• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you kill with YOUR Marth?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I've seen a lot of marths out there and every style is different. When i play, i focus on using the combo to approach my opponent and get them airborne. I smack them around till i get them offstage then i dunk them to oblivion. As far as edgeghogging goes i don't do it. Killing someone that way just seems kinda cheap to me (i only do it occasionally on accident). Spiking, smash attacking or shieldbreaking someone to death takes more skill and earns serious pwnage points:chuckle:. Marth is all about flashiness. Tell me how u use your marth.

uremog

Smash Ace
As far as edgeghogging goes i don't do it. Killing someone that way just seems kinda cheap to me (i only do it occasionally on accident). Spiking, smash attacking or shieldbreaking someone to death takes more skill and earns serious pwnage points.
that's too bad. don't confuse harder or riskier things with more skillful things.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I'm a situational killer with Marth.

Almost everything kills with Marth, it's ridiculous.

I've achieved kills with ftilt, fsmash, utilt, usmash, nair, fair, bair, dair, the last forward+B (although that was a fluke), upb, and the counter.

So maybe I'm not so good to combo people to death, but with all these kill moves, I'm good.

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
Well mine would be:
1) Combo people off the stage and initiate edge-guarding.
2) Try and get a good tipper at a rather low %
3) Dolphin Slash
4) Up smash

Basically any reliable kill move Marth can offer.

Oryan

Smash Apprentice
-Dair
-Up+B
-FSmash
-USmash

and I recently started EdgeHogging. I gotta admit, it just feels good doing it.

-Ryan

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
that's too bad. don't confuse harder or riskier things with more skillful things.
I agree and disagree. Most riskier/harder things do take a lot of skill to use without killing yourself or leaving yourself open. It is a high risk, high reward thing. Take Ikes dair spike for example. Sure it is easy to spike people with it provided they cant avoid it, but recovering after doing so can be a problem. Same thing goes for marth's dair. It took me a lot of practice to get it right and actually be able to recover. If skill wasn't necessary to do this then i would have been able to do it without the practice. Therfore practice needed=skill. And on the edgehogging thing i wanna clear it up by saying that i do recognize its usefulness and don't think other people are cheap for using it. Edgehogging takes skill also.

ElSpaniard

Smash Cadet
edge guard that ho with Fairs! and if you dont edge guard then i really think you should reconsider if ya want a chance at tournaments.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I kill with down smash because people say WTF you spaced a down smash?!

lol.

You know, that's exactly what I used to punish missed rests in melee, 'cause it killed Jigglypuff at 40%. good times, good times.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
as people get better at DIing, killing through ceiling is becoming more and more important. uptilt is a great surprise finisher. but usually i finish with ftilt edgeguard, or ff-hug-> bair.

Fornax

Smash Rookie
Edgehogging is an important method of killing and to become a great Marth player one must be good in every aspect and not the just the ones you feel are fair. Believe me, you opponent wont hesitate to do the same to you.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Fair off the stage usually.

Lately I've had a lot of luck using fair off the stage, then using double jump followed by a nair when I'm close to the edge, and then Dolphin Slash back on to the stage. If the opponent manages to get close to the stage he'll get hit by nair, and if he doesn't he just falls off. Either way is good for me. :laugh:

There might be ways around this but against the people I play it works often.

uremog

Smash Ace
I agree and disagree. Most riskier/harder things do take a lot of skill to use without killing yourself or leaving yourself open. It is a high risk, high reward thing. Take Ikes dair spike for example. Sure it is easy to spike people with it provided they cant avoid it, but recovering after doing so can be a problem. Same thing goes for marth's dair. It took me a lot of practice to get it right and actually be able to recover. If skill wasn't necessary to do this then i would have been able to do it without the practice. Therfore practice needed=skill. And on the edgehogging thing i wanna clear it up by saying that i do recognize its usefulness and don't think other people are cheap for using it. Edgehogging takes skill also.
i should smack myself for having used the s-word here. you're right though, knowing how to use a dair off the edge is a skill.

but what i really meant to get at was being able to do these things doesn't make a player good, which is what i meant by skillful. yes, flashy kills look cooler, but i prefer to use reliable methods when i'm serious and play with everything else when i'm not.

i don't want to step on your playing style though. we think differently

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
most of the times its combo>forward smash
sometimes its a spike
but my favorite times is wen i dolphin slash cuz its so suprising and wen u see their face they are all like WTF??!:p

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
After knocking them off stage I like to follow them close with a fair barrage, if not knocked out i will edgehog if it means death for them. Uair also has potential. Smashes like fmash and dsmash aren't uncommon either.

Smash Apprentice
I try not to kill the same way every time (unless I want to punish them), but some of my kill moves are fairing them off the stage, dolphin slash, dair, bair, nair, edgehogging, and d- and fsmash (actually, just about all of them...). I don't use usmash much, because there always seems to be something else to use instead.

locuststorm

Smash Rookie
I generally like to fair and/or nair people off the stage because it's just so much fun. Then, if it's an Ike or someone that relies on the edge to recover I edgehog.
I also use fsmash and up b.
It looks like everyone has a different style though.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
i should smack myself for having used the s-word here. you're right though, knowing how to use a dair off the edge is a skill.

but what i really meant to get at was being able to do these things doesn't make a player good, which is what i meant by skillful. yes, flashy kills look cooler, but i prefer to use reliable methods when i'm serious and play with everything else when i'm not.

i don't want to step on your playing style though. we think differently
Point taken. No one skill makes a player good. Knowing when and being able to use skills does. Yea, i try to use more reliable and less risky methods when i fight seriously (thats why i rarely f-smash). I also think i will practice my edgehogging skills because i would like to win at least one local tournament (i know how cutthroat they are). Thx 2 everyone who suggested i do so.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
as a marth you should try and get the opponent off the edge beacuse it opens a lot of oppurtunities with marth. You can double f-air edgehog which will kill most people. Hold the ledge and when they are close enough drop and bair or nair when and they cant recover from that knockback. Ken combo always is a good idea but the dair is very difficult to land, although once you get used to it, it's just a matter of time till you start spiking all the time. As for the land kills :dolphin slash, fsmash, hydroplaning up smash, uair tipper

CrazyAces00

Smash Rookie
The way I use Marth is different. I don't look to the edge, I look to the sky. I'm a fairly decent juggler when it comes to marth, not like it's too difficult. If I don't kill them while juggling them, I at least get their percentage up enough to dolphin slash them to their doom. I consider myself a fair fighter since I also believe in not edge hogging. It's just an irritation to me and refuse to do it. At Otakon last year I realized the importance of it, but still did not use it in Melee either. I had a fight and ended up 1 on 1 with another Marth, who edge hogged the crap outta me. Had I done the same, I would have won, but it's not my thing.

CrazyAces00

Smash Rookie
I understand it's a good strategy to edge hog, but I have some honor in playing. Not that I have anything against edge hoggers, but personally, I refuse to do it. I just try to find better tactics to counter edge hogging.

V

Smash Ace
i make use of his dash attack and dancing blade alot. shield breaker too. i dont really charge at people with combo flurries all the time. i let them come to me and punish their mistakes. ive really come to like shield break to tip f smash fully charged. that breaks the game wide open in my favor. dancing blade is extremely useful when a fast character attacks constantly because it breaks their attacks up. i need to use dolphin slash more though

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Marth is an offesnisve driven character drewk333, he plays worse on the defensive when he could be comboing with the best aerials in the game. The only reason marth should ever be defensive is if you have learned the new advanced brawl technique, b-sticking/wavbouncing. You're missing out and marth's potencial and they reason why its so fun to play as him

V

Smash Ace
i didnt say im not an offensive player, i just dont ever make the first move. if they're making dumb mistakes all the time then yeah i combo and attack like crazy, but im not purely offensive or defensive. i base my attack strategy on the situation and character for the most part. bottom line, i try to be different than most marth players because most are predictable. i fought one guy who mains marth and does very well in tournaments in a ditto and he said my ground marth is one of the best he's seen and i dont really fight in the air too much. in that match is was more reserved than most because i wanted to win and not make any dumb moves. i ended up beating him by edge hogging after he got too greedy

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Marth is a very an excellent offensive character, but that's not to say his defense is trash.

He can upB out of his shield, his grab can set up combos (although not so much as it did in Melee), and can you say counter?

So you can do whatever you want with Marth. Just win.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Knock them off the stage.

But really, I like to Fair gimp, uair off the top of the stage occasionally, f-smash, dolphin slash out of shield, and occasionally a ledge hopped d-air when I see an opportunity, and I think it will work.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
At times it doesent even matter wether you're predictable or not, an ensluaght of marth's aerials on the edge are the reason that he is in the top tiers in brawls and melee. Yes marth has several defensive options that are super good, but you have to use all of marth's moves to play your best.

Top Bottom