• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with speed?

STAN3x

Smash Rookie
Zelda isn't the most... agile... of characters (albeit, very strong) and I was just wondering how do you counter fast characters such as fox, squirtle (if he's even considered fast... he rocked me pretty hard), etc?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Shield and side dodge. They may be fast, but she'll be able to recover in time totally to deal back damage. If they are doing the same, then figure out the times to grab and the times to hold off just that half second to retaliate for some serious damage.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Nayru's Love tends to outrange and outprioritize many speed characters. Should be a decent way to disrupt their advances.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Nayru's love is the number one answer to fast characters.
In some situations Fsmash can defend against charges, it has about as much range as any Fsmash.
It's also possible to use one tactical Din's Fire on a charging opponent, to hit or force a dodge or shield. If you don't do that right you'll get punished though.
When my friend uses Sonic, I use Dtilt. Dtilt doesn't get a lot of love in some people's Zeldas, but it has more range than it looks like it should have and a good tendency to prioritize attacks, and trip them. The move combos into Nayru's love, grab, or Ftilt. (It can combo into Utilt too, but it's a good idea to save Utilt's strength every chance you get.)

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I usually use Usmash... NL as a counter to advances usually just results in one cute little hit and getting grabbed from the lag.

Zelda's Dtilt owns! My friends get so annoyed when I use it.

S2

Smash Lord
Easy answer is camp. Din's fire + Naryu's love make that very possible.

Zelda doesn't have a lot of good approaches due to her lack of speed and moveset. She is, however, very good at forcing opponents to come to her. And holding your ground with correct spacing, Zelda can defend herself very well.

So you don't need to play aggressive, but you can every once and a while to throw your opponent off (if you think he's starting to predict you).

As said before Naryu's love and Zelda's d-smash are both very fast moves that'll get a fast opponent off of you. Don't forget you can d-smash out of a shield.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Easy answer is camp. Din's fire + Naryu's love make that very possible.

Zelda doesn't have a lot of good approaches due to her lack of speed and moveset. She is, however, very good at forcing opponents to come to her. And holding your ground with correct spacing, Zelda can defend herself very well.
What about fast characters who can camp, like Fox? Is there a good approaching tactic for if he just starts spamming his blaster? It seems like trying a Din's Fire would be easy for them to dodge and would leave you vulnerable.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
^If you're far enough away that he can't just dash and get you during the lag, I Nayru's Love the lasers because even though it's not much punishment it's often annoying enough to get them to stop lasering you. Or at least spot dodge lasers enough (works better with Falco than Fox) and when the Fox is not as successful as he wants to be he'll probably stop with the laser spamming. OR, jump enough to avoid the laser stopping you, and teleport where the Fox is standing/where he will move when he sees you teleport. There are a lot more options now for dealing with laser spamming Foxes than in Melee... at least, I think so.

You can even jump and Din's Fire in some laser spam situations.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I usually use Usmash... NL as a counter to advances usually just results in one cute little hit and getting grabbed from the lag.
I like to camp alot and use up smash. Let them rush in, they arent going through an up smash from above. Granted, its situational...but against the slower learning foes ive been able to pull off 5 or 6 in a row before they got the picture.

hario.hige

Smash Cadet
How about Metaknight's dash attack to dsmash? He ends up behind you and I haven't been able to turn around and grab him fast enough. He just doesn't have enough lag at the end of the dash attack for me to punish him.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I usually Spam Up+B not only to annoy the enemy, but use it as an offensive weapon as well.
Though I have problems with Falco when trying to do this, and it's because of his accursed blaster.

BlackTulip

Smash Cadet
Theres many ways to stop speed characters with Zelda by the way I see it.

1.) Camp lol
2.) Up Smash (to stop things like Fox Illusion, Pikachus OverB and so on...)
3.) As many have stated Nayru's Love
4.) Shield Grab Downwards to Fair or Uair seems to work well with me

Just some of my opinions
But anyway ZELDA IS TOP TIER!!!!!!!

Top Bottom