• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

comboking

Smash Master
What are some things that trouble you while battling Ike?

What are some ways Ike players can gimp you?

Do you have an advantage against ike?

What advantage does ike have against you?

This is being used for a matchup guide so please be honest

unit182

Smash Apprentice
Well, when fighting Ike, he generally has more range than you with his attacks. There really is no way to gimp GaW because his recovery is awesome, and it would be very very rare for a smart player to let themselves be gimped. GaW can also combo Ike easliy.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Ike vs Mr. Game & Watch is a very interesting match. Ike is the only member of the cast who can consistently outrange Mr. Game & Watch, but Mr. Game & Watch has so much going for him.

When fighting Ike, it's really important to go at him horizontally, not vertically. Ike's up smash, from an Ike with good timing, makes the key somewhat risky, and trying to fishbowl or up smash him as he comes down on you might be met with the lovely super armor of Eruption. The turtle has to worry about that jab combo a lot, but you beat out the first two hits of it solidly. However, if you get hit or shield the jab combo, do not try to retaliate. Ike will usually just do another jab combo to hit you out of your "counter". Backing off and approaching anew with the turtle is pretty much always best when Ike has you in trouble.

Ike is obviously pretty gimpable over the ledge. Jump out and forward aerial when he's charging Quick Draw; Ike either gets killed by the forward aerial or releases to his death (even if he hits you, he dies...).

One last thing, don't use down tilt against Ike. It's usually pretty handy, but it's very, very easy for Ike to move in and fsmash you if you get caught in some down tilts. Ike is pretty slow anyway; there's no reason to be shy about throwing out a few more than average forward and down smashes.

All in all, I'd say the matchup is even which is one of Ike's shining moments of pride (since Mr. Game & Watch is so good and all). Mr. Game & Watch has the speed, Ike has the range, and they both have the power.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
well i think if u are fighting a pro ike player that knows all of mr game and watches range and can anticipate what u are going to do next then i think u are pretty screwed unless u can dodge his ftilt ,his slow smashes and his side b but if he catches u in an aether dont try to hit him with fishbowl turtle or box just let him come hit the ground then hit him with ur fsmash or grab him

Neb

Smash Lord
lol, he's taking the information back to his match up thread and foiling up counters. Which is only going to make things harder...well not really, but you get the point, :/. Why are you fueling the fire!?

/THREAD

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
I main olimar and GW, i always use olimar against ike, i cant beat good ikes with my GW (but that might just be because i always use olimar) havent met an ike i couldent beat with olimar.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike loses to G&W.

The main thing G&W needs to do is play defensively. It's a simple matter of finding a way to punish Ike, then juggle him in the air. When he's at high damage, he will be easily finished with a non-sweetspotted D-smash.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If you think you are gonna trade hits with him, don't go in. That is not a good situation for this matchup, remember, no projectiles and he is slow! You don't HAVE to camp, but you can make a safe approach; you can always take your time.

Also, while your smashes are strong, they are stronger coming back from his counter. Don't smash it!

napZzz

Smash Hero
yeah comboking is asking this ? in every character thread dont respond.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Don't make this into an argument, everything we tell him he will eventually learn, and holding back matchup info isn't needed when our character is obviously better =P

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
What are some things that trouble you while battling Ike?

What are some ways Ike players can gimp you?

Do you have an advantage against ike?

What advantage does ike have against you?

This is being used for a matchup guide so please be honest
1. His long range can be a little troubling, and the fact that you can die in about three hits if not careful.

2. Ike can't gimp a good Game and Watch effectively. For the bad ones, he can easily jump out and fair them to death.

3. Yes, Game and Watch has a definite advantage over Ike.

4. Ike has range over Game and Watch, yet that could be overcome with simple defense. He also has power over Game and Watch, but Game and Watch has good speed with above average power.

Basically, if the Game and Watch becomes predictable, take advantage of that and kill him. If he plays cautiously, be careful: it'll be a very difficult fight for the Ike.

Top Bottom