• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I stopped getting killed by high-tier characters such as Fox?

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
I keep getting killed by Fox, Falco, Shiek, and the other high-tier characters. I'm not a pro, I've started to use link lately. I can kill Roy without losing a stock, but when it come to fast characters, I'm dead. Any advice?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Shffl.
Link NEEDS Shffling. Without it he is pretty slow and yes, he is outsped by the likes of Fox, Falco.
But really, your question doesn't give out too much info. Exactly what is aggravating you about these guys?
Laser spamming? Waveshining? Sheik proness? =P

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
This will help...

Be patient and counter attack when their action sequence is over. rushing into battle against a foe that fast is foolish.

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
My problem is that they just keep hitting me... and it's hard to get an attack on them. I'll work on my SHFFLing, thanks.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
My problem is that they just keep hitting me... and it's hard to get an attack on them. I'll work on my SHFFLing, thanks.
you NEED spacing more then anything else especailly agins marth and them. Use the projectiles to interrupt their attact and then go in with a nair orj ust get a combo started and be careful against fox because if you use dair or spin or hook shot and dont hit he can waveshine you anywhere. But hey thats just my advice

DarkLink--Ita

Smash Cadet
Yeah, spacing A LOt, and spam bombs and boomerang, mainly with Sheik.
Pay attention to your enemy's attacks and try to braek their combos with a good Nair or (if you're SURE at 100% with a grab), don't be predictable with grabs, even if their are awesome. (Against Fox and Falco, up grab-->up tilt X2---> Dsmash or SHHFL). So, keep distance between you and your enemy and spam, spam spam (prejectiles and SHFFL, specially Nair). Up tilt and Down smash works good too.
Work on those, hope to see some vids :)

Dark Thoughts

Smash Rookie
best way ive found to keep up with a fox is to stay away from waveshines and do lots of nair Shffld combos and when hes trying to recover throw a bomb or boomerang and hes gone

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
Thanks for the help, I've been using Link for about 4 days now, but I picked him up pretty well. I just have trouble with SHFFLing and some other things,theres so much info and techniques I need to learn and practice..

Deva

Smash Lord
You have two options

1: Stop playig Link and switch to a high tier.

2: Keep practicing with Link for months against Top tiers till you learn what works

If you chose 2, here's some advice:

Falco: This matchup really isn't that bad. Just jump over the lasers and spam bombs as you approach. For me at least, they seem more useful than rangs in this matchup. once you close in, don't get too close. be close enough so your jab hits but far enough so he can't grab you. then alternate between shffled nairs and jabs while he's shielding. Also throw in a shffled fair for extra knock back. Then, if you ever see him get hit by your nair, an attempted grab is pretty safe. if you get in a fair while using this jab aerial spacing, it's also pretty safe to d-smash afterwards between the fair and the d-smash, it should push him back far enough while shielding so he can't hit you after the d-smash and perhaps your shield pressure has eaten away enough so that the d-smash actually hits. Then you caneither tech chase or d-smash to dash attack combo. Now, this is if you succeed in approaching Falco. Sometimes those lasers just seem to ground you to the point where it's nearly impossible to move. Now You can usually jump out, but if you get hit by the lasers and Falco starts approaching, put up your shield. Watch to see if he will shl into a grab or an aerial. if he goes for a laser to grab, roll. if he goes for a laser to aerial, shield DI away from Falco as the aerial hits. Falcos' like to pillar Links' shields with the shffled dair to shine pillar. When you DI away with your Shield, Falco's shine will no longer hit you. They can't tell though so they'll still shine. Just shield grab after his aerial for Free combos. In most cases it's stupid to shield grab with Link. It works here though because the extra frames between the time Falco hits your shield to his shine allows you to grab him if you DI away.

Fox: Probably the most difficult, but still doable. Fox is a lot faster and can run circles around Link and his projectile game. In general, rely on bombs a bit more in this match up. Full jump a lot, and sometimes double jump while pullng/throwing bombs. Then, as Fox gets closer, or as you approach, Full hop Nair and jump out into a fair or another nair or out of your bomb throw. then use the same spacing and shield pressure as used against Falco.

Shiek: This is actually a really fun matchup just because you can combo her so well. In this match rely on both bombs and rangs due to Shieks ground heavy game play. A nice way to spam is to turn and run for a split second, then short hop turn and throw your boomerang or bomb. Every time you turn Shiek willl think your running and will approach, not expecting a projectile. Don't try to pressure Shiek's Shield like Fox and Falco. Her grab range is much better and Spacing in general fails. Only approach if you see a projectle hit. When she start to get close, jab and d-smash. If it look like she'll approach with a dash attack or a tilt, cc d-smash for nice combo starters. Really, watch out for the grab. Her tilt combos are easy enough to DI out of. but Chain grabbing can be a pain. At first, if the Shiek is CGing, DI up and a little towards Shiek. you should be able to jump out of the CG because of weird positioning and the Shiek usually won't realize she needs to turn to grab you since you appear in front of her. After a few missed CG's, the Shiek may realize she can u-smash you from your DI. From there, DI just aliitle foreward and you still appear to be in the same place but the u-smash won't hit. In genereal, this will reduce the chain grabbing to a 50/50 guessing game between Link and Shiek. Hopefully luck will be on your side.

D

Deleted member

heres some tips that work for me

waveshining (really annoying >_<)
when a fox rapeshines you, your main choice of recovery should be the hookshot (try as hard as you can to sweetspot it) then ledge hop to nair

up throw to uair (still annoying)
try to get your DI crazy mad, when DI'ng try to stop spinning (left right left right) then jump to D-air his face

shine to smash/grab
try as hard as you can to sheild his shine (he might grab you so shield dash backward) if he doesnt grab you, but instead smashes you, wait after the smash and shield grab him and try to juggle him as long as you can until you can get some edge guarding done

repetitive nair's (no fox i know has nair'd me over 10 times...still too much tho...)
RRRUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN, seriously fox combos link way too much, use that crazy DI again until you can show him how the heel of your boot feels

orintemple

Smash Lord
Boomerang is your friend. I use it right before almost every advance I make. Link is a pretty defensive character though. Shffl Nair is your other friend. Don't be afraid to spam projectiles as long as it is leading into an advancement toward some strikes or grabs.Remember to play defensively and not just rush into battle mindlessly. Your slow, Shfflling will speed you up considerably but the higher tier characters are still going to be faster than you, which is why you need defense. Just try get that thought out of your head that stuff is "cheap" and do what you need to win. Save for physical contact with the other player :chuckle:

technomancer

Smash Champion
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the link boards are made of noob, except Deva.

Against Fox, you really just have to know what's coming and be a few steps ahead, and learn how to KO from a grab. This is Link's hardest matchup if the Fox is pro.

Sheik is unwinnable, but the matchup is pretty simple: don't get grabbed, use your sex to get out of trouble, land hits where you can, grab->dthrow->KO hit (downair or whatever you like) at high percents.

Marth is very winnable, just place good attacks in his aerial lag, and DI like a fiend (DI across Marth to get out of utilt combos, otherwise away, and down if you get grabbed).

Falco is like Fox, but just use the platforms as much as you can and Sex Kick him off you like crazy, sex kick off the side to edgeguard.

Saucemonster

Smash Rookie
When I am playing against a fox or falco, I make sure I have a bomb out at all times. The reason for that is:
- you can drop a bomb in an instant. So if you are stuck shielding, you can jump and drop the bomb to avoid the ****.
- you can throw it like normal if you want to go on the offense.
- they blow up when fox is trying to waveshine or falco is trying to pillar.
- you can also throw them out of your shield.
- they can help you recover

- it's funny when you get a bomb to SCRAAA (up b) combo

Other than that, it's just a lot of downsmashing and up airs.

Top Bottom