• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you handle pressure?

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Do you guys ever just crack under the pressure of being in a loud environment with a lot of people watching you? What do you do to deal with it? Listen to music/wear headphones (a la Pink Fresh or Leffen)? Take deep breaths/meditate before matches? Eat? Cry yourself into a stupor?

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Best way to handle pressure/distractions is to create said pressure/distractions during your training/smashfests.

Do small 4-8 man tournes with your scene. Have music/TV/a movie playing while you play, etc.

Xalamaris

Smash Rookie
I'm also curious about how folks deal with pressure. I understand the need to be able to create distractions for oneself, especially if the venue you attend happens to be very crowded, but the distractions don't really compare to the number of eyes that are watching. Moreover, the pressure from fighting any particular player seems to add to my stresses.

This previous weekend, July 5th, I attended one of the GameClucks Smash (PM) tournaments. This was my first tournament ever, and it was nice getting to know some of the community there, even if it was just in idle chatter and awkward moments. I was there with friends, so that alleviated some of the overwhelming pressure. Anchors work well, it seems.

However, the first battle I had to face was someone initialed "SW". I was so confused, because the signup sheet didn't have anyone just named "SW". I checked through the list twice before remembering they could be initials, and then I found it. "Oh. Silent Wolf." It took a moment to register, but as soon as it clicked, a sense of dread overwhelmed my senses. As a Wolf main, I am keenly aware of who Silent Wolf is. What I know about playing Wolf came from his replays, along with a handful of other wonderful players.

He was a gentleman about completely reaming me, but in midst of the battle, I didn't know what I was doing. I forgot all the techs I worked so hard to learn. I couldn't hardly Shffl. It was hard for me to look at the match as anything but a warmup for someone I kind of idolize. But even that, stating it was a warmup is a bit of an exaggeration. Defeat came swiftly, at least.

I didn't make it far in the loser's bracket, either. I was too shaken up. After a total defeat like that, I didn't really know how to cope.

What would you guys have done? Do you have little habits or techniques you use to unwind before or after a match? How do you lose gracefully in the face of overwhelming odds?

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Deep breaths. Try not to think too hard about what you're doing. Go in with a game plan so that you have something to fall back on. I like to listen to white noise sometimes if I'm in a crowded venue but don't want to get too distracted by music.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I'm also curious about how folks deal with pressure. I understand the need to be able to create distractions for oneself, especially if the venue you attend happens to be very crowded, but the distractions don't really compare to the number of eyes that are watching. Moreover, the pressure from fighting any particular player seems to add to my stresses.

This previous weekend, July 5th, I attended one of the GameClucks Smash (PM) tournaments. This was my first tournament ever, and it was nice getting to know some of the community there, even if it was just in idle chatter and awkward moments. I was there with friends, so that alleviated some of the overwhelming pressure. Anchors work well, it seems.

However, the first battle I had to face was someone initialed "SW". I was so confused, because the signup sheet didn't have anyone just named "SW". I checked through the list twice before remembering they could be initials, and then I found it. "Oh. Silent Wolf." It took a moment to register, but as soon as it clicked, a sense of dread overwhelmed my senses. As a Wolf main, I am keenly aware of who Silent Wolf is. What I know about playing Wolf came from his replays, along with a handful of other wonderful players.

He was a gentleman about completely reaming me, but in midst of the battle, I didn't know what I was doing. I forgot all the techs I worked so hard to learn. I couldn't hardly Shffl. It was hard for me to look at the match as anything but a warmup for someone I kind of idolize. But even that, stating it was a warmup is a bit of an exaggeration. Defeat came swiftly, at least.

I didn't make it far in the loser's bracket, either. I was too shaken up. After a total defeat like that, I didn't really know how to cope.

What would you guys have done? Do you have little habits or techniques you use to unwind before or after a match? How do you lose gracefully in the face of overwhelming odds?
Don't take it as a loss, take it as a learning experience.
Considering he plays your character, you know that you can copy pretty much anything he did to you.
Recognize that there is a large gap between you and top level players, and aim to slowly close the gap.

As for what to do in that exact moment, just aim to get as far as you can in loser's bracket. Hopefully matches were recorded so you can see what you did right/wrong and how to improve.

Now that it's over, go home, and try to remember everything that made you feel uncomfortable in the matches, and work on getting better against those specific things.

Xalamaris

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, my match was not recorded. It was early on enough that there wasn't necessarily a need to do that in the eyes of the venue. Don't blame them, either. :p

I feel I have a good handle on how to get better as a player. Learn from mistakes. Deal with distractions. Watch more professionals. Keep playing. Keep playing. Keep playing. (Generally, I think I have a few more ideas as to what I would like to do).

Oddly, though, that wasn't what I was asking about. Reading through some other parts of the forum and just general chatter, it seems like people tend to deal with the pressure by just shrugging it off. No clenched stress ball, no particular breathing pattern, no ritualistic sacrifice to a pagan god, or really anything. So I'm under the impression that the generally community shakes off the pre-game jitters by diving into the game and ignoring that they were ever under any kind of pressure. I think that'll just come with practice and more tournament attendances.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
In crowded environments, a good ol' quick breather is enough for me.
Just like in crowded environments, I take a deep breath and go over the things that I practiced. I suppose you just get used to the pressure if you attend tourneys often.
Haha, you should have seen me at my second tournament. I didn't know anyone there, and it almost felt like I was in a different world. I was pretty quiet and non-talkative, and that's the exact opposite of who I am. Heck, there wasn't even that many people.
Since I'm not old enough to drive, I had a parent drive me instead. Oh boy, guess how that went.
"Mom! Wait! J-Just gimme my money back so I can pay the fee, and I'll call when I'm-NO! WAIT! PLEASE DON"T GO INSIDE!"
It was embarrassing. The whole room got silent once she walked in, too. At that point, I already wished I was Up-Smashed into space. Some way to start a tournament. :sick:
When I lost my first set against another player at my second tournament. Basically, it went like:
"Good games man."
"Good...good...you...too...good games."
I couldn't even form my short sentence, and I gave this long stare. Kinda funny when I look at it. :laugh:
But that's just something I have to get used to! I'm confident that once you are, you'll play as if you were practicing in comfort. Well, most of the time, at least.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Going to my first tournament in a month and super nervous. I lead a rock band and have sang in front of hundreds for performances and stuff, but I still can get really nervous, this all seems like good advice.

Gonna wear an Outset shirt and bring along a Lon Lon Ranch jar to help myself get in the zone of Koji Boon, but still nervous. First tourney, big deal. Here we go.

shapular

Smash Ace
Things like that have never bothered me. I don't even really notice when people are watching. I used to get nervous in tournaments a lot (even wifi tournaments), but I guess I've played enough of them that it doesn't happen much anymore. I think it was partly a conscious adjustment and partly unconscious. Sometimes I have to tell myself not to get nervous, but when I do I just stop being nervous. I think it's just a matter of playing in enough tournaments that you're comfortable in the environment.

If you know you're going to get wrecked before a match, it really shouldn't bother you when you do. I played Reflex and Soft in tournament the past couple of weeks and cherished the opportunity to get my butt kicked. I take it as a reminder of how far I have to go, even when I think I'm pretty good sometimes. When I get beat in a close set, I take it as a challenge to get better and beat them next time.

Going to my first tournament in a month and super nervous. I lead a rock band and have sang in front of hundreds for performances and stuff, but I still can get really nervous, this all seems like good advice.

Gonna wear an Outset shirt and bring along a Lon Lon Ranch jar to help myself get in the zone of Koji Boon, but still nervous. First tourney, big deal. Here we go.
What you need to do is go as LLR | Koji Boon so people think you're sponsored and get nervous.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Music is a very good way to avoid cracking, or just use beat headphones and just mute them out.

Top Bottom