, by the way.

loungeact404

Smash Cadet
i don't have internet on my wii but I am soon getting something called a wifi max that's can connect the wii and ds to the internet. it's made by datel, by the way.
eh, I have that, and would advise against it...I tampered with it for a long time and couldn't get it to work. It's really a piece of trash. For nearly the same price, you could get a fully-functional wireless router that completely dominates the WiFi Max garbage. Search NewEgg for "WRT54GL" - it's made by Linksys.

sytrix

Smash Rookie
yeah. i got it and tried to get it to work for over an hour. no luck. what a piece of trash.

Specialized

Smash Rookie
I have a Netgear wireless router and it's phenominal. My Wii is upstairs and my pc downstairs and the connection is great! Surfing the web on the Wii is probly even loads faster on it too. I can't wait to play SSBB online, imagine all the possibilites.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I aleady get wireless internet from my Buffalo router. All i have to do is turn on my airport on my laptop which I use often. I won't have any trouble going online with my Wii when i get one!

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I already have a wireless setup so ill be using that.Plus it's really near my TV.Ill be a happy man come brawl time. 24 hours a day SMASH,SMASH,SMASH!

sytrix

Smash Rookie
just buy a wii travel kit and bring your wii to a friends house or someplace that does have internet. that would be a hastle though. but i've brought my wii to 5 different places without a travel kit so it might work.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
I think it will mark them as they lost if they disconnect, and also pause would be disabled when you where online.
that or each person gets a certain # of pauses that lasts for a certain amount of time each, that way if sumone really did have to go to the bathroom they could pause it and it would last like 2 minutes or sumthin

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Hosts should be able to choose whether you can pause or not, they should choose how many pauses each person gets (if that's even an option) so they don't spam pauses to throw off the game.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
its sounds cool so now we can play against ppl overseas i'll prolly juss get the wii router
That sounds good, but I'm really wondering what kind of role lag will play in SSBB? Will it really be fun to play people with over 40 ms ping in a game where 40 ms can throw off the timing for many moves (unless the person can't time for crap anyway)? 40 ms is nothing... overseas you're looking at 100-200ms.

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
Yea im really not getting my hopes to high about online brawl. The service is free? When was the last time something free was exeptional? There will be lag, there will be glitchs, your search system to find a game will be terrible because god forbid you could talk to someone online. This is how i see it. Like the ds online. Who actually played that? Mario kart for example. To find a random matchup you searched. The search would take at least 5 minutes and then people would drop or get disconnected. And there was unbelievable lag. Opponents carts would jump around like crazy. Now im sure nintendo wont let that happen for wii. They just cant. What i want from them is an online system just like warcraft 3. That was absolutly perfect. You have a random search button that didn't take long at all. You could search 1v1, 2v2, ffa. (and 3v3 and 4v4 but not for brawl). Or if you wanted you could do Arranged teams. Find a parter you like to play with and then you two are paired up agianst a random team. Also the channels they had. Multiple lobbyies, clans to join. I would die and go to heaven if Brawls online worked like that.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
If my Wii can get a good connection from my router, I won't use the WiFi adapter. My DS gets 1/3 to 2/3 bars in there. Does anyone know if the Wii has a longer range than the DS?

sytrix

Smash Rookie
i would assume the wii would have a longer range but i don't know for sure.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me how exactly the "Wii USB connector thingy" works? What about plugging the Wii directly into an ethernet port? Or is that what it is... I would just like to know how to get internet if you don't have wireless, only ethernet ports on your computer/wall. A link to one of these products would be sweet too.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...so you're plugging this thing in to your PC's USB. So from what I've gathered on my own, this is how it works. Correct me if i'm wrong: You have an ethernet cable running from a jack on the wall to your computer, giving your computer an internet (broadband?) connection. You then plug the WiFi adapter into the USB port on your computer, which uses your computer's connection to create a "WiFi" connection with your Wii, allowing it to go online. Is that right?

Goetz

Smash Rookie
Yea im really not getting my hopes to high about online brawl. The service is free? When was the last time something free was exeptional? There will be lag, there will be glitchs, your search system to find a game will be terrible because god forbid you could talk to someone online. This is how i see it. Like the ds online. Who actually played that? Mario kart for example. To find a random matchup you searched. The search would take at least 5 minutes and then people would drop or get disconnected. And there was unbelievable lag. Opponents carts would jump around like crazy. Now im sure nintendo wont let that happen for wii. They just cant. What i want from them is an online system just like warcraft 3. That was absolutly perfect. You have a random search button that didn't take long at all. You could search 1v1, 2v2, ffa. (and 3v3 and 4v4 but not for brawl). Or if you wanted you could do Arranged teams. Find a parter you like to play with and then you two are paired up agianst a random team. Also the channels they had. Multiple lobbyies, clans to join. I would die and go to heaven if Brawls online worked like that.

I don't know how you found the DS online play so bad... I play DS online all the time. Mainly Tetris DS and Mario Kart DS (I pwn at Tetris lol). I have a wireless router and I can play anywhere in my house, and I never have any problems with lag, even when playing Japanese players.

Since SSBB only supports 4 players, lag shouldn't be much of a problem. Sure Super Smash Bros. games can get hectic, but compared to most online games, the levels are small, the gameplay itself is 2D (compared to most online games in 3D), and there are a small amount of players playing in one game. And yes, no doubt it will be free. If Sony can have Resistance: Fall of Man online for free with 40 players, then I'm sure Nintendo can do SSBB with 4 players.

Top Bottom