• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Facet

Smash Cadet
Im in a unique position to respond to this thread, since Zelda is my main and Ike is my #2. Two of my friends play Ike (secondaries) so I have quite a bit of experience with the matchup.

Ike is one tough customer. If an Ike player is good at mixing up his attack patterns he is very dangerous. He only needs an opponent to make 1 or 2 mistakes and he'll kill you from low %.

USmash. Its amazing how many problems it solves - chief among them punishing and discouraging rolling and spotdodging.

Bair. Every other move Ike has is pretty slow, but this thing is blisteringly fast, and still hurts like hell.

Most Quick Draws get owned by Dins Fire. Aether usually just gets you punished. Dair is a terrible idea against Zelda since her Uair will beat it every time.

Well, I dont really think many Zelda techniques are significantly better against Ike than other characters, except maybe Dins Fire (Ike has no projectile or reflector) and Lightning Kick (Ike has a relatively large hitbox). Besides those just watch out for Zelda's usual list of great moves; USmash, Dsmash, FSmash, Uair, Dash Attack, etc.

I have a relatively unrefined edgeguard game atm, so Im probably not the best to answer this, but anyways - the one I use most vs Ike is the Forore's Wind trick which allows Zelda to appear in midair right next to the edge with her attacks and jumps available, at which point Lightning Kick spikes the guy on the edge off the underside of the stage.

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria
Zelda is a really tough matchup for Ike. Zelda's moves are faster, have greater priority, can kill from good %s - and she has a projectile. Thus, Ike's margin for error is very small - luckily for Ike, so is Zelda's. Ike only needs Zelda to make one mistake (a sourspotted Lightning Kick, an inaccurate dodge, a whiffed smash, etc) and he can score a kill, or at the very least rack up some good damage. Relying on opposing mistakes is not the best situation, but its the reality for Ike in this matchup (well, in most of his other matchups too, but I digress...). Thus, my advice is to be as unpredictable and confusing as possible. Zelda has answers to everything you can do, so you need to get inside the Zelda player's head and make him scared to use them.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
If I'm having a bad day he's a cheap piece of **** :) On any other day, though, I think he's a formidable opponent with excellent moves, and a strategy that generally includes having to pull off a smash attack no more than three times.

Well...honestly after I'm up past 40%, I fear ANY move from Ike. But if I have to be specific about what I fear "in general" I guess Up-Smash and Down-Smash.

Tilts and Aether. They're easily punishable from Zelda's perspective.

Up-Smash and Up-Air. Farore's Wind, too, because it gets Zelda away from most of his attacks and if done correctly, Zelda can usually reappear and punish Ike.

Facet had a great response to this and other than a technique like that, a quick Din's Fire just under his legs as he stops flashing does well. A Down-Smash will occasionally hit his fingers and do a good job but it's not usually worth the risk. Otherwise I think I usually end up letting him get back up and kill him with a Lightning Kick or something else. I don't find Zelda's edge game to be very good.

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria.
If I were an Ike player, I would be MUCH more afraid of Sheik than I would be of Zelda. Zelda has a lot going for her, but I've found the VERY best way to kill Ike is to become Sheik and transform back into Zelda only to deliver the final blow for each life until the game is over. Ike has a ridiculously hard time against a talented Sheik whereas he has a much better chance against a talented Zelda.

So to "reanswer" #4, I would turn into Sheik.

Hope all that gives you something to work with. :)

ZeldaDestiny

Smash Rookie
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

Too big heavy and slow.

bair. that;s about it, other wise i run circles around him.

cstick, up-b(nayru's love cancels that out.)

Ike is excessively vurnalble to Zelda's smashes, ALL of them. You can even sneak a smash in while he's fsmashing

downspike, down smash, din's fire

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

the shiek fan ftilt "bug" make short work of any heavy character including ike.

Luthien

Smash Ace

Too big heavy and slow.
Not really. His power is enough to at least balance out all of those setbacks. He's a fearsome character.

bair. that;s about it, other wise i run circles around him.
... um... wow. I fear pretty much all of Ike's moves. If any of them land, I'm not a happy camper.

Oh, and Ike may be slow, but Zelda isn't exacly fast. I don't think Zelda's quite capable of running circles around him.

cstick, up-b(nayru's love cancels that out.)
Er.... when exactly is your opponent's Ike using his up-b? It's not incredibly smart to use Aether as an aggressive tool from what I understand, however, it is an very safe move to use as a recovery. The invicibility frames take away some of Din's value as an edgeguarder, and impossible to get past with any other moves.

Ike is excessively vurnalble to Zelda's smashes, ALL of them. You can even sneak a smash in while he's fsmashing
Nope. The Ikes you've been facing probably have not been approaching with fairs. An Ike's fair outranges all of Zelda's smashes. The only hope you have against a fair approach is usmash, and that's only if you're close. If the Ike is spacing adequetly, smash spam will not win you the fight.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Annoying, Powerful, Punishes far too easily, Stupid :(

Fair, Bair(ish), All of his Smashes, Esp Usmash, Neutral A
Uair, Dair, Quick Draw, Eruption, Aether, Counter.
Din's Fiyah is a pretty good tool if you use it intelligently, Other than that I believe a Zelda has to be more defensive than usual in an Ike fight, since I think that a good Ike will wait for you to come to him, just like a good Zelda.
I dunno, I don't edgeguard. I'm too much of a pansy.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You posted the same exact thing on both Bowser and Pit sections...
But since my Zelda has some slight problems with Ike, I can say that I hate Ike's Fsmash and Neutral A a lot.
If they get too close, i would use Neutral B to try to keep my distance. Of course, Id use Din's Fire to disrupt Ike when he is trying to recover.
This is all the info i can give since im cautious about what's going on here.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Yo, Trebor-Nella, I wanna start by saying that I really liked your match-up thread (now more of a guide) in the Ike forums. It helped my friend's Ike a lot.

Anyway, back on topic,

1) I think Ike is a difficult character to use. The high start-up and ending lag on most of his attacks, his highly gimpable recovery, and overall lack of movement speed mean that he can ill afford mistakes. That being said, he has wicked damage, knockback, and range on most of his moves meaning that in the right hands, your opponent won't be able to afford mistakes either. Luckily, Ike seems to have enough quick attacks and movement options so that he is able to be both offensive and defensive if necessary.

2) Neutral A, Fair, Bair, DownB

3) Dtilt, Fsmash, Dair, Neutral B, Side B, UpB

4) I'm more of a campy Zelda so a lot of Din's Fire for me. Zelda's smashes really seem to give Ike problems. The Dsmash in particular is lethal as punishment because of the speed and the knockback angle. Also, transforming to Sheik seems to give my friend trouble too, but that's probably just because he doesn't adapt well during a match.

5) I typically use Din's Fire to harrass, so I can connect with a Dsmash if Ike fudges the recovery. I also try to jump off after Ike and Fair/Bair/Uair him when I'm winning, most people are pretty afraid of eating a lightning kick when they're already off the stage.

Anyway, hopefully this helps.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
gimp the hell out of him! you havce the advantage as zelda
That is unless he knocks you off the stage then measures you for a U-smash or an Fsmash as you teleport back to the stage... That's what costs my Zelda some matches.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord

He's not my kind of character. Powerful, yes, but too slow to get some combos. Must be that giant sword.

C-stick smashes.

Special moves.

Farore's wind, Din's fire, F-air.

Din's fire, d-air, f-air.

Top Bottom