• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do you fight olimar

Cort

Apple Head
i have trouble vs olimar, what are his weaknesses. I use MK, DDD, and snake, altho i use mk (mk/ddd) the most.

if i tornado him it does like no damage, his moves seem to have priority over mine, i cant attack from the ground at all cuz of his grab, and he up smashes me if i stay above him, and its hard to gimp good olimars

edit - this is m2k, at cort's house

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
kk so basicallty u wanna kill all the pikmens that come out cuz if he can do a lot of dairs ur basically f'd if i were u i would go snake and sit in ur sheild the most game cuz olimar cant really do anything if ur shielding

gl and i love ur avatar hahaa goodfellas is a such a great movie

Awex

Smash Lord
Whoever you are, Lovage, you have no idea what you're talking about. That's not even Goodfellas, it's The Usual Suspects, moron. =/

It's nice to see you in the Olimar boards, M2K. Against Olimar I suggest using lots of Grenades (Neutral Special) to really stop Olimar's Dash Attacks and Down Tilts, they can be a mighty approach

Snail

Smash Lord
Meh, MK is a harder matchup for Olimar than Snake is in my opinion. Forget D3, he's much easier than Snake and MK for us.

The way to get Olimars out of their shield is to constantly hover above them using MK's Dair. You'll have to space it perfectly to avoid getting an upsmash to the face, but if you do it right you'll hit them eventually as the shield gets smaller.

But yeah, you should try to stay in the air. On the ground, Olimar is a beast, but I don't think his priority is better than MK's in the air... ><

Ignore Lovage. Shielding too much will get you heavily punished, and Dair isn't exactly one of Olimar's essential moves...

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
so I just have to be more patient. After a few dair camping, I get really impatient. It's like I can't approach him on the ground at all. How do you kill his pikmin easily? I don't know anything about matchups in this game yet, it's too new, I just do whatever.

shanus

Smash Hero
Also, don't spam shuttle loop. Most MKs auto-tune to using shuttle loop frequently once they get a character in the air. It's very easy for olimars to just whistle armor your shuttle loop and make you eat an upsmash etc.

Snail

Smash Lord
so I just have to be more patient. After a few dair camping, I get really impatient. It's like I can't approach him on the ground at all. How do you kill his pikmin easily? I don't know anything about matchups in this game yet, it's too new, I just do whatever.
I'd forget about killing his Pikmin. It's impossible if they're following Olimar, basically the only way to kill them is attack when Olimar whiffs a side-B. Since he can pluck new ones so easily and quickly, I would just concentrate on other things. I personally love it when people start attacking my Pikmin since it gives me openings to grab, shfair or even run in and upsmash.

Anyway, it's hard to approach Olimar on the ground. You -could- try to spotdodge a grab and grab yourself, but I don't think that's easy to time... and Olimar hasn't got a lot of lag on his grabs, so it's not like you can do a Fsmash or something if he misses a grab. Yeah, just be patient, stay in the air, get Olimar above you if you can (although I wouldn't know how. Any semi-intelligent Olimar is not going to jump above a MK. Upthrow perhaps?) and don't get grabbed. That's all >_<

And yeah, like shanus said. Don't spam UpB, it's so easy to see coming x_X

Puddin

Smash Lord
It must be Zori because the man says he uses MetaKnight...but loses to Olimar. By the way Snake is just ***** by Olimar, it's a part of the circle of life that you must accept.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
D3 is literally giving Olimar a free win. Snake is managable as well. Olimar can't do anything to your tornado except upb through it, which is usually hard to pull off. Mindgames are usually what is going to win you the match. Since Olimar puts up a great defense, you need mindgames to create an opening. Dsmash is great, even if it doesn't kill Olimar, it puts him far off the edge at ~80 at the center of fd and makes it hard to recover. Try and go for gimps, and don't get mindgamed yourself. You will die very easily once you hit the 90s, and even in the high 70s a purple usmash will do the trick. Just play smart and never leave yourself open; you WILL get punished.

Hi M2k.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Because Snake has very little gimping ability, and what with D3 being a huge target for those annoying pikmin for massive damage, your best choice would be MK.

I had an MK be a jerk to me once and he just kept spamming tornado. To be quite honest, there is little to do against it except try to tetherpunch through it, which has alot of lag and is highly punishable if I miss. If you don't want to spam, just remember that there is very little Olimar can do against your priority exept grab, tether, and uair. Off of the stage, Olimar is in real danger against MK, you just have to watch out for that tether stagespike (MK is particularly susceptible to it) and you should be able to gimp him fine if your good at it, and I'm pretty sure you would be : P

IcyLight

Smash Lord
as mk reverse dair extends backwards to keep you out of range of our u-smash exactly like marths dair in melee. tornado is a good shield killer for us but watch out we can punish you if you approach from distance with it. It can sometimes hit us out of our shield if it's a full tornado on the last hit so keep that in mind. prepare to edge hog with dair if we approach from below before tether grabs the edge (after olimar up-b's he can be hit as his pikmin chain pulls him to the ledge EVEN WHEN MK IS STILL ON THE STAGE with dair!) it should be a relatively easier matchup for metaknight unless the olimar is really experienced in this matchup

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
i have trouble vs olimar, what are his weaknesses. I use MK, DDD, and snake, altho i use mk (mk/ddd) the most.

if i tornado him it does like no damage, his moves seem to have priority over mine, i cant attack from the ground at all cuz of his grab, and he up smashes me if i stay above him, and its hard to gimp good olimars

edit - this is m2k, at cort's house
Gimp him 3 times in the match and you win. MK is probably the best to use in this matchup out of who you play, though any Olimar who would give you any trouble at all probably knows the matchup really well.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Be careful, don't stay above Olimar, and play diagonally.

M3zm3r1z3

Smash Apprentice
shff fairs pwn my face, I tested it and it out prioritizes all of olimar's air attacks, I may just be bad against MK but it seems like if you're very fast and agressive and leave few options for the olimar to do anything it makes it very tough. Killing all the pikmin helps too. Just keep playing aggressively because that seems to be the most effective strategy MKs used against me, although the Olimars you are fighting may be better than me I don't know.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I definately think that the whole Mk>Olimar is shifting towards Mk=Olimar. In my personal opinion, the only major advantage Mk has on Olimar is the tornado. Without the tornado, its hard to approach Olimar. Like you said, most Olimars don't get gimped very easily. Tornado becomes predictable and punishable, so your next bet is approaching from the air. Your going to lose on the ground unless you catch the Olimar offguard.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
MK is easily your best bet. approach with tornado, fair, and dair. Split dashattack and dashgrabs evenly, and although killing pikmin isn't a good strategy, play hardcore aggressive and sometimes you will find that a lot get killed naturally. If you don't let us breath then we can't pluck more = a panic stricken and easily gimped olimar. Although it's tough for olimar, most of the MK I play agree that its one of their harder matches as well. Best of luck

Top Bottom