• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you manage to have fun on Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

This is a game full of hitboxes and knockback that I highly disagree with, massive use of nigh-untechable stage spiking, and other infuriating factors. I have tried to have fun with the game despite fighting players no lower than Semi-Pro level; I have tried to play these top-high tier beasts that slay me; I have tried to practice my mains at the very core; I have tried to outwit my opponents; I have taken multiple breaks; I even meditated, yet the pain threshold can't hold.

I really don't understand how people who lose a lot can have fun with this game online. "It's just a game", they say. What does that even mean? How is that supposed to help me? Between improving to fix my slump and trying to have fun with this game, I don't even know why I continue to play. Obsession, perfectionism, and aversion to inferiority is what people say.

Seriously, how is anyone able to get bodied and still be able to say or accept a "GG"?

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is a game full of hitboxes and knockback that I highly disagree with, massive use of nigh-untechable stage spiking, and other infuriating factors. I have tried to have fun with the game despite fighting players no lower than Semi-Pro level; I have tried to play these top-high tier beasts that slay me; I have tried to practice my mains at the very core; I have tried to outwit my opponents; I have taken multiple breaks; I even meditated, yet the pain threshold can't hold.

I really don't understand how people who lose a lot can have fun with this game online. "It's just a game", they say. What does that even mean? How is that supposed to help me? Between improving to fix my slump and trying to have fun with this game, I don't even know why I continue to play. Obsession, perfectionism, and aversion to inferiority is what people say.

Seriously, how is anyone able to get bodied and still be able to say or accept a "GG"?
You don't feel the same when you lose an offline game?

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
Semi-casual perspective here: in a particularly similar situation. For me it’s not only enjoying a small but sure sense of progression of trying new things and sometimes seeing it pay off, but I guess also enjoy the times I actually can enjoy online. Although it’s rare Not everyone is absolutely horrible to fight.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Might I recommend you Street Fighter V to try out? There’s a two-week free trial for it happening now. If you want a fun, easy-to-play fighting game then look no further.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I've been following this community for months now,but I've never really bothered to register.But after seeing you voice your grievances constantly about your struggle to find enjoyment in this game, I thought it was time for me to step out of the shadows.
First thing first, give me a range of your best gsp (it can be exact if you feel comfortable saying).
With that said here are a plothera of ways I find enjoyment and get good better. (though I do share the majoirty opinion here in that this online mode sucks MONKEY BALLS AND WHOEVER WAS THE ONLINE DEVOLPER FOR THIS GAME SHOULD BE FIRED, ALL OF THEM! WHY WOULD YOU TEAR DOWN EVERYTHING YOU DID IN SMASH 4 JUST TO MAKE AN INFERIOR ONLINE SYSTEM. IMBECILE OF DEVOLPERS. EVERYTHING ON THIS ONLINE MODE (MOSTLY) IS STRAIGHT INFERIOR IN CONCEPT TO SMASH 4! IDC WHAT ANYONE SAYS! Rant over)
1. Find a standard. Play a little and see the standard for yourself. I call it scientific testing. Sample like 10 games and see you where you stack up. For example, my win rate standard is 50% in this gsp range. Or I win 30% of my game usually in this mode, or I win 70% in this gsp range. Once you know this standard, EXCEPT IT and try to set a goal of playing up to it.
2. Make sure you use controls you are comfortable with, and make sure to give it time. Having controls you quite don't feel comfortable is going to limit your potential.
3. Be "superstitious". Esstiantly, be observant. Understand certain things you do when you win, and dissect that with certains things you do when you lose. Don't do those things if you lose, and do those things when you win. For example, if I'm going to play serious one on one, I don't eat or be on my phone My concentration is on one on one. When I play causally, then I eat or drink. But I make sure to drink water during serious play, it helps me better concentrate.
4. Find a "coping measure". Finds certain things that help you cope in the heat of pressure and like a tight one-on-one game. For me, it's my relgious beleifs because I'm religious. Find what allows you to cope in pressure.
5. Erm.... find a main that you play best as. Don't worry about how it ranks in smash (at least don't worry about it too much..... people who play as inklings....SMH....just get carried by Rug game). I play a boweser JR. (specifcally Lemmy) and my gsp is at 5.950.000 and bowser jr is unopoular. So find your main and perfect him. Play the best character for you, not what esstiantly is listed as best. Though you can use that as a guide.
Those are the best I can think of at the momment, tell me what you think.

Edit: Play easier modes so you can gain confidence. For example, I try to go to team battle when I can because I tend to be very good at team battle. It helps me build some inner clout for myself so I can have the confidence to go and bash some heads in online 1v1 battle!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

First thing first, give me a range of your best gsp (it can be exact if you feel comfortable saying).
My GSP range is almost at 4,600,000. This isn't something I really pay attention to though.
1. Find a standard. Play a little and see the standard for yourself. I call it scientific testing. Sample like 10 games and see you where you stack up. For example, my win rate standard is 50% in this gsp range. Or I win 30% of my game usually in this mode, or I win 70% in this gsp range. Once you know this standard, EXCEPT IT and try to set a goal of playing up to it.
Not sure what you mean by this, but out of 2111 games, I've won 916 of them. Is this supposed to mean something?
2. Make sure you use controls you are comfortable with, and make sure to give it time. Having controls you quite don't feel comfortable is going to limit your potential.
I may have to try this. I have a hard time pulling out quick up tilts.
3. Be "superstitious". Esstiantly, be observant. Understand certain things you do when you win, and dissect that with certains things you do when you lose. Don't do those things if you lose, and do those things when you win. For example, if I'm going to play serious one on one, I don't eat or be on my phone My concentration is on one on one. When I play causally, then I eat or drink. But I make sure to drink water during serious play, it helps me better concentrate.
It's cliche, but I usually do well when I'm "in the zone". If I'm not high on energy or mood, my game suffers for it.
4. Find a "coping measure". Finds certain things that help you cope in the heat of pressure and like a tight one-on-one game. For me, it's my relgious beleifs because I'm religious. Find what allows you to cope in pressure.
I honestly can't work well under pressure. What are you trying to say exactly?
5. Erm.... find a main that you play best as. Don't worry about how it ranks in smash (at least don't worry about it too much..... people who play as inklings....SMH....just get carried by Rug game). I play a boweser JR. (specifcally Lemmy) and my gsp is at 5.950.000 and bowser jr is unopoular. So find your main and perfect him. Play the best character for you, not what esstiantly is listed as best. Though you can use that as a guide.
Those are the best I can think of at the momment, tell me what you think.
I've played multiple characters, with some going into Elite (Only Joker is currently in). Before Joker, my stats point to King K. Rool, who I've lost faith in time and again because I hate losing.

I'm not sure if I want to get better. I'm already pretty good; I just want to have fun with the game, but it's difficult.
You don't feel the same when you lose an offline game?
Offline, it's less painful because I'm not put up against other players. Online triggers me so much because each consistent loss makes me feel worthless, as if practicing was a waste of time. Offline is less serious mode-playing (Spirits, I can try again, unlike some players I wish revenge on), which makes it more fun.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I basically have no fun when im losing as well, but i don't get mad specifically at the game design. I get mad at how terrible online is. Like if im on a losing streak and i get a BS stage with items against some lagging Ganon, i have to leave or controllers will be damaged. I once got a Cloud on the pirate ship level while playing a character that I really prefer to go offstage with (like my win condition is edge guarding in the MU) and the turd floats in the god damn water and just can't die to anything but a hard read. I lost, and felt like i got completely scummed out and it was just a terrible experience that I have no desire to participate in. That is the type of BS that is completely insufferable for me.

Last edited:

AbsyntheMinded

Smash Rookie
I basically have no fun when im losing as well, but i don't get mad specifically at the game design. I get mad at how terrible online is. Like if im on a losing streak and i get a BS stage with items against some lagging Ganon, i have to leave or controllers will be damaged. I once got a Cloud on the pirate ship level while playing a character that I really prefer to go offstage with (like my win condition is edge guarding in the MU) and the turd floats in the god damn water and just can't die to anything but a hard read. I lost, and felt like i got completely scummed out and it was just a terrible experience that I have no desire to participate in. That is the type of BS that is completely insufferable for me.
Bahahaha I can so totally relate to this one. You get a few bad or close losses. You're upset, and you tell yourself I'm def gonna turn it around this next game. Let's go.

And then boom get hit with the 3 minute smash ball, all items on high regular stage. Only difference is, for me it's generally sonics not ganons. The rage gets pretty real during those games. Best thing about it is, win or lose, you hit no on the rematch, requeue, and boom get that same sucker again.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Love how most people here ignore this poster's actual issues in favour of posting complaints done umpteen times in thread dedicated for it just to make themselves feel better or arrogantly assume everyone feels the same way as them.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Although I wouldn't say all that but yeah...

I manage to have fun if there's no lag issues. But I usually only play on and off these days as I'm working 60 hours a week on average.

@OP the answers you seek are personal to you. It's okay to admit Smash Ultimate isn't fun for you. There's no magic way to play the game that makes it fun, the game either is or isn't. I think your issue is truly with the whole game not just online. It may seem like that one mode needs fixing and all will be good but really that's not the case... I think for you fun is just not in the game this go around.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Love how most people here ignore this poster's actual issues in favour of posting complaints done umpteen times in thread dedicated for it just to make themselves feel better or arrogantly assume everyone feels the same way as them.
Or that Nintendo's online has so many issues that I see people make topics about this all the time

D

Deleted member

@OP the answers you seek are personal to you. It's okay to admit Smash Ultimate isn't fun for you. There's no magic way to play the game that makes it fun, the game either is or isn't. I think your issue is truly with the whole game not just online. It may seem like that one mode needs fixing and all will be good but really that's not the case... I think for you fun is just not in the game this go around.
Okay. Fine. I gain almost no fun from this game in general, and I was really hyped for its release. What I don't know is how Smash 4 was fun for me, but Smash Ultimate isn't. Maybe this came from my losing streaks from Overwatch, which I got after selling Smash 4, and my obsession for redemption and revenge carried over to this game.

Even winning stopped being fun, simply because these streaks lowered my morale, so I go into battle with "I already lost this". Then if I win, no matter by how much, I smile a bit, but it fades seconds later.

By this point, it's almost like I bought a game that fails to satisfy me.

J.I.L

Okay. Fine. I gain almost no fun from this game in general, and I was really hyped for its release. What I don't know is how Smash 4 was fun for me, but Smash Ultimate isn't. Maybe this came from my losing streaks from Overwatch, which I got after selling Smash 4, and my obsession for redemption and revenge carried over to this game.

Even winning stopped being fun, simply because these streaks lowered my morale, so I go into battle with "I already lost this". Then if I win, no matter by how much, I smile a bit, but it fades seconds later.

By this point, it's almost like I bought a game that fails to satisfy me.
Dude I’m actually quite disappointed. You are well in elite smash with your best character, as well as having muiltiple people in elite smash. And you sit here and sob about how you feel bad about losing and how “get good” doesn’t help even though, according to you, you are already really good in this game. Please, if next time you’re going to sob and make people feel sorry for you. Can you at least provide them with information that your best player is in the top 2% percentile of all online smash players and you have multiple people in elite smash.

Goodness, there are people out there who bust their tails just to try to get their best character into elite smash. So you don’t have it the worst. What it seems to be here is you are just ungrateful for what you got. Complaining about how pitiful this online system is one thing, crying about how to get good and how your enjoyment “suffer” when when you lose or how you struggle to esstinly win games (at least that is how you portray it) only to be as good is just abhorrent. It’s like a rich kid saying he doesn’t feel good and life is touch and people should listen to his sob story.
And this is coming from someone is affluent.
So give me a break. If you don’t like the game don’t play it.
Simple.
And since I waisted my time setting up a account to help someone who looks like don’t even need it, I’ll probably be deleting this thing soon.

Or that Nintendo's online has so many issues that I see people make topics about this all the time
Thanks for dismissing my rant just say the same thing twice on a different thread.

D

Deleted member

Dude I’m actually quite disappointed. You are well in elite smash with your best character, as well as having muiltiple people in elite smash. And you sit here and sob about how you feel bad about losing and how “get good” doesn’t help even though, according to you, you are already really good in this game. Please, if next time you’re going to sob and make people feel sorry for you. Can you at least provide them with information that your best player is in the top 2% percentile of all online smash players and you have multiple people in elite smash.
Did you misinterpret me? Multiple characters have been in Elite, but only one is currently in (Joker), and he's not even my best character. I'm good, but not great. There's a fine line. I'm lingering around average skill.

And did you not read that fun is what I really want from this game? Trying to "git gud" so I could quit losing sapped all the fun, and now I can't have any fun with Ultimate. And I can't bring myself to stop playing a game I really want to have fun with.

God, I am trying my best to not sound like a whiner, but each person who says I am worsens my already low mood and morale. It's like they don't understand or even care about my dilemma.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
My GSP range is almost at 4,600,000. This isn't something I really pay attention to though.

Not sure what you mean by this, but out of 2111 games, I've won 916 of them. Is this supposed to mean something?

I may have to try this. I have a hard time pulling out quick up tilts.

It's cliche, but I usually do well when I'm "in the zone". If I'm not high on energy or mood, my game suffers for it.

I honestly can't work well under pressure. What are you trying to say exactly?

I've played multiple characters, with some going into Elite (Only Joker is currently in). Before Joker, my stats point to King K. Rool, who I've lost faith in time and again because I hate losing.

I'm not sure if I want to get better. I'm already pretty good; I just want to have fun with the game, but it's difficult.

Offline, it's less painful because I'm not put up against other players. Online triggers me so much because each consistent loss makes me feel worthless, as if practicing was a waste of time. Offline is less serious mode-playing (Spirits, I can try again, unlike some players I wish revenge on), which makes it more fun.
dude so all this time you were whining and crying about losing while you have some characters over 4.0 mil? sorry if i am gonna be harsh but then you are just being a immature attention seeker, it's like a rich person whining over silly things,

i am not even into elite nor do i care if i ever will, i consider myself good enough, but when i see people who are really good whining like you do cause of a few bad days..then i just can't feel bad for you i really can't,
plz just stop whining on all your bad days while you already have elite and characters in the 4 mil range -.-

there are people who are stuck in 1/2/3 mil and will never get out of it cause they just do not have that skill for 4.0 mil..and then you show up with your 4 mil character being in elite but still whining about how much you lose..tbh it really rubs me the wrong way

D

Deleted member

dude so all this time you were whining and crying about losing while you have some characters over 4.0 mil? sorry if i am gonna be harsh but then you are just being a immature attention seeker, it's like a rich person whining over silly things,

i am not even into elite nor do i care if i ever will, i consider myself good enough, but when i see people who are really good whining like you do cause of a few bad days..then i just can't feel bad for you i really can't,
plz just stop whining on all your bad days while you already have elite and characters in the 4 mil range -.-

there are people who are stuck in 1/2/3 mil and will never get out of it cause they just do not have that skill for 4.0 mil..and then you show up with your 4 mil character being in elite but still whining about how much you lose..tbh it really rubs me the wrong way
Again, you don't understand the real issue here. GSP and being good isn't the issue. It's the lack of fun I have online due to these losing streaks. I am asking how to have fun with this game despite the losing streaks, but people are avoiding this question, so I continue to feel crummy.

And frankly, your harshness makes me feel worse.

J.I.L

You're well above average if you have someone in elite smash. Just look at your roster gsp. If you're really an average online player in total scope, your roster gsp should be around 2.35 million gsp. That's 50% percentile.
You honestly don't need coddling at this point, you need to be groomed into the mindset of a ruthless warrior elite.Imo, you're too soft and ungrateful. You need to find enjoyment in WINNING. That's a big reason why smash online is so important to me. The competition excites me. When I win, I'm happy and thankful. When I lose, I get angry and take a break. But that loss only makes my apaetitie and taste for competition grow. You have to have fun in beating other players. That's the point of competition, if you don't like it. Don't take part in the compeition and go find less stressful things to do. Play spirit mode, or just goof around onoffline. Or go to BA and play playground mode. That's what I do. After I put in a good work of ruthless quickplay, I relax and head over to battle arena playground mode and just do taunt parties (though it sometimes sucks since the owners are soft as charmin ultra soft tissue paper) and boot you out - another reason why this online mode sucks). Carpamentalize your feelings. Apply your attitudes to differnt modes and things will become more clear. I don't say this to make you feel better, but you really shouldn't have low morale. You're ahead of so many people. You're not the worst. the Highest gsp you can get in this game is estimated to be around 4,673,400 Divide your gsp number by that number. And then substract that value to 1. That tells me what percentile I'm in. If you're above average take heart. If you're 70% percentile. Know you are ahead like 100,000s of players and are above 30% of all smash players. EVEN IF YOUR GSP IS 1. Take heart because you are really close to exclipsing the person at gsp number 2. LOL. Think small and simple and work your way up. Be grateful and look to improve.

I think the problem is you look at these forums users talk down about gsp (for good reason I assume) and say if you're not like this far into elite smash, you aren't that good. Or elite smash isn't that good and scrubs can make it. Ignore those people. It's like people who go to yale saying that people in UVA aren't really that smart. Ignore all of them and just be grateful where you are and improve. Take honor and joy in winning, irregardless of what elitist may think, and take heart in loss.

You'd be wise to adhere to these words bro. This is some of the wisest and most "woke" things you'll ever get in this forum.

That's 100% facts only. That's what I tried to tell the dude. He needs tough encouragment at this point, not babyfying mommy craddle.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
You guys are straw manning the **** out of the OP. He's not whining about anything in particular outside of a vague comment about disagreeing with hitboxes. He's been pretty clear, multiple times, on what he's saying / asking and you guys are quite literally just making **** up. putting words in his mouth. It is entirely dishonest and obnoxious, but I completely understand why you do it. You see a thread that looks like an easy target - a "good player" complaining about something.

JIL, you have 7 messages on smash boards ffs. and 5 of them are in this thread. You literally logged in just to preach nonsense and hijack a thread. Try addressing his actual points / questions instead of beating on a straw man.

D

Deleted member

You're well above average if you have someone in elite smash. Just look at your roster gsp. If you're really an average online player in total scope, your roster gsp should be around 2.35 million gsp. That's 50% percentile.
You honestly don't need coddling at this point, you need to be groomed into the mindset of a ruthless warrior elite.Imo, you're too soft and ungrateful. You need to find enjoyment in WINNING. That's a big reason why smash online is so important to me. The competition excites me. When I win, I'm happy and thankful. When I lose, I get angry and take a break. But that loss only makes my apaetitie and taste for competition grow. You have to have fun in beating other players. That's the point of competition, if you don't like it. Don't take part in the compeition and go find less stressful things to do. Play spirit mode, or just goof around onoffline. Or go to BA and play playground mode. That's what I do. After I put in a good work of ruthless quickplay, I relax and head over to battle arena playground mode and just do taunt parties (though it sometimes sucks since the owners are soft as charmin ultra soft tissue paper) and boot you out - another reason why this online mode sucks). Carpamentalize your feelings. Apply your attitudes to differnt modes and things will become more clear. I don't say this to make you feel better, but you really shouldn't have low morale. You're ahead of so many people. You're not the worst. the Highest gsp you can get in this game is estimated to be around 4,673,400 Divide your gsp number by that number. And then substract that value to 1. That tells me what percentile I'm in. If you're above average take heart. If you're 70% percentile. Know you are ahead like 100,000s of players and are above 30% of all smash players. EVEN IF YOUR GSP IS 1. Take heart because you are really close to exclipsing the person at gsp number 2. LOL. Think small and simple and work your way up. Be grateful and look to improve.

I think the problem is you look at these forums users talk down about gsp (for good reason I assume) and say if you're not like this far into elite smash, you aren't that good. Or elite smash isn't that good and scrubs can make it. Ignore those people. It's like people who go to yale saying that people in UVA aren't really that smart. Ignore all of them and just be grateful where you are and improve. Take honor and joy in winning, irregardless of what elitist may think, and take heart in loss.

You'd be wise to adhere to these words bro. This is some of the wisest and most "woke" things you'll ever get in this forum.
I wasn't sure how to subtract what I got to one. What I got was 0.9839022981127231. Does that put me in the 98% percentile?

You guys are straw manning the **** out of the OP. He's not whining about anything in particular outside of a vague comment about disagreeing with hitboxes. He's been pretty clear, multiple times, on what he's saying / asking and you guys are quite literally just making **** up. putting words in his mouth. It is entirely dishonest and obnoxious, but I completely understand why you do it. You see a thread that looks like an easy target - a "good player" complaining about something.

JIL, you have 7 messages on smash boards ffs. and 5 of them are in this thread. You literally logged in just to preach nonsense and hijack a thread. Try addressing his actual points / questions instead of beating on a straw man.
JIL is kinda right though, about the GSP part and my feelings toward certain modes.

J.I.L

User was warned for this post: double-posting

Mic-Squirrtle, who are you?
And I'm just trying to help the guy out. I've been following you guys for months now and just been observant. I've seen most of the big threads about smash online ultimate. I'm quite attuned the grievance this Zard guy has. Just trying to help, that's all. And as he said, I have a point. And how the heck do you reply to more then one person at a time? I have to double post to reply to people.

I wasn't sure how to subtract what I got to one. What I got was 0.9839022981127231. Does that put me in the 98% percentile?

JIL is kinda right though, about the GSP part and my feelings toward certain modes.
So whatever your gsp is. You divide it by the 4.43 or whatever heck the number I said above. So (your gsp)/(4,672,400). Once you get the value of that, you substract it to 1. So 1 - (that value of your gsp/4,672,400). That'll get you your percentile. So if you're at 98% percentile.... yikes.....you need to get better. My roster gsp is about 4.200.000 so..... 4.2 mil/ 4.6724 mil = .9 .(This means i'm above 90% of all online players)....... so........ 1.0 - .9 = .1 (this means 10% of players are ahead of me) so I'm at 10th percentile among all online users. My best character is 4.600.000. So with all that math work skipped, at my best: I'm a 1.6th percentile. Which is above 2% which is really really good imo. Heck, if you're in elite smash, you're a top 3.5% player in all of online smash.

D

Deleted member

So whatever your gsp is. You divide it by the 4.43 or whatever heck the number I said above. So (your gsp)/(4,672,400). Once you get the value of that, you substract it to 1. So 1 - (that value of your gsp/4,672,400). That'll get you your percentile. So if you're at 98% percentile.... yikes.....you need to get better. My roster gsp is about 4.200.000 so..... 4.2 mil/ 4.6724 mil = .9 .(This means i'm above 90% of all online players)....... so........ 1.0 - .9 = .1 (this means 10% of players are ahead of me) so I'm at 10th percentile among all online users. My best character is 4.600.000. So with all that math work skipped, at my best: I'm a 1.6th percentile. Which is above 2% which is really really good imo. Heck, if you're in elite smash, you're a top 3.5% player in all of online smash.
I tried again; I got 0.02. So 2%?

Also, to reply to more than one thing, what I do is quote one thing, and then quote another thing in that same reply by clicking reply. The mods don't like double posts.

J.I.L

Hey-hay! Horay! Good for you. Yes that is correct. That means you are above 98% of all players online with that character or roster.

Oh they don't, okay i'll try to quote. Though I don't know how to, but I believe i'll figure it out.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Mic-Squirrtle, who are you?
And I'm just trying to help the guy out. I've been following you guys for months now and just been observant. I've seen most of the big threads about smash online ultimate. I'm quite attuned the grievance this Zard guy has. Just trying to help, that's all. And as he said, I have a point. And how the heck do you reply to more then one person at a time? I have to double post to reply to people.
Sorry, but you're both attacking him for being a "whiner" and "immature attention seeker". He never said that he has issues with getting better, which is the entire framework of your posts. He specified dealing with losing, which sucks no matter your rating. In fact, I don't see how his skill level is even relevant to the discussion. We all play the game, just against better or worse players. Being at high GSP is not some sort of a privilege as if he is bathing in hundred dollar bills. If anything, it just qualifies his opinion of the game even further.

Also - be careful on your GSP calculations. A vast majority of the ladder for each character is fake rankings from players that have never even played the character before. It really makes GSP a worthless number, especially if referencing percentile. Like if you're top 10%, but 60% of the population has never played the character before, but is included in the data, its just garbage in garbage out. Its only useful for gauging skill at the very bottom and very top, where it takes quite an effort of winning or losing to get there.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman

no dude you are wrong, i see this dude in so many threads, and all he does is whining and crying about everything, and when people try to be nice and give him advice he won't do crap with it and just keeps whining, and now it turns out he already has ES ansd has multiple characters over 4 mil..hes a attention seeker period,
at some point people are done being nice and they will say exactly how it is, like i'm doing right now.

D

Deleted member

no dude you are wrong, i see this dude in so many threads, and all he does is whining and crying about everything, and when people try to be nice and give him advice he won't do crap with it and just keeps whining, and now it turns out he already has ES ansd has multiple characters over 4 mil..hes a attention seeker period,
at some point people are done being nice and they will say exactly how it is, like i'm doing right now.
You're completely insane if you think calling me an attention seeker (which I'm not) and treating me like some sort of close-minded Neanderthal is a good idea, as if it won't make me hate myself. I asked a blatant question (Read the title, ffs), yet you skim over it and choose to focus on how to git gud (which this thread isn't even about) and/or name calling.

I don't give a crud about GSP or Elite Smash. I want to know how to have fun with this game despite my loss streaks. What about this issue is so hard to understand?

AbsyntheMinded

Smash Rookie
the reason why people are jumping on the stop crying bandwagon and giving you no advice, is because i don't feel there is any advice to give in this situation.

No one on this forum knows you well enough, your personality, your state of mind, how things affect you. How could they possibly tell you how to have fun with a game? Do you suffer from a mental illness, are you a glass half empty instead of glass half full person? Can you not take things personal, or is every loss inextricably linked to your self esteem and how you view yourself? All these things are very relevant, yet we know none of this.

You want to get some solid advice, ask your friends, parents, siblings, anyone actually close to you. They at least know you, or enough about you to give a more insightful response.

I do not like this game's online mode. I think it's a **** show and in a lot of ways it ruins my enjoyment of the game. I do not enjoy playing this game ONLINE, and therefor don't play it often. Online being the key word. I thoroughly enjoy playing with my friends because of the competition, rivalry, but also the camaraderie and social aspect it brings.

Even if the online portion of this game was somehow fixed, I would still enjoy it less than I enjoy playing with friends, and subsequently play it less. I would play it, and I would accept that I'm just not going to have as much fun, and from time to time, I am just going to flat out feel like I am wasting my time playing online. But that's ok, because really i'm only looking to waste some time if i'm playing online smash.

If you're not having fun playing this game online or offline, stop playing it and move on to something else. Just because you want to enjoy something doesn't mean you will.

Last edited:

J.I.L

You're completely insane if you think calling me an attention seeker (which I'm not) and treating me like some sort of close-minded Neanderthal is a good idea, as if it won't make me hate myself. I asked a blatant question (Read the title, ffs), yet you skim over it and choose to focus on how to git gud (which this thread isn't even about) and/or name calling.

I don't give a crud about GSP or Elite Smash. I want to know how to have fun with this game despite my loss streaks. What about this issue is so hard to understand?
You shouldn't have fun when you're losing. Lol. Another example o my superstiotion, everytime I laugh when I lose. I lose more. Hence, I don't laugh that much when I lose anymore or I catch myself because you shouldn't be okay with losing. To answer your question, you should not be happy losing. You should try to get better and void yourself of less losses. But in same breathe, you shouldn't kill yourself if you lose either or you'll just continue to lose. The emotion of anger, and loss isn't bad - it's how you enternalize it that is.

D

Deleted member

Do you suffer from a mental illness, are you a glass half empty instead of glass half full person? Can you not take things personal, or is every loss inextricably linked to your self esteem and how you view yourself? All these things are very relevant, yet we know none of this.
To answer: I'm vulnerable to depression, I'm a glass half-empty, I'm not very thick skinned (unless there's no competition, which Smash is), and losing is tied to these issues. All of these are why I can't have fun with this game, and apparently, as you said, it can't be fixed.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman

i am not blind dude, but don't think all of your past posts are all of a sudden forgotten just because you make a new thread,
and i can easily answer your so called question..if you don't have fun and knowing from your past posts you probably won't in the future either..DO NOT PLAY THE GAME THEN IF IT AFFECTS YOU SO MUCH
funny..i don't see myself telling you to git gud in fact all i did was calling you out on your behavior after so many people basically gave you great advice in the past but you keep whining about the same stuff over and over again afterwards
it is already obvious to everyone you do not want to change and that's cool it's your life my dude.

D

Deleted member

i am not blind dude, but don't think all of your past posts are all of a sudden forgotten just because you make a new thread,
and i can easily answer your so called question..if you don't have fun and knowing from your past posts you probably won't in the future either..DO NOT PLAY THE GAME THEN IF IT AFFECTS YOU SO MUCH
funny..i don't see myself telling you to git gud in fact all i did was calling you out on your behavior after so many people basically gave you great advice in the past but you keep whining about the same stuff over and over again afterwards
it is already obvious to everyone you do not want to change and that's cool it's your life my dude.
That's another thing that's infuriating to me: You assume that I don't make an effort to follow any advice.

I'm not obligated to tell anyone the result of following advice, but if that created assumptions, I'll go right on ahead:

- The whole "git gud" crud. This and related advice I paid close attention to. Prior, I didn't care about hitboxes and spacing and edgeguarding and stuff like that. Now it's stuff I put practice into to improve my game.

- GSP. I previously tied this to my self-worth. After "complaining" about it, it occurred to me that GSP is a useless number that doesn't equate much to skill. Plus, there are people abusing ruleset making to farm it, so it's inaccurate.

- My anger at losing. Taking a break is something I always do.

All that's left is having fun, which I struggle to do because of how losing affects me. Since you say this is unfixable given my psyche, that means I should give up entirely. But Smash Ultimate was my most anticipated game of 2018, and I can't give up on something I really want to love.

J.I.L

That's another thing that's infuriating to me: You assume that I don't make an effort to follow any advice.

I'm not obligated to tell anyone the result of following advice, but if that created assumptions, I'll go right on ahead:

- The whole "git gud" crud. This and related advice I paid close attention to. Prior, I didn't care about hitboxes and spacing and edgeguarding and stuff like that. Now it's stuff I put practice into to improve my game.

- GSP. I previously tied this to my self-worth. After "complaining" about it, it occurred to me that GSP is a useless number that doesn't equate much to skill. Plus, there are people abusing ruleset making to farm it, so it's inaccurate.

All that's left is having fun, which I struggle to do because of how losing affects me. Since you say this is unfixable given my psyche, that means I should give up entirely. But Smash Ultimate was my most anticipated game of 2018, and I can't give up on something I really want to love.
Hm.... you let losing effect you to much. If I lose I get angry, but when I win I get happy again. I don't understand how you lwin but are still bent out of shape because you loss. Did you CHOKE games, or did you just get beat.

D

Deleted member

Hm.... you let losing effect you to much. If I lose I get angry, but when I win I get happy again. I don't understand how you lwin but are still bent out of shape because you loss. Did you CHOKE games, or did you just get beat.
Both happen. I normally choke after just losing a stock or getting comboed. Offstage, I get extremely worried because I've been stage spiked and gimped while far below the stage.

J.I.L

Both happen. I normally choke after just losing a stock or getting comboed. Offstage, I get extremely worried because I've been stage spiked and gimped while far below the stage.
How do you feel when you win games? do you feel relived, happy, exhausted or just indiffernt? If you feel the most latter but angry when you lose something is not right there. Be a glass half full guy, and look to the empty as something to aspire (not EXPECT of) to. And don't listen to McSqurittle and dismiss GSP entirely, that's how you get in this mess of thinking "i'm not good enough". Be proud of your GSP and look to improve it. Obviously do it with class and honor (not put on jank rulesets just to win because of stupdiity).

And also try playing casually with friends or BA if quickplay is too stressful. Build some confidence, but if you can't enjoy your wins. You won't be able to enjoy the game. And that's just something really wrong with you.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
The online is so dog**** and a waste of time in order to learn the game. Laggy ****ing ******* half of the time there and you just coinflip it. Or too scrubby players. Barely ever get practice with an actually good player. Because oh yeh nobody plays online. Nobody does. There are barely any arena's because the online is so ****. In Quickplay I just play the same ****ers all the time

So far only have played against 10k unique people for an online game that has 14 million sales its pathetic. But thats how ****ty the online is. That only a miniscule percentage of the playerbase even wants to touch it.

I dont have an ethernet port because I need to go buy some switch for it. Which is autistic Nintendo. Nintendo doesnt give any ****s about the online and it shows badly. The Smash scene is still niche and small. Smash is such a great game but Nintendo just doesnt ever do anything for the competitive community

They ****ing mocked us with that joke of "official tournaments" they hosted. Like please **** off.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I think you take the game too seriously. I hate that feeling too when it comes to lose streaks, which I call ‘tilting’. What I do is laugh it off. Set it to 1v1, get a slideshow lag FFA with a teaming Ganondorf and Ness tea bagging and teaming on me and eliminating me first? I laugh it off, even as the rage surges underneath.

D

Deleted member

How do you feel when you win games? do you feel relived, happy, exhausted or just indiffernt? If you feel the most latter but angry when you lose something is not right there. Be a glass half full guy, and look to the empty as something to aspire (not EXPECT of) to. And don't listen to McSqurittle and dismiss GSP entirely, that's how you get in this mess of thinking "i'm not good enough". Be proud of your GSP and look to improve it. Obviously do it with class and honor (not put on jank rulesets just to win because of stupdiity).

And also try playing casually with friends or BA if quickplay is too stressful. Build some confidence, but if you can't enjoy your wins. You won't be able to enjoy the game. And that's just something really wrong with you.
Winning used to be satisfying, and is until I lose.

I go to quickplay because of the "Quick" part. I like the gameplay so much that I can't wait so many minutes to get in. I seem to take BAs or friendlies for granted, as I treated them the same way as quickplay. Mistake, I know.

If I enter an arena, what would it offer me that quickplay doesn't?

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
If I enter an arena, what would it offer me that quickplay doesn't?[/QUOTE]
No GSP, so no value is assigned to wins or losses. The only value is pride. The only value is one you assign. If you’re looking to improve, Arena is the place where it feels safe to take risks and try new strategies. It is also great for repeat matches of exactly what you want, no items, no different modes. It’s also fun to mess around in Arena with different modes as well, like Stamina, Custom, FFA, Team Battle etc. Sometimes I like to do one of these modes and enter an Arena and spam taunts and items. Just mess around without caring for wins or losses. Arena is essential for me.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014

well learn to take a break if you get upset for losing

J.I.L

Winning used to be satisfying, and is until I lose.

I go to quickplay because of the "Quick" part. I like the gameplay so much that I can't wait so many minutes to get in. I seem to take BAs or friendlies for granted, as I treated them the same way as quickplay. Mistake, I know.

If I enter an arena, what would it offer me that quickplay doesn't?
What killigar Dark pit said, BA is just more stress free. And if you want serious play but don't want Quickplay, you have veteran player modes and "glorious amsher" modes. Yeah, the waiting is a hassel. I tend to just chill on my phone. If I want chill play on Quick play, pick people you don't really care about and just chill with them. I have for fun characters I use on quickplay after doing heavy competition with my mains. Also, set preferred rules to like team battle and 4 player smahs. You'll still be upset if you lose, but it won't be as stressful since they aren't your serious players. Sometimes if I lose to annoying chracters with my chill character, I just get angry and return back to my main. lol, don't do this..this ain't good advice but still. Thought I'd bring that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom